ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Troy Fleece / Leader Post with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bill Wyman´s best bass work ever with the Stones Return to archive
3rd October 2006 01:39 PM
real wild child Listening to the records from Some Girls to Steel Wheels I realize that Bill Wyman´s bass sounds so good,so powerful and I think it´s much better than the previous records to Some Girls (except for the covers era around 63-64)
If the greatest Stones albums (Beggars...Let it Bleed...Sticky...and Exile...)would have that hot bass sound it would be great...
3rd October 2006 01:42 PM
Saint Sway Bill Wyman was a tremendous bassist. He gets unjustly bashed here by some.
3rd October 2006 02:06 PM
sammy davis jr. Bill put the bounce in the rythymn section. A bounce it no longer has I might add.
3rd October 2006 02:49 PM
Mel Belli Like the much-maligned Stones biographer Stephen Davis said of Darryl Jones, "Munch don't cut it, do he?"
3rd October 2006 02:51 PM
jb No offense to Daryl, but the rhythm section long ago died upon the departure of the great Bill Wyman....listen to those 72-81 boots, and hear howe the bass was a subtle , but intricate part of the Stones sound.
[Edited by jb]
3rd October 2006 02:52 PM
Mel Belli Wyman and Charlie made the Stones sound like "the Stones," more so even than Keith, perhaps.
3rd October 2006 02:53 PM
jb
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Wyman and Charlie made the Stones sound like "the Stones," more so even than Keith, perhaps.

100% correct....
3rd October 2006 03:27 PM
lotsajizz BS--Bill wasn't even the best bass player in the Stones...

3rd October 2006 03:38 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
BS--Bill wasn't even the best bass player in the Stones...

Maybe not as tecnically proficient as, say, Mick Taylor, but he had the most distinctive style. Anyone who listens to Bill's little breakdown in the extended version of "Miss You" and doesn't immediately give thanks and praises is deaf!
3rd October 2006 03:40 PM
jb
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
BS--Bill wasn't even the best bass player in the Stones...

I must strongly disagree...he works wonders with those little fingers...and plays well too!!!
3rd October 2006 03:44 PM
mrhipfl I agree that he's very strong on "Some girls," especially shattered and just my imagination.
3rd October 2006 04:11 PM
lotsajizz I did not say he was not a good player, or that his work on 'Miss You' was not super. But I found years ago that many of my most favorite Stones bass parts have been played by Keith, Ron, or Mick Taylor.

3rd October 2006 05:02 PM
sammy davis jr. Whip Comes Down....studio, live (especially on Handsome Girls) Bill owns.
3rd October 2006 05:06 PM
Throwaway
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
I agree that he's very strong on "Some girls," especially shattered and just my imagination.

True. Although Shattered is IIRC Ronnie. JMI live is somehow even more amazing, I love the bass on that (check out Napoli 82, or Hampton 81 for proof).
3rd October 2006 05:36 PM
qwer First I wanted to write:

"Fingerprint file" is his best work!

But it was Mick Taylor, who played the fantastic bass there!
Wyman was on synth on that song!
3rd October 2006 06:40 PM
Voja Listen ''Cool, Calm And Conected'' from BTButtons.
3rd October 2006 09:44 PM
Soldatti Darryl is a decent player, but Bill was the best. The Stones sound is not the same since 1990.
3rd October 2006 11:51 PM
Zack Keith, MT, Ronnie, and Daryl are all very good bass players, but Bill's style helped define the Stones sound. In 81 he absolutely ruled.

And the amazing thing is he could do it in his sleep! He tells a story of playing a show with a 103 degree fever and didn't remember a thing afterwards, yet he played the entire concert perfectly in a state of semi-conciousness. That's impressive.
4th October 2006 01:03 AM
Drewby Bill's best bass work IS in the late 70's to early late 80's....its like he decided to actually show his abilities late in the Stones career...Then he left....
4th October 2006 04:17 AM
Jumacfly Bill sound is unique.
Never heard a guy playing like that.
Charlie and him never missed a bit.
Bill shines on the 78 boots and the 81 tour,listen to the hampton intro is priceless for example!!
4th October 2006 07:59 AM
corgi37 There is no doubt Bill & Charlie had "it".

There is no doubt Bill provided as much a Stones sound as Keith or Mick.

There is no doubt Bill didnt play bass on so many fucking songs, it aint funny!
4th October 2006 10:25 AM
jb
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Darryl is a decent player, but Bill was the best. The Stones sound is not the same since 1990.

100% correct Soldatti...any new sales figures..has ABB reached 600k in the US? Thanks.
4th October 2006 10:28 AM
glencar Daryl sucks that much? Is that why they haven't made him a member?
4th October 2006 11:14 AM
F505 Wyman is very boring but a good bass player
4th October 2006 11:40 AM
trevcourt
quote:
jb wrote:

100% correct....

110% correct
4th October 2006 12:11 PM
jtorquetti Midnight Rambler (get yer ya-ya's out)... Absurd!
4th October 2006 12:17 PM
Egbert
quote:
Zack wrote:
yet he played the entire concert perfectly in a state of semi-conciousness. That's impressive.

Keith does it all the time!
4th October 2006 02:35 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
Daryl sucks that much? Is that why they haven't made him a member?

Darryl doesn't suck. He's a primetime player. He'd fit right in with the "Late Night with David Letterman" band.

I don't know. There's something inexplicable about the Stones that goes beyond technique or chops or whatever you want to call it. I just know it when I hear it. Like on the "Ya Yas" "Midnight Rambler," when Bill's bass briefly drops out at the beginning, and when he starts playing again, how everything just drops into place.
4th October 2006 03:24 PM
gotdablouse Yes, he was excellent in the late 70s, early 80s as can be herad on the boots from that era, the bass on the long version of "She was Hot" is marvellous, rolling and tumbling.

His playing on the 81 tour is great too, especially since at the time they didn't have an army of backers.

Having said that, most that brilliant playing was gon for DW, SW and the 89 tour. Someone said that BW was a boring person, fine with me, on the other hand having a boring bass player like DJ is more of a problem !
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)