ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bittersweet Symphony Return to archive
09-30-03 05:28 PM
Some Guy This song was a huge hit wasn't it? Did the Stones really write it and if so why let go of a hit song?
09-30-03 05:36 PM
Gazza They didnt write it.

For the orchestral arrangement,The Verve sampled the arrangement of the Andrew Oldham Orchestra's version of "The Last Time".

So whilst Jagger and Richards didnt compose the arrangement, they wrote the original song that was then rearranged by the ALO and then sampled by The Verve.

Simple,ain't it?
09-30-03 05:42 PM
Some Guy HUH?
09-30-03 05:59 PM
justforyou The Verve�s international smasheroonee �Bitter Sweet Symphony� included a sample from a Rolling Stones song that was the copyright of the former Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham. Oldham successfully sued The Verve for every single cent they made in royalties on the record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/justthejob/followyourdream/hits/c_trivia.shtml

My opinion: The Verve made a cool song and deserve some cents....but tell that to the lawyers...
09-30-03 06:02 PM
Some Guy Yeah, I like the song and when my wife gets home I will find if she has that cd and check the credits
09-30-03 06:04 PM
Some Guy What song was the sample?
09-30-03 10:27 PM
Highwire Rob Wasn't that song used in a Nike commercial (U.S.) or something as well? Did the Stones get a settlement on that advertising revenue?
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
10-01-03 02:13 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
What song was the sample?

Read Gazza's post above...
10-01-03 08:26 AM
Some Guy Got it.
10-01-03 08:53 AM
riffhard64 Simple,ain't it?

Gazza...i think you explained that very succintly...good job!...lol
10-01-03 02:14 PM
Factory Girl Where is Verve now? Are they dating Lenny Kravitz?
10-01-03 07:14 PM
Gazza They split up about 3-4 years ago. Their lead singer and main songwriter Richard Ashcroft has released two (I think) solo albums. Havent heard the 2nd one,but the first one was pretty good!
10-01-03 07:16 PM
Gazza >Wasn't that song used in a Nike commercial (U.S.) or something as well? Did the Stones get a settlement on that advertising revenue?

yep
10-01-03 11:04 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
They split up about 3-4 years ago. Their lead singer and main songwriter Richard Ashcroft has released two (I think) solo albums. Havent heard the 2nd one,but the first one was pretty good!

Gazza
This is someguys wife..and I have to agree with you. Richard Ashcroft's 1st one was awesome. I have the second one, it is not so bad, but does not match up.
10-01-03 11:28 PM
Some Guy Can anybody see my avatar?
10-01-03 11:38 PM
MarthaMyDear I LOVE that song by The Verve and it was, also, in the movie, Cruel
Intentions, wasn't it?!?!?! EXCELLENT
MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is, I think (at the end)... I thought the acting in that movie was
pretty, darn good!!! Funny and sad...

*** Martha ***
10-01-03 11:46 PM
sirmoonie Terrible advice those poor guys got. From what I understand, the bulk of royalties went to J/R and for what? You can't even tell what sample is in there. They could have just hired some outfit to play whatever instrumentation they needed.

Fantastic tune though. Nothing else on that album comes close.
[Edited by sirmoonie]
10-01-03 11:51 PM
MarthaMyDear Yea, that's messed-up... I might buy Richard Ashcroft's CDs, though... Thank you for the heads-up, Gazza!!!

*** Martha ***
10-02-03 02:25 AM
stonedinaustralia i thought the J/R share of the royalties went to "honest" al klein (not andreww loog)- i doubt mick or keith saw a cent from it

the verve (or at least the songwriters) must have got half the royalties - they did, after all, write the lyrics themselves
10-02-03 09:26 AM
Some Guy i was listening to this album last night, I think that song is ok.
10-02-03 11:11 AM
Soldatti The song reaches No. 2 in England and No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.
10-02-03 02:13 PM
Some Guy cool