ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Andy Warhol
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Daily Mirror on Charlie Watts, 2 October, 2004 Return to archive
October 2nd, 2004 04:58 AM
thejuf ROLLING STONE CHARLIE BEATS CANCER

Oct 2 2004

Stone eyes up a world tour after beating cancer

By John Hiscock

ROLLING Stones drummer Charlie Watts is setting his sights on the band's next world tour after beating throat cancer.

In an exclusive interview with the Mirror in New York, Stones leader Mick Jagger said: "Charlie has had all his treatments and he's now been cleared and is free of any illness."

Jagger, who has just collaborated with former Eurythmics star Dave Stewart on writing the songs and the score for the remake of the 1965 movie Alfie, said the band was in the early stages of planning the world tour and hoped to have Charlie in the studio soon to record a set of new songs.

He added: "Keith Richards and I have been writing lots of songs for the new Rolling Stones album.

"We haven't booked the tour yet and when we do we'll let you know, but there will definitely be another one."

The news of 63-year-old Charlie's all-clear comes after weeks of intensive radiotherapy at London's Royal Marsden Hospital, close to the drummer's Chelsea home.

The cancer was diagnosed after he discovered a lump on the left side of his neck four months ago. He consulted doctors immediately and a biopsy confirmed that the tumour was malignant. The man dubbed the "quiet one" of the Stones is now recuperating from the effects of the treatment, which left him feeling frail.

Charlie, who has amassed an estimated £80million fortune during his 40 years with the Stones, will spend part of his recovery time with wife Shirley at their 17th Century manor house in Devon. The couple breed horses and dogs there.

Once asked to sum up his career, he joked: "I suppose I've seen 40 years of Mick's bum running around in front of me. That's all I can see when I'm at the back of the stage.

"But I'm not complaining. One of the biggest compliments I can have as a drummer is that someone is dancing to you. The drums should dance and they should make you want to dance."

The biggest cheer on a tour often comes when Jagger coaxes Charlie out from behind his drum kit and introduces him to the audience as "Charlie on drums".

Keith Richards once said: "I couldn't do my stuff if I didn't have Charlie Watts. I don't always realise how blessed I've been to work with a drummer like that for 40 years."

October 2nd, 2004 05:10 AM
bootcover
October 2nd, 2004 05:14 AM
thejuf he is clearly not amused with all the attention!

October 2nd, 2004 11:05 AM
LadyJane Charlie looks really good...very strong!!

If anyone can look cancer in the face and stare it down, it's our Charlie. You da man!!!!!!!

LJ.

Damn..the news hit CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ...atts/index.html
[Edited by LadyJane]
October 2nd, 2004 12:56 PM
F505 'Relaxing' is not the word I would choose if you look at the expression on his face...
October 2nd, 2004 01:04 PM
kath ah he was swallowing at the time this was snapped.

bless his heart.
October 2nd, 2004 05:56 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the article.
October 2nd, 2004 07:14 PM
Some Guy Fabulous news! I am ready for the one of the greatest Stones albums and tours, ever! The party is in Atlanta!!
October 2nd, 2004 07:18 PM
Bloozehound he looks like he's trying to hold a fart in
October 2nd, 2004 09:09 PM
Poplar
Or push one out.
October 3rd, 2004 12:38 PM
EQUI Charlie, I Love You.

October 3rd, 2004 04:05 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
he looks like he's trying to hold a fart in

October 4th, 2004 04:37 PM
keith_tif It's a very good news!!
Charlie, you're my best drummer and i'll be very glad to see you again on the next tour!
People who like music never let down!
October 4th, 2004 05:38 PM
kath charlie doesn't actually fart. he has people who fart for him. i have my application in but haven't heard back yet.
October 4th, 2004 05:48 PM
Moonisup
quote:
kath wrote:
ah he was swallowing at the time

ok:P
October 4th, 2004 05:53 PM
glencar Mna, he looks old. But he's recovered & all is good with the world.
October 4th, 2004 09:39 PM
Soldatti Charlie looks good for his age.