ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Sue the good one... from Seattle
© 2005 Kevin Mazur with thanks to Sue!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Oh - 24th September - Setlist, Photos & Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
September 26th, 2005 10:41 AM
Martha
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

And everyone who is yelling: ronnie sucks on this version: well he almost sucks on every song, so why blame him on only this one

Ronnie definitely does not suck my friend. He's awake, alert and on it. I was very impressed with Ronnie moreso than I was on the last tour. Mick introduced him as "the monkey on my back". Ronnie was hangin' off Mick's back (Mick dragged him to the mick that way) when he introduced him. And later Ronnie ate a banana during the middle of the show.

"It's just that demon life has got you in its sway"
September 26th, 2005 10:48 AM
Martha
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
I thought Sway sounded pretty damn good first time out! I think Mick's vocal delivery added a country flair to the song. And the guitar solos werent all that bad, certainly not Mick Taylor, but Woody seems to be putting in a much more concentrated effort this tour. THe sound on that mp3 is truly amazing for a boot. I love the internet...

I can't download this to hear it again....goddammit to hell having nothing but dial-up. sigh...

But.....you are on it Luxy...Ronnie IS concentrating more....he isn't screwin' around nor is Keef, like we all know and have seen that they can do.

As the article said in Rolling Stone..."No FUCKING ABOUT"!

I think if anything about their DEBUT performance of Sway that they were all somewhat nervous, especially Mick .
September 26th, 2005 10:50 AM
Martha
quote:
Zack wrote:
I think it was a great version! Did Jagger play guitar?

No
September 26th, 2005 10:52 AM
Martha
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
If they dont tour here i will kill myself! No, actually, i'll kill my wife.

I could just imagine standing on a mild April night, my mate Daethgod near me, maybe SIA in the next row, and the launch into Sway.

Man, that would be so freaking cool!

they did stuff it up. I hated the tempo. And, for once, horns would have been cool as hell on that. But, it was really great to hear (to me) their best "forgotten" song played live. Christ, i hope whatever dvd of whatever show they release has Sway on it!

PLEASE kill yourself and spare your wife. This wife killing deal has gotten so old in the US. It happens constantly. We're tired of it.
September 26th, 2005 10:55 AM
Martha We need a pic of Ronnie wearing his stripped CBGB shirt.

And a shot of Mick wearing the black feathery coat with matching hat (Pimp Alert!).

Anyone?????
September 26th, 2005 11:37 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

1) Sway - (April 1971. Premiered 24.9.05 - 34 years/5 mths)
2) Shes A Rainbow (Dec.1967. Premiered 25.9.97 - 29 years/9 mths)
3) You Got The Silver (Dec.1969. Premiered 25.1.99 - 29 yrs/1 mth)
4. Sister Morphine (April 1971. Premiered 23.9.97 - 28 yrs/5 mths)
5. Moonlight Mile (April 1971. Premiered 25.1.99 - 27 yrs/9 mths)

great stats Gazza. Thanks.

but didnt Rainbow make its debut on Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour?
September 26th, 2005 11:44 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Speaking of Sway, where is Saint Sway? Calling Saint Sway...they just played your favorite stones song for the first time ever!

dude I'm right here!!

sorry I couldnt respond sooner but I keep fainting everytime I read the set list!!!!

Sway - FINALLY!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!
September 26th, 2005 12:32 PM
charlotte
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

great stats Gazza. Thanks.

but didnt Rainbow make its debut on Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour?

Maybe you are thinking about "2000 Light Years From Home"??
September 26th, 2005 01:54 PM
The Volitan
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
SWAY mp3:
http://www.deathsocks.com/columbus/

Thanks to: drake and IORR!!!!

http://iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,254006

[Edited by Moonisup]

Wow. This sucks in comparison to the studio. And Mick can't remember what album it's from?!?!
September 26th, 2005 02:24 PM
Joey

These guys are just so damn cool to play SWAY for all of us diehards .........

