ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Giant Stadium, Spetember 28, 2002 by Mark Fisher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forty Licks Edits And Ghost Tracks? Return to archive
10-02-02 11:12 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy So I really like the ABKCO disc. They did a wonderful job with the remasters, and "Ruby Tuesday" gets my vote for best remastered song out of all the albums. It's so good it's haunting. In fact... screw "Satisfaction", I'm skipping ahead to it again.

I was likin' the Virgin disc... the new songs, except for "Keys To Your Love", are all good. "Don't Stop" is the highlight, "Stealing My Heart" is awesome musically, but marred by "Sharks Will Cry 2" lyrics, and... oh yeah! They *cut down* the horror that was "Fool To Cry"! Now it's only a few minutes of crap! The other edits, "Miss You", "Beast Of Burden", "Anybody Seen My Baby?" they were OK... except one.

"It's Only Rock'n'Roll".

Why the *HELL* did they cut the best part of the song? I am incredibly pissed off. They have a few minutes left on the album - why the fuck not let it run its full length? That final extended jam is the heart and soul of that song, and damn me if this new version doesn't just become the sound equivilent of a premature ejaculation.

If you ask me, while I've actually come to really like "Losing My Touch", if they'd put it second to last and let "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" (The *FULL VERSION*, damnit) end the album, it would have been absolutely fantastic.

And finally, a question - where are these supposed ghost tracks? What are they?

-tSYX --- Who could hang a name on you?
10-02-02 11:35 PM
Boomhauer Yeah, I agree. I new BOB, Miss You, Mixed Emotions, Fool to Cry would be edited.

The edits of Undercover of the Night and ER are not that bad at all.

But taking away the jam at the end of IORR is kind of stupid. You are right though, they could've just swapped IORR and Losing My touch to get the full version of IORR.
10-03-02 12:37 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Resolved: "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" without extended end = suckage.

So what about them ghost tracks?

-tSYX --- You're not the only one...
10-03-02 05:22 PM
JaggeresqueUK On 40 LICK... I also would like ot know the ghost tracks... on Miss You, it sounds alotlike the new Miss You on the Audtin Powers soundrack lol.... and, I hate the fact that they edited it... the only new stones songs i like are Don't Stop and Keys To My Love... the rest are oka...
Anyway, I hope they come out with a NEW album ie: new songs, more than 4. And, the packaging of the 40 Licks is pretty lame too.