ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Monumental Plaza de Toros, Barcelona, España 11 de junio de 1976
© 1976 Alma María Rico - Dedicado a Montana!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: How long were tour rehearsals back then for the Stones?....From Ian Return to archive
September 24th, 2004 09:20 PM
IanBillen
I was wondering how much the Stones rehearsed for their tours in the earlier times say for like 69, 72, 75, 78, and 81?
Did they even really officially rehearse and prepare for a tour any earlier than say 69?
I know since 89 it has been anywhere from 4, 6, or 8 to 9 weeks I believe for Steel Wheels. I know tour rehearsing before they hit the road on these extravaganza's has been planned and official for a period of time but I was wondering how long, and infact, at all was their official tour rehearsals for the rolling Stones earlier tours. My Guess is for 69 and on it was anywhere from only 1 to three weeks tops for some of the earlier tours.
Can anyone tell me how long and if it was a planned, official thing as it is now or was it just a basic throw together until 81 or even the 89 thing?
Just wondering.
Thanks for any help.
Ian
September 24th, 2004 09:47 PM
Gazza 1969 tour - they rehearsed at Stephen Stills house in Laurel Canyon and then at Warners Studios - about 8 days in total. Immediately prior to those rehearsals they had been finishing work on "Let It Bleed"

1972 tour - initial rehearsals in Montreux for about 5 days then they rehearsed for about another week in LA just before the tour started.

1975 tour - rehearsals took place in Montauk, NY for about a week in early May and then about another 10 days in an aircraft hangar before the tour started

1978 tour - two weeks in Woodstock, NY

1981 tour - 6 weeks at Long View Farm in Massachussetts

1989 tour - about a month at a girls school in Connecticut, a week or so at Nassau Coliseum and then finally a couple of days of dress rehersals at the empty stadium in Philly immediately before the tour opened (subsequent world tours have seen the final dress rehearsals take place for a couple of days in this manner)

1994 - this was the first tour where they rehearsed in Toronto. they did about 5-6 weeks there before going to Washington DC for the last few days before the tour opened there.

1997 - Toronto again, a month at the Masonic Temple before going on to Chicago.

For the '99 No Security tour, they spent about 2 weeks in Frisco and Oakland, although the opening show of the tour in Oakland was at a different arena than that used for the rehearsals.

2002 - about 5 weeks in Toronto before a week in Boston, rehearsing at both the arena and the stadium where the two opening shows took place.

For legs of each tour outside the US on the more recent world tours, theyve tended to do very brief rehearsals (the '98 European tour was about 2 days in Munich where they had a press conference). However, I remember when they toured Europe in '82 they rehearsed at Shepperton Studios near London for about 3 weeks - even though the setlist was almost identical to that played on the US tour which had ended a few months earlier.

In 1973, they did a week or more in Rotterdam - but then that was a "new" tour as it coincided with the release of Goats Head Soup.

As for earlier than 1969, well up to 1967 they were on tour for most months of the year so there would have been less need to rehearse, although naturally they would have done so.

To get it into perspective, the Stones in their entire career have played some 1,900 concerts that I can document. Over 860 of those shows were played between 1963 - 1965 . See http://www.rocksoff.org/songsybyy.htm

(additionally, the 1969 tour was the first tour where they HAD to sound good as it was the first tour they could be HEARD most nights)

[Edited by Gazza]
September 24th, 2004 10:15 PM
Soldatti Ian...here you can find more details:
http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm
September 24th, 2004 10:50 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl How long were tour rehearsals back then for the Stones?

Excelent reply by Gazza but you missed one mid-tour rehearsals, documented by Nico and below with a couple of images, I have more but I'm gonna use them later in a special space at Rocks Off about the Stones in Mexico

Well the longest stop in the middle of a tour ever was in Mexico City during the Voodoo Lounge Tour, the Stones arrived January 7 and left on January 26, 1995!!

They made different activities

1.- They made the video of "I Go Wild"

2.- They made a three full-day rehearsals at Palacio de Los Deportes

They rehearsed several songs, many of them one time only but "Fool to Cry" was reherased severl times during the three days and it was not played in Mexico City!

3.- They made two press conferences

4.- They (Mick, Keith and Ronnie) made TV interviews for Televisa (all with Ricardo Rocha)

5.- They rocked the biggest city with 4 full stadium shows at the "ROCKÓDROMO" aka Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez one of them was the very first show in Latin America

All pix by Fernando Aceves

September 24th, 2004 10:58 PM
Soldatti Great stuff Gerardo!
September 24th, 2004 11:08 PM
Bloozehound Yes it is, one of the coolest pics of the boys...

love the omni dominant riffmeister shadow, while he's pluckin a fat one...

just a moment in time...
September 24th, 2004 11:19 PM
Gazza >Excelent reply by Gazza but you missed one mid-tour rehearsals, documented by Nico and below with a couple of images, I have more but I'm gonna use them later in a special space at Rocks Off about the Stones in Mexico

I'm sure I missed plenty as each 'leg' would see some form of rehearsal even if its just for a day or so, but I was concentrating more on the pre-tour rehearsals for the most part..

Do you have video footage of any of these Mexico shows/ interviews/press conferences from '95 ? (or '98 even?)
September 24th, 2004 11:23 PM
IanBillen
Wow,
Great info. I got so much out of these replies. And suprisingly it was just as I suspected for the most part.
Thanks so much. Thanks to all of you I have a much better concept on the history of tour preparation for the Rolling Stones.
Ian
September 24th, 2004 11:24 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

1.- They made the video of "I Go Wild"

That one!

Fucking Christ!
September 24th, 2004 11:25 PM
Bloozehound didn't mean to leave out the omni present charlie my boy!

rock solid baby!
September 24th, 2004 11:36 PM
Soldatti
quote:
They made the video of "I Go Wild"

The stones doing videos...the good times...and only 10 years ago...
September 25th, 2004 08:51 AM
Moonisup 1999 in amsterdam, just b4 the Euro-tour and also in 1995
September 26th, 2004 02:20 PM
erikjjf In 1999, they had production rehearsals in Vancouver before going to SF/Oakland.
September 28th, 2004 04:29 PM
wgwalsh Brian and Keith first began rehearsing at their flat.
September 28th, 2004 07:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
wgwalsh wrote:
Brian and Keith first began rehearsing at their flat.

Yes, it's true...
September 28th, 2004 08:40 PM
mac_daddy didn't they rehearse in dallas in 72 - right before the july 4 show in d.c..?