ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Bigger Bang's Poor Sales Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 4th, 2005 03:34 PM
SmallerBang http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171167,00.html

Yesterday, Warner announced it was taking a $25-$30 million charge against its fiscal fourth quarter financial results in connection with its integration of Lava Records into The Atlantic Records Group.

Of course, if Flom is in at Virgin, then Matt Serletic, who's been trying to keep the EMI-owned label afloat, could be out.

Serletic came to Virgin in the winter of 2002, based on his success producing Matchbox Twenty, Aerosmith and others.

But at Virgin, he never really achieved much in the way of hits.

Last year, he and A&R man Josh Deutsch launched modern R&B star Ricky Fante with an album that featured two tracks that were borrowed, without credit, from previous incarnations.

If Flom does take over Virgin — which now seems to be certain — he will be assigned the task of immediately reviving the Rolling Stones' faltering "A Bigger Bang" album.

The group is currently selling lots of $450 concert tickets, but almost no copies of its album.

"A Bigger Bang" is Virgin's only album in the top 40, and that's by just a hair.

I reported in this space a couple of weeks ago that Virgin has also been unable to get the "World's Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Band" much radio play.

October 4th, 2005 03:41 PM
Saint Sway great board name
October 4th, 2005 06:21 PM
Soldatti The KEY on this days is the promotion, Green Day's previous album flopped big time and Virgin fired them because they only sold 1.5 m. copies worldwide and they were "irrelevant". A few months after, Universal/Reprise picked them and they put a lot of effort on their new album, with strong promotion, videos, tv appearances...
The "irrelevant" Green Day according to the SMART PEOPLE on Virgin, now is an act that has sold more than 13 millions of their last album with 3 Top 20 hits in US.
Many others artists had sales peak during the last year due smart marketing moves: U2, Prince, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith's last blues album spent 12 weeks in the US Top 100 and got a #7 hit on the Billboard rock chart...all with a bunch of cheap covers!
Virgin is the WORST record company of the world, all the acts under this label have problems selling albums and is the company with less albums on the charts, I'm so sure that the sales of ABB would be the double if the record company is other, excuse me, ANY OTHER company except Virgin.
October 5th, 2005 01:56 AM
corgi37 Its too late. It's all over. Why not release a 2 cd set of rare live tracks?

I'm thinking Brown Sugar, Start me up, Miss You.

I bet that would sell in the dozens!
October 5th, 2005 02:05 AM
pdog I've had people get in my cab while this album is playing and heard them squeal with delight. I should not be the biggest promoter of this album to the random cab taking public. I probably inspired more strangers to buy this record than the fuckheads at Virgin!
Damn, it's a good record too! I've been blaming the band, for not playing the new songs. Maybe they think nobody wants to hear them...
Somebody tell them we do! Alot... It's a strong record, by a great band. Some stuff, we all would say we can live w/o! But most of it we agree on is really very good.
October 5th, 2005 05:45 AM
egon soldatti is virging airlines as bad as virgin records?
You see, i booked a flight with them....
October 5th, 2005 05:56 AM
Gazza their trains are even worse, egon!

As far as I know, Richard Branson still has full ownership of the airline company. Responsibility for the record label is down to EMI as he sold the company to them in 1992
October 5th, 2005 06:07 AM
egon i always wanted to die in australia.

How's their cola tasting?
October 5th, 2005 06:48 AM
IzzyStradlin The album isn't selling because it's average at BEST.

What's so hard to understand?
October 5th, 2005 07:01 AM
IanBillen
It definately could of been stronger. However it isn't by any means a flop. It is already well over platinum and should go double platinum. If it goes triple platinum that is really all you can ask for. I will be hgappy if it sells three milliion at this point. It still isn't a flop no matter how you look at it. It just has less considerably less sales than originally anticipated or hoped for.

Still it will sell close to three mill atleast. That is by no means a flop. Nothing spectacular but it is a legitimate selling album.

Ian
October 5th, 2005 07:03 AM
IanBillen [quote]IanBillen wrote:

It definately could of been stronger. However it isn't by any means a flop. It is already well over platinum and should go double platinum. If it goes triple platinum that is really all you can ask for. I will be hgappy if it sells three milliion at this point. It still isn't a flop no matter how you look at it. It just has less considerably less sales than originally anticipated or hoped for.

Still it will sell close to three mill atleast. That is by no means a flop. Nothing spectacular but it is a legitimate selling album.

Ian

Live Licks and No Security were flops.
October 5th, 2005 08:11 AM
exile
quote:
egon wrote:
soldatti is virging airlines as bad as virgin records?
You see, i booked a flight with them....

Egon...Virgin are quite simply the worst airline in Australia.
Where is your flight to and from?

You have to buy your drinks and food and no movie which isnt so bad. The fucking seats are tiny and dont go back very far.

The only saving grace is that all the hostesses are fucking HOT. Vigin have a hire sexy hostess policy which I am in total agreement with
October 5th, 2005 08:23 AM
corgi37 Exile, you have pay on Jetstar too! At least Virgin dont make you get there hours before you have to. I'm waiting for the Minardi guy to start up the 3rd airline.

Anyway, i fly Virgin all the time to the Gold Coast. But, i fly Qantas international.
October 5th, 2005 08:30 AM
stonesmik Do I care if Mick Jaggers solo album "A bigger bang" sells a lot? I couldn't care less. I wouldn't even give a shit about it if it were a better album. Most of the classic Stones albums sold worse than "A bigger bang". I don't think the Stones really need the album money. Look at the ticket prices - that's where they're really gettin' you by your balls.

October 5th, 2005 08:53 AM
egon
quote:
exile wrote:
Egon...Virgin are quite simply the worst airline in Australia.
Where is your flight to and from?

