ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen... From Barcelona: The Smoking Stones!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cult Films (NSC) Return to archive
3rd October 2006 06:01 PM
MrPleasant Love them, hate them, but you saw them. At least you didn't walk out on them (like I did with The Sixth Sense), or felt asleep because of them (Pedro Almodóvar's Tacones Lejanos), but you secretly like them.

Sidney Lumet's The Wiz (The most expensive musical for the moment, starring a child molester who's not a republican. Wizard Of Oz meets Harlem with creepy results. Rated G for Gays.)

Hudson Hawk (A deliberately stupid film -like Troma's-, but funny if you don't pay a dime to see it. And James Coburn's final scene is a riot.)

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (A bomb; critics ripped it apart; if you don't like drugs, booze, Dylan, the Stones, there's no reason to watch this , but everybody here has watched it.)

1941 (John Belushi's first non funny movie. A catastrophe which shows that Spielberg does not have a funny bone in all of his body. But it's cathartic in a clumsy, violent, anything goes sort of way. And some old man cries when he watches Dumbo.)

Tommy (Everybody hates Ken Russell. He's silly, like the Flower Lady said to the Jerky Boys. But music-based silly - some of the best music ever.)

Smokey And The Bandit (Alfred Hithcocks's favorite film.)

Popeye (Gotta give Robert Altman his due. He doesn't give a fuck about Hollywood. The anti-Spielberg.)

Serial Mom (An easy one. Who doesn't like Annie?)

Wild at Heart (An instant classic. Wizard Of Oz meets the Twilight Zone. And, with another Wizard of Oz reference, I bid farewell to you to express thanks for your attendance at this theatre. This might seem old fashioned to some of you, but I'd like to join in on this song. It's the kind of a sentimental song that you get at the end of a movie. It's the kind of a song that people might sing to let you in the audience know that we really like you and care about you. We uh, understand how hard it is to laugh these days, with all the terrible problems in the world -i.e. Bush
[Edited by MrPleasant]
3rd October 2006 06:30 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Hudson Hawk (A deliberately stupid film -like Troma's-, but funny if you don't pay a dime to see it. And James Coburn's final scene is a riot.)

"You Eddie Munster looking motherfucker!"

quote:

Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (A bomb; critics ripped it apart; if you don't like drugs, booze, Dylan, the Stones, there's no reason to watch this , but everybody here as watched it.)

What critics ripped it?

There are a few people here who don't like that movie - you can guess who they are - and this is a litmus test - if you don't like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, you should NOT be posting on this site or ANY Rolling Stones associated board.
3rd October 2006 06:40 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
There are a few people here who don't like that movie - you can guess who they are - and this is a litmus test - if you don't like Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, you should NOT be posting on this site or ANY Rolling Stones associated board.

Roger Ebert didn't like it. (And twenty-something other people, at rottentomatoes.com.) But I don't care about professional critics.
3rd October 2006 06:45 PM
Dan I was fairly bored with the movie but the book is so totally burned into my mind that it was hard to get used to someone else's interpretation.
3rd October 2006 06:47 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

word

3rd October 2006 06:58 PM
MrPleasant Here are some of the greatest reviews ever, for unconventional movies.

http://members.aol.com/SHOCKCIN/archive.html

So far, I've seen the flabbergastingly Possession, Fear & Loathing (which the writer recommends), Head, Roger Corman's Frankenstein Unbound, Bye Bye Monkey, amongst others.
3rd October 2006 07:32 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
quote:
MrPleasant wrote: And some old man cries when he watches Dumbo.)

The old man was Robert Stack, who was playing Gen. 'Vinegar Joe' Stillwell.
3rd October 2006 07:34 PM
nankerphelge Bye Bye Monkey?

Sounds like a winner to me!
3rd October 2006 07:52 PM
Riffhard I personally thought Fear and Loathing was complete and utter shite. This from a guy that has read every one of HST books. The book is is so much better than the film that the shite movie actually hurts the books reputation. Depp in one of his rare duds as a leading man.

As for cult movies? Give me A Clockwork Orange every time.

Riffy
3rd October 2006 07:58 PM
telecaster Reefer Madness

Used Cars

Freaks

Buns Of Naverone

3rd October 2006 08:02 PM
Bloozehound I always watch the original texas chainsaw massacre this time of year and it still gives me the chilly willys
3rd October 2006 08:10 PM
Dan
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I always watch the original texas chainsaw massacre this time of year and it still gives me the chilly willys

My #1 all time favorite movie!

I am so NOT into movies anymore, I can't even think of anything to add to this thread.

Well, except maybe Star Wars! Almost as big as as the Cults of Christianity and Islam combined!
3rd October 2006 08:28 PM
GotToRollMe A few REAL cult movies:
El Topo
Putney Swope
Sweet Sweetback's Baaadaaass Song

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
3rd October 2006 09:10 PM
MrPleasant For the record, as a side note, I don't thing that there's such a thing as a BAD movie. An irredeemable movie, I mean. It's easy to hate Titanic (I prefer Showgirls, for obvious reasons), to trash Forrest Gump (I loved when it was released, but I hadn't discovered booze yet - i.e. I was dumb) or to throw shit at Tom Cruise. But there's always, even if it's accidental, a passable moment.

