ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Giant Stadium, Spetember 28, 2002 by Mark Fisher

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DC Show Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-01-02 12:13 PM
sandrew I'm wondering if they're going to stick to the basic stadium set list, even though they're not playing other venues here. My guess is that they will. No "Knocking" for us DCers. Serves us right for being such a lame-ass market.
10-01-02 01:14 PM
ShannonDC I think you're right - we'll see the same basic stadium show the other cities are getting. But I don't think we're an especially "lame-ass" market. Only New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and LA are getting the multi-show treatment, and they're all bigger cities than DC/Baltimore. I was hoping for a club show here too, but let's face it, they're only doing those a few times and just in the largest places.

But it's gonna be a good time on Friday - let's hope it doesn't rain and the sound doesn't suck.
10-01-02 01:19 PM
jb Have they sold anymore seats yet? Last count, about 40,000.
10-01-02 01:19 PM
jb Have they sold anymore seats yet? Last count, about 40,000.
10-01-02 01:29 PM
winter ShannonDC:

You forgot about BOSTON, - DC, as a market, really has sucked for the Stones this time. After all, Hartford got your Arena show -

Wintah

10-01-02 01:32 PM
jb Hartford still has excellent floor tickets!!! Hard to believe...also, another fox article about poor ticket sdales..they really have it in for the Stones...everyone else is praising this tour like never before...I know O'Reley really went off on the Stones months ago when interviewing the moron who wrote "old gods, almost dead" they must be getting instructions to bash the stones.
10-01-02 01:39 PM
winter Hartford did sell pretty well. Especially for a small city that is sandwiched between a total of 9 shows when you count all of the Boston/NY shows this fall and Jan. For a while it was "Sold Out." The tickets coming up now must be VIP reserves that were taken. All shows have them. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I got 8th row Madonna the day of the show last tour (had to take the girlfriend) and very good U2 seats the day before the show. Both very difficult tickets to come by, whether you like them or not.

Wintah
10-01-02 02:03 PM
sandrew According to Rolling Stone, the tour "stands to rake in over $90 million." So, it seems like high ticket prices are making up for the lack of sell-outs.

It's been a lousy year for the concert market, so I would guess they're pretty pleased with how well they're doing.
10-01-02 05:12 PM
ShannonDC Ooops, I did forget about Boston. But if it wasn't the opener, would it have gotten three shows? I still think Fedex Field is a huge mistake for any band - too big and everyone knows the parking situation stinks. I really wish they'd gone back to RFK where they opened the Voodoo Lounge tour with two shows. It held about 15,000 - 20,000 fewer.

But I doubt the Stones are suffering. They obviously decided they can live with empty seats in exchange for the higher prices. I just checked Ticketmaster and came up with two seats in the 15th row for Fedex Field - that's crazy!
10-01-02 06:39 PM
Factory Girl Hello, DC Stones fans,

I think that Fed Ex will get your stadium set. Get your years perky for Start Me Up, Miss You. HTW, BS and so on.

Its a shame that DC missed an arena show-they SHOULD HAVE BOOKED MCI first.
10-01-02 11:07 PM
BILL PERKS WHATEVER-GO AND ENJOY YOURSELVES,FORGET THE PRESS AND JB'S BULLSHIT.
10-02-02 10:31 AM
jb 15th row fed-ex Bill....I guess I was wrong..I think not!
10-02-02 10:42 AM
Factory Girl Hey jb, are going to be at the Fed Ex show?
10-02-02 10:49 AM
jb No...I will be at both Florida shows, Atlanta, MSG in 03 and Reliant in 03... Have fun!!!
10-02-02 10:56 AM
sandrew JB's very blunt about things we don't necessarily want to hear: namely, that shows aren't selling out. To employ the cliche, don't shoot the messenger!

In any case, the tour is doing fine, even if there are some empty seats. It likely will be the biggest grossing tour of the year.

