ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Rogers Center, Toronto, ON--26th September 2005
© and thanks to John Wood!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: R&R HOF Nominations Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th September 2007 02:08 PM
mojoman Rock And Roll HOF
Nominations Are In
Updated 09:33 PDT Fri, Sep 28 2007
(Associated Press) Here's something Madonna can really celebrate: a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Madge joins heartland rocker John Mellencamp, the puckish rappers Beastie Boys and premier dance acts Donna Summer and Chic among the nine nominees for the hall. The five leading vote-getters will be inducted in the annual ceremony March 10, 2008 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.
The other nominees are rap pioneer Afrika Bambaataa, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, the original British Invasion combo The Dave Clark Five and surf rock instrumentalists The Ventures.
The nominations illustrate how far the Hall of Fame has stretched its definition of rock 'n' roll to incorporate a variety of musical styles.
It's certainly the case with Madonna, the Detroit-area native who burst out of New York dance clubs in the early 1980s with "Holiday" and soon became a pop culture icon. She scored 17 Top Ten hits in the 1980s alone and is due to put out an album next year, working with the likes of Timbaland and Justin Timberlake.
The Beastie Boys molded punk rock and rap into the goofy hit "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right to Party." They became critical favorites and are still together, releasing an instrumental album this year.
Indiana's own Mellencamp can fill a barrel with rock hits like "Hurts So Good," "Pink Houses" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA." Like Chic and the Dave Clark Five, he's been nominated before without getting into the hall.
Some 500 musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the inductions.
28th September 2007 02:14 PM
mrhipfl lame

whole thing's lame
28th September 2007 02:32 PM
ShaneJazz Still no Kiss in there. hahahaha I love it
28th September 2007 02:52 PM
robpop Where the fuck is Huey Lewis and the News? Why are they not on that list. Bullshit.
28th September 2007 03:28 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
lame

whole thing's lame

word.

its been rapidly deteriorating but THIS is more than reason enough to call the whole thing off

^ the only HOF this belongs in is The Ass Clown Hall of Fame

[Edited by Saint Sway]
28th September 2007 03:31 PM
Honky Tonk Man They should've put a stop to this farce of an event after a few years when all the classics and worthy had been inducted.
28th September 2007 03:37 PM
glencar Their biggest problem is inducting 5 acts every year. This list shows that 2 at most would work better. I have less of a problem with Madonna in there than the Beastie Boys.
28th September 2007 03:46 PM
Throwaway Yep...gonna be a while before any worthy candidates are eligible. Lets see bands starting in 1982+...once a few hair metal bands start getting inducted people will realize the joke its become.
28th September 2007 03:58 PM
Honky Tonk Man Well there have been great bands since the 80's, but they should halt the event and come back in a decade to see whats about and who is worthy then.
28th September 2007 04:03 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Throwaway wrote:

...once a few hair metal bands start getting inducted people will realize the joke its become.

true dat.
28th September 2007 04:19 PM
glencar DLR looks better today!
28th September 2007 04:54 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
DLR looks better today!

he's morphed into Egon!
28th September 2007 05:07 PM
72Tele C'mon no Lynyrd Skynyrd? That alone makes the entire thing a farce. Untill the very second that gas gauge hit E they were a GREAT band. Oh and by the way they also played Rock and Roll.
28th September 2007 05:10 PM
pdog When they induct Black Flag or any of the early 80's US punk/hardcore bands, I may take this serious.
If Madonna and The Beastie Boys are getting in, why shouldn't bands that changed the face of american music?
Then again, since the Sex pistols told them to fuck off, I'm sure they're going to stay away from punk rockers and focus more on music where egos are abundant...

I'm not even sure who is in, but putting in The Clash and Ramones is a no brainer... So, where's The NY Dolls, MC5, Stooges? Are they even considered?
Who doesn't like The Stooges?
28th September 2007 05:13 PM
72Tele Whoops they are in. Well its still a farce or at best a silly premise.
28th September 2007 05:15 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
pdog wrote:
I'm not even sure who is in, but putting in The Clash and Ramones is a no brainer... So, where's The NY Dolls, MC5, Stooges? Are they even considered?
Who doesn't like The Stooges?

its like the old Groucho Marx saying... "I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."

the bulk of the bands I listen to arent in the HOF and never will be. I guess I listen to maybe 1/5 of the bands that are currently inducted
28th September 2007 05:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Smiths, Stones Roses... These bands were huge here in the UK and there are few new British guitar bands on the scene that are not, in some way, influenced by them. I think Oasis could be candidates in a few years.

