ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Monumental Plaza de Toros, Barcelona, España 11 de junio de 1976
© 1976 Alma María Rico - Dedicado a Montana!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: (LSC) Little Richard plays Millikin for the exercise Return to archive
September 25th, 2004 06:23 PM
MarthaMyDear Little Richard plays Millikin for the exercise
http://www.herald-review.com/articles/2004/09/25/life/entertaiment/1002935.txt

By TIM CAIN
H&R Entertainment Editor

While most people explain they don't do their job for their health, with Little Richard, it's just the opposite.

At age 72, Richard Penniman may be beyond the age where he has to be working the two or three weekends a month he and his band play. But he said, "It's just a joy doing it. And it's the only exercise I get."

The rock 'n' roll pioneer and legend performs Sunday afternoon at Millikin University's Kirkland Fine Arts Center.

Other factors play a role in Little Richard's touring schedule.

"I have people who have been with me for 30 years, for 18 years, for 12 years," he said. "When I work, it keeps them working.

"And my fans pack places. Wherever we play, it will be packed."

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee is the originator of some of the most memorable songs from the early days of rock: "Tutti-Frutti," "Long Tall Sally," "Jenny Jenny," "Keep A-Knockin' " and "Good Golly, Miss Molly," among others.

He's also been extremely vocal about feeling he has not received sufficient credit for his role in music history.

Little Richard admitted his feelings on the issue have softened somewhat. Occasionally.

"Sometimes. Not all the time," he said. "But sometimes, I don't feel I got all the credit I deserved.

"I am the architect of rock 'n' roll. It was rhythm and blues, and I made it rhythm and blues up-tempo. And in saying that, I'm not trying to take anything away from any of the people who were doing it when I was or after me.

"I just thank God I'm alive to keep talking about it. I never though I'd live to get to be this age to talk about it."

Decatur music buff and disc jockey Bill "Fleetsteer" Norfleet is a fan ready to give Little Richard plenty of credit.

"He crossed the line," Norfleet said. "He was one of the first people to do it. He's a legend. He rates up there with Elvis to me. I like his flamboyant style.

"Like a lot of people from that era, he didn't make any money until later. It wasn't until he was doing the music in 'Down and Out in Beverly Hills' (in 1986) and he was doing those Taco Bell commercials that he got any money."

Little Richard's influence on music ranges back to the start of his career. The National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences lifetime achievement honoree toured with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and at one point had legendary guitar player Jimi Hendrix in his backup band.

Yet he acknowledges he had no concept what would become of his touring mates and guitar player.

"I never knew," he said. "I wasn't thinking about it. We didn't think that way back then."

Then, recalling a friend whose funeral he was planning to attend and reflecting on the loss of other friends and co-workers, he said, "Sometimes it brings tears to my eyes."

Little Richard's voice is a key part of his legend, and it influenced performers like Paul McCartney. Little Richard insists his voice retains its original quality.

"Oh my God, is it there?" he said. "In a big way. In many ways, it's stronger than it's ever been. I think if you don't use it, you lose it. If you use it, it gets better and stronger."

He'll put that on display Sunday afternoon.

"I'll be playing all records, and some other peoples' songs," he said. "This band is phenomenal. It's fantastic.

"I promise the show will be electrifying for 90 minutes."

Tim Cain can be reached at timcain@;herald-review.com or 421-6908.
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]