ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Replacements Return to archive
09-26-03 04:09 PM
Vinyl kills Anybody on this board dig this band? Super good. Here's a little blurb from their singer, Stones related.

"I realized something along the way that there was something more important than the jivery* of success. That whatever I'd done, there was a place in the heart and soul of some people that my music touched. You know, I loved Slade and T. Rex when I was 13, but they never touched my soul like the Rolling Stones." Not long ago, Keith Richards sent a hello via a mutual friend, and this floored Westerberg..."I thought, Well, there you go. Whether I sell another record or not, the Rolling Stones are saying hello to me...This was my boyhood dream: not to be a star, but to simply have the acknowledgment of my heroes. Fuck the rest of the world." A sly smile breaks around the corners of his mouth. "Now if I can only get Dylan to come around."
09-26-03 06:12 PM
catwoman Are they a British band? I actually like the Proclaimers - with those heavy Scottish accents. They look like cousins of Elvis Costello.

I guess I'll give the Replacements a listen if I can figure out this kazaa thing. My daughter's boyfriend fixed it on my computer, but he's in jail for 3 months. Pity. He was my music man and did all this funky stuff on my computer.
09-26-03 07:42 PM
purrcafe The Replacements were the best American band of the '80s, hands down. From Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash through Pleased to Meet Me, they were just unbeatable. Great, great rockers and really poignant ballads. Great live as well, as long as you didn't catch a show where they were totally fucked up. If I had to be pinned down, I'd recommend Let It Be. Caught a Paul Westerberg show last year and was really disappointed though.
09-26-03 09:49 PM
Vinyl kills Really? I hear his latest solo album "Stereo/Mono" is real good. Read some reviews were they compared his guitar playing to Keef's.
09-26-03 10:49 PM
mac_daddy stereo/mono is pretty good; I saw him the week it came out at an in-store show at amoeba records. It was pretty good, but I heard some of his shows in support the albums were a little lacking...
09-26-03 11:15 PM
FPM C10 The Replacements were indeed a MAGNIFICENT band. I really love "Pleased To Meet Me", which was recorded as a trio with just Paul on guitar. The first song, "IOU", is the most arresting album opener since "Safe European Home", and ends with the sound of the crash cymbal falling off its stand and hitting the floor. Just perfect rawkinroll.

Their "golden period" is generally figured to include "Tim", "Let It Be", and "Pleased To Meet Me", but there's decent stuff on "Hootenanny" and "Don't Tell A Soul" too. Did I forget one? If you wanna hear them drunk doing covers of Kiss songs, search out the bootleg "The Shit Hits The Fans".
09-26-03 11:41 PM
Vinyl kills Yeah, I'm want to hear that bootleg. I hear they also cover "Ace of spades", "Iron man" and a bunch of other goodies. I really dig their early full on punk stuff too. The STINK ep rocks big time.
09-27-03 01:34 AM
sammy davis jr. Saw the Mono/Stereo tour....it was just Paul and mostly electric guitar. I was a bit disappointed there was no band. He was raggedy and sloppy, but it was pretty cool. I do like the Grandpa Boy CD alot- good old raunchy guitar- no overdubs, mistakes and all. That's Rock N' Roll.
09-27-03 01:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot I saw him last year in a dinky little club in Lancaster PA. What a fun show. Pulled a good tape too.

The 'Mats are right up there with the Pixies for me. I like "Tim" and "Pleased To Meet Me", but "Let It Be" is worthy too. If you don't want to track a bunch of albums down, just get the 2 disc "best of" set.
09-27-03 03:14 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I saw him last year in a dinky little club in Lancaster PA. What a fun show. Pulled a good tape too.

hmmm...

wanna trade a copy of your tape for a copy of the white stripes show I pulled tuesday..? we might have to work another trade, amigo
09-27-03 06:38 AM
catwoman strange - I did a search for The Replacements and got a few of their songs -but why does Gloria Gaynor's I will survive come up a few times?
09-27-03 08:24 AM
72Tele They were and continue to be through the solo work of Paul Westerberg to me creators of some of the best rock and roll music in the last 20 years. Its all good every note. Some doesn't hit you over the head like say JJF but some will. But if you give it enough time it will all grab you. Paul plays great fat, sloppy I think Keith influeced guitar. Great sound combined with passion and emotion. And always a good sense of humor. Paul did a great solo version of JJF on many nights of his last tour. If you can get it off the net do it. Great version.
Go to fat possom.com to download two songs off Paul's alter ego "
Grandpa boy" new record. It's all Blues, Rock and Roll and Country. It comes out in Oct. This is the record the Stones need to make. Great guitar sound.
09-27-03 03:44 PM
glencar I first heard their stuff from "Don't Tell A Soul" but they only got better going through the catalogue. They had some fine videos.
09-27-03 08:39 PM
Busch1 Paul Westerberg continues to put out outstanding material. I was lucky enough to have had an advance listen to his new album, "Come Feel Me Tremble," which is due out Oct. 21. It is one of the best albums I've heard in years. Maybe his best work EVER, including Replacements stuff. He's got three albums of new material coming out in the next six months, and is planning a tour for next year. Go see him! You won't be disappointed.
09-29-03 04:11 PM
mac_daddy is this one any good?

Replacements
"Live At Lingerie"
recorded live at Club Lingerie
Los Angeles, CA
10-26-1984

1. Hay Day
2. Color Me Impressed
3. Baby Strange
4. Unsatisfied
5. Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out
6. Can't Hardly Wait
7. I Will Dare
8. Black Diamond
9. God Damn Job
10. Take Me Down to the Hospital
11. Johnny's Gonna Die
12. Yeah Yeah
13. Hear You Been to College
14. Gary's Got a Boner
15. Kids Don't Follow
16. Hitchin' a Ride
17. Answering Machine
18. Run It
19. We're Comin' Out
20. Customer

471.20 MB
09-29-03 04:19 PM
patioaintdry A great band, sorely missed. They got a bit 'lame' when Paul sobered up, but i still have fond memories of seeing them in '87 at St. Andrews Hall, Detroit. A killer, drunken set that included an excellent stab at Gimme Shelter.
09-29-03 09:26 PM
Vinyl kills Here's a lil' info on that "LINGERIE" boot:

http://www.22designs.com/foshaytower2/lingerie_net.html