ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Monumental Plaza de Toros, Barcelona, España 11 de junio de 1976
© 1976 Alma María Rico - Dedicado a Montana!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Aid DVD track listing confirmed Return to archive Page: 1 2
September 22nd, 2004 05:47 AM
Gazza Live Aid DVD Details Confirmed

After months of rumours and speculation, Warner Vision International have finally confirmed the release date and contents details of the forthcoming Live Aid DVD set.

The 4-disc set, originally put together after Sir Bob Geldof caught a bootlegger selling pirate versions on the web, is currently set for a pre-Christmas release making it the must have present for music lovers world-wide.

As previously suggested by Xfm Online, the four-disc set will contain all the performances from the extravaganza, except Led Zeppelin's set which the band were unhappy to include. The DVD will also feature bonus footage from Sydney and Holland, Michael Buerk's historic report from Ethiopia and the videos for Band Aid's 'Do They Know It's Christmas?', USA For Africa's 'We Are The World' and David Bowie and Mick Jagger's 'Dancing In The Streets'.

The remaining Led Zep members Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones have agreed instead to contribute proceeds from their own upcoming DVD package to the cause.

The 4-disc set will retail at around the £40 mark and is currently set to hit shops on November 8.

DISC 1:

1. BBC News report including Michael Buerk’s report from Ethiopia
2. Band Aid ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ (video)
3. USA for Africa ‘We Are The World’ (video)
4. Status Quo ‘Rockin’ All Over the World’, ‘Caroline’
5. Style Council ‘Internationalists’, ‘Walls Come Tumbling Down’
6. Boomtown Rats ‘I Don’t Like Mondays’, ‘Drag Me Down’
7. Adam Ant ‘Vive Le Rock’
8. Ultravox ‘Dancing With Tears In My Eyes’, ‘Vienna’
9. Spandau Ballet ‘Only When you Leave’, ‘True’
10. Elvis Costello ‘All You Need Is Love’
11. Nik Kershaw ‘Wouldn’t It Be Good’
12. Sade ‘Your Love Is King’
13. Sting ‘Roxanne’
14. Phil Collins ‘Against All Odds’
15. Sting & Phil Collins ‘Every Breath You Take’
16. Howard Jones ‘Hide and Seek’
17. Bryan Ferry ‘Slave to Love’, ‘Jealous Guy’
18. Paul Young ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’ (acappella version), ‘Come Back and Stay’
19. Paul Young & Alison Moyet ‘That’s the Way Love Is’
20. Paul Young ‘Every Time You Go Away’
21. Bryan Adams ‘Kids Wanna Rock’, ‘Summer of 69’
22. U2 ‘Sunday Bloody Sunday’, ‘Bad’

DISC 2

1. Beach Boys ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice’, ‘Good Vibrations’, ‘Surfin’ USA’
2. Dire Straits & Sting ‘Money For Nothing’
3. Dire Straits ‘Sultans of Swing’
4. George Thorogood & The Destroyers ‘Madison Blues’
5. Queen ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’, ‘Radio Gaga’, ‘Hammer To Fall’, ‘Crazy Little Thing Called Love’, ‘We Will Rock You’, ‘We Are The Champions’
6. Simple Minds ‘Ghost Dancing’, ‘Don’t You Forget About Me’
7. David Bowie ‘TVC15’, ‘Rebel Rebel’, ‘Modern Love’, ‘Heroes’
8. CBC Footage (video) ‘Drive’ by the Cars
9. Joan Baez ‘Amazing Grace’
10. Pretenders ‘Stop Your Sobbing’, ‘Chain Gang’, ‘Middle Of The Road’
11. The Who ‘Love Reign O’er Me’, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’
12. Kenny Loggins ‘Footloose’
13. Elton John ‘Bennie & The Jets’, ‘Rocket Man’
14. Elton John & Kiki Dee ‘Don’t Go Breaking My Heart’
15. Elton John & George Michael ‘Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me’