God I love The Rolling Stones !!!!!!
September 26th, 2005 04:46 PM
PartyDoll MEG From today's Columbus Dispatch:

MUSIC REVIEW | THE ROLLING STONES
Old masters still create exhilarating blues romp
Monday, September 26, 2005
Curtis Schieber
FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

The Rolling Stones played Start Me Up, which has opened most of the band’s recent shows, near the end of a two-hour concert in Nationwide Arena. Unlike other concerts, where the song jump-started the evening, on Saturday night it testified to the band’s endurance — over the space of one evening as well as during a 40-plus-year career.

After 17 songs, the Stones weren’t tired; they were in the groove.

Three strums of two chords introduced the tune and upped the considerable energy already felt in the sold-out arena. Keith Richards’ guitar riffs were an example of the simplest and perhaps most primal element of the Stones’ enduring appeal. Mick Jagger’s flamboyance while delivering the band’s huge catalog of songs is the more obvious component.

Saturday the two were in fine balance.

From the start, Jagger made every inch of the enormous stage his playground, constantly moving from front to back, gesturing to the crowd from the widest reaches of the wings and strutting like a rooster on the fashion show runway that extended more than halfway into the arena floor.

While most of his pointing, pouting and posturing was familiar, the singer was more theatrical during the nervously exhilarating She’s So Cold and surprisingly energetic for romps such as Tumbling Dice. With Otis Redding’s Mr. Pitiful, Jagger connected perhaps more strongly with the rhythm-and-blues tradition than he did in his youth, the years adding character to his reading Saturday.

Back Of My Hand, from the new album A Bigger Bang, was more evidence that Jagger and company are increasingly able to emulate the bluesmen who inspired them. Back was particularly reminiscent of the Stones version of Mississippi Fred McDowell’s You Gotta Move but even saltier.

In some ways, the Stones have become the old blues guys they admired from the start, continuing into the autumn of their lives singing about sex, salvation and sacrilege.

Like the blues masters, the Stones aren’t as musically exact in their old age as before. Brown Sugar, which opened the show, stumbled in, the group struggling to find the beat. The sloppy Sway, which Jagger said the Stones had never performed on stage, never quite found its groove.

But drummer Charlie Watts was strong after recovering from throat cancer and guitarist Ron Wood was both the perfect foil for Richards and a fine soloist, as well. Bassist Darryl Jones provided an indestructible funk bottom. Tunes such as Tumbling Dice and She’s So Cold were a total romp as a result of the band’s fluid performance.

Unlike performances by old blues masters, though, Stones shows create spectacle. This tour is no different, though the scale has diminished somewhat. As the band launched into Miss You, a huge piece of the stage levitated and rode tracks into the middle of the floor. Packed onto the island, the Stones delivered a popping Oh No Not You Again to a throbbing packed house. After they rode the stage back with Honky Tonk Women and then with Sympathy for The Devil, the energy raised yet another notch.

Though Sympathy sounded less ominous than decades ago, Jagger’s black feather jacket and hat gave his performance a decadent quality. No longer as dangerous, the Rolling Stones still can whip an arena full of people into a rock ’n’ roll frenzy.

Beck opened the show with a short but varied set that covered his early hip-hop grooves, the later acoustic side and a bit of electric psychedelia. His show was clever, funny and incessantly rhythmic.

September 26th, 2005 06:28 PM
Saint Sway I NEED some details about Sway please

I'm trying to visualize them playing this..

was Mick playing guitar? Or was he strutting around?.. Was Keith hovering in front of Charlie up on the edge of the stage throwing his head back. Did the house lights go red like in Sympathy? Was the screen showing grainy b&w footage?

any details you can give would be great....
September 26th, 2005 07:01 PM
PartyDoll MEG Not good with details and remember I wasn't breathing and alcholic consumption doesn't help!!!

Here is what I remember-others who were there feel free to add to Saint Sway's visualization: Keith was right in front of Charlie's drums the entire song, not playing to the audience at all. I hardly noticed him from the floor, but I had a tall head in front of me. Mick did not do a lot a prancin' around and limited himself pretty much to Keith's side of the stage and center stage, except to tease Ronnie with a playful pat. Ronnie was right up front the entire time and playing with such intensity. Mick's vocals were really good( you heard the recording), but IMHO Ronnie was the one who stood out.(Obviously not flawless, but forever memorable!)
September 26th, 2005 07:09 PM
Saint Sway cool.

thanks Party Doll!
September 26th, 2005 08:06 PM
TomL WOW- just getting back on track, just to leave tomorrow for pittsburgh. Look forward to doing seven shows in a row. Not going to re-hash what most peiople said. All I can say is...................

