ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Andy Warhol
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hooker Junior (nsc) Return to archive
October 2nd, 2004 11:03 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Singer John Lee Hooker, Jr., Makes His Own Blues
Sacramento Observer, News Report,
Lana K. Wilson-Combs, Oct 02, 2004

Blues singer John Lee Hooker Jr. knows people are going to constantly compare him to his father, the blues giant, John Lee Hooker, Sr. The Mississippi bred bluesman died at age 83 in 2001. But those comparisons to his father won’t keep Hooker, Jr., from carving his niche in the blues world.

In fact, with his latest CD, “Blues With A Vengeance,” Hooker, Jr., is doing just that. The CD pays homage to his dad, with blues classics such as “Boom, Boom” and “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.” But the 52-year-old singer pours out his gritty signature vocals on several stand out tracks - nine of which he penned - including “Suspicious,” “Blues Ain’t Nothin’ But A Pimp,” and “She Wasn’t Nothin’ But A Devil.”

“Blues With A Vengeance” was recently named “Outstanding Blues Album” for 2004 at the California Music Awards (Formerly the Bammies). Hooker, Jr., also won the “Comeback Artist of the Year” award from the Bay Area Blues Society.

“Being on tour and traveling has allowed me to show people that I’m different,” Hooker, Jr., explained during a recent telephone interview while moving from his Northern California home to Citrus Heights, located near Sacramento.

“People want to know if being under my father’s shadow and the scrutiny of it all is going to be difficult or a burden for me,” adds Hooker, Jr. “I tell them no. I dare to be different. I love it. My dad was a Mississippi Delta bluesman and I’m a native, contemporary Detroit blues player with old school sensibilities. Besides, if I tried to fill my father’s shoes, I’d get cramps in my feet just trying to take one step.”

Still, one can’t help but think that pops would be awfully proud of his son’s debut. But, as Hooker, Jr., will tell you, this just didn’t happen overnight.

“I’ve been performing since I was eight years old,” says Hooker, Jr. “I did my first stint on WJBK radio in Detroit.”

By the time he was 16, Hooker, Jr., was gigging at Detroit’s Fox Theatre with entertainers such as Jimmy Reed. At 18, Hooker, Jr., teamed with his father to release his first recording for ABC Records titled, “Live at Soledad Prison.” Over the years, Hooker, Jr., stayed primarily in the background performing and touring with his dad. All of it, he says prepared him for this moment.

But as any blues artist will tell you, you can’t really sing the blues unless you’ve experienced them. And Hooker, Jr., admits he has had his share of the blues.

“I suffered from drug and alcohol addiction much of my teen years and off and on throughout adulthood,” admits Hooker, Jr. “It was a rough time. My father told me that my situation was really why he sang the blues. In fact, he dedicated a song to me called, “Kick Hit 4 Hit Kix U (Blues for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin).” I’m now proud to say that I’ve been clean and sober for the past two years. I’m real fortunate to be doing my thing.”

Hooker, Jr., says he’s also impressed and encouraged with the state of Blues music today. “It’s not a dying art form like some believe,” he says. “You have some great offspring like Shirley King (daughter of B.B. King), Bill Morganfield (son of Muddy Waters), and Shemekia Copeland (daughter of Johnny “Clyde” Copeland), so all of us are carrying on the blues tradition.”

His biggest thrill he says will be performing at this year’s San Francisco Blues Festival on Sept. 26. Over the years, his father regularly headlined the festival. “It’s really something, Hooker, Jr., said. “History will repeat itself. It’s a great honor to perform at the San Francisco Blues Festival. It was very special to my father.”

Will Hooker, Jr., feel any pressure once he steps on stage?

“No. I don’t think so,” he laughs. “When you’re the offspring of someone famous everybody wants to see if you live up to them. And once you get that validation and stamp of approval from fans and your family’s peers, you’re in. Several blues icons today tell me how much they were influenced by my dad. That’s quite a compliment. Suddenly, they want you to open for all their shows. It makes the old cats really proud to see that you’re a chip off the ol’ block.”

October 2nd, 2004 05:49 PM
Soldatti Great reading.
October 2nd, 2004 10:04 PM
Water Dragon TTM,

I've missed seeing your moniker on the board.

Thanks for the information - clean for 2 YEARS?!? Wow!

Cheerio,

W.D.
October 4th, 2004 12:24 AM
PolkSalad
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
By the time he was 16, Hooker, Jr., was gigging at Detroit’s Fox Theatre with entertainers such as Jimmy Reed. At 18, Hooker, Jr., teamed with his father to release his first recording for ABC Records titled, “Live at Soledad Prison.” Over the years, Hooker, Jr., stayed primarily in the background performing and touring with his dad. All of it, he says prepared him for this moment.

and he's how old now?