DISC 3

1. Madonna ‘Holiday’, ‘Get Into The Groove’
2. Freddie Mercury & Brian May ‘Is This The World We Created?’
3. Paul McCartney ‘Let It Be’
4. Band Aid UK Finale ‘Do They Know It’s Christmas?’
5. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers ‘American Girl’, ‘Refugee’
6. Black Sabbath feat. Ozzy Osbourne ‘Paranoid’
7. REO Speedwagon ‘Can’t Fight This Feeling’, ‘Roll With The Changes’
8. Crosby Stills and Nash ‘Teach Your Children’,
9. Judas Priest ‘Living After Midnight’, ‘Green Manalishi’
10. The Cars ‘Just What I Needed’, ‘Heartbreak City’
11. Neil Young ‘The Needle &The Damage Done’, ‘Nothing is Perfect (in God’s Perfect Plan)’
12. Thompson Twins, Steve Stevens, Nile Rodgers and Madonna ‘Revolution’
13. Eric Clapton ‘White Room’, ‘She’s Waiting’, ‘Layla’
14. Phil Collins (in Philadelphia) ‘In The Air Tonight’
15. Duran Duran ‘Union Of The Snake’, ‘Save A Prayer’, ‘The Reflex’
16. Patti Labelle ‘Imagine’, ‘Forever Young’

DISC 4

1. Hall &Oates ‘Maneater’
2. Hall &Oates with Eddie Kendricks ‘Get Ready (Cos Here I Come)’
3. Hall &Oates with Eddie Kendricks & David Ruffin ‘Ain’t Too Proud To Beg’, ‘My Girl’
4. Mick Jagger ‘Just Another Night’, ‘Miss You’
5. Mick Jagger and Tina Turner ‘State Of Shock’, ‘It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll’
6. Bob Dylan, Keith Richards, Ron Wood ‘Blowin’ In The Wind’
7. USA For Africa Finale ‘We Are The World’

Extras

1. INXS – from Australia ‘What You Need’, ‘Don’t Change’
2. B.B. King from North Sea Jazz Festival ‘Why I Sing The Blues’, ‘Don’t Answer The Door’, ‘Rock Me Baby’
3. Ashford & Simpson with Teddy Pendergrass ‘Reach Out And Touch’
4. Cliff Richard from London ‘A World Of Difference’
5. Bowie & Jagger ‘Dancing In The Street’ (video)
6. Documentary: ‘Food and Trucks and Rock ‘n’ Roll’

www.xfm.co.uk
September 22nd, 2004 06:41 AM
egon very interesting, and not too expensive.
But what exactly is "pre-xmas release"? i usually do my shopping early....

btw, does anyone here from the states know how much it's gonna cost there?

oh and led zeppeling are kinda sad...
September 22nd, 2004 07:16 AM
Gazza >But what exactly is "pre-xmas release"? i usually do my shopping early....

well it says it comes out on November 8th, which should hopefully be early enough!
September 22nd, 2004 07:19 AM
Gazza >As previously suggested by Xfm Online, the four-disc set will contain all the performances from the extravaganza, except Led Zeppelin's set which the band were unhappy to include.

The idea that this contains every performance but Zep's is utter nonsense. Just looking at the set list, theres definitely about 2-3 songs by both the Beach Boys and Neil Young which have been left off plus two by Dylan and The Who. I'm also pretty sure Bryan Adams played more than two songs as well. And I'm sure there's quite a few more from other acts which have been omitted. Mercifully in some cases.
[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
September 22nd, 2004 10:41 AM
egon thanks gazza, i overlooked the "8th november"
(that's what you get from quickly checking the board while working)

i have most of the concert on tape, including a list with the performances, so i shall investigate the matter this weekend!

Egon holmes
September 22nd, 2004 11:18 AM
GimmeExile Yeah, I knew that Dylan played more than one song.

