ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Soldier Field, Chicago- October 11, 2006
© Parmeda, thanks a lot!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Was The Stones' playing ever better than 89-90? Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd October 2006 03:18 AM
Moonisup Don't like the SW tour sound, but the playing is great. I agree with HTM here, is in top form. I;d like to seem him playing like that now!
2nd October 2006 05:09 AM
padre Just watched half of the Atlantic City-89 again closely nad with headphones cranked way up. Woody, Keith and Mick really smoke on it. And they DO rock. Matt Clifford should've been punched in the face every five minutes, but underneath those pan flutes and chimes the Stones kick ass! Keith keeps steady rhythm just like he should and with Woody they both throw awesome licks and solos.
I'm surprised that Mick was sceptic about the extra players, since he seems to rely on Bernard here more than anywhere. Just listen to TD, Bernard backs him up almost throughout the song. Mick really wouldn't have needed that.
2nd October 2006 06:18 PM
MikeyC613 The Atlantic City 89 Tape is the most valuable piece of VHS in my house. Midnight Rambler is fucking incredible, it is the best one I've seen. Four Flicks MSG's Rambler is quite good, but I think the part where Keith puts the pick in his mouth, puts his hand on Mick's shoulder, and continues hammering notes is unbelievable.

The sound is a little slick and the outfits/haircuts/musicians are nerdy and unfortunate, but I get feeling that most things in 1989 were nerdy and unfortunate(I was 5). Axl Rose getting the "get him outta here" thumb from Keith is a great moment I never get tired of.

Mick has a kickass growl, Keith shreds, and listen to Ronnie's SMU solo. 27 songs, served up by the Veterans.
2nd October 2006 06:57 PM
texile
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
I totally disagree. '78 had the highest energy level of any tour, and on good nights (there were some bad nights), they gave their best ever gigs of the Wood era. The punk inspiration really did them well.

1981 was the best ever Keith tour, as well as THE Bill Wyman tour. This tour (again, on good nights, the Stones always have bad nights) shows the band at there absolute top. Jagger's voice is deep, mature and full of power. Check out Beast of Burden from the LSTNT movie, or Miss You from Hampton -the Stones at their absolute best.

1989/1990 are sceptic, full of synths, and just plainly not Rock and Roll. The guitars are in the back, the sound isn't overdriven, it's slick pop music.

Mathijs

i agree with everything....
78 is ronnie's golden tour - and mick was on fire, sounding punk and intense and real.
that tour, i believe, was the last of the old stones...
81 and beyond were too slick.
2nd October 2006 09:02 PM
lotsajizz '81 may have had some problems...slickness was NOT one of them

2nd October 2006 09:40 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I'm not fan of the SW/UJ tour but they were on fine form, almost like a studio band playing live.

I agree..
2nd October 2006 09:55 PM
Poplar
Obviously, 72 is king.

after that: 81/82 ... no doubt in my mind.
3rd October 2006 12:33 PM
the good
quote:
marko wrote:
The JJF oh oh oh´s was done on ONE show only,and that was
final tokyo,27.2.1990.

And Hitler only initiated one holocaust. Do we cut him some slack? Sorry if that seems a bit over the top, but I had to work in my inappropriate Hitler analogy of the day somehow.
3rd October 2006 01:05 PM
jb 89-90 was mediocre.....81 was last decent sound.
3rd October 2006 01:09 PM
Saint Sway no tour with Matt Clifford can be consider the best ever.

the fact that 89 saw the Stones go Vegas with the 3 singers, keys, synth, horn section... awful costumes/theatrics... makes it THE WORST tour ever.

my vote is for 75/76 and 81/82. That was some raunchy rock and roll.
3rd October 2006 02:34 PM
padre
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
no tour with Matt Clifford can be consider the best ever.

You're absolutely right. I was only talking about Mick's, Ronnie's and Keith's condition and how they all were in their prime on the same tour and ignoring all the rest. All in all it's definetely not their best tour (with the looks, Matt, etc), but if you LISTEN only to Keef, Ronnie and Mick they were ALL on fire at the same time.
3rd October 2006 02:40 PM
texile
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
'81 may have had some problems...slickness was NOT one of them

81 was sloppy but the sound was slick...i didn't like the sound in 81, 82.
and ernie watts pelted out the most piercing, sqeaky notes my dog wouldn't hear.
3rd October 2006 02:41 PM
the good
quote:
padre wrote:

You're absolutely right. I was only talking about Mick's, Ronnie's and Keith's condition and how they all were in their prime on the same tour and ignoring all the rest. All in all it's definetely not their best tour (with the looks, Matt, etc), but if you LISTEN only to Keef, Ronnie and Mick they were ALL on fire at the same time.

You are insane. Mick sounded like shit. Keith and Woody were buried in the mix. Horrible tour.
3rd October 2006 02:47 PM
padre Then I'm insane. Gotta check my medication.
3rd October 2006 02:52 PM
the good
quote:
padre wrote:
Then I'm insane. Gotta check my medication.

I just don't see how a real Stones fan, who, by definition, should love the sound of raw guitar driven rock and roll, could like anything about that tour.
3rd October 2006 03:08 PM
Joey
quote:
padre wrote:

Of course Charlie never failed.

Nothing else needs to be said .
3rd October 2006 03:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
padre wrote:
Matt Clifford should've been punched in the face every five minutes

thats a great mantra!
3rd October 2006 03:58 PM
padre
quote:
the good wrote:
I just don't see how a real Stones fan, who, by definition, should love the sound of raw guitar driven rock and roll, could like anything about that tour.

Hell yeah, I like raw guitars. I just want them to hit the right notes.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)