ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Troy Fleece / Leader Post with thanks to Jeep
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Churchill Downs, Louisville, Ky. - 29th September 2006 - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
29th September 2006 10:15 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Ronnie looks like Bill W!

For one second, I thought you meant The AA Bill W.... LOL! Real irony with that mistake too!
29th September 2006 10:15 PM
MRD8 OMAHA'D!!!! HALIFAXED!!!
29th September 2006 10:17 PM
Gazza Sympathy

Meg's battery is almost dead, so ive asked her to turn her phone off until the show's over and then just text the remaining songs all together, so there might be a delay before any more updates.
29th September 2006 10:18 PM
pdog
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Sympathy

Meg's battery is almost dead, so ive asked her to turn her phone off until the show's over and then just text the remaining songs all together, so there might be a delay before any more updates.

It doesn't take a psychic at this point, we know what's coming...
29th September 2006 10:20 PM
Martha Thanks Meg!!!!

Thanks for the update Gary!

It's rainin!

Hope you got a poncho!
29th September 2006 10:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

It doesn't take a psychic at this point, we know what's coming...

I think the only issue is whether its 18 or 19 songs. The smart money is on 18, with the ludicrous "shortened because of rain" excuse....
29th September 2006 10:23 PM
Martha Ronnie has his rainsuit on!
29th September 2006 10:28 PM
Gazza 16 Paint It Black
17 Brown Sugar
29th September 2006 10:36 PM
Gazza Encore : YCAGWYW - looks like its gonna be a 19-song set.
29th September 2006 10:37 PM
fireontheplatter great songs thus far

i am sorry for the rain...

hey....its a stones show and its all good...
29th September 2006 10:39 PM
TomL got to be satisfaction next.
29th September 2006 10:41 PM
Gazza 19 Satisfaction

"Good show. Ronnie 'on fire' "
29th September 2006 10:45 PM
TomL Nite to all and i hope everyone enjoyed themselves. It's all good.
29th September 2006 10:47 PM
Gazza 3.50 am and I'm off to bed. Thanks Meg for all the updates. Night all.
29th September 2006 10:48 PM
robpop Déjà Vu all over again. I don't feel so bad about having to cancel due to work. Hopefully Chi town will be fresher and drier.
29th September 2006 11:08 PM
chevysales
quote:
Gazza wrote:

W**e O**n

Incidentally - Alice Cooper's set started around 50 minutes ago (around 7 pm ET)
[Edited by Gazza]

whats with the huge space between stage and first row? different setup for race track?
29th September 2006 11:15 PM
chevysales
quote:
Michael Cohl wrote:
Here is the Official shirt for tonights show. They're for sale at the merchandise tables and for an extra $25 we'll slap some water sealant on them so you will stay dry during the rainstorm.

too funny
29th September 2006 11:36 PM
Lpollitt Just back from the show. Great show!!! "Dead Flowers" was great...Midnight Rambler was smokin'....Ronnie was in fine form..."Charlie's dry, but not high!"--Mick...Keith sans guitar on "You Got the Silver" was surprising, weird seeing him just singing...Mick went down the stage ramp serveral times to slap hands and sing...They sold out of the Louisville event T's by 7!!! Fingers crossed for the Stones store or Ebay!!!

Peace.

30th September 2006 12:47 AM
voodoopug Sound Quality was fantastic, security was far overwhelmed, seats were all sold out, setlist (aside from Keiths songs and Dead Flowers) was VERY conservative. Stadium was beautiful, but this venue was by no means ready for a large concert. Traffic was out of hand, one officer was trying to handle the cab lines, but sadly, many were climbing into cabs when the turned their backs, the cops were about as effective as a wwf wrestling referee.

This will be my last show in Louisville, just not worth it. Weather was brutal, but what can you do. Mick worked his ass off, Ronnie was surprisingly good, Charlie was formidable as always. Keith seemed to be "in another land", but did hit his stride during Rough Justice.