For years I thought that Frankenhooker was a true example of a shitty film, but I've got to admit that the lead female character played the whole thing with her tongue firmly planted on her cheek. Freddy Got Fingered? I've seen it twice. Roberto Benigni's Pinocchio? The photography and art production were excellent. Francis Ford Coppola's Jack? Well... some of the nature shots were... "professional".

There are, in general, "better films", but even the best ones aren't one hundred percent perfect.

Chainsaw is remarkable. El Topo instantly started a cult (John Lennon was one of the initiators). And Bye Bye Monkey isn't for everybody (I love it, sincerely). Some critic even considered Casablanca a cult film. But probably the whole "cult" thing, the FETISHISM, started with American Internacional Pictures, and what came after (Bogdanovich, Scorsese, Allen, Coppola, and so, with T.V. and the french "new wave" mixed in the pot). Those were terrific times for cinema.

Some of the films that I more or less randomly chose aren't exactly cult films, or "guilty pleasures" (Wild At Heart is great, IMO). They are simply films that I'm quite fond of, even though they aren't necessarily in the Top Ten of the world.
3rd October 2006 09:25 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I personally thought Fear and Loathing was complete and utter shite. This from a guy that has read every one of HST books. The book is is so much better than the film that the shite movie actually hurts the books reputation. Depp in one of his rare duds as a leading man.

As for cult movies? Give me A Clockwork Orange every time.

Riffy

See Litmus Test. Your locker has been cleaned, your stuff is in a bag by the back door.

What aspect was shite? Depp getting Thompson to the tee, del Toro doing the same on Samoa-man, trashed hotel rooms on acid, flashback snorting blow in men's room, whacked out scene with Ellen Barkin - the fear on her face, JJF flying down to Barstow.......that movie blows doors.
3rd October 2006 10:08 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

See Litmus Test. Your locker has been cleaned, your stuff is in a bag by the back door.

What aspect was shite? Depp getting Thompson to the tee, del Toro doing the same on Samoa-man, trashed hotel rooms on acid, flashback snorting blow in men's room, whacked out scene with Ellen Barkin - the fear on her face, JJF flying down to Barstow.......that movie blows doors.

I'm with you, Moonie. One of the reasons this movie rocks so hard is because it stays true to the book via narrative. But hey, different strokes for different folks...
3rd October 2006 10:21 PM
Riffhard I just found the book about a trillion times more humorous. That's all. The written word of-"We were sixty miles outside of Barstow when the drugs took effect..." is just much more funny than seeing that scene acted out. Same goes for the rest of the movie. Again,I stress,I am a major fan of Dr.Gonzo,but the movie left me wanting to read the book again and not bother with the movie based on the book. It was widely panned for a reason. To me that reason is that the written word did not translate as well on the screen.

Riffy
3rd October 2006 10:30 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I just found the book about a trillion times more humorous. That's all. The written word of-"We were sixty miles outside of Barstow when the drugs took effect..." is just much more funny than seeing that scene acted out. Same goes for the rest of the movie. Again,I stress,I am a major fan of Dr.Gonzo,but the movie left me wanting to read the book again and not bother with the movie based on the book. It was widely panned for a reason. To me that reason is that the written word did not translate as well on the screen.

Riffy

It made me want to read the book again too - which I did! I was introduced to the Good Doctor via "Hell's Angels" at the tender age of 12...bought it at a Garden State News...lol! I still have my first edition paperback of "Fear and Loathing," which is one of my most prized books. God, but that man could write.
4th October 2006 09:27 AM
TampabayStone Love Smokey and the Bandit.

Still cracks me up when that big black Sheriff steps out of his car and Sheriff Bufford does a double take and says. "Somehow you sounded a little taller on that there radio".
4th October 2006 09:42 AM
rasputin56 Toxic Avenger ruled.
4th October 2006 09:52 AM
glencar Isn't the concept of "cult films" a dead one at this point? If everyone's seen them & everyone's posting about them, they ain't cult.
4th October 2006 09:56 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
Isn't the concept of "cult films" a dead one at this point? If everyone's seen them & everyone's posting about them, they ain't cult.

My point exactly.
See: El Topo, Putney Swope, etal.
4th October 2006 09:59 AM
glencar And even those movies are on my movie channels on my satellite system...
4th October 2006 10:07 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
glencar wrote:
And even those movies are on my movie channels on my satellite system...

I'll bring the popcorn. I shall be over directly!

4th October 2006 10:08 AM
glencar LOL Okay! I even saw some flick called "Girl On The Motorcycle" featuring Marianne Faithfull & her fabulous tits. Terrible movie but great fun nevertheless!
4th October 2006 10:00 PM
Fiji Joe Blue Velvet
4th October 2006 11:17 PM
not bound to please
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
(Everybody hates Ken Russell.

I don't. He's a hoot.

4th October 2006 11:26 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
not bound to please wrote:

I don't. He's a hoot.

You know what I meant. That is: everybody tremendously dislikes him in nude beaches.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)