ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Giant Stadium, Spetember 28, 2002 by Mark Fisher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fox News internet site Return to archive
10-04-02 11:56 AM
jb Another terrible piece by Fox news..they really have it in for the boys..
10-04-02 12:25 PM
sandrew That's truly ridiculous. How many times are they going to report the same thing? The Stones are "adrift, without purpose?" That's never been less true.
10-04-02 12:32 PM
Maxlugar This guy does not deserve to work with the likes of Laurie Dhue, Juliet Hutty, Patty Ann Brown or Jane Skinner.

Hotties! All of 'em!!

Now. I work four blocks north of Fox News. If someone will just find out what floor he works on, I'll go leave my still intact Brown Stinky in the mens room closest to his cubicle.

I am so mad.

{{{{{Maxy!}}}}}
10-04-02 12:32 PM
jb Why don't they report on Macca or Bruce not selling out...everyone is having trouble....and as far as the music, the reviews have never been better!
10-04-02 12:35 PM
Riffhard Dear Mr. Friedman,
Your recent article on the Rolling Stones is way off base.Yes the Stones are not selling the amount of tickets they once did.However,it is worth pointing out that their shows are getting some of the best reveiws that they have garnered in years.I recently attended their show at Giant's Stadium in New Jersey.I have never been to a better show.The fact is simple real rock music is going the way of the dodo.Some record industry types and networks are pushing acts that appeal to the lowest common denominator.Can you say American Idol?!(your network if I'm not mistaken)If this is your idea of quality entertainment or,worse yet quality music,than your opinions carry absolutly no weight.I have no time for prejudiced critics that will do anything to throw the Stones under the bus.The fact that the Stones still command the respect of their peers is proof enough for me that bitter,vintictive,beer bellied,balding hack writers are just so much sour grapes.Has it occured to you,Mr. Freidman,that the Stones have generated revenues of over 1.5 billion dollors since 1989.Why do you suppose that is?Here's a quick answer for you.It's because their show is second to none!

Show the Stones a modicum of respect.You don't miss the water till the well runs dry.When the Stones finally hang it up your type will be mourning the loss of "real" music.When that day comes I personaly hope you thrill to the sounds of Creed or some other prefab,flavor of the month band!Let the Stones continue to roll for years to come.After all,someone needs to keep the public,and other lesser bands,aware of what a real rock and roll band is all about.

Sincerly,
Steve Hook
------------------------------------------------------------

This is a copy of a letter I just e-mailed that idiot.I recomend you all do the same.Fuck him!I didn't mention that I went to the Garden because I wanted him to think that I was a typical fan and not a rabid one.Ofcourse,the body of the letter may have given me away anyway!LOL!

Riffhard
10-04-02 12:37 PM
Maxlugar Josh,

Do you think your two beautiful children will be working in some form of Televised Medium when they get older?

They should.

Even though you have what they call "A Radio Face", your kids will have the oportunity to do better.

My fingers are crossed!

\\\[[[[[MAXY!]]]]]]/// <----- I have built a fortress around me.
10-04-02 12:39 PM
jb Patty Browne=maxy be horny?
10-04-02 01:10 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
This guy does not deserve to work with the likes of Laurie Dhue, Juliet Hutty, Patty Ann Brown or Jane Skinner.

Hotties! All of 'em!!

Laurie Dhue. Ooooooooooooooooh yeeeeeah! I'll be her knight in shining armor. She is hot to the 22265th power. Everytime I see those lips, ooooooooh, I wanna.....you know.
10-04-02 01:14 PM
jb Can't touch Sohia Choy on CNN or the lovely Ms. Chung..56 yrs old and very hot!!!
10-04-02 01:15 PM
sirmoonie I think Riffie is right. Just lay out the case as to why Friedman is wrong without descending into uh....stuff like some of us post here.

Man, to infer that he had seen a show, when he obviously hasn't, is just slimy.

Everyone should ding this creep though. EVERYONE! If we don't stand up when our band needs us most, its that much easier for the next hack to take a shot.

We Shall Overcome.........
10-04-02 01:17 PM
jb Yes Moonie..I even wrote a mature response to this prick without wishing him death...If I can do it, everyone can!!!!Were #1 my learned professional!!!
10-04-02 01:17 PM
winter God Bless You Riffhard!

What's the bastard's e-mail address?

wintah
10-04-02 01:20 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
jb wrote:
Can't touch Sohia Choy on CNN or the lovely Ms. Chung..56 yrs old and very hot!!!

hey jb, what about Jules Asner from E! TV. I think she is one sexy lady. Ooooooooh baby! Oh, man, I wish I could go behind the scenes with her.

BTW, I would like to punch Kelly Ripa in the face. Airhead!
10-04-02 01:26 PM
sirmoonie I think its [email protected]. Thats what pops up when you hit "Respond to Writer."

Is that where you sent it Riffie?

Swing low, sweeeet charioooooot, come fo' to carry meee home......
10-04-02 01:41 PM
Maxlugar I'm waiting until I get home and have the Stones playing with a few drinks in me before I send mine!

There's plenty of good lawyers here to bail me out.

The dream team of Josh, Nanky and Moonie plus my wife. Would you guys like to team up with my wife?

Developing........
10-04-02 01:43 PM
Riffhard Yes sirmoonie that is indeed where I sent it.I doubt I'll get a response,but at least I let the bastard know how I feel.Who knows if enough of us e-mail this prick maybe we will get some reaction.I found it to be cathartic just to get it off my chest.This guy seems to be the only one who dosen't "get it".By far the positive articles have outweighed the negative ones.I just hate the fact that this jerk is badmouthing the boys without having seen a show!He probably thinks U2 or Aerosmith is the epitome of rock and roll!

