ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Rogers Center, Toronto, ON--26th September 2005
© and thanks to John Wood!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger's Greatest Misses - "The Times" interview Return to archive
28th September 2007 02:54 PM
Gazza Mick Jagger's greatest misses

How can you release a ‘best of’ solo album when you haven’t really had a solo career, our correspondent asks Mick Jagger. The songs are good, he says

Alan Franks

No, you can’t always get what you want. If Mick Jagger had his way, as he generally does, he would have achieved the recognition as a soloist that he has enjoyed for so long as the frontman of the world’s most durable rock’n’roll band. Instead, as he readily admits, he finds himself upstaged by the vastness of the Rolling Stones’ reputation.

This is not entirely fair, even though he is hardly the only lead vocalist to experience a slackening of public interest when striking out as a freelance. There are tracks on his new Best Of album that are just as powerful as his work with the Stones, and all the more fresh for being achieved without his usual collaborators. But it is not the Stones, and therefore not the great global brand that bears his image.

In the flesh, what there is of it, Jagger remains an extraordinary presence, with the tiny-waisted figure of a boy a quarter of his 64 years, a face less lined than the photographs suggest. On the question of how he keeps himself in shape, he insists that he does “a minimum amount of training for the tour, and then a minimum amount of training during it. I am disciplined in what I eat, but I’m not a maniac. My father [Joe, who died last year at the age of 93] was a theoretical teacher of physical education so I was brought up with this attitude that your body has to do a lot of things and you have to look after it. Some of that was bound to stick, but I have to say that it’s a matter of being lucky genetically. Being built this way is an inheritance.”

All this is delivered in the same classless London drawl of his remote youth. And conducted with the brisk, no-nonsense manner of a CEO with a fortune of £200 million and all sorts of projects on the go. Which, in a sense, is precisely what he is. It is he who draws a corporate analogy when describing the near-death period of the Stones two decades ago. “It is like any office, if you like, or like always being on a committee. If you are together for a long time, it is inevitable that you go through ups and downs, and there are many times when you can break up."

This is clearly not one of the dark periods. The Stones have just completed a two-year tour, culminating in a concert at the O2 Stadium in London at the end of August. “Things have gone well,” he says, adding that the eternal question of how long they will keep going is “a function of many things. If you still enjoy what you are doing, and the audiences still enjoy coming, then it’s a two-way street. Beyond that, ‘how long’ is a crystal-ball question.” The band will tour again, he says, even though no dates have yet been arranged.

From a man so aware of the impact of his career, it is strange to hear him speak in rather small and modest terms about his work away from Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood. He even underestimates the number of solo albums he has released, putting it at three. There have in fact been four of them, the first being She’s the Bossin 1985, and the most recent Goddess in the Doorway – famously mocked by Richards as Dogs*** in the Doorway – in 2001. He has toured as a solo artist, but just the once, when he played in Australia and Japan. That was in 1987, when the Stones were barely speaking to each other.

“It’s true, it’s true,” he says about the difficulties of establishing an identity away from such a massive band. “But the thing is, you don’t let it influence what you do. It’s not an irony, it’s a fact of life. And it’s really not something you are very interested in when you are making music. It’s of no interest to you whether someone sees you as a singer with a band. You are writing songs and making records because that is what you want to do, and you are not going to be influenced by his or her perception of you.”

If the most famous of his Stones-free recordings on this retrospective album is the 1985 Dancing in the Street with David Bowie – “That was great, it was Live Aid. Spirit of collaboration . . . and fighting over who had best jacket” – then one of the most surprising is the hitherto unreleased Too Many Cooks, which was produced by John Lennon in Los Angeles in 1973 (the masters of which were recently found under the bed of Lennon’s ex-girlfriend May Pang). In the winter of that year the two spent time together on the West Coast, and the owner of a studio called the Record Plant invited them to come and jam on Sunday afternoons. Cream bassist Jack Bruce also showed up, as did Harry Nilsson. It was done in one take, Jagger recalls, “and then we moved on”.

