ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen... From Barcelona: The Smoking Stones!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: American Sports Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st October 2006 08:28 PM
Honky Tonk Man Here in the UK, football (soccer) rules supreme in terms of popularity. Our other major sports, rugby, cricket etc trail in comparison.

I’ve always wondered what sport is the most popular in the States. I’m under the impression that its pro football, but it seems to me as if baseball and basketball are both extremely popular too. Is anyone of these sports THAT much bigger than another, or is it all pretty close?
1st October 2006 08:36 PM
MrPleasant I like oil wrestling.

1st October 2006 08:38 PM
Poplar
I'd say:

1. Pro Football
2. (tie) College Basketball/Football
4. Pro Baseball
5. Pro Basketball
6. Politics
10. Hockey
15. Papering

1st October 2006 09:18 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Here in the UK, football (soccer) rules supreme in terms of popularity. Our other major sports, rugby, cricket etc trail in comparison.

I’ve always wondered what sport is the most popular in the States. I’m under the impression that its pro football, but it seems to me as if baseball and basketball are both extremely popular too. Is anyone of these sports THAT much bigger than another, or is it all pretty close?

Men watch pro football and pro basketball.
1st October 2006 09:27 PM
Paranoid_Android I dont think there's anything that compares to the fan frenzy that the Final Four creates...that's the College Basketball chapionship for those not here in the US...it starts out w/ the top 64 teams...a few wildcards...and gets weeded down to the SWEET SIXTEEN...that's when it gets INSANE!!!

You learn so much about some folks this time of year...(mid-March-April)

Also on a side note...soccer is VERY popular here in the USA fron junior high School thru college
(both womens & Mens)...then NOTHING!!m The professional soccer league here is barely a blip on the screen...even though we have a few great teams...most notably the DC United.

I havn't seen them (I live in DC) and the last pro game I went to was 1978 to see the NY Cosmos (when I lived in NY).
2nd October 2006 12:29 PM
texile pro football....
the fans, the players - everything is just more intense in football.
2nd October 2006 12:50 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

most notably the DC United.

I have heard of DC United. For the past couple of pre-seasons, Chelsea have travelled to the States and played them. I also think Manchester United have also travelled there to play them and other US teams. It is of course, all a money spinning exercise for our teams to boost awareness.

You should check them out. The American soccer fans seemed to have a lot of passion in this year's World Cup.
2nd October 2006 12:53 PM
Some Guy Rumour has it that the Atlanta Falcons are bringing sexy back.
2nd October 2006 01:13 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
texile wrote:
pro football....
the fans, the players - everything is just more intense in football.

I attribut e that to the fact that the season is so short (game schedule-wise)w/ about 23 games per team... in NFL, EVERY GAME COUNTS...so you have alot riding on every match...as oppsed to baseball w/ 160 plus games per season and the like in Basketball, hockey...etc
2nd October 2006 01:17 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

You should check them out. The American soccer fans seemed to have a lot of passion in this year's World Cup.

NYC and DC are alot of fun during World Cup time...you can't help but get caught up in it...When Ghana won the big game, I was on 18th Street NW (in DC) where there are alot of African restaurants including the Ghana Cafe...when the final whistle blew you would have thought there was chaos and anarchy in the streets...dancing, cheering...screaming......everyone was THRILLED for the rest of the day...
2nd October 2006 01:27 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I’ve always wondered what sport is the most popular in the States.

Bashing Frenchies
3rd October 2006 05:48 AM
lotsajizz Baseball is the National Pastime
3rd October 2006 08:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Bashing Frenchies

We picked that up from the English.
3rd October 2006 09:48 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

We picked that up from the English.

LOL..English are our best ennemies!!
except for R'N'R of course
3rd October 2006 09:50 AM
glencar Frog bashing never gets old but baseball is the national pasttime.
3rd October 2006 10:00 AM
GotToRollMe Baseball.
3rd October 2006 10:08 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Frog bashing never gets old but baseball is the national pasttime.

Despite that I will come in then States next year!!
my friends call me crazy but fuck them all
3rd October 2006 10:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
Despite that I will come in then States next year!!
my friends call me crazy but fuck them all

By all means come. French or not the Americans will treat you good. You'll love it and the Americans, especially southerners, are terrible hospitiable people....even New Yorkers and New England Yankees in their own way. In fact American chicks will fall for ANY accent........

