ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new to group tonight. Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 6th, 2005 09:18 PM
king bee Just wanted to say hello and intoduce myself. I noticed when I registered my username it had been used by someone else. Hopefully who used it before didn't piss off many of the current users I have been a huge fan of the Stones for 30 or so years, since about 12 years of age. I guess my favorite stone is Keith- well, Mick, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill ( when playing) all kick some butt. Brian Jones & Mick Taylor- who cares. Wheres Mick Taylor now? I guess if your into a stereotypical guitar players he was OK. Those guys are a dime a dozen I have seen him live with some other bands-boreing. Sorry, Keith and Ronnie know how to get that sound and get it done. I have seen the Stones on thier tours in 78,81,89 and 1994. I cant wait to see them in January in Omaha, Nebraska. Its been 40 years since they played here. I can't believe all the bitching about the set list of songs they have played so far on this tour.Every forum I have checked out its the same bitching. It all looks good to me as far as the songs. I must admit I can't imagine a Stones concert without Keith doing "Happy" but you know what, bring on all the other great songs. Randy
October 6th, 2005 09:24 PM
jb Nice way to join the board slagging the greatest guitar player on the earth circa 69-74..............Mick Taylor is a god and all real Stones fans no it. Since his departure, mediocrity has been the one Stones consistent.
[Edited by jb]
October 6th, 2005 09:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Man, you just pissed off a bunch of Taylorites.

I like you.

Welcome aboard.
October 6th, 2005 09:30 PM
the good
quote:
king bee wrote:
Just wanted to say hello and intoduce myself. I noticed when I registered my username it had been used by someone else. Hopefully who used it before didn't piss off many of the current users I have been a huge fan of the Stones for 30 or so years, since about 12 years of age. I guess my favorite stone is Keith- well, Mick, Charlie, Ronnie and Bill ( when playing) all kick some butt. Brian Jones & Mick Taylor- who cares. Wheres Mick Taylor now? I guess if your into a stereotypical guitar players he was OK. Those guys are a dime a dozen I have seen him live with some other bands-boreing. Sorry, Keith and Ronnie know how to get that sound and get it done.

I like Taylor a lot, but I think you make some really good points. Whe Keith and Woody are on, their chemistry is incredible.
October 6th, 2005 09:31 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Man, you just pissed off a bunch of Taylorites.

I like you.

Welcome aboard.

SS, you have a PM
October 6th, 2005 09:36 PM
Starbuck it has to be feej!

October 6th, 2005 09:46 PM
king bee Thanks for the welcome. It was not meant to piss off anyone about what I said about MT. Those albums were great but I find myself paying more attention to the driving force of Keith, Charlie and Bill (when he was hanging around). As keith once said " rock and roll shouldn't be analyzed, in fact it shouldn't even be thought about deeply". Its supposed to be fun and thats the way I look at it. When they come to Omaha, play what you want boys, I am going to enjoy every second.
Randy
October 7th, 2005 12:21 AM
Egbert Welcome KB. Now that we know where you stand on the Taylor/Wood divide we might as well get the other one out of the way now: what are your thoughts on the Beatles/McCartney????
October 7th, 2005 04:48 AM
king bee Hate to say it but I am not a big fan of the Beatles.
I like Georges stuff in and out of the Beatles the best. Paul is coming to Omaha this fall but I have no desire to go see him. I guess I am a 100 % true Rolling Stones fan when it comes to the two bands. I think I even like The Kinks music more than the Beatles- I guess I am just weird R.W.
October 7th, 2005 05:08 AM
Lil Brian
quote:
king bee wrote:
Brian Jones & Mick Taylor- who cares.

Huh? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
October 7th, 2005 05:16 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I must admit that I used to think that Mick Taylor was a waste of space and that Ronnie was god. However, I then bothered to actually listen to Mick Taylor. He is by far the best guitarist the stones have ever had and Ronnie couldnt hold a candle to his fart.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
October 7th, 2005 11:51 AM
jb
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I must admit that I used to think that Mick Taylor was a waste of space and that Ronnie was god. However, I then bothered to actually listen to Mick Taylor. He is by far the best guitarist the stones have ever had and Ronnie couldnt hold a candle to his fart.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]

You are now a "A" list poster..listen to the Taylor era boots and be mesmerized at the fact that the Stones once truly were the rock gods of the world..Taylor could compete and beat amny of the other guitarists playing at that time.
October 7th, 2005 12:02 PM
Voodoo Scrounge I have been getting more into Taylor over the past few months. I didnt think that the Stones had done a better live performance of Gimme Shelter than B2B. That was my all time favourite. But then I saw Ladies and Gentleman and ny jaw hit the ground. Taylor is just immense. I also think that he is fabulous on Dead flowers.

