ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: They weren't the stars-they were just the Stones (Omaha World Herald) Return to archive
October 5th, 2005 12:43 PM
Lil Brian From today's Omaha World Herald:

Rainbow Rowell: They weren't the stars - they were just the Stones

BY RAINBOW ROWELL

WORLD-HERALD COLUMNIST

Out-of-town bands usually didn't stop by Johnny Ray Gomez's TV dance party, "Dancestand." But this band was desperate.

The Rolling Stones couldn't give away tickets to their Omaha show back in June 1964.

When their promoter called Johnny Ray, the popular 20-year-old host of "Dancestand," he was happy to have the band on the show.

"Dancestand" was an Omaha version of "American Bandstand" that aired every Saturday afternoon on KETV Channel 7, just after Dick Clark's show.

Johnny Ray was the host, and there were about 10 regular dancers. Every week, the show spotlighted dancers from different local high schools. (Fans of the movie "Hairspray" will recognize the format of "The Corny Collins Show.")

Johnny Ray spun records and counted down the week's most popular records. Sometimes his band - Johnny Ray Gomez and the U-Neeks - would play. The show lasted only two years because Johnny Ray and the band went on the road. (Johnny Ray, now 62, still performs with the Johnny Ray Gomez Show when he can.)

The "Dancestand" dancers were thrilled that the Stones were coming, Johnny Ray remembered. Not that anybody really knew who the Stones were then. The kids were just excited that something new was happening on the show.

"It took me by surprise, really . . . that they wanted to be on the show," Johnny Ray said. Paul Anka and the Beatles weren't exactly begging to get on "Dancestand."

The Stones' visit to Omaha has gone down in the rock 'n' roll record books as one of their worst touring experiences. Only about 650 people came to the show at the Civic Auditorium Music Hall, a cop tried to take their whiskey, and, according to Keith Richards, the local girls were less than cooperative.

But Johnny Ray didn't see any of that surliness.

The Stones seemed to be having a really good time when he met them. "They liked being there. This was their element."

The Stones hung out in the studio for his entire show and watched the dancing. "They loved the pretty Omaha-Council Bluffs girls."

During his on-air interview, he asked them about their current single, "Not Fade Away" - which peaked at 48 on the U.S. charts - and about what they were planning to play that night.

"The conversation would always lead back to the girls."

The Stones were so grateful to Johnny, they gave him free tickets to that night's show.

He had a nice time, but he had to leave early. Johnny Ray Gomez and the U-Neeks were booked that night at the Mediterranean, a steakhouse at 44th and Dodge Streets.

Did his band draw more people than the Stones that night? Johnny Ray is too much a gentleman to say.

"Possibly," he laughed.

(photo added to article - thanks to Lil Brian)
[Edited by Gazza]
October 5th, 2005 04:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 1964 was a long time ago.
October 5th, 2005 11:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
1964 was a long time ago.

October 6th, 2005 01:38 AM
corgi37 I was 1.
October 6th, 2005 03:16 AM
Voodoo Scrounge My dad was 7
October 6th, 2005 01:17 PM
Joey

I was born that year !!!!

Word
October 6th, 2005 02:40 PM
stonesmik The sperm in my fathers scrotum wasn't ready yet.
October 6th, 2005 10:08 PM
king bee Lil Brian
Hello. I just joined tonight and noticed you posted that article from the Omaha World Herald. I am from Omaha. You from around here? That article was pretty amusing to read before we started work today.
Randy
October 7th, 2005 05:01 AM
Lil Brian King Bee Randy- Yeah, I'm nearby and very ready for Omaha (and Denver)! At the bottom of this post, click on PM and you can send me a private message off-line. Welcome to Rocks Off.
Jay
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)