ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
Gracias Lour
Wallace Wade Stadium, Durham, NC - October 8, 2005
© 2005 Tom Mendel / The Chronicle with thanks to Montana!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA, Rocktober 1st, 2005 Setlist ,Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
October 2nd, 2005 09:15 AM
corgi37 I am so jealous, i must masturbate to get "good" thoughts into my head.
October 2nd, 2005 02:22 PM
FPM C10
quote:
throbby wrote:
What a great fucking show!

Absolutely. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around what I saw so I can put it into words.

These pictures are amazing. Can't wait to see more. Can Marko use them for artwork for the tremendous recording of this tremendous show?

It was my privilege and pleasure to finally meet you and Luxy. Hope we see each other again.

Here's the local coverage:

More From The Patriot-News | Subscribe To The Patriot-News
REVIEW
Stones give an electrifying performance
Sunday, October 02, 2005

BY BARRY FOX
Of The Patriot-News

At this point in their career, it would seem almost impossible for the Rolling Stones to actually live up to their larger-than-life reputation.

But last night at Hersheypark Stadium they did, delivering what can only be described as a spectacular performance.

Over the last 43 years, the Stones have been accused of being petulant, difficult, creatively inconsistent and worse. But throughout those years they have always been one of rock's great live acts, and last night they proved that time really is on their side.

Early in the more than two-hour set, an electrifying version of "Midnight Rambler" showed the Stones in microcosm -- Keith Richards, a long chain hanging from his belt and a sequined band around his head, crouching over his guitar; Mick Jagger playing harmonica gesturing with his hands and dancing with an almost manic intensity; a bluesy ad-libbed sequence stretching and pulling and effortlessly changing pace under Charlie Watts steady beats.

Jagger acknowledged the 41-year lapse since the Stones last played the midstate -- June 1964 at the Farm Show in Harrisburg -- recalling they played 11 songs that night but promising much more on this evening.

On their massive stage in front of a three-story tall video screen with fireworks, flames, backup singers and a horn section, "Start Me Up" led into "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll," which preceded "She's So Cold" with nice slide guitar work by Ron Wood.

Explaining the admiration they have for the late Ray Charles and the influence he was on their music, Jagger was joined by back-up singer Lisa Fisher for a cover of Charles' "Nighttime is the Right Time" that was at times sexy and at others almost spiritual.

It's those types of juxtapositions that make the Stones so intriguing. Like Richards taking over the vocals and his stumbling guitar part on "Infamy."

Thankfully, Jagger quickly returned to center stage for "Miss You" as the center part of the stage rose and then rolled down a runway to the middle of the stadium, a classic Stones over-the-top concert feature, for "Oh No, Not You Again," "Get Off My Cloud" and "Honky Tonk Women" before the platform rejoined the main stage.

On "Sympathy For The Devil" the heat from the flames that shot out of the top of the stage could be felt in the crowd.

"Jumpin' Jack Flash" and the lights, smoke and volume defined "rock concert" as did the mini-fireworks show after the encore of classics, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Satisfaction." It's hard not to sound breathlessly complimentary about the Stones in Hershey but this truly was one of the greatest shows the ol' stadium has hosted.

BARRY FOX: 255-8225 or [email protected]

October 2nd, 2005 04:39 PM
throbby Hey FPMC10! It was a pleasure on our end as well. Sorry we couldn't hook up after the show with you guys but it had been a long day and we had a four hour ride ahead of us.

A tremendous show indeed. Nothing quite like seeing the Stones on a warm autumn day.
October 2nd, 2005 04:45 PM
Saint Sway how was Beck?

would of been cool if they brought him out for a tune.

Beck used to play "No Expectations" a lot live.
October 2nd, 2005 04:51 PM
throbby Hey Saint Sway!

I enjoyed Beck, although there are some odd aspects to his stage act. He did indeed do a couple of verses of No Expectations.
October 2nd, 2005 04:53 PM
throbby In need of some restraint!

October 2nd, 2005 05:09 PM
throbby
October 2nd, 2005 05:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
throbby wrote:
Hey Saint Sway!

I enjoyed Beck, although there are some odd aspects to his stage act. He did indeed do a couple of verses of No Expectations.

COOL!!!!

would of been cooler if it was done w/the stones. But cool nontheless
October 2nd, 2005 05:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
throbby wrote:

Another "Throbby moment" again all staring at Throbby...errr Luxy
October 2nd, 2005 06:30 PM
luxury1 No, its throbby. The band thinks he is gay and after Mick's ass........
October 2nd, 2005 07:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl LOL Now I see why Mick is not in that picture and they are laughing... can't describe the scene
October 2nd, 2005 07:42 PM
throbby They probably think I'm some kind of "nutter" with a camera.

