ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Sue the good one... from Seattle
© 2005 Kevin Mazur with thanks to Sue!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Top 10 Most Overrated Albums (NSC!!!) Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 4th, 2005 03:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels 'Nevermind' Voted Most Overrated Album
Don't believe the hype...

by Daniel Melia on 10/4/2005

Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ has been voted as the most overrated album of all time by listeners of BBC 6 Music.

The results were announced on by presenter Andrew Collins, a Nirvana fan, who branded everone who voted for the Seattle bands sophomore album as “mad”.

The record beat Coldplay’s ‘X&Y’ into second place, with The Libertines self titled debut in third. Listeners were given a chance to submit their nominations and then asked to vote on a shortlist of ten.

Ric Blaxall of 6 Music commented on the poll: "These results may upset Nirvana's legion of loyal fans But it goes without saying that one person's overrated album will be another's film favourite."

He added: “This poll has given our listeners the opportunity to tell us what they really think."

The full top ten is:
Nirvana – Nevermind
Coldplay – X&Y
The Libertines – The Libertines
Oasis – Definitely Maybe
U2 – The Joshua Tree
Radiohead – OK Computer
The Beatles – Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

October 4th, 2005 03:10 PM
pdog Pink Floyd The Wall
October 4th, 2005 03:15 PM
Trey Krimsin I agree with "Nevermind" being an overrated album. "In Utero" is a much better record.
October 4th, 2005 03:19 PM
Gimme Shelter Dr. Dre's "The Cronic"
October 4th, 2005 03:35 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Trey Krimsin wrote:
I agree with "Nevermind" being an overrated album. "In Utero" is a much better record.

THANK YOU! I have been saying the same thing for years!
October 4th, 2005 03:41 PM
Madafaka Nevermind made a change into the music, IMO.
People started to listen another kind of music after that album...
October 4th, 2005 03:44 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Nevermind made a change into the music, IMO.

absolutely correct!

WHile I dont think it is Nirvana's best effort, it did finally kill Hair Metal.

At what release did the general music scene shift towards this shitty Rap/Hip Hop "manufactured stars" era?
October 4th, 2005 03:49 PM
the good Anyone who thinks Nevermind is overrated needs to have their head examined. It is heads and shoulders above anything else that came out of the 90's. And Joshua Tree is overrrated? You must be kidding me. One of the top 5 albums of the 1980's.
October 4th, 2005 03:52 PM
Madafaka
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
absolutely correct!

WHile I dont think it is Nirvana's best effort, it did finally kill Hair Metal.

We're agree! I enjoy In Utero more than Nevermind, but I think Nevermind was an important step before to reach In Utero. In Utero in those years could have been misunderstood.

quote:
voodoopug wrote:
At what release did the general music scene shift towards this shitty Rap/Hip Hop "manufactured stars" era?

I have no idea. What do you think?
October 4th, 2005 03:53 PM
pdog Bleach is the best album by Nirvana... The End! No argument, no need to start jerking me off. If you don't own it, then go buy it!

October 4th, 2005 03:57 PM
Madafaka "About a Girl" is a good tune...
October 4th, 2005 04:01 PM
Poplar
No way should Nevemind be on that list. That album kicks ass, and i'm no Nirvana fan.

ps - Courtney Love had his ass killed.

October 4th, 2005 04:33 PM
egon thriller should be number 1
October 4th, 2005 04:46 PM
72Tele No way should should Nevermind be on that list. It changed everything about music at the time. It came right at the perfect time and it rocked harder then Heavy Metal which basically ruled the day at that time. The importance of the context of the record can't be overstated.

Alanis Morsette's big record or Thriller to me are overrated. Bigger Bang is way overrated. But it won't be in a year I'll tell you that.
October 4th, 2005 05:15 PM
Joey

Paul McCartney's : " Back to the Egg "

October 4th, 2005 06:59 PM
texile in utero is like emily dickinson with a guitar...nevermind was more influential but not as dark or eccentric - and overrated.
October 4th, 2005 07:04 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

while not conceding that all Rap/hip Hop is necessarily shitty and disputing that Rap/hip hop is all about "manufactured stars" (while i admit that some of the letter day hip hop bands do come within that description) - in my estimation Coolio's "Gangsters Paradise" (which i personally like very much) was the track that pushed rap/hip hop over the edge and into the mainstream
October 4th, 2005 07:06 PM
doo doo doo Dude I'm with Pdog. "Bleach" is the shit.
October 4th, 2005 07:21 PM
stewed & Keefed Any Beatles album.
October 4th, 2005 07:24 PM
pavlovs dog THE TEN MOST OVERRATED ALBUMS:

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles
Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys
Revolver, The Beatles
Rubber Soul, The Beatles
What's Going On, Marvin Gaye
The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles
Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground
Abbey Road, The Beatles
Nevermind, Nirvana
Thriller, Michael Jackson

THE TEN MOST UNDERRATED ALBUMS:

Exile On Main Street
Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Beggar's Banquet
Goat's Head Soup
It's Only Rock & Roll
Some Girls
Black n' Blue
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
October 4th, 2005 07:28 PM
Soldatti Nevermind is a great album, but very overrated.
October 4th, 2005 07:42 PM
scratched Nevermind by Nirvana should not be on that list. No way. I remember getting into it just after it was released - without any preconceived notions of top this or top that. The album took a while to grow on me, just the way any good Stones album has, but it is one of those special albums where very track jumps out at you when you least expect it. Every track, at one point or another, seems like one of the best things you have EVER heard. Nothing seems like filler. To be honest, it is not something I would put on these days. Since I heard the Stones a few years later my tastes seemed to get a little different but I still hold a candle to this album.