Setlist was not worth the long drive and to top it off, Shidoobee bus never picked us up! Overall, a humiliating experience and I was very wet and covered with beer thanks to the worthless excuses of people behind us. THankfully, the police beat him down with their flashlight after he picked his third fight of the evening
30th September 2006 03:56 AM
Jeep Pictures The Courier-Journal

WOOOOWWWW :

[Edited by Jeep]
30th September 2006 04:12 AM
Jeep More than 40,000 experience history at Churchill Downs
By Chris Kenning
The Courier-Journal

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060929/NEWS01/60929028/0/SCENE04

More than 40,000 Rolling Stones fans braved a chilly, rainy night to cheer and sing beneath the Twin Spires of Churchill Downs as the aging landmark band returned to Louisville for the first time since 1989.

The four-decade-old group’s “Bigger Bang” tour brought one of the country’s largest concert productions to Louisville, with lights pouring out of a 92-foot-high, 300-ton stage set up next to the winner’s circle.

Fans sang along as frontman Mick Jagger strutted and bounced around the stage during the roughly two-hour concert.

“This is the first time anybody’s played in this particular gig … fantastic,” said Jagger, wearing a sequined fedora and silver jacket as he stood atop the mammoth winged stage. “Sorry about the weather.”

The legendary band opened with “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” about 8:50 p.m. and continued with “It’s Only Rock ’n’ Roll” and “Dead Flowers,” whose reference to “makin’ bets on Kentucky Derby day” drew a roar from the crowd filling the grandstand, clubhouse and track. The best seats topped out at around $300.

Among the fans were Pete Melican, who arrived with a busload of Louisvillians ranging in age from 20 to 60 for a chance to see the band he first saw live nearly a quarter century ago.

“They’re all in their 60s. This is probably the last chance to see them in Kentucky, and could be their last tour,” he said.

Nearby, John Wagoner, 26, said, “It’s history. You can’t like rock ’n’ roll without liking the Stones.”

The rain came and went, leading many to take cover under jackets, plastic bags or soggy newspapers. Trinity Fromm, from Louisville, stood in the rain but said it “doesn’t take away from it at all.”

Michael Stewart, a New Albany, Ind., businessman, said he was bringing two of his teenage children to the show to introduce them to the Stones, which he said was “my job as a parent.”

“Having it here at Churchill is perfect,” he said. “It’s great Louisville has finally gotten a big-name band in town.”

Earlier, fans pumped their fists as opener Alice Cooper, dressed in leather pants and coattails, stalked theatrically around the stage holding a snake, sword and other props as he sang classics such as “No More Mr. Nice Guy.”

As the rain picked up midway through Cooper’s set, some people headed for cover and others pulled raincoats over their heads. But most stayed outside until Cooper finished his set around 8 p.m., with his biggest hit, “School’s Out.”

When the Stones took the stage, concert-goers watched on a 50-foot video screen that dominated a smoky set that at one point featured giant inflatable lips.

Before the show, fans packed the parking lot for tailgating that began around 4 p.m. College students guzzled beer near older people, including grandparents such as Ruth Heideman, who brought her daughter and grandson, 15-year-old Blake Johnson, “for the history.”

Five 50-year-old Ohio residents sat behind their minivan in the parking lot sipping wine around a table piled with cheese and grapes. Sandy Gerber, 59, said the Stones represented the music of her youth that she wanted to see because “at Mick’s age and ours, it’s now or never.”

The band’s performance came despite recent health troubles. Keith Richards was hurt recently after falling from a tree in Fiji, guitarist Ron Wood has been treated for alcohol abuse and drummer Charlie Watts was diagnosed in 2004 with throat cancer.

Jagger summed up the night as the band prepared for its final number to standing applause: “Thank you, Louisville. You’re beautiful.”