Just doing my part to help keep their coffers full.
[Edited by throbby]
October 2nd, 2005 08:01 PM
LadyJane
quote:
throbby wrote:

O
M
G

Just when I think you can't do any better.....

throbby....you AMAZE me!!!!!!!

LJ.
October 3rd, 2005 12:09 AM
BILL PERKS WHAT AN AWESOME SHOW...EXCEPT WOODY OF COURSE,HIS SLIDE WAS NON EXISTENT IN RJ AND ALL DOWN THE LINE..GREAT SETLIST,GREAT CROWD,TAILGATE,,CHARLIE NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE..THE STAGE IS THE BEST THEY'VE EVER DONE..CANT WAIT FOR PHILLY IN 8 DAYS
October 3rd, 2005 12:59 AM
parmeda Throbby...your photos are simply breath-taking.
I hope that you are compiling an album for yourself.
You have done an outstanding job with your efforts.

I have to ask you, though...
Have you found the security to be overly zealous as you're snapping away? It seems as if you're not having any problems what so ever!

I had the most aweful experience with them in Soldier Field this time around...it still infuriates me.

In any case..."good for you"...I'm glad you're the unofficial photographer of the tour. Your pics are far better than what I've seen on the wires.
October 3rd, 2005 06:58 AM
Zack Can someone comment on the arrangement of GOMC? Did it start with the drum lick? Was the chord progression like the 76 versions? What about the vocal delivery?
October 3rd, 2005 07:21 AM
glencar The crowd helped out mightily on the chorus of Get Off Of My Cloud. It did start out with the drums but it seemed a bit slower than 76 but doesn't everything?
October 3rd, 2005 08:35 AM
TomL Well another good show and night of partying. Got to Hershey around 11:30 on Saturday and had to kill 90 minutes or so before I could check in. Got checked in and the new father arrived, Mattman. Matt was so proud of his new baby boy. We met up with moongoddess and her son and separated groups to get to Shakeys. Was nice to see Sharpe E when we were leaving. Was nice to see GJ and friends again. Shakeys was rocking with the Zips and tons of people there. Lynn, Cathy the Philly duo, summer, Tinajagger and so many more Shidoobees. Left with GJ and we went tailgating in one of the parking lots. It was a beautiful day to do so. One thing I did notice with so many people in the parking lot and inside it was just a status symbol to be there. Shame, so many good tix went to waste. We went in and I tried to slip onto the floor with GJ and friend but the person caught the tix and said you are back there(sec 29). When I called the box office the day before they said that the stage was moved back. Well those people in section 25 who thought they were side stage were at least 50 yards back from the stage. I looked at my section(29 which I thought was about half way back, and I was content with that) was most likely like being on the curve at the back at Giants stadium, if not further. So at that point I was on a mission. I walked up to section 25 and saw Lynn sitting there, squeezed a check on the bench beside her. I scoped out the security guard pacing back and forth and his timing. He turned left I went down hopped over a 3 foot fence and marched right down to the 4th row Keith’s side. I slipped into the row where there were 4 empty seats. Right before the lights went down two guys came and two seats were left open. They told me they bought two tix for 95 bucks, lucky bastards. Lights down and no one ever showed up and I had two seats to myself, was great.

Was great to hear rambler and off My cloud again. Again I think the boys were hot and having fun. After the show it was a nightmare. It took us 60 minutes to go 2 miles. Once back to the hotel we were ready to eat. Do not know why I never thought of this before, I brought a crock pot full of hot sausage. With our bellies full at 1:30 or so it was time for night night. Not. We went over to the Philly duo’s hotel and partied some more. At about 5 or so me moongodess, Al, Lisa and a few others went to breakfast at some diner. Moongodess was sleeping on the table. We got back to the room at 6 AM, Nanky would have been proud of me. Up at 9:30 to drive back home. Well it’s off to MCI tonight then at least a couple days of rest before the duck comes in for Charlottesville and Durham, where the crock pot will be making it second début.

It is always nice seeing everyone………………………..
October 3rd, 2005 09:02 AM
throbby Thanks LJ!

Hey Parmeda! I'm glad you're enjoying the photos. So far the only show in which I've had problems taking photos was Albany. I guess it just depends on the venue and the mood of the security people. There's also no flash on the camera I use. Don't want to irritate the band or draw undue attention to myself.

