ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Sue the good one... from Seattle
© 2005 Kevin Mazur with thanks to Sue!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŃOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: ry cooder Return to archive
October 4th, 2005 01:25 PM
headshrinker does anyone know any ry cooder songs where you can actually here riffs like the ones keith supposedly stole in in honky tonk women and brown sugar?

thanx
October 4th, 2005 01:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl He was a session musician before his first S/T solo album released in 1970 I have his first three solo albums and can't find similar riffs. HTW was released in 1969 so if Keith stole something from Ry was from personal contact, sessions for others but not from his albums.

Nowaday he's doing universal music, including mambo, cumbia, and Cuban music
October 4th, 2005 01:41 PM
headshrinker thanx

do u know any tracks he did session work on before his solo career that have the riffs?
October 4th, 2005 01:49 PM
Saint Sway Memo From Turner
October 4th, 2005 11:13 PM
Bloozehound most of Rys solo albums consisted of him updating forgotten folk & blues tunes, pretty much akin to what he's done with cuban music and all that buena vista social club brewhaha, not real riff-rockish territory, but his movie soundtrack work is where you'll find him slashing out some beefy electric riffwork

off the top of my head I recall johnnny handsome, southern comfort and the trespass soundtracks were all real riff rock-ish, the other flicks he scored are mostly westerns which required more traditional sounds

I have that 2 disc anthology of his soundtrack works Ry Cooder: Music, its a great compilation and a good place to start

October 4th, 2005 11:18 PM
Riffhard I think Ry's main bitch was the fact that he claimed that he taught Keith the five string open G blues tuning,and that Keith never gave him the credit for it. Lord knows that Keith changed his whole sound with that tuning,but for Ry to claim credit for that is a bit(how to say it?),I guess sour grapes comes to mind.

Riffhard
October 4th, 2005 11:58 PM
gypsy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I think Ry's main bitch was the fact that he claimed that he taught Keith the five string open G blues tuning,and that Keith never gave him the credit for it. Lord knows that Keith changed his whole sound with that tuning,but for Ry to claim credit for that is a bit(how to say it?),I guess sour grapes comes to mind.

Riffhard

I don't blame Ry for being mad. He deserved credit - he's an awesome guitarist. I think his guitar solo on "Sister Morphine" absolutely MAKES that song. Did he get credit for that?
BTW, I looked up Ry's photo, and he was/is one handsome man.
October 5th, 2005 12:10 AM
sirmoonie Great musician, the Stones learned a lot from Ry Cooder and didn't credit him several times.

Strangely, some of his best music can be found on the Crossroads soundtrack - an 80s movie with Ralph Toewalker Macchio pretending to be black. The movie is contrived, but the music that Cooder plays is brilliant.
October 5th, 2005 12:32 AM
JumpinJackFlash Cossroads, yeah, and there was a movie called the Long Riders, a story about thye James bGang in the old days. He brought out that old 1800's country sound. Alot of slide, and "good Ole Rebel" music. It's true stuff, sounds great. You ever hear the music on "Little Big Man", that's John Hammond, he's one of the greats, found Bob Dylan.
[Edited by JumpinJackFlash]
October 5th, 2005 02:12 AM
pdog Anyone heard Chávez Ravine, Ry's recent release?
Any comments on it?
October 5th, 2005 03:04 AM
Bloozehound yup, Crossroads, thats another one

never saw that film, it looks like total crap, but I've heard some of Rys tunes from it, and they're really good
October 5th, 2005 07:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
JumpinJackFlash wrote:
You ever hear the music on "Little Big Man", that's John Hammond, he's one of the greats, found Bob Dylan.

wouldnt that be John Hammond Jr. (ie, the son of the great talent scout - who also first signed Springsteen, Billie Holiday and (I think) Count Basie)

Count me in as another big admirer of Ry Cooder. Definitely one of my favourite musicians. Wish he'd make 'regular' records again, though. For pretty much all of the last 20-25 years he's devoted his time to soundtracks and explorations into world music - something he's done well and better than almost anyone, but he released some terrific albums throughout the 70s and into the early 80's which I'd love to hear him do again. I dont think he's done one like that since "Get Rhythm" which came out about 1988 and that was a gem of an record.
October 5th, 2005 08:10 AM
stonesmik
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
does anyone know any ry cooder songs where you can actually here riffs like the ones keith supposedly stole in in honky tonk women and brown sugar?

There is one hard rocking instrumental track called "Get away" on the soundtrack for the 1970 movie "Performance" - when I first heard that one many years ago I thought (I hoped) it was the Rolling Stones. In fact it is hard rocking Ry Cooder. As far as I know the music for "Performance" was written around 1968/69 - the same time Keith developed his signature sound using the 5-stringed-Open G tuning. It seems Ry Cooder is full of tunings and sounds - Keith just picked up one of them and mad it his trademark.

I think the difference between them is that Ry KNOWS about music while Keith rather FEELS it. So while Ry was able to create many many different sounds over the years Keith (the bohemian that he is) has just stayed with what fitted him best. Maybe his arthritis dates back to those days so it's only reasonable he adapted that 5-string-thing.
October 5th, 2005 12:38 PM
rocky hi listen to taj mahal's 1 st album 1968...
rocy
October 5th, 2005 07:53 PM
kath ry cooder is a brilliant musician. "chicken skin music" is a great album!!

yeah, too bad he didn't stick around. sister morphine would never have been the classic it is if not for ry cooder's work.
October 6th, 2005 07:49 AM
Ramrod A good place to start with Ry's late 60's riffing style is on the album 'Jamming with Edward', recorded approximately March 1969 during the 'Let it Bleed' sessions. The line up is Jagger, Wyman, Watts, Nicky Hopkins and Ry and it's released on the Stones own label. You can hear Ry's rhythm style on the opening cut 'Boudiour Stomp'. Not that big a leap from there to the 'Honky Tonk Women' riff and sound. According to Cooder he jammed and recorded with the Stones for about 2 weeks, playing the sessions which yielded 'Sister Morphine' and 'love in Vain' and also playing along with lots of their other stuff. He said that they got everything he knew at that time down onto tape.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)