ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DVD BOX SET DELAYED Return to archive Page: 1 2
09-29-03 06:42 AM
balk Just check the first who offered it: www.ezydvd.com.au

DELAYED 'TILL FURTHER NOTICE

Let's just all wait 'till the official press release
09-29-03 08:46 AM
steel driving hammer I told you so.
09-29-03 12:40 PM
jb it looked boring anyway...why would you want msg 03which was readily available...
09-29-03 12:42 PM
Angiegirl In the end it will be a 1 or 2 DVD set (coz 4 is too expensive, won't sell, nobody will take that risk) with only HBO warhorses material, completely edited, added studio guitars etc. And 10 minutes of quotes and backstage footage that has already been featured in the 40 Licks specials worldwide.

Is that what you mean SDH?
09-29-03 01:10 PM
steel driving hammer No not really, but you and I know there'l be club shows on it.

We can do nothing but wait my dear.

Been wanting to ask you is the Afsluitdijk bridge a nice drive?

I really wanted to rent a car and drive there but my Demons got the best of me.

09-29-03 02:00 PM
Gazza >it looked boring anyway...why would you want msg 03which was readily available...

to who exactly? The people who lived in the US and who had HBO and who taped it? You kind of forget (surprise!) most Stones fans a) dont live in the US b) dont have HBO and c) dont collect bootleg videos/DVD's

Dont fucking buy it then. They'll hardly lose sleep. Maybe you could suggest what SHOULD have been on it from the last tour? Keith smoking a joint in his Amsterdam hotel? Ronnie picking his nose by the pool in Florida?

supposedly the cost of the 4-DVD set is around 60 Euros. Pretty decent value,I'd say.

[Edited by Gazza]
09-29-03 02:55 PM
Child of the Moon I like the way you think, Gazza. I'll be there to buy it when it comes out, that's for sure. I think it's more than worth the price of admission for two main things: Keith doing "Nearness of You"... and the new track, "Extreme Western Grip," purely for the title.
09-29-03 02:57 PM
steel driving hammer I'd bet in the next few days there'l be an MP3 of Extreme Western Grip.
09-29-03 02:59 PM
steel driving hammer I think Extreme Western Grip will be a another war song like Highwire.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
09-29-03 03:01 PM
KeithRichards210 [quote]Gazza wrote:
>to who exactly? The people who lived in the US and who had HBO and who taped it? You kind of forget (surprise!) most Stones fans a) dont live in the US b) dont have HBO and c) dont collect bootleg videos/DVD's

Dont fucking buy it then. They'll hardly lose sleep. Maybe you could suggest what SHOULD have been on it from the last tour? Keith smoking a joint in his Amsterdam hotel? Ronnie picking his nose by the pool in Florida?

supposedly the cost of the 4-DVD set is around 60 Euros. Pretty decent value,I'd say.[quote]

I have to agree here. Sure, I saw the HBO special, and have the boot cd's and video. But not everybody has that kind of access to the material. Either you want it or you don't. But don't slag the product just because it's not your cup of tea. Besides, they may remaster the HBO segment to a point where it's better than the boots. I plan on getting the set, that's for sure!

[Edited by KeithRichards210]
09-29-03 03:07 PM
jb Gazza, I was at both the 1/16 and 1/18 shows(I paid a little over 8k for 4 tickets)and believe me , you missed nothing....indeed, I thoughtthe 1/16 show was actually better.....I have the boot dvd from 1/18 and it is dreadful....IMO, it is not worth listening to any boots post the Mick taylor era with the exception of Handsome Girls and LA Friday.....Gazza, if you ever make it to South Fla. I will buy you something .......What size are you...about a 38 short?
[Edited by jb]
09-29-03 04:32 PM
cwatts0462 delayed until when
09-29-03 04:38 PM
jb you reach 6k posts.
09-29-03 04:43 PM
Joey " You kind of forget (surprise!) most Stones fans a) dont live in the US b) dont have HBO "

Oh Oh .................there it is again .

Still , you all have to agree that since America is such a large country , fifty shows just AIN'T goona cut it -- all the more reason to extend the tour into 2004 .

09-29-03 04:45 PM
jb Plus, we liberated the freedom loving people in Iraq.
09-29-03 04:49 PM
Joey " Plus, we liberated the freedom loving people in Iraq. "

Why stop there .....................?