THAT DEMON LIFE HAS GOT YOU IN IT'S SWAY..............

We got to talk to Bernard for 15 minutes or so after the show, his comment was where the fuck is stonesdoug. Dave thanks for getting the party together, it was a blast. It was so nice that Partydollmeg did not kick ny ass. It was so nice seeing Martha and Chris again, thank you so for coming. akissaway it is always a pleasure, bonstones is was nice to meet you, buckeyedave, kdd, browneyedgirl thanks, mattman you were missed, sharpe E you were missed, keefduck thank you so much for the voodoo lounge gift I will cherish it forever, stonesman rock on, nice to see Dave Kolh again, to all I forgot sorry I am just burnt right now. Also akissaways friend I know I met you in Chicago just drawing a blank right now.

See you in Pittsburgh and point beyond. next one I want to here is She saw me coming....she was a piece of work.......
[Edited by TomL]
September 26th, 2005 08:41 PM
Saint Sway is that Blondie I hear playing an acoustic?

WHY??????????

why do they let that douchebag strum an acoustic on songs that 1) dont need it and 2) never had an acoustic playing on it in the 1st place
September 26th, 2005 09:47 PM
TomL Lady Jane and Nanky u were missed. That was Meg and she does live in Columbus.
September 26th, 2005 09:52 PM
LadyJane Thanks Tom!!! YOU FUCKER!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO.

xx00
LJ.
September 26th, 2005 10:02 PM
TomL I have an extra for Hershey sec 29 row B u want it. 130 with tix bastard charges????????Gotta know know before I post it.
September 26th, 2005 10:04 PM
LadyJane Thanks...but I just can't. I already passed on glencar's extra.

I appreciate it....very very much!!!

LJ.
September 26th, 2005 10:18 PM
TomL otay my friend.
September 26th, 2005 10:19 PM
LadyJane And with YOUR luck...they'll probably play Lady Jane.

I WILL regret this...I know it.

LJ.
September 26th, 2005 10:30 PM
TomL Never know..............................................Im posting it now.......................
September 26th, 2005 10:39 PM
LadyJane Don't you EVEN tell me the spare is Mattman's or Nanky's!!

NO...don't tell me..

email me details.

LJ.
September 27th, 2005 03:50 AM
Jeep From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Rolling Stones a little rocky but fans love them
By Doug Oster, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Tuesday, September 27, 2005

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05270/578224.stm

COLUMBUS -- It was 3 1/2 hours before the gates opened at Nationwide Arena in Columbus and Darcy Sawmiller was spinning around, dancing and laughing as "Let's Spend the Night Together" blasted out of speakers from the bar next door.

Sounds like a typical start to any Rolling Stones concert except Sawmiller's 6-year-old daughter, Janey, was on her shoulders preparing to see her first rock concert. In fact, the entire family from Columbus was there to see the show -- Cody, 14, Aubrey and Zachary, both 16, and husband, Kirk. "We're in the cheap seats, if you can call $165 plus service charge cheap seats," he said with a laugh.

They were all decked out in Stones clothes, Darcy and Janey wearing artistic hand-painted tongues in an effort to win a local radio station's front-row seats. For the 16-year-olds, this will be their fourth time to see the band.

And I thought I was a Stones fanatic. I was 29 before I saw my fourth show, but now I've seen them 12 times, with shows that became treasured memories and others that left me empty.

On Saturday, four days before tomorrow's show at PNC Park, I saw one that did both.

The difference between watching a Stones concert as a reporter as opposed to a fan is colossal. One has an objective eye and spots mistakes; the other is an unabashed zealot who forgives even the tiniest slip-up.

The eighth-row seat on Ronnie Wood's side of the stage was the closest I've ever been, but I felt out of place. Everyone around me was drinking. The guy next to me was annoyingly wasted and a close-talker to boot.

