ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Giant Stadium, Spetember 28, 2002 by Mark Fisher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The New Studio Album - Thoughts? Return to archive
10-03-02 05:43 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Alright, so we know they did lotsa songs in Paris - they've been doing this for ever, it seems, but Don Was is a moron when it comes to good stuff to release. However, he's also a decent producer, so we'll let him go on that one.

When and where is this New Studio Album Keith wants to do getting done?

Do they have enough time in December to do it?

Do they want to?

Are The Glimmer Twins going to be behind the helm if the oft-promised never-appearing Box Set is chosen instead?

And, most importantly...

Are the Stones really going to make another Studio Album ever again? It has been five years... and even though all of them seem rearin' to go, if any one of them croaks (god forbid) it's over. Even Ronnie, now, I think. Mick would want to replace him and get shot down by Keith, and that'd be it, they'd fight, and it'd be over.

So is it gonna happen? How soon?

When can I start officially drooling?

-tSYX --- I got da keys to your love, I got da *retch*
10-03-02 05:49 PM
Moonisup man, yeah, where talking about the end of the stones now!

Well what Pete Townsend said, during the Hall of Fame introduction, well they should follow that, don't end graceffully, end whith a big bang that everyone will remember!!

RIk
10-03-02 06:49 PM
full moon Funny that you posted this topic.. WXRT in Chicago just played Don't Stop and after the song the DJ said " The boys have around 25 songs to work out and will be finishing a new album on the current world tour. Mick and Keith think the band is playing like a well oiled machine.." The DJ went on to say that the recording of the album can be done during the tour breaks , which are Dec 2002 .. And all of April, May and part June 2003...
10-03-02 06:52 PM
stonesmik But the ORIGINAL Rolling Stones have already ended with a big bang, even TWICE: the death of Brian Jones and Altamont. Everyone remembers that! They had one arm amputated, but the other was still there, and the throat and the tapping foot and the bass leg, too. They just asked some Taylor if he could sew them on another arm and he did but that arm soon fell off again and they had to stick in a wooden arm which still fits in very well even if it feels a bit sore at times. But meanwhile the bass leg has walked somewhere else and the Stones have to use their jones as a second leg.
10-03-02 07:59 PM
justinkurian not sure if this has been posted but, it's from USA Today:

Entertainment - USA TODAY

'Forty Licks' brings a wealth of satisfaction
Thu Oct 3, 7:35 AM ET
Edna Gundersen USA TODAY

What's the next step for the Rolling Stones after Forty Licks? Thirty new songs to be culled for a new album.

''I thought it was important to get the boys playing new stuff,'' Keith Richards says. ''When we were recording in Paris in May, I thought we might get four or five tracks down. We got 30.''

As a preview, the Stones inserted four new songs among the 40 tracks that make up Forty Licks, their first career-spanning retrospective, out this week. The album also revives familiar tunes from early Buddy Holly cover Not Fade Away and breakthrough signature Satisfaction to disco nod Miss You and grunge prototype Tumbling Dice.

Although oldies also dominate the current Licks tour, the first major trek since 1975 not pegged to a studio album, new song Don't Stop became an instant concert staple. And the Stones don't stop there; they hope to introduce other fresh tunes into the set list.

There's no set date for the new album; indeed, Mick Jagger says, ''I don't remember how much is actually finished. When the tour gets to be like clockwork, we can work on some of the songs on the road.''

The band expects a variety of obstacles on the way back to the studio, but creative famine isn't one of them. ''If you're a songwriter, you can't put a brake on it,'' Richards says.

Jagger and Richards say a new album probably will build on the vibe and textures of the four new Forty Licks tracks produced by Don Was. Those include slightly twangy first single Don't Stop, punk-edged midtempo rocker Stealing My Heart and soulful ballads Keys to Your Love and Losing My Touch, the last featuring piano, acoustic bass and Keith's earthy croak.

During the past decade, the band has had more pull at the box office than the record store. The Stones hold records for pop history's three best-attended tours: Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge and Bridges to Babylon. Yet companion records sold modestly by comparison, peaking at 1.8 million copies for 1994's Voodoo Lounge.

Richards says he never expects an instant chart rise with new albums and is never surprised when a song resurfaces years later, as was the case with forgotten Voodoo track Thru and Thru, which was resurrected for last year's Sopranos soundtrack, Peppers & Eggs. ''I thought it was dead and gone. If it's a good song, it doesn't matter whether it immediately comes out of the starting gate. Our songs take a while to fall in.'' He adds with a laugh, ''We're way ahead of people, and they need time to catch up.''