Riffhard
PS-"If we are all one....."Write this douchbag today!Let freedom ring!The truth shall set this fuck free!
10-04-02 01:47 PM
sandrew I emailed him directly at [email protected]. The general address will get you nowhere except the bottom of an inbox maintained by an intern.
10-04-02 01:51 PM
Riffhard I just sent a copy to that address as well.Thanks sandrew!At least now I know he'll see it.

Riffhard
10-04-02 01:55 PM
Maxlugar What about Dan Aquilante of the NY Post? Are we not going to slam him too?

If anyone needs me, I'll be dusting off my pitchfork and lighting my torch.
10-04-02 01:55 PM
jb What type of practice does the Mrs. have? You must be raking in the bucks!!!! I am but a small cheese compared to your New York wages!!!
10-04-02 02:02 PM
Maxlugar Please Josh....We're rollin' in it.

For God sakes, do you think just anyone has a Sony 400 CD Player?

And Jackalope?

Well. DO you?
10-04-02 02:06 PM
Riffhard wrong person. sorry.

That is the response I received from [email protected]

So go with foxlife@foxnews instead.

Riffhard
10-04-02 02:45 PM
winter Here's my e-mail to Mr. Friedman:

Mr. Friedman:

I have just one question for you. Have you actually attended any of the Rolling Stones shows this tour? Based upon your editorial, I suspect that you have not. The general consensus among fans and even CRITICS is that the Stones are in fine form this tour. Perhaps you haven't realized that the critical bandwagon took a turn from bashing to praising the Stones this time around. Not surprisingly, your attacks on the band include comments regarding their age (i.e., Mr. Richards is edgy for the AARP) and the price of the tickets. Not exactly original thinking Mr. Friedman.

As for your point on ticket sales, for someone who reports on music, you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of how the ticket sales process works. Sure there are tickets available for the shows, tickets are always released as show time approaches. Many tickets are held back for insiders and VIPs, and the ones that aren't used, - well, guess what - yup, you got it, they are made available for sale!!! This is true for all artists. I attend anywhere from 20-30 concerts a year, and I've been able to buy amazing seats for many artists through ticketmaster.com as the shows approach. Here are some examples of tickets I've bought in the past within a few days of the shows (face value, no scalpers, through Ticketmaster):

front row -floor for Elton John at the Fleet Center
11th row - floor for Madonna at the Fleet Center for her most recent tour
Excellent (100 level close to the stage) seats for U2 at the Providence Civic Center (Elevation Tour)
General Admission floor seats for U2 at the Fleet Center (Elevation Tour)
10th row at the Orpheum for Paul Simon
15th row for Aerosmith at the Tweeter Center (this past august)
9th row for the Who at the Tweeter Center (current tour)
16th row for the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Foo Fighters (last tour)
6th row Sheryl Crow at the Orpheum (last tour)

There are countless others I can assure you. In fact, just the other day third row seats were available for the Timothy White benefit at the Fleet Center this coming Monday - but I didn't take them, I rather spend the money on another Stones show. Are all of these artists without a "purpose" or suffering from poor ticket sales?

I acknowledge that some of the markets are not selling like gangbusters (e.g., DC and south Florida (which seems to suggest that DC and south Florida are on the same cultural plateau; is Ricky Martin king in DC also? ouch!)), but I challenge you to find me a Stones show that looks "under-sold" at show time. I attended the Fleet Center, CMGI, Giants Stadium and the Orpheum this tour. While there may have been some tickets available at show time (with the exception of the Orpheum), I can assure you that each of those venues were packed. The same will be true for Hartford tomorrow night, which is currently sold out according to Ticketmaster (and which I might add, is a location sandwiched between a total of 9 shows when you consider all of the New York and Boston shows this fall and next January). I guarantee that this Stones tour will be #1 for the year in tickets dollars, and it will be in the top three in terms of attendance numbers (most likely #1). Once the numbers for the tour are finalized, I challenge you to give your readers an updated editorial about how the shows actually sold.

Lastly, to your point about the "expensive" 40 Licks disk - not only are you not a very good music editorialist, you're not a good shopper, as the record store by me has it for $19.99. If you send me $20, I'll get you a copy.

Oh, I guess I do have one other question for you, if the Stones aren't playing with a "purpose" these days, who is?

[winter]
10-04-02 03:01 PM
sandrew Winter, that was a fine piece of work. That guy didn't even bother to do any research, and you called him it on it very effectively.

Sorry I gave a wrong email address earlier.
10-04-02 03:25 PM
winter sandrew:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm surprised no one has attacked me yet on some of the shows I've attended. For the record, I just like going to shows, if they have some musical significance, if tickets are available and if I have the xtra cash - I'll go. For example, I'm actually not an Elton John fan (some of his old stuff is ok), just thought it would be good to see what he's like live. Madonna was actually a pretty impressive production. I would really call it a concert, but very entertaining (I got good points with the girlfriend for that one as well).

wintah
10-04-02 03:34 PM
winter that should be "really wouldn't call it a concert"

wintah
10-04-02 03:40 PM
jb Great post Winter..however, South Florida is not that bad....we will sell atleast 36,000 seats for the 2 shows...about 18,000 at each venue which hold about 20,000 for concerts...
10-04-02 03:44 PM
winter jb:

glad to hear it, if either of those shows were on the weekend, I'd be there. I just can't take any more time off from work. If memory serves me correctly, you guys have Shaggy opening up - bring your rocks (I know you'll be in throwing range)-

wintah
10-04-02 04:16 PM
Boomhauer Well, this Friedman is going to get FRIED lol, if you know what I mean.

Hell, I had a psychology teacher with the name Friedman. I thought she was full of S--T with that Freudian crap. What the fuck was Freud thinking anyway? Sicko!