Keith did give me one of those lecherous tongue looks while he was performing on the B stage. Christ, maybe Luxury is right and they think I'm some sort of "gay nutter groupie".

Whatever, it got them laughing.
October 3rd, 2005 09:17 AM
throbby As far as those up front by the stage seats. IMO 99.00 was too much to pay seeing that the stage seemed to be about twelve feet high. If you were in the first ten rows you needed to be as tall as two Masai tribesman to see the full stage Saturday night. All that could be seen was when Mick, Keith, or Ronnie decided to come up to the edge of the stage. Great sound but the absolute worst visual experience for those unfortunate enough to be up front. It amazes me that "limited view" was not printed all over those tickets. The Stones management should truly be ashamed.
October 3rd, 2005 09:39 AM
Candace Youngblood everybody say OW!!!

Oh Yeah!!!

My first Stone's show was very memorable. Thanks for a great weekend.
So nice meeting you guys...Marko, Maxmeister hope you had a good time at our house. You are welcome back any time!

Throbby & Luxury nice meeting you two and Great Pictures, btw!

SS - you rock. Thanks for making yummy lasagna.

And FPM, thank you for being the sweetest, most wonderful boyfriend in the world.
October 3rd, 2005 09:44 AM
Joey

Sounds like everyone sure had a wonderful time !!!!

Great war stories and fantastic photos --- Damn , I should have been there for THIS gig !!!!!!

Hello to all my C10 Brothers ( ... and Stonesian Brothers & Sisters ) . See ya in Omaha !!!!!

Flacky !
October 3rd, 2005 09:45 AM
Sir Stonesalot >EXCEPT WOODY OF COURSE,HIS SLIDE WAS NON EXISTENT IN RJ AND ALL DOWN THE LINE..<

It must have been where you were sitting, because Woody was loud & clear for me. It's loud and clear on the tape too...

Marko made a recording that will snap your mind Bro.

I thought that it was a pretty good show...but now, after listening a couple more times....it was a great show. Even better than I first thought.

October 3rd, 2005 11:22 AM
Martha
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>EXCEPT WOODY OF COURSE,HIS SLIDE WAS NON EXISTENT IN RJ AND ALL DOWN THE LINE..<

It must have been where you were sitting, because Woody was loud & clear for me. It's loud and clear on the tape too...

I thought that it was a pretty good show...but now, after listening a couple more times....it was a great show. Even better than I first thought.

SNAP my mind with a copy of that recording SS!!!! I'll get you the Columbus show as it is on the way to me. YES! Rock on Marko! You're the champ!

Stonesy I feel the same way about the Nationwide gig.....I was so overwhelmed to see them again then we get Sway and Mr. Pitiful.....which was overload for my brain. As I reflect on that show I realize it was absolutely GREAT.

And I cannot wait for this Saturday!!!!!

Sorry I missed the C-10 reunion though.

love,
Martha
October 3rd, 2005 07:01 PM
throbby
October 3rd, 2005 07:06 PM
throbby

October 3rd, 2005 07:52 PM
Saint Sway awesome pics!!

whats Woody's t-shirt?
October 3rd, 2005 09:09 PM
throbby It says "deer me"
October 3rd, 2005 09:12 PM
LadyJane throbby...any photos of the gang in the parking lot???

LJ.
October 3rd, 2005 09:36 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>EXCEPT WOODY OF COURSE,HIS SLIDE WAS NON EXISTENT IN RJ AND ALL DOWN THE LINE..<

When Marko and I met after the gig, we both looked at each other a bit stunned. Same when we found SS.
When we arrived back at FPM's, he looked at us with the same stunned look. This gig was that good. It's so easy to get carried away with the moment even for veterans, but take our word for it, this was truly special.

The sound was far and above anything I've ever heard. Everything you've read about the awesome sound and mixing on this tour is not exaggerated. As for the perfomance, after two days have passed, my first thought still stands. It was the best Stones I've ever experienced. To see Ronnie and Keith actually playing quite well along with Mick and Charlie at the top of their game was absolutely stunning.
I was excited when YGMR didn't show in it's usual slot and for good reason. BOMH was sublime, MR was what it's supposed to be and Night Time made my jaw drop in awe. All Down the Line was great. Add in GOMC and PIB which were killer and we got as good a set as there has been on the tour.

Listening to Marko's recording with the ear buds gave us all that stunned look again. It's going to be a great boot.

All this along with meeting great friends made for another truly memorable weekend. It can never be said enough how great it is experiencing the Stones with fellow Stonesitis infected crazies from the boards.

Oooooh yeah!

Rick

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)