Is it Taylor playing on If You Cant Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud on live licks. I think it is. That is one of my all time favourite tracks.

Ive got an idea. Lets bring back Mick Taylor and Keep Ronnie too! Although turn him down
October 7th, 2005 12:10 PM
jb
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I have been getting more into Taylor over the past few months. I didnt think that the Stones had done a better live performance of Gimme Shelter than B2B. That was my all time favourite. But then I saw Ladies and Gentleman and ny jaw hit the ground. Taylor is just immense. I also think that he is fabulous on Dead flowers.

Is it Taylor playing on If You Cant Rock Me/Get Off My Cloud on live licks. I think it is. That is one of my all time favourite tracks.

Ive got an idea. Lets bring back Mick Taylor and Keep Ronnie too! Although turn him down

If you like L&G try listening to Brussels, Philly Special, Sydney 73 and the list goes on....Taylor put the Stones on a new stratasphere..some don't like the leads, but I'll take it anyday of this non-lead bullshit ancient form of weaving...a am a guitar driven man who keeps his womne close and money closer.
October 7th, 2005 12:20 PM
nankerphelge ha -- kudos to the newbie -- a Ronnie Wood fan and he doesn't like the Beatles!!

Go for the hat trick dude -- say "Bono is a twat!"
October 7th, 2005 12:24 PM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
ha -- kudos to the newbie -- a Ronnie Wood fan and he doesn't like the Beatles!!

Go for the hat trick dude -- say "Bono is a twat!"

W- W- W- What ?!?!

http://www.u2tours.com/

October 7th, 2005 12:26 PM
Voodoo Scrounge I will have to try and get hold of some of that stuff you just mentioned. Not the women, but the gigs. Dont get me wrong. I still think that the Stones wipe the floor with any band around even with this lineup. But I would prefer to see Taylor back in action just to hear those leads live. They are fantastic.
October 7th, 2005 12:44 PM
doo doo doo Dude
Keith's expression says it all
October 7th, 2005 03:03 PM
king bee Never said Mick Taylor sucked. Just think that there were other guitar players in that lead type of guitar player world who could have done the same thing. Look at all the guys who "auditioned" after MT quit. There were numerous players just as good.Remember, that was thirty years ago and I have never heard much about him since. At least I didn't call him a fat doughnut eating bastard like I saw in other posts. I just don't understand why people think that just becouse your out front playing a thousand chords that in the end, your like, "what the hell was all that about" And that makes him better than the other guy in the band? Heres the senerio Its like a cake. Everyone likes the frosting(lead guitar) But if the cake doesn't start baking right or the ingrediants suck (Rythm,drum &bass) The cake is still gonna taste crappy no matter how tasty the frosting is Rock on Keith & Ronnie
October 7th, 2005 03:11 PM
glencar Welcome aboard!
October 7th, 2005 04:55 PM
Joey " The cake is still gonna taste crappy no matter how tasty the frosting is "

< ----- Just put a Little Arby Sauce on it

Oh Lil' Fella ............. You Bad !!!!!

Sassy !
October 7th, 2005 05:14 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:
" The cake is still gonna taste crappy no matter how tasty the frosting is "

< ----- Just put a Little Arby Sauce on it

Oh Lil' Fella ............. You Bad !!!!!

Sassy !

<--------Or better yet - Horsey Sauce!
October 7th, 2005 05:29 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

<--------Or better yet - Horsey Sauce!

FUNNY !!!!!!!

" WASHINGTON — President Bush's job approval is mired at the lowest level of his presidency, and public feelings about the nation's direction have sunk to new depths in an Associated Press-Ipsos poll.

People are anxious about Iraq (search), the economy, gas prices (search) and the management of billions of dollars being spent for recovery from the nation's worst natural disaster.

"There is a growing, deep-seated discontentment and pessimism about the direction of the country," said Republican strategist Tony Fabrizio (search), who believes that pessimism is not always aimed at the president and his policies.

Only 28 percent say the country is headed in the right direction and two-thirds, 66 percent, say the country is on the wrong track, the AP-Ipsos poll found.

Those most likely to have lost optimism on that score include several groups that supported Bush in his re-election: white evangelicals, down 30 percentage points; Republican women, down 28 points; Southerners, down 26 points, and suburban men, down 20.

Americans' confidence in the nation's direction has been shaken on several fronts.

Consumer confidence is near the lowest level in two years. Most people are unhappy with the president's handling of the economy, gas prices and hurricane recovery. Just over a third approve of his handling of Iraq. Six in 10 are unsure whether billions of dollars for hurricane relief will be spent wisely.