I agree with the inclusion of the second Libertines album on this list. This really isn't a very good album as a whole. 'Can't Stand Me Now', 'Music When The Lights Go Out', 'The Ha Ha Wall' and 'What Katie Did' are really strong tunes, but the rest don't meet the mark. In fact some of the songs are shit. The first album is much stronger but I wouldn't say that was even near being a classic.

Definitely Maybe is near to being a classic, so I don't agree to that being on the overated list at all. 'Live Forever' (classic), 'Supersonic', 'Rock 'n Roll Star', 'Slide Away' (what a song!), 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' are all mind blowing. The rest of the songs on this album are all quite good too. 'Digsy's Dinner' is pretty good for a novelty tune, 'Shakermaker' is an OK 12 bar blues and 'Married With Children' is an OK little ditty to end the album with. Nothin more nothing less.
October 4th, 2005 11:00 PM
sammy davis jr. OK Computer is one of the best albums of the past 20 years. Sonically, lyrically and musically.
October 5th, 2005 12:20 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
'Nevermind' Voted Most Overrated Album
Don't believe the hype...

by Daniel Melia on 10/4/2005

Nirvana’s ‘Nevermind’ has been voted as the most overrated album of all time by listeners of BBC 6 Music.

The results were announced on by presenter Andrew Collins, a Nirvana fan, who branded everone who voted for the Seattle bands sophomore album as “mad”.

The record beat Coldplay’s ‘X&Y’ into second place, with The Libertines self titled debut in third. Listeners were given a chance to submit their nominations and then asked to vote on a shortlist of ten.

Ric Blaxall of 6 Music commented on the poll: "These results may upset Nirvana's legion of loyal fans But it goes without saying that one person's overrated album will be another's film favourite."

He added: “This poll has given our listeners the opportunity to tell us what they really think."

The full top ten is:
Nirvana – Nevermind
Coldplay – X&Y
The Libertines – The Libertines
Oasis – Definitely Maybe
U2 – The Joshua Tree
Radiohead – OK Computer
The Beatles – Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
Beach Boys – Pet Sounds
Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollocks
The Smiths – The Queen Is Dead

You nailed it on Sgt. Pepper. Not only is this NOT the greatest album ever, but it's not even the best Beatles album. In fact, it's not even in the top 5 beatles albums. The album sucks, actually. A few good songs of course, but way too much filler.
October 5th, 2005 02:21 AM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

Paul McCartney's : " Back to the Egg "

I've never even heard of it!
October 5th, 2005 11:10 AM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

I've never even heard of it!

You are a very lucky man pdoggy !
October 5th, 2005 11:17 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
Nevermind made a change into the music, IMO.

100% agree..the record of a generation..
agree with oasis, coldplay, the libertines...I don't like these bands.
October 5th, 2005 11:18 AM
Jumacfly oh and radiohead...what a nightmare!!
October 5th, 2005 04:05 PM
Honky Tonk Man Right, now for my opinion!

First things first. ALL THREE Coldplay albums are overrated. In fact, they’re all rubbish.

As for a few of the other records, I wasn’t aware that they were that highly rated anyway.

In all honesty, I wasn’t aware that The Libertines second album was held in such high esteem. It got great review upon release, but with the exception of the odd Can’t Stand Me Now on the radio, you don’t exactly hear a lot about it. The same goes for The Beatles Sgt Pepper album. It’s a notorious record for sure, but it rarely makes top ten lists here in the UK. I suppose it’s genuinely considered to be a great album, but I didn’t think it was rated THAT highly. The other record I put in this bracket is U2’s, The Joshua Tree. Yeah, It’s a famous record, but I’ve never read a great deal about it.

The albums in the list by Nirvana, Radiohead, The Beach Boys, The Beach Boys, The Sex Pistols and The Smiths are all fantastic records, but I agree with them being in the list. They are all somewhat overrated.

Definitely Maybe? Are they having a laugh? That album is UNDERRATED! Well, no, maybe not. It’s excellent and fully deserves all the praise it receives. It fucking woke up British music!
October 5th, 2005 04:11 PM
Jair The first Sex Pistols
The first Ramones
Made in Europe - Deep Purple
Hotel California - Eagles
Any AC/DC, Doors or Black Sabbat
The Black Album - Prince
The white Album - Beatles

Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)