ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Extreme western grip Return to archive
09-30-03 05:00 PM
SirMuddy Here's what I found on google for "extreme western grip"...
Maybe a first Jagger-McEnroe-Richards credit?!?

Extreme Western Grip

Hi

My ten year old daughter is being taught the extreme western grip and is hitting the ball on the opposite side of the racquet, like Berestreu gli(Spanish pro). I am uncomfortable with this grip because we live in the northeast of the U.S. Should I intersede with her tennis coach? I'm told by others that she will have a hard time when she's 14 years old, as her opponents will slice low to her. It was also said that it is too much for her arm.

Jon Ottens, Short Hills, NJ, USA

Reply...

Jon

A parent certainly has the right to discuss with a tennis coach the rationale for specific training and technique. You are right that an extreme western grip is not a technique typically taught to such a young player who will primarily play on hard courts. It is possible that the extreme grip and topspin of this style of stroke will be hard on your daughters wrist and arm. Extreme spin strokes require very high racket head speeds to maintain ball speed into the court and depth of placement. We would recommend eastern forehand grips and, maybe, semiwestern for young developing players. We would prefer that young players work on moderate spin groundstrokes with grips that don't require exaggerated wrist action. There is always time later to adjust the grip and develop strokes with more topspin.

Duane Knudson, PhD, California State University, USA
Bruce Elliott, PhD, The University of Western Australia, Australia
09-30-03 05:30 PM
Gazza > I'm told by others that she will have a hard time when she's 14 years old, as her opponents will slice low to her. It was also said that it is too much for her arm.

Sounds like Bill Wyman might have had something to do with this too!

Interesting find....does it say anything for "Well Well" ?

09-30-03 07:12 PM
gotdablouse For "Well, Well", it says the lyrics are...well, almost as good as on "Cook Cook Blues" ;-)
09-30-03 08:49 PM
Child of the Moon It's about TENNIS? Oh, man, I thought it was just another term for, y'know... auditioning the bald champ, if you know what I mean...

This is my college edu-ma-cation at work.
10-01-03 02:34 PM
Monkey Woman The tennis song!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

Remember, in "Being Mick", when they are in the studio and watch a tennis match on a little TV set, between takes? He must have done it again last year in Paris. May and June... He didn't want to miss Roland-Garros!
10-01-03 04:37 PM
SirMuddy and here's the link that explain it all:
http://ask.elibrary.com/login.asp?c=&host=ask%2Eelibrary%2Ecom&script=%2Fgetdoc%2Easp&query=pubname%3DReuters%5FNews%5FPictures%5FService%26puburl%3Dhttp%7EC%7E%7ES%7E%7ES%7Ewww%2Eonline%2Ereuters%2Ecom%26querydocid%3D30621873%40urn%3Abigchalk%3AUS%3BLib%26dtype%3D1%7E1%7E1%7E2%7E0%7E0%26dinst%3D0%7E0%7E0%26author%3DMIKE%2520SEGAR%2520%2520%26title%3DKEITH%2520RICHARDS%2520LAUGHS%2520WITH%2520JOHN%2520MCENROE%2520%2520%26date%3D09%2F09%2F1999%26refid%3Dency%5Fbotpm&title=KEITH+RICHARDS+LAUGHS+WITH+JOHN+MCENROE++&pubname=Reuters%5FNews%5FPictures%5FService&author=MIKE+SEGAR++&date=09%2F09%2F1999&ctrlInfo=&refid=ency_botpm

Ouach it's awfull! Sorry! I also have a better pic in my pc but I don't know how to stick it on the board...
Anyway, search a bit and you'll find... a bit!
10-01-03 05:49 PM
KeepRigid I disagree. It's a very good game, but I think Diddy Runs the Pity is the best game ever.
10-01-03 07:40 PM
LadyJane TENNIS? My ass.......it's a Rolling Stones song.....surely it has some sexual meaning!

LadyJ.