ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Sue the good one... from Seattle
© 2005 Kevin Mazur with thanks to Sue!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How is the sound on this tour?......From Ian Return to archive
October 2nd, 2005 11:05 AM
IanBillen
I am very curious. Licks had "punch". Guitar driven mix. Licks is my over-all choice for their best all around sound. I have not seen this tour yet. My friend said you could hear much more detail than on Licks. He said this time the drums seem to be the most prevelant in the mix and it seems like it is louder than Licks. What are your thoughts in comparison to Licks or in general?

Ian
October 2nd, 2005 11:06 AM
Gazza Why not download a few shows!!
October 2nd, 2005 02:44 PM
Sir Stonesalot >Licks had "punch".<

Like fruit punch or Hawaiian punch? I'm not sure what you are refering to, but Licks didn't have it whatever you mean.

>Guitar driven mix.<

I just don't know where you come off with this stuff Ian. Licks was quite possibly the least "guitar" tour of all the tours since Steel Wheels. Chuck Leavell drove the Licks tour. Chuck and his Fabulous Rolling Stones. The sound on the Licks tour was the WORST part about it!!! It was like vaudeville Stones.

>Licks is my over-all choice for their best all around sound.<

Oh good god....I don't really even know how to reply to this. It's like you are from Mars or Andromeda or somplace 2000 light years from here....

Licks can't even approach the hard guitar sound of this current tour. The difference is like night and day. Or maybe a better one would be the difference between gay and straight....

Go see a Bigger Bang show Ian. Then talk about how great Licks sounds.
October 2nd, 2005 02:55 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>Licks had "punch".<

Like fruit punch or Hawaiian punch? I'm not sure what you are refering to, but Licks didn't have it whatever you mean.

>Guitar driven mix.<

I just don't know where you come off with this stuff Ian. Licks was quite possibly the least "guitar" tour of all the tours since Steel Wheels. Chuck Leavell drove the Licks tour. Chuck and his Fabulous Rolling Stones. The sound on the Licks tour was the WORST part about it!!! It was like vaudeville Stones.

>Licks is my over-all choice for their best all around sound.<

Oh good god....I don't really even know how to reply to this. It's like you are from Mars or Andromeda or somplace 2000 light years from here....

Licks can't even approach the hard guitar sound of this current tour. The difference is like night and day. Or maybe a better one would be the difference between gay and straight....

Go see a Bigger Bang show Ian. Then talk about how great Licks sounds.

I have nothing to add here. Other than to say that every word that you have said is spot on. The difference in the sound is 180 degrees as far as the guitars,and Chucky's plinking away goes.

Riffhard
October 2nd, 2005 03:02 PM
FPM C10 Amen. The sound of this tour is exactly what we've been yammering for. Horns and keys just where they should be...they only punch through in the moments when they're supposed to and the rest of the time you don't know they're there.

I actualy came home last night and said "Chuck was good tonight" because I only really noticed him when he punched in two Al Kooper B3 riffs from the original version of YCAGWYW - which was amaaaaaazing by the way. YAY Woody!

THIS is the guitar tour, babies!
October 2nd, 2005 08:25 PM
IanBillen Sir Stones Alot,

The Licks tour got nothing but praise for it's sound when they were touring. The only show I saw that didn't have the guitars up in the mix is Pittsburgh.
But still it sounded good. I saw Cleveland, Giants, and Pittsburgh. Cleveland's show was the best I had heard the Stones sound. I don't want to bring Gazza into this but I have no choice. Ask him. He was there.

"punch" means direct, hard hitting, and with some balls. Didn't you ever hear "it packs a good punch". And you speak of me being from Mars?

By the way "Or maybe a better one would be the difference between gay and straight....": I suppose this was meant to be a dig. Ahhhh -boring- SSA If I was gay I would tell you. If I was Bi I would say so. I am very straight. So there is you're answer. Geez. Reguardless, what does this have to do with anything we are talking about.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
October 2nd, 2005 09:11 PM
gotdablouse Yeah well, I guess you're still in your little world, eh Ian, sounds like you're having fun?

No 2005 shows for me yet, but I certainly felt the sound on the B2B tour was excellent even in a huge stadium like the Oakland Colisseum, everything came through loud and clear including the guitars. On the other hand the 2002 Stadium tours had really poor sound in comparison, this was discussed AD Nauseam here BTW, even the more "intimate" Pacbell SF show was horrendous soundwise, muddy and tinny.
October 2nd, 2005 10:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot >The Licks tour got nothing but praise for it's sound when they were touring.<

No. No it didn't. In fact, it was only the second biggest gripe about the Licks tour...the first being Chuck too far up in the mix.

