ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Soldier Field, Chicago- October 11, 2006
© Parmeda, thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Poll: Should the Foley Thread continue Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
6th October 2006 08:55 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

It may appear that way,but it was actually a response to what I thought was MM's infering that Diebold hacked into the voting machines back in 2004 to insure Bush the victory. The 2000 dealio was my way of showing that some wackjobs can not bring themselves to admit that Bush has beaten them twice and no amount of conspiracy theory bullshit can change that real fact. Not that I think MM is a wackjob. He's a straight up guy as far as I can tell.

Riffy

So you did what you accuse the looney liberals of doing, You infered something with no evidence and then ran with it on a rant!
I can provide you the link to this thread if you need me too...
I love yourrant, and I'm laughing, I hope you are too. We get way to serious about stuff...
6th October 2006 08:57 PM
Fiji Joe I think you're all fucking retards...can't carry my jock
6th October 2006 08:58 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
I think you're all fucking retards...can't carry my jock

You wear a jock... LOL!
6th October 2006 09:00 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:

You wear a jock... LOL!

No...I just keep one in my glove box...so punks like you will have something to shoot for
6th October 2006 09:03 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

No...I just keep one in my glove box...so punks like you will have something to shoot for

You post with retards!
6th October 2006 09:07 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
pdog wrote:

You post with retards!

I'm posting at ya...not with ya
6th October 2006 09:10 PM
pdog
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

I'm posting at ya...not with ya

6th October 2006 09:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Foley Factor in Local Races

Last Update: 10/6/2006 6:46:02 PM
WHAM TV - ROCHESTER NY

Evan Dawson (Rochester, N.Y.) – Two new ads hit radio airwaves Friday, slamming Rep. Tom Reynolds and trying to blame him for the Mark Foley scandal.

The Republican incumbent faces Democrat Jack Davis.

Local and political analysts question the factual basis for the ads and they’re hoping the race returns to other issues.

One ad says, “Our Congressman Tom Reynolds is right in the middle of the scandal."

Another said, “A Florida Congressman resigns over inappropriate contact with teenage boys. Reynolds knew of the problem months ago, but he failed to act aggressively to protect the kids.”

The ads are paid for by national groups.

“How do we know for certain he knew about them months ago and did nothing? That's just false advertising,” said Rochester Institute of Technology Professor Spencer Meredith.

Meredith said some voters might be turned off by these kinds if ads, even if they’re not happy with Reynolds’ contact.

“It'll have some play here, but the Republicans have ample opportunity and ammunition to put it in context, put it in a box, and set it on the shelf,” he said.

Meredith believes voters want to know how Davis and Reynolds will vote on jobs and trade issues.

Davis supports tariffs on imports from China, saying they’ll help protect American jobs. Reynolds has ripped tariffs in the past, but last week said he’s undecided on the issue.

With four and a half weeks before the vote, Meredith predicts Mark Foley will be a blip on voters’ radar, and will sink far below other issues.
----------------------------------------------------------

Foley Scandal Shadowing Campaigns
Oct 6, 2006

(CBS) There's one question that every politician, pollster and strategist in both parties is asking: How is the Foley mess playing in Peoria?

Mark Foley is all over the news and affecting races everywhere, CBS News correspondent Gloria Borger reports.

If it's at the top of the Peoria newscast - and it is - you can be sure that Republican candidates from Boca Raton to Buffalo are very nervous.

Tom Reynolds is the House Republican campaign chief, whose tough race for re-election in upstate New York is now even tougher since he was among those House leaders told about the original Foley e-mails.

"When I found out about this whole instance for the first time in the spring of '06, I reported it to my supervisor like anyone would in an office situation. I took it to the speaker of the House," Reynolds said.

Then there's Republican Clay Shaw. He's been in a tight race all year. His Florida district is next to Foley's, and that doesn't help.

"I honestly think that those who perhaps weren't that informed or didn’t pay that close attention previously, I think they're probably paying more attention now," one Florida voter says.

Friday, New Jersey's Republican Senate candidate Tom Keane threw Hastert overboard, calling publicly for his resignation.

