ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Andy Warhol
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Kenny Wayne Sheperd on VH1.com Return to archive
September 29th, 2004 07:55 PM
crb69 Kenny's got a new CD coming out next week and it is posted on VH1.com right now. It sounds more rockin' than his usual SRV style & he sings lead for the first time on most of the tracks. I noticed that his singing reminded me a lot of Lenny Kravitz on some of the songs, but it sounded decent compared to the majority of crap the industry is pushing on the public today. Where are the Black Crowes already? Please somebody release some real Rawk N' Roll!
September 29th, 2004 08:59 PM
J.J.Flash I don't know his stuff too much....Once I've listened Kenny playing with James Cotton a great great version of "Spider and the Fly". Also I heard him covering Voodoo Child.
September 29th, 2004 10:00 PM
Soldatti I like his stuff.
September 29th, 2004 10:13 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
crb69 wrote:
Kenny's got a new CD coming out next week and it is posted on VH1.com right now. It sounds more rockin' than his usual SRV style & he sings lead for the first time on most of the tracks. I noticed that his singing reminded me a lot of Lenny Kravitz on some of the songs, but it sounded decent compared to the majority of crap the industry is pushing on the public today. Where are the Black Crowes already? Please somebody release some real Rawk N' Roll!

Lenny Kravitz, ugh... you are looking in all the wrong places. the industry, give me a break!!!

http://bluelark.home.att.net/dbs-moellerblues.htm
http://nickcurranmusic.com/
http://www.yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=883

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/203160-1.html
[Edited by Blind Dog McGhee]
September 30th, 2004 03:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Kenny Wayne Sheppard.....sanitized for your protection.
September 30th, 2004 04:42 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Kenny Wayne Sheppard.....sanitized for your protection.

Jonny Lang Sheppard.....sanitized for your protection.
September 30th, 2004 07:32 PM
crb69 This is for Blind Dog McGee... it is almost the year 2005.

OK These blues players are good, original and sound like they were playing back in 1963. Good for them, good luck!

OK but it's now 2005 people...we need some Iron Maiden mixed with Metallica tossed in with some Rolling Stones and some AC/DC and maybe some Monster Magnet thrown in there for some Psychedelia...OH my God people wake the
f!*k up already!

JET is onto something. So was Buckcherry but the singer, Josh who I've met, screamed too much and was a stoned asshole.

Rock N' Roll will live forever! Have a Drink on ME!!!!

Love you sick F*!kers -- STONES RULE!

Come On...I hear the click clack of your, feet on the stairs...I wanna wrap my coat around ya, I wanna burn a candle for ya...little Indian Girl where is your Papa?

With a head full of snow, with a head full of snow...Too Much Too much!...BLOOD! People wearin' plastic bags...directin' traffic...some kind of fashion...

I bought this at the mall especially for you...Cause I'm Out of Control! You'll never make a Saint of Me!

Well you should have been buried alive, cause you're much too pretty to die...You're always the last bitch to get paid...So how could I fall in love with you...

Please guys...Don't Stop! (yet)

September 30th, 2004 08:20 PM
Sir Stonesalot >OK These blues players are good, original and sound like they were playing back in 1963<

Ummmmmm.....no, no they don't sound like they were playing in 1963. I will grant you that Kennyjonny are good technical players...but original??? Not really. Besides since when are great blues players supposed to be technical wizards? No thanks, too slick, too sanitized, and certainly too white. I have seen both Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard play live. I was underwhelmed by each. They may turn into something someday, but not today....they haven't lived enough yet....or got black enough. You think some 20 year old rich white kid can tell anyone about the blues????? Yer fuckin' nuts.

>we need some Iron Maiden mixed with Metallica tossed in with some Rolling Stones and some AC/DC and maybe some Monster Magnet thrown in there for some Psychedelia...OH my God people wake the f!*k up already!<

Hey, if that's what you dig, that's great. Myself, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Iron Maiden or Metallica play for free. And if your idea of Psychedelia is Monster Magnet...then we are on completely different wavelengths. I'm not even gonna bother.

>JET is onto something<

Yeah, they are onto something....sounding like other bands that came before them. Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Jet, but they sure as shit ain't nothing original. They do a decent Badfinger meets AC/DC impression. They swipe good riffs from other artists(Are You Gonna Be My Girl is just Iggy Pop's Lust For Life). I just can't get excited about them. IMO, Kings Of Leon are much better. I saw both play a show in 2003...Kings Of Leon wiped the stage up with Jet.