The sound was almost universally ridiculed...especially here. Were you here during Licks Ian? We all talked at great length about the terrible sound systems that were used. Also the horrid mixing jobs that the sound techs did.

>Ask him. He was there.<

I was at Giant's...and the sound was terrible. I couldn't even hear the B stage.

Besides...I have an audio copy of every single Licks show from North America. And they all suffer from crappy sound...not crappy recording....good recordings of crappy sound. Every tour prior to Licks had better sound, and better mixing. This is not opinion...it's documented fact. The tapes don't lie dude.

>"punch" means direct, hard hitting, and with some balls. Didn't you ever hear "it packs a good punch". And you speak of me being from Mars?<

I know exactly what punch means...and that's why I have no idea what you meant. Your definition is obviously different from mine. I heard nothing during Licks that resembled "punch. I heard a lot of plinkity plonking from Chuck. I heard Vegas show tune arrangements of good rock n roll songs. But real "punch"? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Licks had some great moments, without doubt. But as far as the sound, mixing, arrangements...even performance...Licks was lacking to B2B, Voodoo, Steel Wheels...even No Security was better...and No Security sucked for sound.

If you want "punch" Ian, you need to go see the Stones on THIS tour. You will see what I mean when you do. The Stones will knock your ass out.

>By the way "Or maybe a better one would be the difference between gay and straight....": I suppose this was meant to be a dig. Ahhhh -boring- SSA If I was gay I would tell you. If I was Bi I would say so. I am very straight. So there is you're answer. Geez. Reguardless, what does this have to do with anything we are talking about.<

Any inference that you took from my post was strictly in yer owm mind. If I was going to do any name calling, I'd do it direct. When have I ever used veiled references? I come right out and say it man.

Like right now.

Ian, you are a fucknut.

See? Why would I play some silly word game? I just tell it like I see it...and if you have a problem with that...tough shit.

October 2nd, 2005 11:34 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>The Licks tour got nothing but praise for it's sound when they were touring.<

No. No it didn't. In fact, it was only the second biggest gripe about the Licks tour...the first being Chuck too far up in the mix.

The sound was almost universally ridiculed...especially here. Were you here during Licks Ian? We all talked at great length about the terrible sound systems that were used. Also the horrid mixing jobs that the sound techs did.

>Ask him. He was there.<

I was at Giant's...and the sound was terrible. I couldn't even hear the B stage.

Besides...I have an audio copy of every single Licks show from North America. And they all suffer from crappy sound...not crappy recording....good recordings of crappy sound. Every tour prior to Licks had better sound, and better mixing. This is not opinion...it's documented fact. The tapes don't lie dude.

>"punch" means direct, hard hitting, and with some balls. Didn't you ever hear "it packs a good punch". And you speak of me being from Mars?<

I know exactly what punch means...and that's why I have no idea what you meant. Your definition is obviously different from mine. I heard nothing during Licks that resembled "punch. I heard a lot of plinkity plonking from Chuck. I heard Vegas show tune arrangements of good rock n roll songs. But real "punch"? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Licks had some great moments, without doubt. But as far as the sound, mixing, arrangements...even performance...Licks was lacking to B2B, Voodoo, Steel Wheels...even No Security was better...and No Security sucked for sound.

If you want "punch" Ian, you need to go see the Stones on THIS tour. You will see what I mean when you do. The Stones will knock your ass out.

>By the way "Or maybe a better one would be the difference between gay and straight....": I suppose this was meant to be a dig. Ahhhh -boring- SSA If I was gay I would tell you. If I was Bi I would say so. I am very straight. So there is you're answer. Geez. Reguardless, what does this have to do with anything we are talking about.<

Any inference that you took from my post was strictly in yer owm mind. If I was going to do any name calling, I'd do it direct. When have I ever used veiled references? I come right out and say it man.

Like right now.

Ian, you are a fucknut.

See? Why would I play some silly word game? I just tell it like I see it...and if you have a problem with that...tough shit.