In Columbus, Ohio, where the Foley scandal is a new factor in an already tight race for Congress, CBS News correspondent Lee Cowan reports that voters are simply fed up. The war and the economy were the issues being talked about there, but since last week, it’s all about Foley.

"People would rather talk about scandals, rather than what's really happening, and what's really going on," Jack Steele, a Columbus stylist, told CBS News.

Both sides in Columbus are worried that, at the very least, the Foley scandal may affect voter turnout. There's concern that it may offer some kind of rationale for apathy from both Republicans and Democrats.

Meanwhile, most Republicans throughout the country, from the very top down, are simply trying to get back to their issues.

"Today, we got more good news. The national unemployment rate is down to 4.6 percent," President Bush said earlier today.

Democrats, for a change, are all speaking the same language, from their House campaign chairman to the ads they're running against Republicans.

Rahm Emanuel, House Democratic Campaign Chairman says, "You cannot change Washington unless you change the people you send to Washington."

This has been a long week for Republicans. In 30 days, they'll find out whether they’re about to have a long couple of years. It will depend on just how much the Foley mess really matter to voters.

CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
6th October 2006 09:16 PM
Riffhard I see so Feej meets Chaz and all a the sudden he's the coolest cat on the board! I smoked a joint with Jagger damnit!! Here son carry this jock for me will ya?!

Riffy
6th October 2006 09:19 PM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I see so Feej meets Chaz and all a the sudden he's the coolest cat on the board! I smoked a joint with Jagger damnit!! Here son carry this jock for me will ya?!

Riffy

Heavy weight title fight postin' right there!
6th October 2006 09:21 PM
pdog Jack Davis

Not, another millionaire Democrat... He'll save us from Homos!
6th October 2006 09:25 PM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:

Heavy weight title fight postin' right there!

Damn straight my brother! Get up Sonny/Feej!

Riffy
6th October 2006 09:28 PM
pdog Fiji after the fight!
6th October 2006 11:56 PM
Riffhard This Foley scandal is only about protecting the young pages right? Surely there is no politicing going on here by Dem operatives? Surley not! Right? Riiiiiiigggghhhhtttt. Gee,I wonder then why this deceptively named group is trying to make so much political hay out of it?

Riffy

By Mark R. Levin

Michael Lux is president of a group called American Family Voices, which has both a commercial and non-profit registration. It is now making a zillion recorded phone calls to Republicans telling them to call their Republican House members and urging them to ask for the resignation of the GOP leadership. Numerous callers to my radio show tonight, from different parts of the country, received the recorded phone calls.

It turns out that Lux served at the White House from Jan. ‘93 to‘95 as a Special Assistant to the President for Public Liaison. In 1992, Lux served as the Constituency Director on both the Clinton-Gore campaign and the Presidential transition.

Carol Trevelyan Strategy Group is the registed agent for American Family voices, which is linked here. She is also involved in The Emerging Democratic Majority website and E-newsletter linked here.

The Clintonoids are trying to take out Hastert — for the kids, of course.

7th October 2006 12:25 AM
sirmoonie Skankspank!

7th October 2006 02:14 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
I think you're all fucking retards...can't carry my jock

7th October 2006 08:47 AM
rasputin56
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
This Foley scandal is only about protecting the young pages right? Surely there is no politicing going on here by Dem operatives? Surley not! Right? Riiiiiiigggghhhhtttt. Gee,I wonder then why this deceptively named group is trying to make so much political hay out of it?

Riffy

By Mark R. Levin

Michael Lux is president of a group called American Family Voices, which has both a commercial and non-profit registration. It is now making a zillion recorded phone calls to Republicans telling them to call their Republican House members and urging them to ask for the resignation of the GOP leadership. Numerous callers to my radio show tonight, from different parts of the country, received the recorded phone calls.

It turns out that Lux served at the White House from Jan. ‘93 to‘95 as a Special Assistant to the President for Public Liaison. In 1992, Lux served as the Constituency Director on both the Clinton-Gore campaign and the Presidential transition.