3rd October 2006 12:11 PM
texile
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

I attribut e that to the fact that the season is so short (game schedule-wise)w/ about 23 games per team... in NFL, EVERY GAME COUNTS...so you have alot riding on every match...as oppsed to baseball w/ 160 plus games per season and the like in Basketball, hockey...etc

exactly....which is i can only watch the last two months of baseball season...
and while people see baseball as 'america's pastime' -
the game is dominated by these amazing south americans and the sport is equally popular in latin america...
football, on the other hand - is strictly american, maybe the only true american sport.
it's so representative of america - big, violent, agressive, fast, cocky players and fans......how more american can it be? i love it!
3rd October 2006 10:06 PM
quackenbush I prefer baseball,especially listening to it on the radio. Though some might say the game is to slow and takes too long, but it matches, I think, a kind of carefree attitude of summertime.

Football on the other hand, has a very short season and every game matters, and maybe this is the reason so many fans get so crazed about it. But I hate it. There's very little action for a sport that is supposed to be so hard charging. Most of the time, you sit around while some big decision is being made. There's the huddles, time outs and challenging of calls. And then there is the god-awful half time show. If you live in Philadelphia like I do, there is also one more thing you have to put up with: the chant. It goes like this: E-A-G-L-E-S! Eagles. You can hear this chant
anywhere and at anytime in Philadelphia.

\
4th October 2006 05:29 AM
Jumacfly
quote:

By all means come. French or not the Americans will treat you good. You'll love it and the Americans, especially southerners, are terrible hospitiable people....even New Yorkers and New England Yankees in their own way. In fact American chicks will fall for ANY accent........

Thanks TTM.
I'll be with Ms Mc Fly, we may get married in Vegas (old fantasm for foreigners)...Thanks for the tip anyway!!
4th October 2006 05:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
In fact American chicks will fall for ANY accent........

4th October 2006 10:06 AM
glencar
quote:

Except yours!
4th October 2006 04:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
I'll be with Ms Mc Fly, we may get married in Vegas.

Oh......by an Elvis?????

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
4th October 2006 06:48 PM
rolling who Football is the most popular sport, but baseball is the best.

Also, baseball is still No. 1 in several major outlets -- including Boston, New York and Los Angeles. It's close in Chicago. It's also biggest in smaller markets like St. Louis, Seattle and (maybe) San Diego.

Very much a Red State/Blue State thing.
5th October 2006 12:10 AM
glencar Honestly, I don't see any political parallels with sports. I'm guessing both sports have similar percentages of fans.
5th October 2006 04:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:

Oh......by an Elvis?????

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

of course!!
or by a Mick if it's possible!!
5th October 2006 06:47 AM
swampff what I was wondering about lately is if hooligans are an issue in american sports?

5th October 2006 08:12 AM
corgi37 You know, i am so sick of the U.S centric crap that goes on here. The fucking "world" series. I mean, gimme a break. How many nations are in this "World series"?????

U.S. football, gridiron, crap-ola, boring shit - call it what you like - IT SUX! And, 905 of us dont give a rats ass if the Boston Asslickers play the Florida Hymen stealers. Really, we dont! And, come on, what sort of a game is it when these "manly men" wear more armour than fucking Sir Lancelot! And, tell me, its not even a team. Its a fucking invasion. Play for 3 minutes, and like, 20 guys come off, and 20 guys come on! And, the "punter". How long does this jerk play for? 20 seconds a game!! I know, cause Aussies are gonna be playing next year. Namely, Ben Graham.

Soccer! Oh fuck, the game for thelidimide babies (did i spell that right?). Cant touch the ball, but hit it with ya head. Yeah. No worries. No wonder Europe is fucked.

No, sorry. Only Aussie Rules truly cuts the mustard. No fucking time outs. No changing of entire back line for one play. No "no contact". No red cards. No fucking organ music. No field of dreams. No Kevin Costner.

Just a bunch of blokes running full tilt at each other. Jumping into each other. And then, most marvellous of all, showering with each other.

I dont care if you think i am wrong, but i know, and ya'll secretly do to, know that Aussie Rules is the best spectator sport.

P.S. Basketball and golf are not sports!
5th October 2006 12:18 PM
lotsajizz ever play hockey, mate?

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)