SSA,

You argue like a cross between a child and a redneck. If someone doesn't agree or see it just the way you do you start to call names. What am I supposed to do try and top it by calling you another name? Come-on. As I always told you I grew out of that sort of stuff in Junior High. In the real world of the grown-ups you'll never make it.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
October 3rd, 2005 03:47 AM
pdog Ian, go to a show and shut up!
No!!!
Shut up and go to a show...
That's better!
October 3rd, 2005 04:13 AM
Moonisup
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
Sir Stones Alot,

The Licks tour got nothing but praise for it's sound when they were touring.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]

Well no?
Maybe some clubshows, but certainly not the stadiums.
But the licks tour did get praise, but not for it's sound
October 3rd, 2005 09:42 AM
gotdablouse
quote:
pdog wrote:
Ian, go to a show and shut up!
No!!!
Shut up and go to a show...
That's better!

Agreed, and please Ian, don't start telling us about your "private life" that's really more information than we need !
October 3rd, 2005 10:03 AM
Sir Stonesalot Ian...

You missed my point....again.

My point was that in my original post I would have come right out and and said you were gay. Like when I called you a fucknut...I just come right out and say it. Do you know what I mean? I wasn't really calling you manes...I was just showing you how I do things. Do you understand? Normally I wouldn't ask, gbut with you I'm never sure if you get what I'm trying to say. I try to make it as simple as possible, but you still seem to misinterpret me.

Marko is from Finland...he understands what I'm saying just fine. English is your first language. It shouldn't be this hard.

Ian, look, I don't care if you agree with me or not. It makes no difference in my life at all....and I'm sure that you feel the same about me. Just know this...if you post something ridiculous like "Licks tour had the most guitar driven sound of all.", I'm going to call you on it. And I'm not doing it to be mean...but because we can't have people posting stupid shit like that here(and that is stupid shit.). We have a certain reputation to uphold. We know our stuff here. Perhaps you should listen to some of us once in a while? I have learned much from the good folks who post here. It's because I actually listen to what they say.

As you can see from this thread, I'm not the only one who is telling you that you are wrong. You need to focus on that. If you don't like me or how I say things, that is fine...but don't shut everyone else out.

Licks sound sucked. It was wimpy. That is a fact. And it's not just me saying that...it's everyone Ian. Well, except for you.

But it ain't no hangin' matter. Ain't no capital crime.
October 4th, 2005 07:51 AM
Moonisup "Licks sound sucked. It was wimpy. That is a fact. And it's not just me saying that...it's everyone Ian. Well, except for you."

Most people who say that now did not say that in 2002.
The ones who said it in 2002 were called wimpies, and whiners
October 4th, 2005 10:43 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
"Licks sound sucked. It was wimpy. That is a fact. And it's not just me saying that...it's everyone Ian. Well, except for you."

Most people who say that now did not say that in 2002.
The ones who said it in 2002 were called wimpies, and whiners

Fuckin A.
All I herd were great reviews back then. Not only from the boards but from critics, magazines reviews, everything.

For every bad review there were 20 hot reviews. Now all of the sudden
I'm nuts as usual.

Also one poster commented that the great reviews were not necessarily directing to the sound???

Well isn't that like at-least 50% of what you would base a good concert on???

Now I am the one who is supposably totaly off Cue....give me a break.
When the Licks tour was rolling in 2002 almost every review here was either stellar or ATLEAST very good. Ask Gazza. He has them all saved. He will verify.

Too many here instantly jump on this bandwagon to tell me I'm an ass no matter what I posted. 9 out of 10 posts that disagree is just that. The "let's tell Ian he's an ass for posting whatever recently". Just look above. If you really want to know the good review vs. bad review ratio or how everyone said The Stones sounded great on that tour simply ask Gazza. He knows because he logged it.

These comments about almost all bad reviews for the Licks tour and everyone saying the sound sucked is total Bullshit and is very far from the real truth.

Ian
October 4th, 2005 11:05 PM
Riffhard Ian I think the point that you are missing here is this. The reveiws from the Licks Tour,if memory serves,were mostly pretty good,at least the US leg of it,but there was still a real problem with Chuck,and the relience of the side players. There was alot of good to be sure. The fact that they finally pulled out CYHMK for example. However,the one thing that was almost universaly commented on here was the fact that the guitars were buried in the mix too often,and that Chuck was plink,plink,plinking away. He was not only directing the band,but was essentialy covering for Ronnie and Keith on some of their solos,and even the riffs.

There can be no doubt that even a sub par Stones' show is better than anything else out there. So many did praise the renewed energy of the band. Plus the fact that we were getting so many rare tunes helped the reviews as well,but the gripe was always about the lack of guitars "up in the mix".