Carol Trevelyan Strategy Group is the registed agent for American Family voices, which is linked here. She is also involved in The Emerging Democratic Majority website and E-newsletter linked here.

The Clintonoids are trying to take out Hastert — for the kids, of course.

Wait a second. The Democrats are trying to take advantage of yet another Republican scandal? What? The horror, the horror...

Such hypocrisy by the right with their faux indignation and actually whining about a party and their "secret operatives" pulling out all stops to make sure the other guys really get the heat. So funny! See "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth" as the most recent example. Damn you people have mastered the art of dirty tricks, orchestrating "mass" mailings and phone calls to reps. and sens. and putting the so-called screws to the other party when they're in trouble. Sheesh, are you actuall giving credit to the Democrats for coming up with this stuff by themselves? Please, save the whining for early November.

Maybe if they spent half as much time on governing as they do with coming with clever names like "Clintonoid" or "Clintonista" (again with that creepy obsession, very weird, all that hate), your party wouldn't have become as corrupt in 12 years as it took the Democrats 40 to do. Sit back and enjoy. And while in PA, be sure to vote for Don Sherwood.
7th October 2006 09:42 AM
lotsajizz fuckin' A--the unAmerican right can dish it out, but freak out when actually having to take it....face it you statist extremists, your party enabled a pervert to predate on minors....for years

no amount of your embarassing twisting and turning can evade that fact
7th October 2006 11:00 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I'm trying to figure out a clever way to tar Chandler Woodcock, (the Republican challenger to current Maine Dem gov Valdacci)with the Foley brush somehow.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
7th October 2006 12:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels In a February 1991 article for Life Magazine, Atwater wrote:

My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The '80s were about acquiring -- acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul.
7th October 2006 12:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ed Rollins, who managed Ronald Reagan's 1984 re-election campaign, tells several Atwater stories in his 1996 book, Bare Knuckles And Back Rooms. According to Rollins, Atwater ran a dirty-tricks operation in 1984 against vice-presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro. This included the allegation that Ferraro's parents had been indicted for numbers running in the 1940s. Ferraro disappeared for a few days to 'recover' from the accusation. Rollins also described Atwater as "ruthless," "Ollie North in civilian clothes," and one who "just had to drive in one more stake."

7th October 2006 12:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Atwater's most noted campaign was the 1988 presidential election. A particularly aggressive media program, including a television advertisement related to the case of Willie Horton, a convicted murderer who subsequently committed a rape while on a furlough from a life sentence in a Massachusetts prison, led to George H. W. Bush overcoming Michael Dukakis's 17-percent lead in early public opinion polls and win both the electoral and popular vote. Although Atwater clearly approved of the use of the Willie Horton issue, the Bush campaign never actually ran a commercial with Horton's picture, instead running a similar but generic ad. The original commercial was produced by an ostensibly independent group managed by Floyd Brown, and the Bush campaign benefited from the coverage it attracted in the national news.

During the election, a number of false rumors were reported in the media about Dukakis, including the claim by Idaho Republican Senator Steve Symms that Dukakis's wife Kitty had burned an American flag to protest the Vietnam War, as well as the claim that Dukakis himself had been treated for a mental illness. Atwater was accused of having initiated these rumors, although there is no direct proof that he did so.

During that election, future president George W. Bush, the then vice president's son, took an office across the hall from Atwater's office, where his job was to serve as "the eyes and ears for my dad," monitoring the activities of Atwater and other campaign staff. In her memoir, Barbara Bush said that George W. and Atwater became "great friends."

7th October 2006 12:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 1984: The Slimiest Snake of All Crawls Out From Under A South Carolina Rock.

Walter Mondale actually had Ronald Reagan on the ropes briefly after the first debate. Reagan was immensely popular, but the deficits were raging and trickle-down economics weren't working for everybody. In the final month, Mondale was looking like he might make a race of it. But Reagan's political director was none other than the brilliant and dangerous Harvey LeRoy Atwater, who had been Strom Thurmond's boy in South Carolina and had run Reagan's campaign there in 1980.