Does anyone know the complete setlist he played with Keith and Ronnie?
September 22nd, 2004 11:40 AM
Doxa If my memory serves me right, Dylan's set (with our boys) was "Ballad of Hollis Brown", "When The Ship Comes In", and "Blowin' The Wind". A horrible performance, they made themselves look old-fashionable, pathetic, unmusical, stupid, ugly drunken men. But I like it

- Doxa
September 22nd, 2004 02:46 PM
Hannalee Somewhere (way back) I posted an article on the woman who assembled the DVD. She said that a lot of the American stuff was missing because the tapes were destroyed as promised, and it's only the parts that were shown in Britain that have survived. I think there was mention also of some other performances that didn't make it but I can't remember it all now.
September 22nd, 2004 07:35 PM
Gazza jesus, they could have used my copy..I have the whole thing on video!

Doxa got the Dylan/Keith/Woody tracklisting correct.

Crappy performance but not really helped by the three of them not being able to hear themselves in the monitors because while they played the stage was being set up on the other side of the curtain behind them for the big finale. That plus Keith & Ronnie being out of it and breaking strings!!

The one great thing that did come out of that fiasco was the fact that Dylan's request that some of the money raised be diverted to help bankrupt American farmers (which at the time was rightly condemned as being isolationist and poorly-timed) was the direct inspiration for the annual "Farm Aid" benefits, the first of which took place 2 months later (in Steel Driving Hammer's hometown, no less!) and which are still going to this day (the most recent was last week, I think)

Oh, and Bob's performance at that Farm Aid show was as breathtakingly brilliant as the one at Live Aid was toe-curlingly bad...
September 22nd, 2004 08:54 PM
sammy davis jr. Elton John & George Michael singing "Don't Let Your Son Go Down On Me" - should be very gay.
September 22nd, 2004 10:09 PM
Soldatti I never was so embarrassed of see Keith & Ronnie on that show.
September 22nd, 2004 10:57 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I never was so embarrassed of see Keith & Ronnie on that show.

I WASNT- I THOUGH ALL THE US PERFORMANCES SUCKED-AND OUR BOYS TOPPED IT OFF..BUT THEY NEVER LOOKED COOLER..
QUEEN AND U2 RULED THE DAY..JAGGER SANG WELL BUT THE BAND SUCKED
September 22nd, 2004 11:36 PM
Soldatti Queen was incredible on that show, one of the few good thing from a lame thing.
Mick performance? sucked...
September 23rd, 2004 01:19 AM
corgi37 With the aid of youth...

...and drugs, i stayed up and watched the whole thing. The Aussie bit was crap as crap can be. I think the Who did Pinball Wizard too. I remember during the "scream" of WGFA, Towneshend fell over. Funny as hell.

Jagger was ok. But the Hall and Oates band was shameful. Keith & Woody were just tragic.

In fact, the fact the stones couldnt solve their ego hassles to get together and do this (and no doubt headline and blow every one else out of the water) is the most shameful thing of all.

But, bloody hell. A bit late innit? Sir Bob should have had this thing out, oh i dunno, like 20 freaking years ago!!!

I think i will give it a miss.
September 23rd, 2004 01:44 AM
stonedinaustralia call me mad...but i think keith and ronnies performance with bob was one of the greatest performances by anyone in the '80's...it was diabolical but that's why i liked it so much

and as gazza has ponted out it wasn't really their fault...they couldn't hear themselves

although i've read that bob - in his usual style - added unrehearsed material to the final list (BOHB in particular) minutes before they were due to go on stage

apprarently keith, ronnie and bob's rehearsals were really good - and i can't see why they wouldn't have been...now those i would love to hear
September 23rd, 2004 03:54 AM
Mathijs Gazza, about Farm Aid: didn't this allready start in the mid-70's? As far as I know both Aerosmith and ZZ Top have released performances they did on Farm Aid in '76 ot '77. Or is this something else?

