ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Why....did Mick Taylor quit? Return to archive
October 5th, 2005 05:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I've read alot of stuff over the years but I still don't know.
October 5th, 2005 05:34 PM
Dan He got sick of all the setlist whiners always wanting to hear Satisfaction, Paint It Black and other neglected hits.
October 5th, 2005 05:36 PM
doo doo doo Dude The age old question. This article is a pretty good summary:

http://www.micktaylor.net/why_mick_taylor_quit_the_stones.html

October 5th, 2005 05:37 PM
pdog He decided the drug use was going to kill him, so he quit and decided getting fat was healthier!
Oh, he also was pissed about songs he helped write and didn't get credit for... Ronnie doesn't seem to mind and decided cocaine was better than Twinkies!

Yum!
October 5th, 2005 05:40 PM
Saint Sway a brilliant career move.

Mick Taylor makes David Caruso look like Nostradmas.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
October 5th, 2005 05:45 PM
gustavobala 1- tired by the stones world

2- tired from jagger/richards ego

3- no credits on stones musics

4- fear from drugs

October 5th, 2005 05:47 PM
pdog
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
1- tired by the stones world

4- fear from drugs

That's why he got so strung out after quitting... The man defies all reason and inteligence!
he never did seem to come up with another great song again either!
Back seat on The Stones bus is still better than front seat on the Twinkie bus!
October 5th, 2005 05:52 PM
sammy davis jr. He was tired of maintaining the Rolling Stones 140lb. RULE...
October 5th, 2005 06:06 PM
ListenToTheLion He foresaw the making of Dirty Work
October 5th, 2005 06:13 PM
the good
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
1- tired by the stones world

4- fear from drugs

We hear the songwriting thing all the time. What damn songs did he write? He didn't write shit.
October 5th, 2005 06:15 PM
pdog
quote:
the good wrote:

We hear the songwriting thing all the time. What damn songs did he write? He didn't write shit.

He played a big role in Sway... But as far as credit goes, it's debatable. Putting down the the lyrics and riff was all Jagger, Taylor probably had alot of input, BUt his was coming up with leads... He confused inspiration with credit. His sourness just grew from there!
October 5th, 2005 06:18 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
the good wrote:

"Time Waits For No One", I think, was the main culprit.
October 5th, 2005 06:30 PM
texile keith treated him like shit ....although keith treated alot of people like shit back then;
he and jagger actually excelled together and that partnership is what makes GHS and IORR so distinctive and great.
October 5th, 2005 06:41 PM
voodoostones The credit story is not debatable. Taylor never asked to have the songs credited to him only but a few to Jagger/Taylor just like Moonlight Mile, Sway (where Keith was not even in the studio) Times Wait For No One...
October 5th, 2005 06:53 PM
texile keith couldn't handle anybody else that dominant on guitar.....i know a guy like that - would always turn himself up to drown out everybody else.
i love the guy but keith's ego is vastly underrated....
October 5th, 2005 07:32 PM
Soldatti 100 Years Ago and Winter were Jagger/Taylor songs too.
October 5th, 2005 07:44 PM
hotlicks some great songs since he left the stones ??????
October 5th, 2005 07:54 PM
kath so he could stay home, eat, and read the never ending "taylor vs woody" threads......
October 6th, 2005 10:46 AM
gustavobala he was tired of these stones world....

the musics, drugs, ego are in these context!!!

mick jagger says he not was in the 2nd IORR sessions(1974) because he was "sick"

it has the history on the swiss clinic that would have changed the blood of him, and also the history of the nasal mucosa
October 6th, 2005 10:46 AM
gustavobala ...but i believe in the "tired history"
October 6th, 2005 11:03 AM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

"Time Waits For No One", I think, was the main culprit.

Damn Straight My Stonesian Kin !!!!!
October 6th, 2005 12:33 PM
Stones I remember reading a short interview around the R&R Hall of Fame induction and he was asked "Why did you leave?" His answer was "I ask myself that all the time"
October 6th, 2005 12:35 PM
ventilatorblues72 I don't think it matters WHY he left. What matters is that he DID. It has taken me many years to accept Ron Wood as the Stones lead guitarist, in fact I stopped listening to the Stones partly because of him for about 20 years. Now when I listen to '78 stuff I realize that Woody isn't a bad guitarist he's just a different kind of gutiarist than Mick. Mick was like a craftsman who weaved fluid lines of music around the basic Stones melodies, filling in and fleshing out. Woody plays a chippier guitar more of an echo of Keith added more buzz to the mix. When he was good I heard a hornet stinging, when Mick played I heard a songbird singing. Personally I prefer MT. That was the incarnation I started with. I love the Stones today but I LOVE the '69 -'73 Stones.
October 6th, 2005 12:40 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
the good wrote:

He wrote about as much as Keith did on the new record ... Tee-hee.
October 6th, 2005 02:31 PM
texile
quote:
ventilatorblues72 wrote:
I don't think it matters WHY he left. What matters is that he DID. It has taken me many years to accept Ron Wood as the Stones lead guitarist, in fact I stopped listening to the Stones partly because of him for about 20 years. Now when I listen to '78 stuff I realize that Woody isn't a bad guitarist he's just a different kind of gutiarist than Mick. Mick was like a craftsman who weaved fluid lines of music around the basic Stones melodies, filling in and fleshing out. Woody plays a chippier guitar more of an echo of Keith added more buzz to the mix. When he was good I heard a hornet stinging, when Mick played I heard a songbird singing. Personally I prefer MT. That was the incarnation I started with. I love the Stones today but I LOVE the '69 -'73 Stones.

agree....
October 6th, 2005 02:35 PM
ventilatorblues72 Blue Magic
October 6th, 2005 02:36 PM
texile
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

He wrote about as much as Keith did on the new record ... Tee-hee.

yeah - my friend just called me at work and told me that - STOP THE PRESSES! - keith only brought three songs to ABB........and that mick was the main writer - no surprise.....
October 7th, 2005 01:49 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:
The age old question. This article is a pretty good summary:

http://www.micktaylor.net/why_mick_taylor_quit_the_stones.html

Great article...really enjoyed it...thx!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)