ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Andy Warhol
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones: Live Licks Out November 2nd Return to archive
October 3rd, 2004 04:11 PM
MarthaMyDear The Rolling Stones: Live Licks Out November 2nd

Double CD Includes Guest Appearances By Sheryl Crow, Solomon Burke

NEW YORK, Oct. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- The Rolling Stones are documenting their hugely successful 2002-2003 world tour with the Virgin Records release of Live Licks, a two-CD set featuring guest appearances by Sheryl Crow and soul legend
Solomon Burke, as well as 11 tracks never before released on a Stones live disc.

The 2002-2003 tour celebrated both the band's 40th anniversary and the release of 40 Licks, the first Stones greatest-hits collection to span the group's entire career. Like the tour, Live Licks finds the band in a celebratory mood, delivering both the many hits in its deep, illustrious
catalogue, as well as lesser-known cuts and covers.

Finding Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ron Wood as charismatic, intimate and commanding as ever, Live Licks is divided in halves: Disc one is a collection of such anthemic, universally loved songs as "Honky Tonk Women" (featuring Sheryl Crow), "Paint It Black," "Brown Sugar," "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction," "Angie," "Start Me Up" and "Gimme Shelter."

Disc two includes a collection of such lesser-known gems as "Can't You Hear Me Knocking," "Rocks Off," "When The Whip Comes Down" and "Worried About You." This disc also includes Keith Richards' rendition of the Hoagy Carmichael classic "The Nearness of You," as well as Stones versions of "Rock Me, Baby" and "That's How Strong My Love Is," songs not written by but associated with B.B. King and Otis Redding, respectively. Disc two ends with Solomon Burke joining the band for a version of his own "Everybody Needs
Somebody To Love."

Playing to more than 2 million people worldwide, the Stones' 2002-2003 tour visited everything from theaters to stadiums, sometimes in the same city (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc.).

Seeing the band visit Eastern Europe and the Far East for the first time, the 40 Licks tour garnered rave reviews wherever it touched down, and found the band's live chops to be untouched by four decades: "The Stones sang and played like the world champion rockers they became decades ago, but with an in-the-moment passion of a band that still had something to prove," noted Randy Lewis in The Los Angeles Times. "They are still the greatest rock n roll band in the world," raved Nigel Williamson of the U.K.'s Uncut.

Rolling Stones- Live Licks (2 cd set) in-stores 11/2

DISC 1:

1. Brown Sugar
2. Street Fighting Man
3. Paint It, Black
4. You Can't Always Get What You Want
5. Start Me Up
6. It's Only Rock n' Roll
7. Angie
8. Honky Tonk Women (featuring Sheryl Crow)
9. Happy
10. Gimme Shelter
11. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

DISC 2:

1. Neighbours
2. Monkey Man
3. Rocks Off
4. Can't You Hear Me Knocking
5. That's How Strong My Love Is
6. The Nearness Of You
7. Beast Of Burden
8. When The Whip Comes Down
9. Rock Me, Baby
10. You Don't Have To Mean It
11. Worried About You
12. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love

Note:
None of the tracks on Disc 2 have been available on any previous Rolling Stones live CDs

SOURCE Virgin Records
Web Site: http://www.virginrecords.com

[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
October 3rd, 2004 09:07 PM
glencar I'll buy it on the first day. And you?
October 3rd, 2004 09:21 PM
mickjaggersgrl it comes out on my birthday!!
October 3rd, 2004 10:17 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'll buy it on the first day. And you?

Someone will buy me this for Christmas.
October 3rd, 2004 11:08 PM
corgi37 It's Melbourne Cup the day before, i am on holidays, then it Oaks Day at the races (which is called "Ladies Day").

So, um, no i wont be buying it. I'll be too paraletic. Some one put it on the net so i can get it for free. Maybe that'll teach them to NOT PUT OUT ANY MORE LIVE/COMPILATION/BEST OF'S/RARITIES/B SIDES/REMIXES/SPECIAL EDITIONS/OR REMASTERED stuff.

Just give us some new stuff, you bastards.
October 3rd, 2004 11:10 PM
Gimme Shelter I will be buying it on the that day.
October 3rd, 2004 11:20 PM
MarthaMyDear
quote:
I'll buy it on the first day. And you?

Well, Mick's bringing it over tonight in all his naked glory,
so... LAUGHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shut-up...
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P HE!!! HE!!! HE!!!
On the fricking first day!!! ROCK
ONAGE!!! PEACE!!!

*** Martha ***
October 3rd, 2004 11:33 PM
Zack Wow, three Keith tunes out of 21. That's unprecedented. Of course, Beast was the b-side of the Going to a Go Go single back in 1982, so their claim for disc 2 is not quite right. Besides, one of our Aussie friends informed they got a special 2-lp Still Life. Any of y'all remember the other tracks on that one that weren't on the US album? Just curious.

Where I live, you can buy pirated CDs, so I will be able to buy disc 2 (for $2) without bothering with disc 1. Oh hell, for two bucks I'll get that too.
October 4th, 2004 07:26 AM
Mr Hess 1-what show is 'Rock Me Baby' from? Hopefully the Orpheum version with Buddy Guy.