10-02-02 10:57 AM
Factory Girl jb, what are dates for the Ft. Lauderdale shows?
10-02-02 11:38 AM
jb 10/22 and 23...tuesday and wedesday..just heard radio announcement "The only band to dare play 2 arenas back to back with 2 totally different set lists"..LOL ...that means we will get one show with SFM opening and the next with Brown Sugar!!!
10-02-02 11:39 AM
jb Sandrew..believe me, it pains me to report the average sales in some markets..I have never seena stones tour like this were they can't even sell out 16,000 seat arenas! However, the reviews have been better than ever and you are quite right..no doubt when all said and done, the tour will be biggest of year...
10-02-02 09:14 PM
BILL PERKS THIS WHOLE SELLOUT CRAP IS GETTING OLD.IN 1994 THE STONES DID NOT SELL OUT THEIR SECOND SHOW AT THE VET,1997 ONE SHOW AT THE VET WAS NOT SOLD OUT,1994 INDIANAPOLIS WAS A LITTLE MORE THAN HALF FULL.THIS IS NOT NEW.IT IS NOT 1975 OR 1989.GET OVER IT ALREADY.THERE IS NO SHOOTING THE MESSENGER HERE,ONLY THE POINT IS MOOT.
10-02-02 09:55 PM
sirmoonie Sandrew, I will guarantee you will hear CYHMK at nearly every show on this tour. There is no way they won't play it in DC later this week. And you'll be pleased as piss that they did. It just kicks.
10-02-02 10:40 PM
Maxmeister
quote:
jb wrote:
No...I will be at both Florida shows, Atlanta, MSG in 03 and Reliant in 03... Have fun!!!

Reliant? How about I buy you a drink or two whle you're in town.
There should be some good parties set up. I know Stonesdoug will be in town, also.

Rick
10-03-02 09:52 AM
jb Thanks....I'll by the drinks! Maxmeister..you are not MaxLugar?
10-03-02 02:45 PM
JaggaRichards
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Sandrew, I will guarantee you will hear CYHMK at nearly every show on this tour. There is no way they won't play it in DC later this week. And you'll be pleased as piss that they did. It just kicks.

Hate to say it, but I doubt it. CYHMK hasn't popped up on any stadium setlists. Only clubs and arenas.
Then again it would be nice if I was wrong and they did play it-I heard it at MSG and it f***ing rocked!
10-03-02 03:05 PM
jb I doubt they would play that gem for such a poor selling market..Quite simply, the D.C. area has not earned it.
10-03-02 03:09 PM
sandrew JB, I think you're right, alas. It's strange -- it's not like this is the Midwest. The Baltimore-Washington metro area boasts five million people, many of them well-heeled. Fairfax County, Virginia is one of the richest places in the country.

This is why I said earlier that we are a lame-ass market: We have the money, we have the bodies, many jobs around here are recession-proof. There's no reason why we shouldn't have bought more tickets.
10-03-02 03:14 PM
jb Look, even here in Fla. we sold about 36,000 tickets for the 2 shows...not offical sell outs, but not bad considering Gloria Estefan and Ricky Martin are local icons!!!LOL
10-03-02 03:19 PM
sirmoonie Josh, I'll bet you my next month's 5 figure cha-ching-check (after Ts) that DC gets CYHMK. C'mon flyboy, put your moof where your piss is.

I have ultimate blind faith in my band! Show me the friggin' bridge, baby!
10-03-02 03:21 PM
ShannonDC I just don't see why anyone is surprised that there aren't 50,000+ people in the DC area who want to pay an average of $100+ to see the Stones in the second largest stadium of the US tour - it's huge (75,000) and has legendary traffic problems. Plus many people held out for an MCI show and when that didn't materialize they said "screw it." Maybe they could've sold out two MCI shows for 40,000, but we'll never know.
10-03-02 03:32 PM
sandrew Shannon, I agree completely on that. They shouldn't have gone for the stadium here. The two MCI Center shows in '99 were glorious. The FedEx show of '97 was probably my least favorite Stones experience of all time. (But, then, I did have lousy seats.)

Anyway, you're right. FedEx sucks; traffic is miserable; and I'm sure it was a real turn-off for people.
10-03-02 03:41 PM
jb I hope your right Sirmoonie...it's not like I don't want you to hear such a classic..but why pull it out for the lame D.C. crowd...I bet many of your colleagues would rather watch Robert Novak spew off his anti-Israel shit on Cross-fire at GeorgeTown univ.
Page: 1 2