ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ciombra, Portugal, 09-27-03/setlist/reviews Return to archive
09-28-03 09:26 AM
LadyJane From IORR:

The set list
Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Don't Stop
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Miss You
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Slipping Away (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Sympathy For The Devil
It's Only Rock'n Roll (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Street Fighting Man (B-stage)
Gimme Shelter
Paint It Black
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

Review by Bj�rnulf Vik

By 10:07 the microphone and the water cups were in place. One minute later they turned off the lights in the stadium, while the background music was still playing from the tape. First time that has happened, but then everybody went wild of course, and the introduction music did not really get the buildup attention it use to get, as the madness was there alread 100%.

Brown Sugar. Bobby was back on saxophone. Start Me Up. Everybody was jumping up and down, like they only do in Buenos Aires. Mick is shouting: "Ola Coimbra! Ola Portugal!" Then You Got Me Rocking, as the monitor screens are rolling in from the stage sides, and even the fans in the far away upper level opposite the stage is now happy - I am sure they were happy even before, as when I looked around, all I could see was hands in the air and smiling faces.

Angie. Singalong. "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Mick does not need to sing it, really, as it is all done by the crowd. Mick is smiling. He is indeed happy with his crowd tonight. He even screams so loud and s strong at one point I can hear his voice is breaking completely, but no worries, as we can hear later on in the show, his voice is absolutely perfect all through.

The rest of the show is just a dream come through. We get "Like A Rolling Stone" on the small stage because they did not play Portugal during the previous tour. I wished for "Out Of Control" when I realized that fact, but there was not any space for it tonight. Still no worries. Who would take away "Paint It Black", or some of the other songs?

Gimme Shelter was the song when Mick really would tell us how great his voice was tonight. You know when he feels 110% safe with his voice, he is always working on topping LIsa's parts with his own vocals, and that was what he did tonight. His vocal parts were just amazing. And Keith, all those great and strong licks! By the way, I forgot, almost, but Slipping Away was the most beautiful version I have heard tonight, everybody just stood still listening, no talking or beer hunting, just pure listening and some cheering of course as the song built up, and to the point where Keith is doing the great solo playing during the second half of the song.

Sympathy For The Devil? Also great! Satisfaction? The entire crowd is just going mad! Keith is over on my side playing the solo bit in the end, and I am enjoying every bit of it.

Time to go home. Or at least move on to the next show. Such a great show. And such a great small medium sized city, where you can walk in half an hour or so from the show, and you are back "home" in the center of the city. The train from Porto to Coimbra took almost 3 hours but I enjoyde every minute, even in this 100 km journey. May be I find a faster train back up to Porto on my return. Two shows left. Then I hear the crew is tagging some of the equipment cases "China" now, so there will be more shows after Z�rich, probably...

09-28-03 09:39 AM
Monkey Woman Thanks a lot, LJ! Glad to see they had a great night in Portugal. I notice that places where the Stones didn't go on their previous tour now give them an amazing welcome: Italy, Portugal... Maybe that'll encourage them to do another tour soon... Let's hope so!
09-28-03 09:44 AM
Monkey Woman From Shidoobee: picture in a local paper.

09-28-03 07:23 PM
Madafaka Thank you for the setlist!
You're the best!
09-29-03 09:36 AM
jb Was it sold out?
09-29-03 11:35 AM
Monkey Woman New title for you, jb:
Beware, obsessive Billboardaholic!!