30th September 2006 04:20 AM
Jeep A video report from FOX41 :

http://wdrb.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=8082&Category_ID=3
30th September 2006 07:42 AM
corgi37 Well, just a show. I reckon they'd love doing the same old same old as they can go on auto-pilot.

But, what insults me is the distance from stage to audience. Thats just fucking amazingly bad. I noticed in many places the stage seems much higher too. The Sth American countries for instance. It just totally ruins the bands relationship to the crowd.

In Sydney, it was nice and low and from our 4th row seats, we could make our the outlines of their knobs in their pants. But then again, we are a peace loving nation.
30th September 2006 08:20 AM
Jeep Another video report from WAVE3 :

http://www.zippyvideos.com/6508359076057976/louisville_-_wave3_-_2006_09_29_-_ripped_by_jeep/
30th September 2006 09:49 AM
Bitch DEAD FLOWERS, YOU GOT THE SILVER, LITTLE T&A & PAINT IT BLACK were the special songs of the night.

Dead Flowers

You Got the Silver

Little T&A

Paint it Black
30th September 2006 09:51 AM
throbby voodoopug! How far was the stage from the front center sections? In some pictures it appears very far away.
30th September 2006 10:47 AM
Scottfree
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

I blame terrorism.

I blame Howard Hughes
30th September 2006 10:49 AM
Paranoid_Android HOLY SHIT!!!

MEG IS ONE SPICEY HOT TAMALE!!!!

I THINK I AM IN LOVE!!!!

Meg...will you be in AC?!? Can I buy you a drink?!? Will you even acknowledge my existance?!?

Am I gushing too much???????

HAMINAH-HAMINAH-HAMINAH-HAMINAH

30th September 2006 01:20 PM
GotToRollMe
Stones live up to their legend, serve up a no-apologies show
By Jeffrey Lee Puckett
[email protected]
The Courier-Journal

The Rolling Stones hit the stage last night at Churchill Downs at full throttle and in a steady rainfall, singing the only song appropriate for a mostly wet night of rock 'n' roll.

"I was born in a cross-fire hurricane
I howled at my Ma in the driving rain
But it's all right now, in fact it's a gas."

And it was. An absolute gas. After that perfect start, the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band never faltered, delivering two hours of its primal, signature sound - long on Chuck Berry licks, sleazy grooves and Mick Jagger's bluesy slur.

At no point during the two-hour show was there any indication that the band has been performing some of these songs for 30 or 40 years. Chestnuts such as "Honky Tonk Women," "Tumbling Dice," "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and even "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" sounded more vital than the originals.

And, yes, they performed "Dead Flowers."

"Since we're in Kentucky we thought we'd do a little country music for you," Jagger said, perhaps anticipating the roar that would greet the line about "making bets on Kentucky Derby day."

The Stones looked the part, too.

Mick strutted into the rain in a shimmering silver coat and matching hat, while Keith Richards looked as if he had just rolled out of a fishing trawler's hold and grabbed a guitar. Guitarist Ron Wood and drummer Charlie Watts, as usual, were the quiet, steady ones. They were perfect English gentlemen, as well, apologizing several times for the rain that finally stopped a little more than an hour into the show.

The stage was a towering vision out of a science-fiction film, seven stories tall and surrounded by nine video screens - only a band with personalities as large as Mick's and Keith's could have competed with something so daunting. They didn't use a lot of flash, either, except when a small section of the stage glided into the crowd during "Honky Tonk Women." They didn't need tricks. This was the Rolling Stones, the band that every critic uses as a shortcut when describing other bands, and they lived up to their legend.

Shock rock pioneer Alice Cooper opened with a strong set of old-school hard rock. The best songs had an intensity that was half metal, half punk. Cooper led a tight band through many of his biggest hits and made liberal use of props, including a snake, saber and a vampire dominatrix. His best moments were on "I'm Eighteen" and "School's Out," anthems for confused youth that have stood the test of time.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060930/SCENE04/60930013
30th September 2006 01:23 PM
GotToRollMe Stones roll despite cold, rain
Jagger and company rock their way through warhorse hits, newer material
By Walter Tunis
Contributing Music Critic
Mark Cornelison/Staff

Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones performed at Churchill Downs yesterday. Well, what did you expect by staging a massive outdoor concert at the end of September?