When the lights went down at 9:45 the Stones were hidden behind a bizarre translucent mural depicting an audience of what could best be described as circus freaks. The video screen erupted in a cataclysmic depiction of the creation of the universe, following the theme of the tour and album, "A Bigger Bang." The screen lifted to reveal Keith Richards, his trademark blonde Telecaster in hand, launching into "Brown Sugar," missing badly on his second phrase.

No matter, Mick Jagger strutted to the foreground belting out the first lyrics of the evening only the way he can. He was dressed in a shiny jacket, black pants and green shirt. The crowd was thrilled.

It was apparent immediately that Mick Jagger still has it -- the body, the moves and a voice that's never sounded better.

During the first three songs, the band was essentially a six-piece act, with Jagger, Richards, Wood, drummer Charlie Watts, bassist Darryl Jones and Chuck Leavell on keyboards. The intro to "Tumbling Dice" brought the addition of the background singers and horns.

While most casual Stones fans tolerate the new songs, I couldn't wait to hear them. It's fresh for the band, and they work hard to sell the song. "Rough Justice," the first single from the album, kicked off with Richards' dirty guitar, and it felt like the band was warming up.

"Back of My Hand" was next. Jagger took center stage, Danelectro guitar in hand playing slide all alone. Behind him, Wood and Richards sat on the drum riser. Soothing blue light enveloped the stage, revealing the deep creases in Richard's bare arms. The Stones were transformed into the old blues men they have emulated for more 40 years.

It's something of an irony that at 62 Jagger can run, prance and jump around the stage for two hours, yet his aging audience sits during most of the show, something unheard of during the glory years. Stones diehards received a special gift this evening. For the first time ever, Jagger and the guys played "Sway." The nugget from 1971's "Sticky Fingers" was played to perfection. Wood even did the Mick Taylor solo justice, finishing it with tasty slide licks.

"All Down the Line" exploded from the stage and we got to see the magic happen. The band has returned to its former glory, ripping through the songs.

Toward the end of the show, the Stones began their hit-laden but predictable crescendo. "Sympathy for the Devil," "It's Only Rock and Roll," "Start Me Up" and "Jumping Jack Flash" all had their moments but suffered with either bad starts, worse lead breaks or sloppy endings.

During the encore, "You Can't Always Get What You Want," the audience sang along, filling the arena with the chorus. But at one point, something went wrong -- Ronnie, Keith and Charlie stopped, looked at each other and picked up the tune again.

The audience seemed blissfully unaware of the glitch, and who could blame them? They were there to pay homage to rock gods.

On this night in Columbus, the guitar players were like a bloated Elvis. But Jagger was a magician, and the audience was better for the distraction. When the band takes the PNC Park stage tomorrow, I'll be a fan again, and I can't wait. I might notice the mistakes, but I won't be looking for them
[Edited by Jeep]
September 30th, 2005 01:38 PM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT
quote:
Gazza wrote:
And before I hit the sack, heres one for the trivia buffs amongst you

Tonight's debut of "Sway" is easily the longest period ever between the Stones releasing a song and premiering it live (in fact considering how long the Stones have been going, it could be quite possible that no artist has ever waited this long before premiering a song in concert)

By my reckoning, the top 5 are :

1) Sway - (April 1971. Premiered 24.9.05 - 34 years/5 mths)
2) Shes A Rainbow (Dec.1967. Premiered 25.9.97 - 29 years/9 mths)
3) You Got The Silver (Dec.1969. Premiered 25.1.99 - 29 yrs/1 mth)
4. Sister Morphine (April 1971. Premiered 23.9.97 - 28 yrs/5 mths)
5. Moonlight Mile (April 1971. Premiered 25.1.99 - 27 yrs/9 mths)

how about she smiled sweetley or was that played in the 60's sometimes?
September 30th, 2005 02:30 PM
erikjjf
quote:
eXiLe oN 2nD sT wrote:

how about she smiled sweetley or was that played in the 60's sometimes?

In 1967, I believe.
October 5th, 2005 05:51 AM
Gazza correct..whilst there are actually no 1967 recordings of it on any of the shows that are in circulation, James Karnbach's book specifically mentions it being played at the afternoon show in Paris on 11th April - because there was a problem with Brian's organ (!!!) which meant that the song had to be restarted 3 times
October 5th, 2005 12:18 PM
Joey
quote:
telecaster wrote:

LOL!

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)