Then again, is this just about America? Or, am I just adding to the long list of bands/artists who imo, are not worthy of being inducted?
28th September 2007 05:33 PM
glencar It's bands that made an impact in the USA. Osasis might get in but prolly not.
28th September 2007 05:36 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's bands that made an impact in the USA. Osasis might get in but prolly not.

How many Americans know who Afrika Bambaataa is?
28th September 2007 05:41 PM
ShaneJazz Afrika Bambaataa ? I thought that was a Peter Gabriel live album... oh boy....A few years from now Mick will be eligible as a solo artist. I can see it now, everyone jamming to Lets Work, with Paul Schaefer leading the backing band.
28th September 2007 05:42 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
pdog wrote:

How many Americans know who Afrika Bambaataa is?

No, pdog, this is a very American thing. The Beatles, Stones and so on may of being inducted because, although British, they meant a lot in America. Acts that mean jack over here have been inducted, but bands considered legendary over here that don't mean anything in America, do not get considered.

The beer is working!
28th September 2007 05:49 PM
glencar Afrika Bombaata was an early rap guy. I have lil idea of what songs he actually did but I do recognize the name. It's prolly more for the sake of diversity that he's even mentioned. Stones Roses would be such a better choice.
28th September 2007 05:52 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Stones Roses would be such a better choice.

Exactly. Wonderful band. Such a shame they blew up after two albums.

Ian Brown is still going strong, but his solo work doesn't grab me. I don't the way his voice has matured. Very nasally.
28th September 2007 05:57 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
Afrika Bombaata was an early rap guy. I have lil idea of what songs he actually did but I do recognize the name. It's prolly more for the sake of diversity that he's even mentioned. Stones Roses would be such a better choice.

I have the seven inch done w/Lydon to World Destruction... that was about the only thing I've known him to do.
28th September 2007 06:09 PM
robpop Cleveland sure is not Cooperstown.
28th September 2007 06:09 PM
pdog
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

No, pdog, this is a very American thing. The Beatles, Stones and so on may of being inducted because, although British, they meant a lot in America. Acts that mean jack over here have been inducted, but bands considered legendary over here that don't mean anything in America, do not get considered.

The beer is working!

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on... I totally agree with your statement... I'm just saying, that alot of bands, won't ever be considered, like the early 80's bands that paved the way for the 90's explosion of punk and the Seattle bands... not to mention all of G n' R's influences... My point is this. If The Misfits never existed, bands like Metallica and GnR wouldn't have, I can guarentee that this lame HOF, will never acknowledge them, but the big selling Metallica and GnR will be in very soon...
IMO bands like Bauhaus, Killing Joke, Motorhead and a list of others should be in, but that's b/c I actually listen to the music I hear...
28th September 2007 06:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing on...

Not sure either after reading your post. We both basically agree with each other I think. I think are tastes in music are slightly different though!
28th September 2007 06:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Not sure either after reading your post. We both basically agree with each other I think. I think are tastes in music are slightly different though!

I'm guessing you're a fan of what we call Brit-pop to some extent... and I'm sure you figured I like alot of punk rock, but I definitely stray from it, I like what I like... I wasn't born with a green mohawk and my first record wasn't a punk album... I like Buzzcocks alot, and have friends who disregard them b/c Orgasm Addict is about gay stuff... you know, there's always something... ya know? I like some Oasis and def. dug some Stone Roses... One of my punk as fuck friends is the one who gave crap about my Orgasm Addict shirt, yet also told me about how much they liked Oasis... The lesson is, it's better to be open minded, then decide what you like.
28th September 2007 06:32 PM
Dan I like the Dave Clark 5 but the only nominee I actually listen to is the Beastie Boys. When Nirvana gets inducted, wonder if Dale Crover will be invited in? He is like one of the top 3 greatest drummers I have ever seen.
28th September 2007 06:51 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
pdog wrote:

I'm guessing you're a fan of what we call Brit-pop to some extent... and I'm sure you figured I like alot of punk rock, but I definitely stray from it, I like what I like... I wasn't born with a green mohawk and my first record wasn't a punk album... I like Buzzcocks alot, and have friends who disregard them b/c Orgasm Addict is about gay stuff... you know, there's always something... ya know? I like some Oasis and def. dug some Stone Roses... One of my punk as fuck friends is the one who gave crap about my Orgasm Addict shirt, yet also told me about how much they liked Oasis... The lesson is, it's better to be open minded, then decide what you like.

Yeah, I like Britpop (we call it that too!). I understand the importance of bands like the Buzzcocks. Ever Fallen In Love is an absolute classic. I also understand that you were not born with a green Mohawk.

Britpop, punk, whatever, there is some great stuff in any genre... as long as there are guitars
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)