As he still does, despite looking like such a moored figure in British popular culture. Hard to believe it is 40 years since William Rees-Mogg, then the Editor of this newspaper, wrote his famous editorial, “Who Breaks a Butterfly Upon a Wheel?”, criticising as too harsh the penalties handed down to Jagger and Richards (imprisonment with hard labour, overturned on appeal) for possession of drugs.

Today, when this major player in social history reflects on his progress from parent-shocker to Sir Mick, he finds it is “just a very English sort of trajectory, the kind you can see, for example, in probably a lot of politicians in government who started out as rebels”.

The moving-on is expressed not just in the musicians’ nomadic state that he clearly loves, but in his relatively new passion for film production. There was the wartime drama Enigma six years ago, with a script by his friend Tom Stoppard. Now there is the almost complete film of the Stones’ recent world tour, directed by Martin Scorsese. He is also producing a remake of the 1939 proto-feminist classic The Women, originally directed by George Cukor, which follows the lives of a group of Manhattan women.

And there are the women in his own life – the four mothers of his seven children. He still has a flat in Richmond next door to his second ex-wife Jerry Hall, with whom he is said to have a cordial relationship. “I try to,” he says. But it can’t be easy, can it. If band relations are hard, then what price exes? “Not easy for them,” he says with a big, gusty laugh. “No, we’ve got lots to share, so why shouldn’t you get on?”

And there is his present partner, the 6ft 4in fashion designer L’Wren Scott. Present, but also about to become permanent, according to marriage-mongering rumours. “I think we’ll finish on that note,” says the singer, and does so.

The Very Best of Mick Jagger is released on Monday by Atlantic/Rhino

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article2544744.ece

[Edited by Gazza]
28th September 2007 02:59 PM
SweetVirginia Gazza, thank you for putting in bold letters the only part of the article that we wanted to read.

This was most helpful.

28th September 2007 03:07 PM
charlotte thanks gaazzaa...have you seen the Bruce clips from this morning?

oh back on subject...ohhh what was the subject...oh yeah Mick's solo career
28th September 2007 03:10 PM
mrhipfl I actually enjoyed the whole thing. Thanks, G.
28th September 2007 03:30 PM
gimmekeef Great read..especially the bold font...Mick you promise to come back to Atlanta..I'll buy 10 copies of your best of bs
28th September 2007 03:51 PM
glencar "his remote youth..." Oh, thy sting!
28th September 2007 04:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
charlotte wrote:
thanks gaazzaa...have you seen the Bruce clips from this morning?

No..was out golfing all afternoon..surprised they're not on Dime or Jungleland yet
29th September 2007 12:27 PM
steel driving hammer Yeah but Mick still rules though right?
29th September 2007 01:14 PM
silvertrainlikesmick
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Yeah but Mick still rules though right?

LOL! I think so
29th September 2007 07:08 PM
Factory Girl Thanks, G. I actually like a lot of Mick's solo stuff.

"Evening Gown" is a beauty. L"Wren Scott is not.

29th September 2007 11:07 PM
Bitch Funny MICK didn't want to talk about marriage! And Gazza is right as usual, more touring but no dates set. Thanks G!
30th September 2007 08:43 AM
glencar This week's Entertainment Weekly also takes a slam at Mick's "Greatest Hits" misnomer.
30th September 2007 01:38 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Bitch wrote:
Funny MICK didn't want to talk about marriage! And Gazza is right as usual, more touring but no dates set. Thanks G!

not a full tour though
30th September 2007 02:16 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Bitch wrote:
And Gazza is right as usual,

Yes, Gazza is more right than Rush Limbaugh maybe, and thats alot!
30th September 2007 06:23 PM
glencar
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

not a full tour though

I just hope they don't play MSG the same week I am going to France.
1st October 2007 09:59 AM
justinkurian There's a video on the CNN website:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2007/09/28/mineo.mick.jagger.cnn
1st October 2007 10:17 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
There's a video on the CNN website:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2007/09/28/mineo.mick.jagger.cnn

That was a good one, thanks.
1st October 2007 10:43 AM
gotdablouse thanks, had to search it, this might help http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2007/09/28/mineo.mick.jagger.cnn?iref=videosearch
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)