Now flashforward to the current tour. Totally different. Chuck is only on the beat when he is supposed to be there. Keith and Ronnie are both prominate in the mix. Mick seems to be like a man rejuvinated. Charlie? Well,you know. Charlie's always good. There is a major difference in the sound. You asked how the sound was on this tour. You then went on to say that the sound of Licks was the best yet. However,nobody seems to agree with you on this. Neither do I,but I still thought it was a great tour. Why? Because of the setlists mainly,and the fact that they changed up the venues. Those aspects were great about Licks. The guitars were buried though for many shows. That is SS's point.

Go see a show Ian. Then you will understand what we mean.

Riffy
October 5th, 2005 06:12 AM
IanBillen [quote]Riffhard wrote:
Ian I think the point that you are missing here is this. The reveiws from the Licks Tour,if memory serves,were mostly pretty good,at least the US leg of it,but there was still a real problem with Chuck,and the relience of the side players. There was alot of good to be sure. The fact that they finally pulled out CYHMK for example. However,the one thing that was almost universaly commented on here was the fact that the guitars were buried in the mix too often,and that Chuck was plink,plink,plinking away. He was not only directing the band,but was essentialy covering for Ronnie and Keith on some of their solos,and even the riffs.

There can be no doubt that even a sub par Stones' show is better than anything else out there. So many did praise the renewed energy of the band. Plus the fact that we were getting so many rare tunes helped the reviews as well,but the gripe was always about the lack of guitars "up in the mix".

Now flashforward to the current tour. Totally different. Chuck is only on the beat when he is supposed to be there. Keith and Ronnie are both prominate in the mix. Mick seems to be like a man rejuvinated. Charlie? Well,you know. Charlie's always good. There is a major difference in the sound. You asked how the sound was on this tour. You then went on to say that the sound of Licks was the best yet. However,nobody seems to agree with you on this. Neither do I,but I still thought it was a great tour. Why? Because of the setlists mainly,and the fact that they changed up the venues. Those aspects were great about Licks. The guitars were buried though for many shows. That is SS's point.

Go see a show Ian. Then you will understand what we mean.

I definately want to hear the current tour. I will have to wait till they come to Phoenix. I am in Arizona now and that is the closest they are coming to me. I realize stadium shows are not the best example of what the sound should be like at a concert but I really wish I could see The Bigger Bang tour at a stadium. Now it looks like I have to do the arena thing instead.

Ian

October 5th, 2005 12:49 PM
marko Actually,this time sound is BETTER in stadium,than arenas.
I was at the Hershey/washington.
Besides,the technic they are using now,way beyond everything you´ve seen.
October 5th, 2005 04:32 PM
Sir Stonesalot >All I herd were great reviews back then. Not only from the boards but from critics, magazines reviews, everything.
For every bad review there were 20 hot reviews. Now all of the sudden I'm nuts as usual.<

Hey, even I gave the shows that I saw good reviews. I had a great time. But the sound and mix had nothing to do with it. The setlists were great, the spectacle was great, Mick's energy was amazing, Charlie was a human drum machine...better than great, and Ronnie and Keith showed flashes of former greatness...like they were on the way back to us. Plus I got to hang out with some really great people. I had a load of fun.

In spite of the crappy sound.

Besides...who listens to rock critics who write for newpapers and magazines. Those people don't know fuckall about dick. The folks you need to pay attention to are the fans. We are the people who know what we are talking about. Some fucknut with a worthless journalism degree writing about some band's show that he doesn't give a shit about....he/she can't tell you anything useful.

>Well isn't that like at-least 50% of what you would base a good concert on???<

Ummmmm. No. See above.

I have seen lots of great shows that suffered from bad sound. For me, performance and energy are the be all/end all. It helps if the soundman knows what he's doing...but it isn't essential. There's lots of bad sound guys out there...can't hold that against the band.

>These comments about almost all bad reviews for the Licks tour and everyone saying the sound sucked is total Bullshit and is very far from the real truth.<

I guess saying that one small part of the show sucked makes it a bad review to you? I never once said the shows sucked or that the shows got bad reviews. I said the sound sucked and the mix sucked. And it did. That is the real truth. I have no idea why you can't seperate things out, but obviously you can't.

Like you can't grasp that I like Bridges To Babylon, but I only like 4 or 5 songs from the album. Those 4 or 5 songs are so strong for me, that I feel they carry the rest of the crap and make it a good album. Unfortunately, for me, the 4 songs that I like from ABB don't lift the album up from the crap enough for me to still like the album.