Western Europe in 1945

South Korea in 1953

Vietnam in ..................Whoops ( sorry , forgot )

Eastern Europe in 1989

Russia in 1992

Afghanistan in 2001/02

Iraq 2003 ( pending )

...............................and some say the United States does not deserve any more STONES !

..............BOLLOCKS !!!!! ......................

D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca !

09-29-03 04:56 PM
steel driving hammer Thats another "Gassy" to put on your shelf my Joey!

Word to the Free World!
09-29-03 04:58 PM
Joey " Thats another "Gassy" to put on your shelf my Joey!

Word to the Free World! "

Word to your Mother my Baby Steelie !

Go BEARS !!!!
09-29-03 05:11 PM
Gazza >Gazza, I was at both the 1/16 and 1/18 shows(I paid a little over 8k for 4 tickets)and believe me , you missed nothing....

>well I do have both shows on CD plus the video of 18.1.03. Can't say I agree.

indeed, I thoughtthe 1/16 show was actually better.....I have the boot dvd from 1/18 and it is dreadful....IMO, it is not worth listening to any boots post the Mick taylor era with the exception of Handsome Girls and LA Friday.....

with respect,I've about 95% of the shows that are in circulation since the "Mick Taylor era" so I have to disagree. Ive also pretty much all of the shows in circulation DURING the "Mick taylor" era and they have their fair share of stinkers as well. Jagger's on-stage singing is ten times better since 1989, for a start. It begs the question though, if you're so keen to write the post-1973 Stones off as a live act,why waste your money in going to see them, and in paying so much money to watch crap? I dont understand that logic at all. Is it so you can tell people how much $$ you spent for a product you didnt need or even like? LOL

>Gazza, if you ever make it to South Fla. I will buy you something .......What size are you...about a 38 short?

no, I'm an 8' fucking huge. LOL (I wish). Unlike most people I know from here,I havent holidayed in Fla. yet, but you never know. Thanks for the offer...!
09-29-03 05:23 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Gazza wrote:
It begs the question though, if you're so keen to write the post-1973 Stones off as a live act,why waste your money in going to see them, and in paying so much money to watch crap? I dont understand that logic at all. Is it so you can tell people how much $$ you spent for a product you didnt need or even like? LOL

We have a winner!!
09-29-03 05:23 PM
Gazza >Oh Oh .................there it is again . Still , you all have to agree that since America is such a large country , fifty shows just AIN'T goona cut it -- all the more reason to extend the tour into 2004 .

You miss my point,my paddy-fields wandering, Vietcong dodging buddy.. Most Stones fans (and I DO believe that this DVD set is being released WORLDWIDE) dont have access to HBO (shit,most AMERICANS dont even have HBO!) so JB saying its something that everyone has already doesnt add up.

To answer your point,Joey,of course,US is the number 1 market but I think they've milked the market for this tour by now. Plus, the US got 50 or so shows for 290 million people. Thats actually only approximately the combined population of the UK,Germany,France,Italy and Spain and in fact ALL of Europe actually got a similar amount of shows to North America.

I dont think either Europe or North America has been shortchanged for shows. i think we've done pretty well as far as the amount of gigs we got is concerned. It'd be nice to get more shows in 2004, but if any place has the right to be crying for shows in 2004, its the countries in Latin America who still havent seen the band on this tour.
09-29-03 05:43 PM
Joey " I dont think either Europe or North America has been shortchanged for shows. i think we've done pretty well as far as the amount of gigs we got is concerned. It'd be nice to get more shows in 2004, but if any place has the right to be crying for shows in 2004, its the countries in Latin America who still havent seen the band on this tour. "

I beg to differ my Guinness loving mate , The U.S. AND some parts of Europe HAVE INDEED been shortchanged for gigs because the band spent waaay too much time in Japan and Australia . ( Don't even get me started about the dozen shows they boys played in Germany alone -- CHRIST !!! )

The United States is absolutely SCREAMING for more Stones -- we are not sated ................and everyone knows that only a sated United States ( and young Joey ) is a Happy Nation ( Happy Joe ) .

As far as Latin America goes ................Well :

Edited by the Joey

09-29-03 06:12 PM
Gazza mm..Japan - population 110 million. No.of shows : 6. length of tour : 12 days

They didnt play Australia on the last tour and only played three cities there this time. hardly overkill.