Few political junkies of any persuasion would dispute the enormous influence of Lee Atwater in the shaping of the modern Republican Party. He had a short, but power-packed life at the top of the Republican political heap (more in a minute). Now, back to 1984. Who do you think the brilliant Lee Atwater brought in to get the Reagan communications mule out of the ditch? You guessed it: Mr. Roger Ailes. And the rest is history. Atwater and Ailes gave Mondale the ass whippin’ of his long political career and formed an unholy alliance that still haunts Democrats today. Before he died in 1990, Atwater had schooled Karl Rove and George W. Bush in the slime bucket tactics which were his stock in trade. Lee Atwater's legacy lives on with a vengence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

7th October 2006 01:19 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The Legacy of Lee Atwater

Clinton's triumph over the Reagan/Bush legacy in '92 taught the Republicans a hard lesson: the American people were disenchanted with the traditional Republican image of the preppie, landed, white man of hereditary wealth. President George H. W. Bush had made the tragic mistake of giving interviews from the back of his golf cart. [Brady, John. Bad Boy: The Life and Politics of Lee Atwater. Reading: Addison Wellesey, 1997. p. Tk.] His re-election chances slid fast after he appeared to fail to recognize a bar code scanner in a supermarket trade show. [Miller, p. Tk] Bush was alienated from the objects and processes of regular life. His speech and thinking were alienated from the issues and cares of normal people. When the media picked up on the price scanner embarrassment, Bush's distance from the people made headlines. Chaos reigned. Clinton, and even Perot, dominated Bush in polls.

In 1988, a dream team of Lee Atwater, Karl Rove, and eldest son George W. Bush helped papa Bush swamp Dukakis. They used negative television ads and media spin. Perhaps more importantly, the flamboyant, charismatic, and utterly driven Lee Atwater knew how to translate poll data into a reading of subtle shifts in the thinking of the nation. In a way, Atwater's ghost haunted the 1992 campaign. Atwater (and later Horowitz) understood the importance of the social activism of the Baby Boomer generation. Clinton represented "all those hip, New Politics things Atwater had seen coming." [Minutaglio, ibid ]

Atwater understood that the upheavals of the '60s had created a seismic shift: people demanded more humanity from their leaders. The good old boy model in the Republican Party was dead and ninety percent of the country was not mourning it. In fact, Atwater's unfinished PhD dissertation drafted a thesis having to do with the political use of music, a lesson obviously learned from the antiwar movement that seamlessly blended culture and politics. (Conservative social critic David Brook's recent Bobos in Paradise further elucidates the shifting zeitgeist, in his analysis of the bohemian, anti-establishment buying habits of the "new Ruling Class.")

By 1992, Atwater was dead of brain cancer, Rove was working for Philip Morris, and first son George W. was working as the financial face man for the management of the Texas Rangers. Junior was not asked to work on the campaign until the last minute. Too little, too late, young Bush approached his father and discussed whether Vice President Dan Quayle should de dropped from the ticket. He begged that his dad replace the incompetent campaign manager Bob Tweeter with someone like Sam Skinner, the former White House Chief of Staff. Both suggestions were ignored.

On Election Day, the voters were attentive and expressive, with the biggest turnout since 1972 (55.1% of all eligible voters). Perot walked away with 19% of the popular vote, a decisive wedge that would have been Bush's if he hadn't alienated it. In addition to his image problem, Bush had made several tactical mistakes. He relied on his Gulf War exploits to maintain his popularity, but the heat of the 91% wartime approval rating cooled by November. Bush alienated moderates and female GOP members by allowing Buchanan to spew forth hate speech at the Republican National Convention in Houston. [Morrow, p. tk] Meanwhile, the stagnant economy wore on. The American people lost confidence in the Republicans and along came Clinton, who represented the hope, drive and optimism of a new generation.
7th October 2006 03:41 PM
sirmoonie An incredibly interesting read, even if its not real. I have no idea whether it is or isn't.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1543658-1,00.html?cnn=yes
7th October 2006 03:43 PM
Dick Bush
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
An incredibly interesting read, even if its not real. I have no idea whether it is or isn't.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1543658-1,00.html?cnn=yes

Moony you darn codger,

Can't you just stop telling "fuck" all the time?
7th October 2006 04:09 PM
LadyJane Read this today...well said!!