Glad they omiited Zep...that was plain horrible. No voice, guitarist very much under influence, not rehearsed properly.

Mathijs
September 23rd, 2004 05:10 AM
Doxa About the final sing-a-long "We Are the World", where almost everybody is on the stage, Mick having fun with Tina somewhere behind etc, I love the moment when Keith sits on the monitor with his back on the audience and a towell on his shoulders. Then Bob comes gives him some mark and all of them - Bob, Keith and Ronnie - walk away from the stage, through all the people there.

Like I said above, their performance was awful - and surely mostly due to the causes mentioned by Gazza and Stonedinaustralia plus that they surely were "under the influence" in Mathijs's terms - BUT there was something very cool in their whole performance that I liked it. That kind of attitude of "fuck it if we mess - ain't here about a little too much hypocrisy in the air". It was so "dylanish" to talk about in that situation about "what about if we keep some of the money here, maybe few millions, to help the farmers.." Who else could have nerves to say something like in that in that very occasion, when the whole pop world has a heart full of helping Africa? Not to blame the good meaning of Live Aid and Sir Bob but I always felt that there is something doubting in this whole thing when all these millionares were giving ONE day of their precious life to help to gather the pennies and cents of North to help poor people starving somewhere in South. And these "big-hearted" stars were treated like heroes.. no matter how much it happened to help to bright their image and promote their music for a BIGGEST audience ever. What goes for the post-Live Aid record sales, Queen, U2 and that bloody Phil Collins were told to be the winners of the show.

Summa summarum, to my young and a bit rebellious mind the anti-climax of Bob, Keef and Ronnie was outstanding in its way.. they were.. in that super moment of 80's fantasy world something.. real?

- Doxa
September 23rd, 2004 05:11 AM
Gazza >Gazza, about Farm Aid: didn't this allready start in the mid-70's? As far as I know both Aerosmith and ZZ Top have released performances they did on Farm Aid in '76 ot '77. Or is this something else?

I guess that was somethin' else, Mathijs (maybe it was '86 and '87 perhaps). The first Farm Aid show took place in Champaign, Illinois in September 1985. I think Willie Nelson was instrumental in organising it, and the idea for it came more or less from Dylan's comments at Live Aid.

From www.farmaid.org

The Beginning... September 22, 1985 Champaign, Illinois

FARM AID started as an idea at the Live Aid Concert when Bob Dylan said on stage, "Wouldn't it be great if we did something for our own farmers right here in America?" Willie Nelson, Neil Young and John Mellencamp agreed that family farmers were in dire need of assistance and decided to plan a concert for America. The show was put together in six weeks and was held on September 22, 1985 in Champaign, Illinois before a crowd of 80,000 people. It raised over $7 million for America's family farmers. Performers included Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, B.B. King, Loretta Lynn, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and many more.

(the site gives a history of each of the Farm Aid shows down the years with a list of the main performers)

[Edited by Gazza]
September 23rd, 2004 12:22 PM
Martha The one great thing that did come out of that fiasco was the fact that Dylan's request that some of the money raised be diverted to help bankrupt American farmers (which at the time was rightly condemned as being isolationist and poorly-timed) was the direct inspiration for the annual "Farm Aid" benefits, the first of which took place 2 months later (in Steel Driving Hammer's hometown, no less!) and which are still going to this day (the most recent was last week, I think)

Farm Aid 2004 was held in Seattle, WA on September 18th.
September 23rd, 2004 09:49 PM
Soldatti
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
call me mad...but i think keith and ronnies performance with bob was one of the greatest performances by anyone in the '80's

MAD!!!
September 24th, 2004 06:20 AM
gypsymofo60 As usual! Australia is 12 months behind the rest of the world no matter what Mobbsy tells his Geelong boys. Typicall!
September 24th, 2004 08:32 AM
Gazza >call me mad...but i think keith and ronnies performance with bob was one of the greatest performances by anyone in the '80's...

bonkers I think would be more appropriate!