Now....exactly what am I supposed to be waking the fuck up for?
September 30th, 2004 08:28 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
crb69 wrote:

JET is onto something. So was Buckcherry but the singer, Josh who I've met, screamed too much and was a stoned asshole.

You still need to move a bit farther from the "music industry."

Oh yeah, Dave Alvin isn't stuck in 1963.

Best album of the year is by this artist:

http://www.jondeegraham.com/

He's even got a song in the new John Travolta flick.
September 30th, 2004 08:38 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>OK These blues players are good, original and sound like they were playing back in 1963<

Ummmmmm.....no, no they don't sound like they were playing in 1963. I will grant you that Kennyjonny are good technical players...but original??? Not really. Besides since when are great blues players supposed to be technical wizards? No thanks, too slick, too sanitized, and certainly too white. I have seen both Jonny Lang and Kenny Wayne Sheppard play live. I was underwhelmed by each. They may turn into something someday, but not today....they haven't lived enough yet....or got black enough. You think some 20 year old rich white kid can tell anyone about the blues????? Yer fuckin' nuts.

>we need some Iron Maiden mixed with Metallica tossed in with some Rolling Stones and some AC/DC and maybe some Monster Magnet thrown in there for some Psychedelia...OH my God people wake the f!*k up already!<

Hey, if that's what you dig, that's great. Myself, I wouldn't walk across the street to see Iron Maiden or Metallica play for free. And if your idea of Psychedelia is Monster Magnet...then we are on completely different wavelengths. I'm not even gonna bother.

>JET is onto something<

Yeah, they are onto something....sounding like other bands that came before them. Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Jet, but they sure as shit ain't nothing original. They do a decent Badfinger meets AC/DC impression. They swipe good riffs from other artists(Are You Gonna Be My Girl is just Iggy Pop's Lust For Life). I just can't get excited about them. IMO, Kings Of Leon are much better. I saw both play a show in 2003...Kings Of Leon wiped the stage up with Jet.

Now....exactly what am I supposed to be waking the fuck up for?

Hey SS you forgot to mention Lenny Kravitz. This dude thinks Lenny is original.

Will have to check Kings of Leon out. Been hearing good things about the Drive By Truckers too.

September 30th, 2004 11:54 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Hey SS you forgot to mention Lenny Kravitz.<

No I didn't. I never had any intention of mentioning Lenny.
October 1st, 2004 07:47 AM
crb69 OK OK I had a stressful day yesterday, tied one on & started rambling...I only listened to the Johnny Moeller link above and thought that it sounded like blues from the 50's & 60's. I don't think KWS & Johnny Lang sound like that! They are SRV/Hendrix rip offs to say the least. If you guys know rock music and chord progressions then you guys should know that most every combination has been done already a thousand times over. Bands like the Black Crowes should have stuck to their roots because they were good at their craft. They put out that CD Lions and got too experimental to give the record company something "different" I'm sure.

I grew up in the 80's and despised the mainstream music. I listened to all classic rock from the 60's & 70's back then. Trust me I know all about true psychedelic music and classic rock. When I mentioned the harder bands of "today" I was refering to what I think would sound good as a new type of hard (acid) rock...because that sound is what would sell today. Unfortunately the majority of what our society will hear is who the record companies will sign.

Just bring Marc Ford and his wah-wah pedals back to the Black Crowes and let's start jammin' again!
October 1st, 2004 11:40 AM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
crb69 wrote:
OK OK I had a stressful day yesterday, tied one on & started rambling...I only listened to the Johnny Moeller link above and thought that it sounded like blues from the 50's & 60's. I don't think KWS & Johnny Lang sound like that! They are SRV/Hendrix rip offs to say the least. If you guys know rock music and chord progressions then you guys should know that most every combination has been done already a thousand times over. Bands like the Black Crowes should have stuck to their roots because they were good at their craft. They put out that CD Lions and got too experimental to give the record company something "different" I'm sure.

I grew up in the 80's and despised the mainstream music. I listened to all classic rock from the 60's & 70's back then. Trust me I know all about true psychedelic music and classic rock. When I mentioned the harder bands of "today" I was refering to what I think would sound good as a new type of hard (acid) rock...because that sound is what would sell today. Unfortunately the majority of what our society will hear is who the record companies will sign.

Just bring Marc Ford and his wah-wah pedals back to the Black Crowes and let's start jammin' again!

Rock on dude, it's all good. That Freed guy that was in the Crowes was pretty good too. He smoked the Supersuckers on the Musta been live cd too.