I'll (try to) fly from melbourne to brisbane.
October 5th, 2005 10:00 AM
exile I fly from Sydney to Darwin quite often its a four hour flight. So you need some sort of entertainment a movie or TV program.

There is no Jet Star flying to darwin so i am unfamilar with that airline.

Quantas is the same price up here as virgin most of the time. SO its either 4 hours of nothing and buy drinks and food or 4 hours movie and dinner included. Same price or a little more at quantas.

turning a biggerbang thread into a discussion on Australian Airlines
October 5th, 2005 10:11 AM
telecaster This article was written by Roger Freidman who despises The Stones because they won't do an interview with him

This fatass claims there are almost "no sales" even though it already is Platinum

Roger should be shot on site
October 5th, 2005 11:17 AM
time is on my side I keep hearing this same echo over and over on this board. The poor sales of ABB, how disappointing it all is, will their record label drop them, blah, blah, blah.

For the people whose echo I keep hearing, a link is listed below and I want you to tell me how many acts in the entire world have sold more albums, more CD's than the STONES over the past three weeks. I want you to get back with me with a list of acts. From what I've been hearing, it should be a lengthy list. Again, I'm only talking about sales over the last three weeks over the 3rd planet from the sun called earth.

http://www.geocities.com/inthitlists/albums.htm

[Edited by time is on my side]
October 5th, 2005 02:05 PM
SmallerBang If you want to say the Stones' numbers are invalid because the article is written by someone who doesn't like them, fine. Just look at the billboard charts and the facts are right there.

And about whining about promotion - PLEASE!!! They have commercials on every network for the NFL featuring their new music, played a new song before a football game, and have been featured on every network and news program about their new album. The word is out. I think people simply think the Stones are too old to be doing anything worth noticing anymore, which is unfair.

It's also convenient to brush off the "Sweet Neo Con" controversy, which arguably gave the band the most U.S. publicity. Pissing off over half the country that re-elected George W. Bush isn't exactly a great marketing strategy...
October 5th, 2005 02:15 PM
time is on my side
quote:
SmallerBang wrote:
If you want to say the Stones' numbers are invalid because the article is written by someone who doesn't like them, fine. Just look at the billboard charts and the facts are right there.

Who is the one ignoring the facts??? You did not respond to my post or the acutal facts which are listed in the link below again for your convenience:

October 5th, 2005 02:28 PM
SmallerBang All you did was prove that Bon Jovi is selling more albums than the Rolling Stones. BON JOVI!!!
October 5th, 2005 02:35 PM
time is on my side
quote:
SmallerBang wrote:
All you did was prove that Bon Jovi is selling more albums than the Rolling Stones. BON JOVI!!!

Who ever said that record sales have anything to do with quality????? I thought you were talking strictly about record sales and the facts associated with one subject and one subject only, record sales.

Yeah, welcome to the real world. When it comes to record sales, BON JOVI sells. You were talking about record sales or were you talking about something else???? I'm a little confused.

October 5th, 2005 02:45 PM
telecaster
quote:
SmallerBang wrote:
If you want to say the Stones' numbers are invalid because the article is written by someone who doesn't like them, fine. Just look at the billboard charts and the facts are right there.

And about whining about promotion - PLEASE!!! They have commercials on every network for the NFL featuring their new music, played a new song before a football game, and have been featured on every network and news program about their new album. The word is out. I think people simply think the Stones are too old to be doing anything worth noticing anymore, which is unfair.

It's also convenient to brush off the "Sweet Neo Con" controversy, which arguably gave the band the most U.S. publicity. Pissing off over half the country that re-elected George W. Bush isn't exactly a great marketing strategy...

The Stones have more gold records than any act in history

Sprinsteen, McCartney & The Stones don't sell albums anymore like they used to

My point is the fatass that wrote the article claims there are almost no sales when in fact it is Platinum already

Shitty journalism

October 5th, 2005 02:49 PM
Joey " Shi##y journalism"

< ----

YES SIR !!!!

October 5th, 2005 03:21 PM
Saint Sway all things considered, I think the sales numbers are outstanding.
October 5th, 2005 03:27 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
all things considered, I think the sales numbers are outstanding.

Actually, they could be better. However, they simply are not as bad as some would have you believe. Why go by someone else's opinion??? Simply go by the facts and make up your own mind.

The link below is provided for your convenience:

October 6th, 2005 03:48 PM
SmallerBang At least provide an official source - why would anyone trust a Geocities site, which are for personal use?
October 6th, 2005 07:11 PM
Soldatti
quote:
SmallerBang wrote:
At least provide an official source - why would anyone trust a Geocities site, which are for personal use?

There are not a 100% official source for world sales, the most reliable is Mediatraffic but it's incomplete with only 20-25 countries.
October 6th, 2005 09:04 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
egon wrote:
i always wanted to die in australia.

bloody hell egon - be careful what you wish for - but we do offer many different and unusual ways to do it:

1. Catch a plane to alice springs - walk off into the bush and just keep walking - you'll be finished in three days tops (maybe four or five if you have some food and water and are relatively healthy)

2. go swimming off the south coast - a white pointer will be along sooner or later

3. again go swimming, this time in the rivers at the top end, the crocdiles are always looking for fresh meat

4. go to a bar in the mining town of Mt.Isa in Queensland (Australia's Deep North)fully made up i.e. lipstick, eyeliner etc. then proposition some miner type - you'll will be beaten to a pulp then tied to the back of a car and draggged out into the scrub where you will be left to die (NB - not only will the police refuse to help you they could well be amongst your attackers)
October 6th, 2005 09:07 PM
jb Funny stuff SIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)