ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Andy Warhol
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ernie Ball, who has died aged 74. He pioneered lighter gauge guitar strings Return to archive
September 28th, 2004 02:51 AM
MarthaMyDear Ernie Ball

Christopher Reed
Monday September 27, 2004
The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/obituary/0,12723,1313578,00.html

The man who developed the intrinsic sound of rock'n'roll was not a composer or a famous musician but Ernie Ball, who has died aged 74. He pioneered lighter gauge guitar strings to assist the riffs and wailing vibratos that became the music's characteristic sound. His strings, marketed as Slinkys, were used by, among others, Jimi Hendrix, the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, BB King, U2 and Spinal Tap.

Although they remain the most popular guitar strings in the business today, their introduction was not an easy matter. In the early 1960s, Ball, a musician himself, realised that the heavy gauged strings then available were so tough that players got blisters trying to manipulate them. When his request for lighter strings was rebuffed - because the electric instrument's legendary pioneer, Leo Fender, would not change his design - Ball decided to create a new string type himself.

In 1962, after working out the best kind of metal and gauge range, he began production with a few employees at his guitar shop in the Los Angeles suburb of Tarzana. He sold mainly by mail order, but word of the strings' superiority quickly spread. At the time of his death, he had two factories, employed 350 workers, sold his guitars and strings in 5,500 US music shops and exported to 75 countries. Sales topped $44m a year.

Ball was raised in Santa Monica, California, the son of a salesman who also played the guitar, and the grandson of Ernest R Ball, a popular songwriter. He himself became interested in the instrument as a teenager, practised for hours every day, joined the Musicians' Union and played in the evenings at a bar.

He also learned to play the pedal guitar, which has horizontal frets and stands on legs, joined a band and toured for a year. At the time of the Korean war, he enlisted in the US air force band for three years.

In 1958, Ball opened what is believed to have been the first music shop in America to sell only guitars. He sold it in 1967, before opening the strings factory. In 1972 he launched the Earthwood guitar and, in 1985, bought the Music Man electric guitar company and launched more brands. He is survived by his wife Ani, three sons and a daughter.

· Roland Sherwood 'Ernie' Ball, musician and entrepreneur, born August 30 1930; died September 9 2004

[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
September 28th, 2004 06:14 AM
Jumacfly my guitarists were very sad to learn this news...Ernie ball is their official dealer, but for bass guitars it's not my fav...
well RIP Ernie, and thanks from the rockers
September 28th, 2004 10:15 AM
J.J.Flash Once I bought a set of those guitar strings.
September 28th, 2004 10:30 AM
nankerphelge Thanks Ernie -- because of your hard work, generations of guitarists are proud to say that they love to play with their Balls!!
September 28th, 2004 06:30 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Thanks Ernie -- because of your hard work, generations of guitarists are proud to say that they love to play with their Balls!!

Nanky you forgot to add "no pun intended".

What about "MUST GO TO RIO" thing? That chat on friday night, completely wasted..... let's set up
September 28th, 2004 07:37 PM
Soldatti Sad lost...
September 28th, 2004 09:18 PM
CotchfordCat ....Spinal Tap?
September 30th, 2004 01:14 AM
WildBillGrover Wussy strings!
September 30th, 2004 08:28 AM
nankerphelge JJF!!!

You ready for a Fryday night drunkenchibapostathon!!

I think we might be able to set that up!

September 30th, 2004 08:57 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
JJF!!!

You ready for a Fryday night drunkenchibapostathon!!

I think we might be able to set that up!

Exactly what I've been planning the whole damn week my brother....
September 30th, 2004 09:00 AM
nankerphelge Well I think everyone should go out and get a lil' rocked tomorrow night and maybe stop by the old Bravenet chatroom around, say, 9:00 pm?!

September 30th, 2004 09:00 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Thanks Ernie -- because of your hard work, generations of guitarists are proud to say that they love to play with their Balls!!

Beautiful Nanky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 30th, 2004 08:16 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Well I think everyone should go out and get a lil' rocked tomorrow night and maybe stop by the old Bravenet chatroom around, say, 9:00 pm?!

I'll be 2 or 3 hours ahead... I can't remember.... anyway... the beer's already in the refrigerator
September 30th, 2004 10:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
I'll be 2 or 3 hours ahead... I can't remember.... anyway... the beer's already in the refrigerator

LOL!
October 1st, 2004 07:39 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

LOL!

Join us mi querido hermano, would be a pleasure....friday night, drunk posting... Nankerphelge.... we should set up a massive cybernetic gathering.....

The only sad thing on the weekend is that Joey doesn't post at home, or after 5 PM.....

no peace... no peace without Baby Steelie....
October 1st, 2004 09:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Join us mi querido hermano, would be a pleasure....friday night, drunk posting...

Thanks for the good feelings!