ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Monumental Plaza de Toros, Barcelona, España 11 de junio de 1976
© 1976 Alma María Rico - Dedicado a Montana!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Quick Brian Jones question Return to archive
September 28th, 2004 06:01 PM
Vinyl kills Sometimes I read that he played the "recorder" during a session. What is that exactly?

Thanks alot!
September 28th, 2004 06:14 PM
kath
[Edited by kath]

http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/rec_ten.wav
[Edited by kath]
September 28th, 2004 06:57 PM
CS
September 28th, 2004 07:12 PM
CotchfordCat I'm no musician, but as far as I can recall, a recorder is a woodwind instrument which is closely related to the flute; Being played in a very similar way, but having a much coarser reed and a far wider 'bore'.
I dunno about now, but in my day it was very popular in UK primary schools as a first musical instrument.

It is very rarely heard in pop music generally; And in The Rolling Stones catalogue on "Ruby Tuesday" only.

("Ruby Tuesday" was composed entirely by Brian and Keith.)
September 28th, 2004 07:28 PM
stewed & Keefed

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
September 28th, 2004 07:39 PM
Soldatti Great pics
September 28th, 2004 07:54 PM
Gazza >I'm no musician, but as far as I can recall, a recorder is a woodwind instrument which is closely related to the flute; Being played in a very similar way, but having a much coarser reed and a far wider 'bore'.
I dunno about now, but in my day it was very popular in UK primary schools as a first musical instrument.

exactly right although its played quite differently to a flute in the way you blow into it (you kinda purse your lips a bit more when playing a flute. A recorder is much easier to play). You're right about it being the first instrument you learn at school - I think I was about 9 when I learned how to play it.

September 28th, 2004 07:56 PM
CotchfordCat I've been meaning to ask you, S&K; Where does your fantastic, apparently endless archive of Brian pics come from?

I can only assume you're a big fan of Cheltenham's second most famous ever musician. I am, too. You might have gathered as much from my handle.

Anyroad, keep up the great work, my friend!
September 28th, 2004 07:59 PM
CotchfordCat Hey, Gazza! Are ye alright, neebour? Long time no hear!

How's it goin' with you?
September 28th, 2004 08:38 PM
Gazza pretty good - hows yersel? LOL - just back from Spain, hence the absence of late (goin back for some golf for a few days next week though

what part of Ayrshire are you in anyway?
September 28th, 2004 08:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl This is a pretty cool photo of the last day Brian played a recorder live on stage, it is from the show held on 17th APRIL 1967 at the Panathinaikos Stadium in Athens,Greece

Articles and photos provided by Fotini and Irina!
September 28th, 2004 08:56 PM
CotchfordCat I'm OK.

By god, golf??? And here I thought it was only cool stuff you were into!

I'm only jokin' you, matey. I live in Irvine.

Whereabouts in Belfast are you at? Not that I know it, like. I've been in Ulster once in my entire life; You guessed it: A day trip to Larne from Stranraer when I was 12!
However, a pal of mine's ex-wife lives in Belfast, and I once spent an interesting fortnight in an apartment block in Malia, Crete, next door to four utter maniacs from Whiteabbey.....
September 28th, 2004 09:28 PM
Soldatti Gerardo that pic is great, thanks!
September 28th, 2004 09:33 PM
Gazza Oh I know a girl who's just moved to Irvine...lol...I should hook you two up..

I live in east Belfast. Larne is a grey shithole and it always rains there. And I mean always. It makes Stranraer look like Hollywood. Johnny Cash wrote "I'd walk from Cork to Larne to see the 40 shades of green" - he'd obviously plucked the name out of an atlas because if he'd ever set foot in the place, he'd have left quicker than you can say Ring of Fire. The only decent thing there is the ferry out of it, and even now you don't need to use that as you can get the boat here instead.

Whiteabbey is just outside Belfast to the north. And yeah, everyone I've ever met from there is a fucking nutcase.
September 28th, 2004 09:52 PM
CotchfordCat I like the idea of hooking up with the girl who just came to town; Not sure my missus would be as keen, though!

That Johnny Cash lyric is curious, isn't it? Did he have to rhyme 'Larne' with something in the next line? Because surely that'd only be 38 or 39 shades? Until he got to Malin Head?!