The band might need time of its own to catch up to studio plans. The tour, booked through early February in the USA with a show Jan. 18 at New York's Madison Square Garden pegged for an HBO special, moves overseas next spring. A tour documentary is in the works, as is a lavish coffee-table book. And Jagger, who is co-starring in The Man From Elysian Fields, plans to produce a film chronicling the romantic life of Dylan Thomas.

10-03-02 08:06 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Keith's been changing the number for awhile now...

Oh, wait. I get it. 4 new songs, 26 unreleased. I get it.

-tSYX --- Hear the voice of experience...
10-03-02 09:43 PM
gotdablouse Well let's see.
1) In a recent interview with Stern (a very open interview...) Mick said they still had 13 tracks recorded in Paris, so that's a total of 4+13=17 according to him...hum...

2) The 3 "Mick" songs on 40 Licks were "pre-produced" by Matt Clifford although oddly enough he doesn't appear to be playing on them, which makse sense because you'd expect the Stones to have rerecorded everything...oh wait, why is he getting "pre-production" credits then...

3) I was pessimistic about a tbew album before the tour, but I think it will be out next spring. I hope they'll finish it up quickly. The production and sound on the 4 "stones" tracks on 40 Licks is probably the best since Highwire, guitars, guitars, guitars ! Let's keep it simple boys.

The reason they sound so good is probably because they were mixed by Bob Clearmountain, the man responsible for making the Tattoo You "odds and sodds" sound like they had just been recorded. Wonder why they haven't used him since...

I think they should fire Don Was, he's responsible for tossing the best tunes of the Voodoo Lounge sessions, ie. Keith's "Make It Now", "You Got It Made", "Anything For You" and Mick's "Ivy League", "Homnest Man" and "Zip Mouth". It's a mystery Mick even kept him on board after that album. He really wasn't mincing his words about him in that '95 RS interview called "Jagger Remembers"...basically saying that he'd messed up the album my trying to make it sounds like "1972".
[Edited by gotdablouse]
10-03-02 09:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I think, gotdablouse, and this is just my theory, that they were more than ready to let Don go... but Keith saw who Mick picked to produce the next album (The Dust Brothers) and snatched up Don again as kind of a defense against Mick's pop-trash experiments, some of which turned out actually quite good ("Saint Of Me", "Gunface"). Of course, the others sucked ("Anybody Seen My Baby?", "Might As Well Get Juiced"). So Keith kept Don just because he didn't want Mick running away with his imagination, and while Don can't really pick the best tracks at all, he is a rock'n'roller at heart, and the mediocre known is better than the potentially disasterous unknown that Mick would show up with as soon as Don Was left.

-tSYX --- If you really wanna mess up your mind...
10-03-02 10:51 PM
gotdablouse I think you've got a point there. It did work "sort of" to have Don Was around for B2B with all the different producers (Dust Bros, Saber, Fraboni) and the 3 different studios. But that was then.
It seems Don Was "chose" Losing My Touch as Keith's song for 40 Licks. While I've grown used to it somehow I still can't belive Keith didn't have anything stronger from his releasless 5 years.
I say they dump Was and get a guy like Rick Rubin (Wandering Spirit) or even better just hack it along with Bob Clearmountain doing the mixing.

PS - I can't believe he did such a shitty job on VL after recording the marvellous Papa Was a Rollin' Stone cover with Was Not Was. I wonder why everyone is so hot on him. I've hated the guy ever since he "produced" Dylan's horrible "Under a Red (blood?)Sky" in 1990 after the marvellous "Oh Mercy" of 1989.
10-03-02 11:02 PM
Boomhauer You heard it here first:

This new album will rule. Although I love VL and B2B, this new album will kick those albums asses.

I hope it has blues tunes, rock tunes, swinging tunes, and a ballad or two. I want them to have fun, like on ER, Some Girls, B&B, IORR..........they played fun music that seemed so easy for them to record. Now, I think with some of the songs on B2B, they just worked too hard, meaning tht at sometimes it didn't seem like they felt relaxed. "Don't Stop" is great because they recorded it very quickly and went with the motions, and that is what they need to do. Just roll with it........and get some funked up tunes on the new album. Relax a little bit in the studio and crank up the guitars, drums, bass, and vocals.