For last night's sold-out performance at the seemingly unlikely locale of Churchill Downs by the Rolling Stones -- the iconic British rock band's first Kentucky performance in 17 years -- you got Bluegrass weather at its most infamous: steady rain and pervasive cold.

None of that kept anyone -- including the Stones, opening act Alice Cooper or the fevered crowd of 50,000 plus -- from getting down at the Downs.

For the Stones, who have taken ribbing for becoming a corporate-minded nostalgia machine since returning to touring after a prolonged absence in 1989, the evening was filled with merry retribution.

The band called on its most potent special effect, Keith Richards, to start the show with the suitably stormy riffs of Jumpin' Jack Flash. The chemistry between the guitarist and singer/song mate Mick Jagger, which inspired an entire catalogue of expertly dark rock 'n' roll during the '60s and enough dissension to nearly rip the band at the seams in the '80s, was again a thing of wonder.

Jagger entered with a glittered hat and waistcoat as a sort of hip Bogart who used the steady rain as atmosphere. Richards was dressed for work in a black coat and sailor cap with a skull and crossbones .

From there, the Stones worked off the weather with often astonishing results. On Streets of Love, Jagger managed the near impossible. He turned a ballad from the Stones' newest album (2005's A Bigger Bang) into a ball of subtle but highly energized rock and soul that was more impassioned than the warhorse hits.

But the evening's clear standout was Midnight Rambler. When Stones drummer Charlie Watts, the epitome of rhythmic rock economy, starts a tune with a jagged, stormy break, you know the sparks are going to soar. From there, Jagger went wild, dancing across the front of the three-story stage as a scowling Richards stood as a shadow against the tune's rootsy drive.

Richards also supplied the evening's biggest song surprise: a wiry update of 1968's You Got the Silver with guitarist Ron Wood as his principal foil. Curiously this was when the rain stopped for good. Hey, would you dare shower upon the mighty Richards when he feels the blues? Me neither.

The Stones had help during this two-hour performance. Keyboardist Chuck Leavell, a native Southerner, showed the Brits true honky-tonk piano spirit in Honky Tonk Women while bassist Darryl Jones supplied the funky soul foundation to Miss You, the song that allowed the Stones to climb aboard a portable chunk of the stage that sailed to the middle of the crowd like a small barge.

Despite the market-driven ticket prices, this was clearly still a band at work. From the horn-driven charge of Tumbling Dice -- a tune that never fails to evoke a party mood -- to the blacker, percussive strut of Sympathy for the Devil, the Stones weren't merely elder rock statesman at the Downs. They were rocking in the moment.

Show opener Cooper — yeah, the same Alice Cooper that feigned hangings and decapitations as part of his stage act 30-plus years ago — was also full of playful fire in an hourlong set.

The man does love his props: canes to twirl (on the opening, No More Mr. Nice Guy), necklaces to toss to the crowd (for the new Dirty Diamonds), showers of fake money (for Billion Dollar Babies, of course), and during Is It My Body? — a live python.

"Say hello to the nice people," Cooper said as means of encouragement to his stage companion. Otherwise, the set was essentially a hit parade, although offering three songs from 1971's Killer (Cooper's best album) was a cool surprise.

There was still plenty of fat that could have been trimmed. But when Cooper donned white tails and top hat for the finale of School's Out as legions of 50-somethings sang along to the tune's unapologetically juvenile chorus ("no more pencils, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks"), one had to smile.

Ultimately, everything last night was about show business. The Stones even admitted such in the title of the show's second rain-soaked tune: It's Only Rock 'n' Roll.

But we like it. Yes we do.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/15645530.htm?source=rss&channel=kentucky_news

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)