ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The late Johnny Cash and the immortal Keef playing "Big River"
7th Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony
Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York City - January 15, 1992
By Mark Seliger - with thanks to... me LOL

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will "Don't Stop" be a new anthem??? Return to archive
09-22-03 12:19 AM
Boomy Do you guys and gals think "Don't Stop" will be a staple in Stones' setlists to come or will it be like the last couple of tours were they have songs from the most recent album and just forget about it after the tour?

From what I've gathered, it's a good sing-a-long for the crowd. But is it strong enough to go on the next tour???

[Edited by Boomy]
09-22-03 12:33 AM
glencar I thought Saint Of Me would be an anthem but no such luck. I think Don't Stop (which I like more) will meet the same fate.
09-22-03 01:26 AM
egon this song should be buried, buried fast!

And while they're at it maybe the could bury 'keys to your love' & 'stealing my heart' as well.

it's time to shape up and record something serious.
09-22-03 01:48 AM
riffhard64 I like it better than Start me Up
09-22-03 04:28 AM
Diedre But isn't "Don't Stop" a relative of "Start Me Up"? It has a chance to stay in the set for that reason. It has meaning, if you know what I mean.

A lot of people don't like "You Got Me Rocking," either, but that one keeps coming around. You have to try to at least include a couple of songs that aren't over 15 years old.
09-22-03 04:30 AM
riffhard64 But isn't "Don't Stop" a relative of "Start Me Up"?

oh sure..they are all"cousins"
09-22-03 04:32 AM
dealer squealing "will it be like the last couple of tours were they have songs from the most recent album and just forget about it after the tour?"

Why can�t they forget about You Got Me Rocking??
09-22-03 05:06 AM
Doxa "But is it strong enough to go on the next tour???"

Next tour? Nice to know that there are people with optimism.

Doxa
09-22-03 09:15 AM
steel driving hammer I really think the Stones will tour into 2010.
09-22-03 10:02 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
glencar wrote:
I thought Saint Of Me would be an anthem but no such luck. I think Don't Stop (which I like more) will meet the same fate.

I prefer Saint Of Me, for me it's the answer to Sympathy for the Devil as I think that in this song Mick is now more accepting for himself and he doesn't court any sympathy from anyone anymore.
I really love the Bridges to Babylon album, love Anybody Seen My Baby, Out of Control, Flip the Switch, Saint of Me, Might as well get Juiced and of course Thief in The Night.

SAINT OF ME
(Jagger/Richards)

Saint Paul the persecutor
Was a cruel and sinful man
Jesus hit him with a blinding light
And then his life began
I said yeah
I said yeah

Augustin knew temptation
He loved women, wine and song
And all the special pleasures
Of doing something wrong
I said yeah
I said yeah

I said yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
You'll never make a saint of me
Oh yeah, oh yeah

And could you stand the torture
And could you stand the pain
Could you put your faith in Jesus
When you're burning in the flames

And I do believe in miracles
And I want to save my soul
And I know that I'm a sinner
I'm gonna die here in the cold
I said yes, I said yeah

Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah

I thought I heard an angel cry
I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye

John the Baptist was a martyr
But he stirred up Herod's hate
And Salome got her wish
To have him served up on a plate
I said yes
I said yeah

Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah

I thought I heard an angel cry
I thought I saw a teardrop falling from his eye
I thought I saw an angel cry

09-22-03 10:13 AM
steel driving hammer I remember when I first heard Saint Of Me.

It was Tuesday and the boss made everybody stay late that night because of the 3rd quarter udate we had to do.

Got home around 1200 AM, popped open a nice bottle of wine, and sucked it right out of the bottle whilst on my way to the 24 hour Wal*mart to get Bridges. I must have played SOM 30 times and felt so alive and that anything was possible! It was so fucking good.

I stayed up until 4:30 that night, woke up at 6, went back to work, then came home and did it all over again...
09-22-03 10:19 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
I remember when I first heard Saint Of Me.

It was Tuesday and the boss made everybody stay late that night because of the 3rd quarter udate we had to do.

Got home around 1200 AM, popped open a nice bottle of wine, and sucked it right out of the bottle whilst on my way to the 24 hour Wal*mart to get Bridges. I must have played SOM 30 times and felt so alive and that anything was possible! It was so fucking good.

I stayed up until 4:30 that night, woke up at 6, went back to work, then came home and did it all over again...