No party has a monopoly on morals

10/7/2006

By LEONARD PITTS

So, anybody up for a chat about family values? The term has been a registered trademark of the GOP - the self-styled Morals Party - for years, a bludgeon against Democrats who, by implication, oppose families and have no values.
Like most political language, it's a code, intended to be understood by those with ears to hear. "Family values" means the pol in question has God on speed dial and can be counted upon to oppose gun control, the so-called "homosexual agenda" and abortion, while pushing schools to teach, as Tina Fey once put it, that Adam and Eve rode to church on dinosaurs.

For all its policy implications, though, "family values" has always had a larger meaning. It was an implicit promise to white, non-ethnic, rural or suburban-dwelling, church-going Christian moms and dads that the party would - pun intended - always do the right thing. It was an assurance to Ward and June Cleaver that GOP was the brand name of a certain fundamental decency.

Unless, it turns out, Ward and June were foolish enough to let Wally and the Beav sign up as congressional pages. In that case, kiss decency goodbye.

If the scandal over Florida Rep. Mark Foley's sexually charged e-mail exchanges with teenage boys suggests nothing else, it suggests this: The Republican Party was not overly concerned about the well-being of the children in its care. GOP leaders learned last year - more like two or three years ago, according to one former congressional aide - that Foley was sending "overly friendly" e-mails to pages. The response: no investigation, no censure. Foley was simply told to stop, to behave himself.

As recently as this week, with Foley disgraced and resigned, White House spokesman Tony Snow seemed to still not get it. He initially dismissed the exchanges as "naughty e-mails." Mind you, we're talking about a 52-year-old man discussing masturbatory techniques, setting up dates, and having cyber sex with boys.

Naughty? Try creepy. Try appalling. It's like one of those "To Catch a Predator" hidden camera exposes, except that this predator was a congressman. Even more bizarrely, a congressman who has pushed legislation to protect children from Internet pedophiles.

Now Foley is in seclusion, sending his representatives out with roughly an explanation a day: Foley is a drunk, Foley was molested as a teenager, Foley is gay. Of them all, that last would-be clarification is the most vexing, playing as it does to the conservative predilection for conflating homosexuality and child molestation - as if Foley's actions would be one iota less execrable if the pages were girls. Meantime, his party has its knickers in a knot over whether Speaker Dennis Hastert will survive this scandal.

I am preoccupied by different questions: What should we make of the fact that members of the Morals Party have behaved with such an appalling lack of same? How could our self-appointed decency police have been so inert while one of their members practiced perversion against children? Isn't protecting children a family value?

I make no case for Democratic moral superiority. The Monica Lewinsky, Gary Condit and Barney Frank scandals are too fresh in memory for anyone to suggest that with a straight face. But at least the Democrats had the good sense not to sell themselves as the Morals Party.

The GOP did, and its performance in this affair underscores what a cynical joke that was. To put it another way: It's a long fall from a high horse.

One feels sorry for those who bought what the GOP was selling. One hopes they will be less gullible in the future - will understand that decency and honor are not wholly-owned subsidiaries of any political ideology.

And the Morals Party? There is no such thing.

LJ.
7th October 2006 04:27 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
This Foley scandal is only about protecting the young pages right? Surely there is no politicing going on here by Dem operatives? Surley not! Right? Riiiiiiigggghhhhtttt. Gee,I wonder then why this deceptively named group is trying to make so much political hay out of it?

Riffy

Riffy is shocked--SHOCKED!--to find out that Democrats can use Atwater/Rove tactics, too.

[Edited by Brainbell Jangler]
8th October 2006 04:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Posted on Sat, Oct. 07, 2006

Foley attorney David Roth is go-to guy for Palm Beach elite

BY LARRY LEBOWITZ
Miami Herald

David Roth, attorney extraordinaire in Palm Beach County's most notorious cases, had his hands full before his latest client demanded his attention.