You see, I don't have to like EVERYTHING about ANYTHING to still dig it...do you get what I'm saying? I am able to like little bits and parts of things to enable me to enjoy the whole. If you can't do that, I'm sorry for you. I'm just not an all or nothing kind of person.

Dude...I have ALL the tapes. Lemme say that again. I have ALL, as in every single US Licks show on CD. I have listened to them all at least 5 or more times. Some I have listened to 20 times or more. They almost ALL suffer from bad sound. Not bad recording(although there is some of that for sure, like the shows that I taped!)...bad show sound. The Theatre shows sounded pretty good, but that's because they mostly used the house PA for those shows. The stadiums and arenas sounded like crap...the tape doesn't lie. Guitars way down, Chuck and the horns carrying the show. Shameful. We watched the MSG PPV the other night. All of us bitched about the sound. Not the show...the sound and the mix.

Crappy sound did not stop the Stones from putting on great shows. That is how good the Stones are.

This tour is very very different. Not only is the sound the best I've heard for the Stones since the Voodoo Lounge tour, but it's the best sound I've heard from any major stadium/arena act period. And the soundman is hitting the mix right. It's such a breath of fresh air.

For once, I think the Stones paid attention to what we had to say on the boards...and they fixed what was so obviously broken. And they fixed it in a BIG way.

And there was much rejoicing....

October 5th, 2005 10:46 PM
IanBillen Sir Stones Alot,

I cannot understand your way of thinking. Because it makes little sense.

*A few weeks ago you wrote that even though you may only think a few songs are any good on an album you still would say you like the album in general?

Really? In the rest of the worlds eyes a few good songs put of a 12-16 track release in no way shape or form would be a thumbs up. The normal response would be in saying it a real sub-par album with only a few good songs. You;ll come off telling everyone you like the album and six months later tell them there are really only a few good songs on it and the rest aren't any good?
I don't get it dude?

Now you go onto say about The Stones live shows :
"even I gave the shows that I saw good reviews. I had a great time. But the sound and mix had nothing to do with it."

That makes alot of sense.

Q."Hey how were The Stones?"

A. Great show. The sound sucked and the mix was awful but that Mick he sure can dance....

I hate to break this to you SSA. But indeed the very most important part of a concert would be the sound/mix. The Setlist is also a big part sure, but who gives a fuck what they play if you can't even hear it or the mix as you said makes you want to vomit?

SSA you have a very strange guideline when it comes to judging an album or going to a show. Generally when somone gives a good review for a show....the fucking sound is first on the list of objectives. Anyone will tell you that.

Think about it. You gave good reviews to a Rock concert that you thought sucked in reguards to sound. Just on that merit alone I, and almost nobody would ever give the show a thumbs up. And you say I'm nuts?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
October 5th, 2005 11:02 PM
voodoopug I shall still greet pdog and SS
October 5th, 2005 11:58 PM
Sir Stonesalot >I don't get it dude?<

I know you don't get it Ian. You don't get anything that is outside of your own head. To you, there is only your way of thinking.

I fully explained myself earlier. Why I bothered...I don't know. There are even albums that I like(not Stones albums)based on the strength of one single song. That is how strong that one single song is for me.

I don't give a flying fuck if it makes any sense to you or not. In fact, if it doesn't make sense to you, then I know I'm on the right track.

>the fucking sound is first on the list of objectives. Anyone will tell you that.<

No they won't. YOU will tell me that. That is YOUR way of thinking. Not everyone thinks like you. Thank god for that.

I've saw a show once that the sound was so fucked that it was almost painful. Guess what...the band played extra hard and got over. It was an amazing performance. The dumbfucks who left early because of the crappy sound missed a great show by a great band. Their loss. More room for me to dance.

Look, if you don't know that the sound is only a very small part of a show...well, there's no point in talking to you. To me, your way of thinking is so shallow and tiny minded that I can't help but feel pity for you.

Live music isn't about sound quality. It is about performance and emotion. It is about connecting and interacting with the artists...even if they are on some gigantic stage at the other end of a stadium. It's about having fuckin' fun. It's all about the overall EXPERIENCE. The sound and mix is such a minor part in all that...it's nice to have decent sound and a good mix...but it's not the be all/end all.

Anyone who I care to talk with would know that...or at least be open to that way of thinking. Obviously you aren't.

