ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones & Washington DC Return to archive
10-07-02 03:07 AM
parmeda Life is too good.

I just arrived home from spending a beautiful weekend in our Nation's Capital. Where else could one go to spend a whirl wind rat race and have so many wonderful things to see and do, and top it all off with a Stones concert...

My weekend started very early, on Thursday. I flew into Dulles, checked into the hotel and spent the rest of the day at Arlington National Cemetery. I was on a mission to see the newly dedicated memorial for The Pentagon Victims. I was in DC a year ago, almost to the day...and saw the mangled destruction. I went back to see how it recovered. The monument that is in the cemetery is beautiful...it was most tastefully designed...and they could not have chosen a more perfect spot to place it. It sits quietly on a back lot, surrounded by grave markers of many of the victims...all facing The Pentagon, that hoovers over the trees, right across the expressway. I'm not embarrassed...I cried like a baby.

Friday was my day to see The Stones, yet again! Earlier in the afternoon, I went to Georgetown to visit the Govinda Gallery and see the showing of the most classic array of photos ever taken of "Our Boys". (Thanks again Voodoo, for turning me on to that!) I spent at least an hour there gawking at the splendor of it all and in the hopes that I would run into Mr. Nankerphelge. It didn't happen and I thought to myself I could maybe catch him in the evening at FedEx. I headed back to my hotel to meet up with my friend from Jersey...he, his wife, his daughter and I took off for Landover.

Let me just stop here for one second. Anyone from the DC area, please don't take this personal, but....your highways, your expressways, your tollways, your roads in general...SUCK!!! What a fucking speghetti bowl of asphalt! God Bless the Metro System though...that's what carted my ass around.

So we head out on the train...along with every other person going to FedEx with the same thoughts that I had about the transportation department and its roadways. We had a blast in the car we were in...it was filled to capacity with Fans! Swapping stories...finding out where everyone was from...hell, have you ever seen that comercial where they take over that subway car with lights, music and someone rolls a couple of coolers on and locks the doors...I was waiting for that to happen! No shit! It was so nice to be in the company of strangers that you have so much in common with.

We arrive at FedEx around 7:30...had a lot of time to kill. We went to see where our seats were. They were great...18 rows up in the first level off of the main floor directly in line with the B stage and the end of the catwalk...on the aisle no less. What was the first thing that jumped into my head? Sir Stonesalot. Yep, it was you. I had this vision of how you described your zig-zagging manuvers to get to the B stage...and decided right then and there, it was going to happen. But, before I made my move, I was on another mission...try and find Nank. Ha! The key word in that last sentence..."try". Poor Nank...I really did try. I don't know if anyone told you I was looking for you, but I cornered at least 20 of those Shidoobee people throughout the night that you were with and put the word out...with no luck. I even went over to your section after The Strokes finished up...oh well, it wasn't meant to be.

What could I possibly say about The Stones that all of you don't already know...they keep getting better each time out of the gate. One thing that impressed me the most was SFTD and the pyro show. This was my first stadium show for this tour and I loved what they did outside. What did they use to torch those flames, jet fuel? I felt the heat come from those damn things...I got nervous for a split second. But the highlight for the evening had to be when I took the advice from the pro...SS, you would have been so proud. I was like a fucking gazelle over the wall, through security and charging the B stage. I was able to get to Keith's side and was sardined in...that's ok though...Mick worked that side more than any other and I was a happy girl. Don't ask me what they played, I could tell you...at that point, I didn't care. For 20 minutes, I was the happiest woman on the planet. The rest of the show was like tossing peanuts to me...

On Saturday my friend left to head back home and I dragged myself back out to the DC area to find myself surrounded by firemen. Hundreds, if not a thousand of them. They must have had some huge convention for them because I met and saw so many different firehouses represented from all over the country. I tagged up with a group of them from New York in front of The White House. Great bunch of guys...laughed my ass off with them. I spent the entire day down there only to get back to the hotel and prayed to die.

Sunday came too quick and here I am back at home. A lot of fun...a lot of memories...saw some old friends...made a few new ones...and another Stones show under my belt. Yep...life is good. And it will get better in January.
10-07-02 07:56 AM
Maxlugar Have you heard that the victims relatives of the WTC actually protested that Pentagon memorial because it excluded them?

Oh yeah. They formed some stupid group and are now outraged that a memorial for the people killed in Washinton did not include them.

This after a year of almost non stop talk of the WTC attacks but very little remeberance of those poor souls lost down there.

The Grieving Industry has formed and if you don't do it right you will be in trouble.

What is wrong with this world?

Instead of worrying about memorials and who gets cried for the most, why are we not more focused on kicking ass all over the Middle East?

10-07-02 08:28 AM
nankerphelge Pam -- sorry we didn't hook up -- I was at Govinda just after you -- saw your name in the guestbook -- we got there about 1:45 I think. Anyhow, that traffic mess you mentioned fucked us up -- we got to the stadium right as the Strokes went on -- never made Doug's tailgate! Maybe next time!!
10-07-02 01:17 PM
Stonesdoug sorry you missed the pre-party Nankie. You missed TomL's special chicken and party favours, factory girl in all her glory, and sandrew rocking out on guitar doing both his Mick and Keith impressions at the same time!!!
10-07-02 02:30 PM
jb From what I have read, looks like D.C. was a great show with a pretty mediocre crowd...hopefully the next Stadium show will have a more appreciating audience.
[Edited by jb]
10-07-02 02:38 PM
sandrew Jimmy Fallon's got nothin' on me, Doug!