ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger grant gets students rocking Return to archive
10-06-02 11:48 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

Jagger says children should be encouraged to sing

Rock star Mick Jagger has donated �100,000 to his former school in the hope of fostering new musical talent.
The money was given to Dartford Grammar School, in Kent.

It will be spent on the Red Rooster project at the school's Mick Jagger Centre to encourage more children to start making music at an early age.

The donation comes two and a half years after the singer officially opened the centre, which he had already helped fund with a �500,000 grant.

Jagger played in the school's basketball team

Speaking from The Rolling Stones' US tour, Jagger said: "I believe we should encourage children to sing and play instruments from an early age.

"I was really impressed with the facilities and the staff when I first visited the centre and I hope that my contribution will help this great work continue and allow even more children to experience the thrill of making their own music.

"It is so important that they have somewhere like this where they can share their musical ideas and vision and be able to practise for as long as they like."

The project is named after the Rolling Stones' 1964 UK number one hit Little Red Rooster.

With Mick Jagger's act of kindness we will be able to change the lives of local children and adults

Head teacher Tony Smith

The money will help pay for a project director to develop music at pre-school music and primary school level and provide free local string and wind instrument projects.

The projects will be run with the co-operation of Kent Music School and Trinity College of Music.

The centre already has two state of the art auditoriums, a 16-track recording studio and several music practice rooms.

The school's head teacher Tony Smith said: "We are deeply involved in the arts within the community and with Mick Jagger's act of kindness we will be able to change the lives of local children and adults.

"This project will fill a vacuum, making serious music opportunities available at a very early stage of education and providing instruments free."
10-07-02 01:08 PM
Jaxx heres a few more articles on the subject

The Herald

Jagger donates �100,000 to school
Rolling Stone ensures that his legacy will not fade away
SHAN ROSS

MICK Jagger, the Rolling Stone lead singer who is remembered for his somewhat parsimonious approach to Jerry Hall's alimony claims during their fractious divorce, has dipped into his coffers to help pupils at his old grammar school to develop their musical talents.

Jagger, whose personal fortune is believed to run close to �150m and includes four luxury homes, has donated �100,000 to Dartford grammar school, which two years ago set up the Mick Jagger centre in honour of its most famous old boy.

Sir Michael, who received his knighthood earlier this year in the Queen's birthday honours list, seems to have taken the concept of noblesse oblige - the supposed obligation of nobility to be honourable and generous - to heart.

Tony Smith, the school's headteacher, announced news of the donation last night and said that with Jagger's "act of kindness" the school would be able to change the lives of local children and adults. "The project will fill a vacuum, making serious music opportunities available at a very early stage of education and providing instruments free."

Mr Smith said the money would be spent on setting up free string and wind instrument projects within the Red Rooster project at the Mick Jagger centre. It will also help pay for a project director to develop music for pre-school and primary age pupils. The projects will be run with the co-operation of Kent Music School and Trinity College of Music. Little Red Rooster was a number one UK hit for the Rolling Stones in 1964.

Jagger, whose early band used to practise in garages and bedrooms before heading for London and a succession of squats, said it was vital that there was no time limit to making music.

Really impressed

Speaking from the band's US tour for their 40th anniversary in the music business, Jagger said: "It is so important that children have somewhere like this where they can share and be able to practise as long as they like. I believe we should encourage children to sing and play instruments from an early age.

"I was really impressed with the facilities and the staff when I first visited the centre and I hope that my contribution will help this great work continue and allow even more children to experience the thrill of making their own music."

The donation comes two-and-a-half years after Jagger officially opened the centre and said there had to be a balance between "the things that feed your mind and the things that feed your imagination".

The centre has two state-of-the-art auditoriums, a 16-track recording studio and several music practice rooms. Rock and jazz music workshops are held during half-term breaks as well as choir and orchestral performances.

Keith Richards, the Rolling Stones guitarist, who recently won a battle to have a footpath rerouted near his English country home in West Wittering, Chichester, showed his commitment to country living by donating �20,000 to repair the local village hall's roof.

Another alma mater to benefit from the generosity of a wealthy ex-pupil was the Liverpool School of Performing Arts, which in its previous incarnation had educated Beatles Sir Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

Sir Paul donated more than �1m in 1998 to bail the cash-strapped "Fame School" he helped to launch in 1996 out of a �6m crisis.

George Michael, the singer, is known to have made a number of large, often private, donations to charities including the children's Christmas appeal of the former This Morning with Richard and Judy. In 1998, just one week after the singer was arrested in Los Angeles for "lewd behaviour", Michael donated �50,000 to Capital Radio's Help A London Child appeal.

Russell Crowe, the handsome but truculent Hollywood bad boy, has adopted a less prosaic approach to donations. He has pledged to donate his brain to medical science and has completed the paperwork required by Sydney University.

- Oct 7th

The Sun

Jagger gives school �100k

Generous ... Jagger

ROCKER Sir Mick Jagger has given �100,000 to his old school � so kids can become musicians.
The Rolling Stone�s gift will help pay for a music director at Dartford Grammar School, Kent � and also buy instruments for young children.

The school�s music centre is named after 59-year-old Mick, who is on tour in the US.

He said: �I want kids to experience the thrill of making music.�

10-07-02 01:17 PM
sirmoonie Here is the BBC link to the story. Note you can also link to the Sir Mick Jagger Centre from there.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2303997.stm