So...whatever dude.
October 6th, 2005 08:31 AM
IanBillen
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
>All I herd were great reviews back then. Not only from the boards but from critics, magazines reviews, everything.
For every bad review there were 20 hot reviews. Now all of the sudden I'm nuts as usual.<

Hey, even I gave the shows that I saw good reviews. I had a great time. But the sound and mix had nothing to do with it. The setlists were great, the spectacle was great, Mick's energy was amazing, Charlie was a human drum machine...better than great, and Ronnie and Keith showed flashes of former greatness...like they were on the way back to us. Plus I got to hang out with some really great people. I had a load of fun.

In spite of the crappy sound.

Besides...who listens to rock critics who write for newpapers and magazines. Those people don't know fuckall about dick. The folks you need to pay attention to are the fans. We are the people who know what we are talking about. Some fucknut with a worthless journalism degree writing about some band's show that he doesn't give a shit about....he/she can't tell you anything useful.

>Well isn't that like at-least 50% of what you would base a good concert on???<

Ummmmm. No. See above.

I have seen lots of great shows that suffered from bad sound. For me, performance and energy are the be all/end all. It helps if the soundman knows what he's doing...but it isn't essential. There's lots of bad sound guys out there...can't hold that against the band.

>These comments about almost all bad reviews for the Licks tour and everyone saying the sound sucked is total Bullshit and is very far from the real truth.<

I guess saying that one small part of the show sucked makes it a bad review to you? I never once said the shows sucked or that the shows got bad reviews. I said the sound sucked and the mix sucked. And it did. That is the real truth. I have no idea why you can't seperate things out, but obviously you can't.

Like you can't grasp that I like Bridges To Babylon, but I only like 4 or 5 songs from the album. Those 4 or 5 songs are so strong for me, that I feel they carry the rest of the crap and make it a good album. Unfortunately, for me, the 4 songs that I like from ABB don't lift the album up from the crap enough for me to still like the album.

You see, I don't have to like EVERYTHING about ANYTHING to still dig it...do you get what I'm saying? I am able to like little bits and parts of things to enable me to enjoy the whole. If you can't do that, I'm sorry for you. I'm just not an all or nothing kind of person.

Dude...I have ALL the tapes. Lemme say that again. I have ALL, as in every single US Licks show on CD. I have listened to them all at least 5 or more times. Some I have listened to 20 times or more. They almost ALL suffer from bad sound. Not bad recording(although there is some of that for sure, like the shows that I taped!)...bad show sound. The Theatre shows sounded pretty good, but that's because they mostly used the house PA for those shows. The stadiums and arenas sounded like crap...the tape doesn't lie. Guitars way down, Chuck and the horns carrying the show. Shameful. We watched the MSG PPV the other night. All of us bitched about the sound. Not the show...the sound and the mix.

Crappy sound did not stop the Stones from putting on great shows. That is how good the Stones are.

This tour is very very different. Not only is the sound the best I've heard for the Stones since the Voodoo Lounge tour, but it's the best sound I've heard from any major stadium/arena act period. And the soundman is hitting the mix right. It's such a breath of fresh air.

For once, I think the Stones paid attention to what we had to say on the boards...and they fixed what was so obviously broken. And they fixed it in a BIG way.

And there was much rejoicing....

Well I don't know man. I think you're the only person here, or that I know who could come home from a concert that truly had bad sound and still call it a great show. I consider the sound, and/or mix to be the most crucial part of a concert. Sure it is a package deal. But what good is a package with nothing inside it? Would you still consider it a good delivery?

Now as far as other things contributing to the time someone has. Sure man,
The lights, the stage, the bands physical activity, the crowds enthusiasm and energy, your beer buzz, the chic next to you who grabbed your nuts during Beast of Burden etc. etc. But I firmly believe you got to at-least have average sound in order for the connection between the band and the crowd and to create this raw energy. With out at least average sound at a show I think the rest will wilter or not be there at all. It all starts with the music and the sonic energy in the bands sound. A shitty sound or a show you really cant hear...I just couldn't see someone calling it a great concert. How the hell could you?

Anyway,
I do understand that you can have great sound and a great mix yet still have a sub-par show when it comes to A Stones show, or major show in which spectacle is part of the game. I don't see a great spectacle and shitty sound being called great. I think the energy in the entire venue feeds primarily off the sound.

Ian

October 6th, 2005 01:26 PM
Lucy_Bandersnatch I went to two shows- Chicago and Milwaukee. I can't comment on the sound quality for Chicago since the seats were front section. I sat alternatively in two locations for the Bradley show, and the front section was fine. The sound quality SUCKED for the B-stage- no volume.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)