Hell, I've heard and seen the titles "Fiji Gin", "Rangoon Monsoon", and "Zipmouth Angel", but never heard the studio outtakes.
Has anybody here heard these outtakes plus others, that if recorded today would be good for a great album?
[Edited by Boomhauer]
[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-03-02 11:07 PM
full moon I have read alot about those tunes also, yet to hear them...
10-03-02 11:09 PM
BILL PERKS BOB CLEARMOUNTAIN IS THE REASON THESE NEW TRACKS SOUND SO GOOD...DRUMS WAY UP FRONT.DON WAS MAY PRODUCE BUT IT STILL COMES DOWN TO THE GLIMMERS CHOOSING SONGS AND IDEAS.I STILL THINK THE REASON THEY DID'NT MAKE A NEW RECORD WAS MICK DID NOT WANT TO FIGHT WITH KEITH AGAIN OVER EVERY DETAIL OF RECORDING AS THEY DID WITH B2B.MICK KNOWS HE CAN GET A RECORD PRODUCED QUICKLY WITH TECHNOLOGY,BUT KEITH WON'T WANT TO DO IT THAT WAY.
10-03-02 11:16 PM
Boomhauer Whoops! I think it the title of one of the outtakes is "Monsoon Rangoon", not "Rangoon Monsoon".

By the way, I like those crab rangoons at the chinese restaurants. They are quite tasty.
[Edited by Boomhauer]
10-03-02 11:21 PM
gotdablouse "Hell, I've heard and seen the titles "Fiji Gin", "Rangoon Monsoon", and "Zipmouth Angel", but never heard the studio outtakes.
Has anybody here heard these outtakes plus others, that if recorded today would be good for a great album? "

There litteraly dozens of these tracks. To see what's available to the (normal) collectors and what's not :-(
Looky here at my website (in a sad state of disrepaid :-(
(sorry for the pup-ups)
http://juiced.hypermart.net/

Yes Bob Cleamountain is DA man! I need to confirm that he hasn't been involved since Tattoo You (other than for remixes). Something tells me he might have been involved with Highwire, their best produced work of the 90s.
10-03-02 11:26 PM
BILL PERKS SO YOUNG WAS DUSTED OFF FOR A 1994 B-SIDE AND WHILE REALLY CLOSE TO THE ORIGINAL SOUNDED AS FRESH AND NEW AS ANYTHING ON VL.YES THEY CAN DO THEM,BUT PROBABLY WON'T BECAUSE ANY SONGWRITER WANTS TO PUSH NEW IDEAS RATHER THAN REHASH OLD ONES
10-03-02 11:30 PM
full moon Bill, there have been many instances when the Stones have brought some" oldies" out of the closet for a new album..Tattoo You, Undercover, and a couple of Steel Wheels b sides... But, probably will be on the "rarities " set , if it happens...
10-03-02 11:38 PM
KeepRigid I think the studio will have to wait until they're through with the cities that require 3 different venues/rehearsals.

I'm really excited about the new album being cut on tour, as I've wanted to see them employ this method again for some time. Instead of trying to repeat the success of their golden period, they're actually repeating the process the produced the albums.

So, not only will they play like a well-oiled machine in the studio, but they will have spent months playing nothing but their best material. Lots of good food for the creative mind.

Logically, they should aim to release it by next spring, so they could tour in support of it on the UK leg of the tour.
10-03-02 11:40 PM
full moon That is my thoughts exactly Rigid...
10-03-02 11:57 PM
sirmoonie Hey gotBlousie, thanks for the link to your site. That is some great info. Love thats stuff. Hope you get chance to update it.

Maybe a stupid question, but if "Available" is "No" how do you know it exists? Just from a session list? Does it also mean that its never been heard oustide of who was there?

Tx in advance.
10-04-02 04:30 AM
gotdablouse Thanks for the kind words.
In fact they've encouraged me to relaunch the site with no pop-ups this time and you can download some of these unreleased tracks.

To answer your question, if it says "no" it means it was mentioned by a reliable source, like Karnbach, or a band member, etc...

new URL

http://glimmers.reallyrules.com
10-04-02 06:08 AM
gypsymofo60 About a year ago I remember reading that The Guys were recording tracks for a new album with 'Fat Boy Slim'????????
10-04-02 08:19 AM
Maxlugar Listen up Maggots!

What we need here is a pile of God damned cocaine and Steve Lilliwhite.

(That should hold the sons of bitches) Oops, was that mic on?

{{{{MAXY!}}}} <----- Reverberations!
10-05-02 11:22 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Listen up Maggots!

What we need here is a pile of God damned cocaine and Steve Lilliwhite.

(That should hold the sons of bitches) Oops, was that mic on?

{{{{MAXY!}}}} <----- Reverberations!

Maxy! No! You keep Steve Lilliwhite busy with that horrid trash known as the Dave Matthews band (and that pile of God damned cocaine) - I'm going to get Jeff Lynne.

-tSYX --- Now that you know who you are, what do you want to be?