PS : I dont like Guinness that much!
09-29-03 06:58 PM
kahoosier I have to agree with Gazza on this...to all you Mick Taylor Fans...there were a good number of bad shows with him and the boots exist to prove it. AND SOMETIMES IT IS HIS FAULT!So don't immediately say "Keith was on smack!"
I have boots where the band is doing OK, but MT seems to be in his own world playing an endless stream of his technically proficient "fluid" blues scales. Those endless solos seem to have little to do with what the rest of the band is doing, and there certainly is no weaving.Heck, that is how I practice my lead...lol...put on a CD, plug in a guitar, and play up and down the fret board during the whole song!And if Ronnie has more stinkers to his credit, its because he has been there 5-6 times as long!

How about some real heresy? MT was around for minimal if any LIB. He was there on SF, but mostly did what he was told. Exile no one can argue with. But by the time of the albums he claims to have the most influence on, GHS & IORR,the Stones were at one of their critical low points!Oh yeah, great lead on Time Waits for No One...but if we are all honest there are a countless number that can play like this, and I will bet that there are people on this baord that can duplicate it.

MT is a fine guitarist, no argument. He WAS a Rolling Stone, and that is a claim to near rock and roll deity. He deserves his place in history. He was not and is not perfect, he certainly never was the be all and end all of the Rolling Stones.
09-29-03 07:22 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
kahoosier wrote:

MT is a fine guitarist, no argument. He WAS a Rolling Stone, and that is a claim to near rock and roll deity. He deserves his place in history. He was not and is not perfect, he certainly never was the be all and end all of the Rolling Stones.

As much as I'm a Taylor fan, I have no argument here. He's a superior guitarist to Wood, but still I realize there was more to the Stones than Taylor back in those peak years. Such as Keith's tough-as-nails rhythm. Mick Jagger's growl. Bill & Charlie laying that groove down. I do believe that Taylor got screwed out of songwriting credits at times, etc. But that's the Stones. Woody is smarter in one sense-this is THEE gig in rock & roll, and you'd better just roll with it, or get trampled underfoot...

09-29-03 07:37 PM
Sir Stonesalot Right on Kahoosier!

And you know what else?

Mick Taylor isn't Jewish. I don't think he plays football either.

So tell me, if you were the captain of a jewish football team, and you were set to play the hindu team...who would you want at quarterback? Remember, the hindus blitz like motherfuckers. You gotta have a guy with a quick release, and some mobility.

Any ideas?

And don't try to change subjects either. Jew. Quarterback. Who.
09-29-03 07:45 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Right on Kahoosier!

And you know what else?

Mick Taylor isn't Jewish. I don't think he plays football either.

So tell me, if you were the captain of a jewish football team, and you were set to play the hindu team...who would you want at quarterback? Remember, the hindus blitz like motherfuckers. You gotta have a guy with a quick release, and some mobility.

Any ideas?

And don't try to change subjects either. Jew. Quarterback. Who.

Go with Woody Allen. Period. Throw a pork chop at him and he'll run like hell...
09-29-03 07:53 PM
glencar While I'm not going to turn my nose up a DVD release of that HBO show, Joshy is right about one single point - the 16/01/03 show(1-16-03 for freedom fightin' Americans!) was better than the latter show.
09-29-03 08:39 PM
Angiegirl Hmmm, indeed, nobody got too little I guess (except Holland with 6 shows only, which is a loss compared to Bridges (8 shows, all large-size) . Hey, we have almost 16 million people here!

Anyway, I thought the HBO show was very bad indeed. But I still rather have HBO on it than let's say Amsterdam Aug 19, which was a low point of the tour (maybe together with Paris stadium). Too bad they didn't film Prague, now THAT was a great large show!! YCAGWYW right? Still, nice to see Olympia on it if it all works out, and hopefully not too much editing, even though it maybe wasn't the best club, it was for me! Can't wait to see footage of that show, I now can only playback in my memory, and isn't it amazing how much details you tend to forget after queueing for 2 days at the club to score a ticket??

And, 60 euro's for 4 DVD's is really decent I think. I expected it to be much more expensive. Now let's hope they don't read this, or they will raise the price...
09-29-03 10:23 PM
Lazy Bones I truely believe (to continue patriotic defense on not enough Stones in your country) Canada was short-changed. With 30+ million people, only 4 shows (not including Downsview) - one being the Palais.

Biggest surprise is no shows west of Toronto with only one (Montreal) not in T.O.
Page: 1 2