2-'HTW' with Sheryl Crow? Give me a break! She killed that song at the MSG/HBO show. She may be easy on the peepers, but i only want THE STONES ONLY doing this classic!

3-are these tunes gonna be the same cuts from 'Four Flicks'?
October 4th, 2004 07:52 AM
Gazza [quote]Mr Hess wrote:
1-what show is 'Rock Me Baby' from? Hopefully the Orpheum version with Buddy Guy.

probably not. You'll notice it specifies two songs featuring guest artists - which would imply its not that version as there's none listed for it. My guess is it'll be the Wiltern show version thats on the official DVD

2-'HTW' with Sheryl Crow? Give me a break! She killed that song at the MSG/HBO show. She may be easy on the peepers, but i only want THE STONES ONLY doing this classic!

3-are these tunes gonna be the same cuts from 'Four Flicks'?

probably. And if thats the case, it makes the whole venture even more pointless than it already was. The original 33-song tracklisting at least had a couple of songs which werent on the DVD in any form (eg Parachute Woman) but these seem to have been dropped in favour of a 2-CD set with 10 fewer songs and which will therefore be around an hour shorter than originally planned. Every one of the songs listed above are on Four Flicks. We dont know the sources of each song yet (we will pretty soon after it comes out though), but if the two songs with guest stars are any indication, they can ONLY be from MSG 18.1.03 (Sheryl on HTW) and the Wiltern 4.11.02 (Everybody needs somebody wth Solomon Burke). At least the duet with Burke wasnt shown in full on FF as it was a documentary feature. The half arsed way this whole project has been thrown together suggests its basically an edited audio version of Four Flicks, in which case it's a shameful and pointless cash in.
[Edited by Gazza]
October 4th, 2004 07:58 AM
Gazza [quote]Zack wrote:
>Wow, three Keith tunes out of 21. That's unprecedented.

Not really. He sings on 3 out of 13 on Bridges To Babylon!!

> Of course, Beast was the b-side of the Going to a Go Go single back in 1982, so their claim for disc 2 is not quite right.

well. It says the songs werent ever on a Stones "live CD" before so technically its correct. There's also a live version of "When the whip comes down" from 1978 which was issued on "Sucking in the 70's" but again, thats not a live album. Also, "Everybody needs somebody to love" is on the "Got live if you want it!" EP from 1965.

> Besides, one of our Aussie friends informed they got a special 2-lp Still Life. Any of y'all remember the other tracks on that one that weren't on the US album?

Must be a bootleg. "Still Life" is basically a 1-LP edited version of KBFH recordings from the '81 tour which would otherwise have been a 2-LP set and were bootlegged as sucjh ("Time is on our die", "Mission Direct Hits" etc. I've never heard of any track differences in other markets and there wasnt a 2-LP version released commercially.
October 4th, 2004 08:04 AM
egon i'll be sleeping in front of virgin megastore on the 2nd.
October 4th, 2004 11:32 AM
jb I will be surprised if sales exceed 40K USA..sadly, the Stones have become a nostalgia act giving us rehashed prouduct(which doesn't even sound good) and bleeding us for out last buck...stangely, we keep on bleeding...
October 4th, 2004 12:05 PM
Joey

Oh Yeah , I'll Buy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 4th, 2004 12:08 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
i'll be sleeping in front of virgin megastore on the 2nd.

i'll download it this night too..
October 4th, 2004 12:09 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
I will be surprised if sales exceed 40K USA..sadly, the Stones have become a nostalgia act giving us rehashed prouduct(which doesn't even sound good) and bleeding us for out last buck...stangely, we keep on bleeding...

Another marketing boo boo by The Stones & Co.

Last time they released 40 Licks the day of the big Elvis release

Now they release this on election day in the US

October 4th, 2004 12:54 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Another marketing boo boo by The Stones & Co.

Last time they released 40 Licks the day of the big Elvis release

Now they release this on election day in the US

Mick seems like a republican to me..Charlie as well...(Charlie is Jewish).
October 4th, 2004 01:39 PM
Bloozehound dunno what thier political affiliations are these days, but they're definitely the biggest capitalistic pigs rock music has ever seen
October 4th, 2004 06:01 PM
glencar Disturbingly, this still isn't listed at amazon,com./
October 4th, 2004 09:43 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:
I will be surprised if sales exceed 40K USA

I think that will sell decent at least. Jump Back is #75 after 5 weeks and sold 100,000 copies so far. This will sell more than that.
October 4th, 2004 09:44 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Disturbingly, this still isn't listed at amazon,com./

It's up for more than a week!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00064VQCQ/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_4/102-3114705-4887360
October 4th, 2004 09:49 PM
glencar Thanks, soldatti! I was looking via "Rolling Stones" instead of by the CD title.
October 4th, 2004 10:17 PM
Bloozehound Ha!

$24.98

piss on that

Four Flicks was only 5 dollars more

October 4th, 2004 10:22 PM
glencar At Costco it'll be a few dollars less.
October 4th, 2004 10:23 PM
Soldatti Hands up!!!