Roth was about to start the highly anticipated retrial of a millionaire real estate investor charged with murdering his fifth ex-wife. And he was negotiating the surrender of a fugitive priest charged with embezzling more than $8.7 million in church donations.

Now he has another job: representing his friend Mark Foley. Since Foley's resignation last week, Roth has been the only voice to speak for the disgraced former congressman.

It was Roth who told the media that Foley is an alcoholic, that he has entered rehab, that he was molested as a teenager by a clergyman, and that he is gay.

And that Foley never had sex with any underage congressional pages.

Those who know Roth say Foley cold not have picked a better advocate.

Roth has been a fixture on the Palm Beach scene for more than three decades, earning a reputation as a straight-shooter with unblinking integrity and as a top-notch negotiator who can deftly maneuver behind the scenes legally while simultaneously spinning the case in front of the cameras.

''David is an excellent lawyer with a well-deserved reputation in Palm Beach for helping people out of perilous positions,'' said Roy Black, the Miami defense attorney who successfully defended William Kennedy Smith on 1991 rape charges in Palm Beach.

Roth represented Smith's accuser, Patricia Bowman, and ''did an excellent job in preparing her to testify and bolstering her side of the case,'' Black said. ``His work on her behalf made my job all the harder. No trial attorney relishes having a David Roth on the other side.''

The 61-year-old Bronx native, a graduate of Brooklyn College and the University of Florida law school, has been practicing law for 37 years. Roth lives on the exclusive island enclave of Palm Beach with his second wife. He runs in Republican circles, which is where he became acquainted with Foley back in the 1970s.

In recent years, he's developed more of a reputation for handling the sticky legal problems that Palm Beach society figures would prefer to keep under the radar than play out in the courts.

Roth declined to return several calls for comment.

''If anyone can take care of this guy [Foley] it's David,'' said Tony Natale, a longtime Palm Beach County defense attorney who now works as a federal public defender in Miami. ``He's a whole lot more than just a mouthpiece or another pretty face. David's an excellent lawyer for this type of case.''

In 1998, Roth and his longtime law partner Douglas Duncan negotiated a probation-and-fine plea deal for bogus Palm Beach socialite Stephen Fagan. Eighteen years earlier, Fagan had abducted his two young daughters from Massachusetts during a custody spat, created a fictional identity for himself and convinced the girls that their mother was dead.

Roth and Duncan have also participated in some noteworthy local trials.

In 1986, Roth and Duncan defended Robert Spearman, a wealthy boatyard owner who used an ad in Soldier of Fortune magazine to hire professional hitmen to kill his wife, an assistant city manager in West Palm Beach. Spearman was convicted of first-degree murder. Three days after prison authorities foiled an elaborate helicopter escape plot, Spearman committed suicide in his cell.

In 2000, Roth and Duncan represented jewel dealer Jack Hasson, who was sentenced to 40 years in federal prison for defrauding a slew of prominent locals -- among them pro golfers Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman -- along with laundering money.

The federal investigation into illicit electronic messages that Foley exchanged with underaged congressional pages is likely to present Roth with much grander challenges, both legal and in the court of public opinion.

''His present job representing Mark Foley is even more difficult,'' Black said, ``but David has done all he can to humanize Foley and present a more sympathetic picture to the public.

``I can read between the lines and see him working feverishly to keep Foley out of the clutches of federal prosecutors. Sending him off to rehab was a great idea and his absence while in the program excuses him from making any personal public comment.''

Former federal prosecutor Mark Schnapp, who has known Roth as both a colleague and an adversary, agrees with Black that there are strategic advantages to getting Foley out of sight.

Sometimes the most difficult clients, Schnapp said, are the ones who aren't used to sitting back and letting their lawyer speak for them, especially someone like Foley, who has relied on a political and public relations machine to shape his message for years.

''David knows how to work his way through a difficult position,'' Schnapp said. ``He's incredibly savvy.

``But he's got his hands full here.''

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)