Have you seen the video to it? Oh My God, Mick looks so gorgeous in that! I love the way Keith is using a sink to prop his leg up so he can rest his guitar on it in the background. I think Saint of Me should definitely have been a staple song like Satisfaction, I think we can pretty much forget Honky Tonk Women, not one of my faves I must say, always skip Country Honk as it's called on the Let it Bleed album.

I have an idea for a new topic, your fantasy set list, listing 20 songs.
09-22-03 12:00 PM
Monkey Woman Yeah, it's too bad they didn't play things like Saint Of Me much, this tour. I think B2B was a pretty strong album, with lots of good songs. Funny coincidence, anyway, because I had just put that album in the CD-player before logging into the board today! I like Don't Stop a lot, too. Good singalong tune, nice solo from Ronnie, and as for the lyrics... Vintage Mick!

"The way you bit my lip and you drew first blood
It warmed my cold, cold heart
And you wrote your name right on my back
Boy, your nails were sharp
But don't stop
Honey, don't stop!"
09-22-03 12:01 PM
72Tele "Don't Stop" a anthem? Yeah at least for a few more months then gone like a much better "love is strong". I loved Saint of Me and thought for sure it would be a hit and a classic. I don't know if this has even has a thing to do with it but Keith had not a thing to do with it. Didn't co-write it or even play on it. The single from Steel Wheals was good also I thought. Why these songs die on the vine is a intersting question. As for "Don't Stop" put me down in the it's horrid column. Wimp pop rock with horrid lyrics. Who is playing the guitars on that one the boys from "The Knack".
09-22-03 01:25 PM
Boomy A song they should play it Too Tight. I cranked that song up in my car earlier today and it was great.
09-22-03 03:03 PM
Factory Girl Stones should write another primal blues anthem...like they use to! They can still pull it out...
09-22-03 10:15 PM
Steel Wheels Egon, are you a Bran Van 3000 fan?
09-23-03 06:29 AM
egon nope.

i only know that song 'drinking in LA'.
one day (when being extremely bored) i decided to find out where they were from, and stumbled upon their site.
so that's how i found the pic.

why, are you?
09-23-03 09:48 AM
sammy davis jr. Don't Sto[ isn't strong enough to be an anthem..... it will fade into oblivion.
09-23-03 10:27 AM
glencar JaggerLips, you ahve great taste! BTW There are quite a few songs that Keith had little to do with. Moonlight Mile was done w/o his help.
09-24-03 03:29 PM
jb "You make Joey masturbate"
09-24-03 03:36 PM
Joey " You make Joey masturbate" "

www.TinaJordan.com

I danced with Linda
I danced with Jean
I danced with Cindy
Then I suddenly see .............

Mary-Anne with the shaky hands
What they've done to her man
Those shaky hands

Mary is so pretty
The prettiest in the land
Guys come from every city
Just to shake her shaky hands

Linda can cook
Jean reads books
Cindy can sew
But I'd rather know ...............

Mary-Anne with the shaky hands
What they've done to her man
Those shaky hands

Jerky !

09-24-03 04:49 PM
egon joey,

thanks for that link.

i owe you.... i owe you BIG
09-24-03 05:50 PM
Joey " joey,

thanks for that link.

i owe you.... i owe you BIG "

Enjoy my Brother ......................

Here is another :

www.ChristiShake.com

09-25-03 02:00 AM
glencar Well, I shot my wad. G'nite everybody!
09-25-03 06:52 AM
egon
quote:
Joey wrote:
" joey,

Here is another :

www.ChristiShake.com

you spoil me
09-29-03 09:33 AM
JaggerLips
quote:
glencar wrote:
JaggerLips, you ahve great taste! BTW There are quite a few songs that Keith had little to do with. Moonlight Mile was done w/o his help.

What makes you think I have great taste? hehehe
Mick and Keith can do things on their own and still sound top quality.

Sympathy for The Devil was all Mick wasn't it?
09-29-03 11:32 AM
Monkey Woman The words and the melody are all Mick, but in the studio, Keith changed the rythm to a samba groove (it was a kind of folk song ala Bob Dylan in the beginning). Which, of course, completely changed the "feel" of the song.

For a classic song that Mick wrote on his own: Brown Sugar. And Keith wrote Gimme Shelter pretty much on his own.

For a discussion of SFTD and its evolution, see this great website:
http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOSympathy.html