Bush's job approval was 39 percent in the poll, about where he's been for the three months. "

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171607,00.html

October 7th, 2005 05:29 PM
doo doo doo Dude Proof is in the frosting:

http://user.bahnhof.se/~hasu/Ulflist/Love%20In%20Vain%20.zip
October 8th, 2005 12:24 AM
Brainbell Jangler Say what you want about Mick the Quitter, but "Brian Jones . . . who cares?" Hold on a minute, son. I'll tell you who cares. For starters, anyone who enjoys a little combo Brian got together called the Rollin' Stones. Add those who dig some ditties called Ruby Tuesday, Paint It Black, Under My Thumb and We Love You. So, when the boys play Ruby Tuesday in Omaha, spare a thought for the cat who actually wrote it.

Josh wrote: "Mick Taylor is a god and all real Stones fans no it." Nice slip there, Joshie. Paging Dr. Freud. Not "KNOW it," but "NO it." I sure NO it.
October 8th, 2005 01:35 AM
king bee Your right about Brian Jones. He did start the Stones. The only problem is he didn't have the balls to stick it out From everything I have read by the members of the Stones and hired authors after the first few years, say 62? to 66? he really was nothing but dead weight. You read about Brian and then later Mick Taylor crying about not getting thier dues. Being realistic, there is no way they could write better music than Mick or Keith. Both turned out to be two more casualties in a long list. Very talented yes, rock gods and I hate to use that term, nope. They did nothing productive music wise on thier own. Sorry to say, MT & BJ had the ride of thier lifetimes and the blew it. Sorry, I admire people like Keith: now days on these forums everyones bashing him saying he is nothing but a shelled out drunk.You should be knocking them and not me. At least Ron Wood has the balls to stick it outKB
October 8th, 2005 02:01 AM
Brainbell Jangler I'm not knocking you, KB, just taking issue with your comment about Brian. Of course Mick and Keith are lightyears beyond Brian as songwriters. But Brian's instrumental versatility added texture and variety to the early and psychedelic Stones periods. Sure, Brian pissed away his spot with the Stones, but his legacy deserves respect.

I hope it goes without saying that Keith has earned and enjoys the highest respect and love of all Stones fans and rock fans generally. I don't think it's bashing Keith to suggest that his drinking isn't doing him or the band any good. He's still great, no question, but can he continue to be great without changing his habits? I think it's a fair question and one motivated by love of Keith and the Stones and a desire to see them keep rolling.
October 8th, 2005 02:19 AM
king bee Oh, by the way, who the hell is Bono? Is he in a band?
October 8th, 2005 02:39 AM
king bee Brainbell Jangler
I agree with your post in giving Brian his dues. I am just sick of the crybabies whimpering about it. That was 40 years ago! I too hope that if its true, his drinking, that Keith keeps it in check. I never admired him for his habits, but the ability to keep everything together for the most part. Think of all the casualties in music and such. I wonder why everyones bashing his contributions to the new CD? I am sure his input more than changed a few of Micks songs. Funny, the other day I mentioned to my brother that this could be the queen mother of Mick Jagger solo CDs with this kick ass back up band he put together. I for one love the new CD. I would put it in the top 5 list at 5b right behind Some Girls
KB
October 8th, 2005 07:21 AM
Ramrod Hi KB....who cares about Brian?... just let me say this (and I could say so much more).....

Brian was a great harmonica player. Check out 'under assistant west coast promo man', 'Spider and the fly' (I think that is Brian and not Mick J), 'One more try'. All really good examples of his excellent harp playing.

Brian was also a great early exponent of the Mellotron. A lot of people don't like the Stones psychedelic stuff but I for one love it. '2000 light years from home' is great. 'We love you' is great. And his slide playing was also excellent, in the Muddy Waters style. He used both the slide and the mellotron together for great effect on 'Jigsaw puzzle'. His use of the sitar was also very effective.

He had a good grasp of reeds - his soprano sax solo on 'Dandelion' while simple is moving and effective, as was his recorder in 'Ruby tuesday' of course.

He was the one who played the riff that was central to 'The last time'. And the original 2 guitar weaving style that the Stones use today was originally developed by Brian and Keef.

What would they have been like without him? Certainly there would have been some success, but can you imagine just Keef's guitars and none of the other aforementioned tonal colour? It's not just about how hard something is to play but how it fits and coming up with the ideas he did deserves great credit. He contributed much that went under the radar of the general public.

I think the guy was musically great but sadly an alchoholic.
It made him violent and unreasonable and wrecked his career ultimatley. He parted from the Stones a sick man, arguably unable to do much with his music at that time - hence no solo work proper completed. In fact if he hadn't drowned he may even have died from liver failure anyway as his liver was in such a state at his time of death. Who knows?

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)