ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Giant Stadium, Spetember 28, 2002 by Mark Fisher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Great Stones Article in Wall Street Journal Return to archive
10-03-02 12:00 PM
stonedickie Anybody read the article in the WSJ today by Joe Queenan? It's terrific. After explaining the Stones great staying power and dominance over today's pop musicians, and getting all over the nouveau rock critics who think senior rockers like the Stones should pack it, he ends with the following, and I quote:

"As a baby boomer who recognizes what a long, dark shadow my generation has cast over this society, I would be perfectly willing to accept a mandatory retirement program in which the most recalcitrant '60s dinosaurs check out in descending order of lameness. Billy Joel, Elton John, Rod Stewart and whoever is left in The Who go first. Paul McCartney, because he is a Beatle, and Bob Dylan, because he is Dylan, go next. Neil Young, the Kinks and the Stones go last. And when the crusty old varmints are safely off in the nursing home, here's hoping everyone really enjoys Weezer."

HA! Got THAT right (especially that order of departure--perfect).
10-03-02 03:07 PM
lonecrapshooter Thanks for posting. I thought it was another stupid article. Who cares what these critics think? The tickets are selling in a miserable economy. If a movie stinks it won't draw moviegoers. Same with music. The Stones and others - including Billy Joel, Elton John, Neil Young, will be relevant as long as people want to see them. I saw Chuck Berry not too long ago and he's what 75? He was great. Should this writer stop writing at some point? Not if he is in demand like the Stones are. The best article on the Stones was in Fortune. They give the only argument that matters - supply and demand.
10-03-02 08:20 PM
Pants Make the Man Hey, stonedickie, can you link up that article?