>it was diabolical but that's why i liked it so much
and as gazza has ponted out it wasn't really their fault...they couldn't hear themselves
although i've read that bob - in his usual style - added unrehearsed material to the final list (BOHB in particular) minutes before they were due to go on stage

Even worse - according to an interview with Woody in a Dylan fanzine a few years ago - Bob actually suggested another song that they hadnt even rehearsed (the title of which escapes me at the minute) while they were going up the RAMP onto the stage in front of 90,000 people and a worldwide Tv audience of two billion!

>apprarently keith, ronnie and bob's rehearsals were really good - and i can't see why they wouldn't have been...now those i would love to hear

I have them. I wouldnt go as far as to describe them as "really good" - there's two separate sessions of them jamming on acoustic guitars in Woody's apartment a day or two before the show - but they're interesting enough in a "fly on the wall" kind of way. If you want a CD of them, e-mail me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
September 24th, 2004 09:22 AM
Joey

" 11. The Who ‘Love Reign O’er Me’, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ "

Stay clear of THIS one !!!!

Worst WHO EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 24th, 2004 09:39 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Joey wrote:

" 11. The Who ‘Love Reign O’er Me’, ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ "

Stay clear of THIS one !!!!

Worst WHO EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree...
September 24th, 2004 10:06 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks gazza - i'll get on to you - but,in the meantime, tell me,if you would,do they play plenty of songs or is it a lot of "jamming", for want of a better word
September 24th, 2004 10:14 PM
Gazza a bit of both, I guess

here's what they got up to, courtesy or Nico Zentgraf's site as I cant be arsed typing it all out:

12th July: BOB DYLAN. New York City, basement of Ron Wood’s house.
Rehearsals for the upcoming ‘Live Aid’-concert.
tape 1:
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown (Bob Dylan)
- Girl From The North Country (Bob Dylan)
- Blowin’ In The Wind (Bob Dylan)
- Trouble (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller) -intro, played by RW, broken off
tape 2:
- Blowin’ In The Wind 1(Bob Dylan)
- Baby Better Talk To Me ( )
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown 1 (Bob Dylan)
- Careles Ethoipians (Toots Hibbert)
- discussion about Mick Taylor
- Blowin’ In The Wind 2 (Bob Dylan)
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown 2 (Bob Dylan)
- Little Maggie/Ballad Of Hollis Brown 3 (Trad.)/(Bob Dylan)
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown 4 (Bob Dylan)
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown 5 (Bob Dylan)
- When The Ship Comes In 1 (Bob Dylan)
- When The Ship Comes In 2 (Bob Dylan)
- Dark Eyes 1 (Bob Dylan)
- Dark Eyes 2 (Bob Dylan)
- Dark Eyes 3/Freight Train (Bob Dylan)(Trad.)
- Ballad Of Hollis Brown 6 (Bob Dylan)
Line-up: KR (gtr, voc)/RW (gtr, voc)/Bob Dylan (gtr, voc)
September 24th, 2004 10:18 PM
stonedinaustralia thanks gazza - i guess i could have gone there myself and checked it out

cheers
September 24th, 2004 10:24 PM
Gazza Just to add to the post I made a bit earlier about the Live Aid rehearsals, Woody said in that Dylan fanzine interview "we played everything in Bob's catalogue and everything in the Stones catalogue in those two days" and when asked did he record it all replied "yeah. I'd love to know where a lot of those tapes are. I gave a lot of them to Keith and some to Bob" (he said Bob started to worry 'cos he was recording them all the time)

Dylan was remarking on the way to the stadium "I wonder what Bill Graham wants me to do.. Bill might make me do this.." etc while Keith & Woody were telling him to play what HE wanted. (Before contacting Woody two days before the show, Bill Graham had got a band together for Bob and, as he told Woody "I have to go along with it"). When they were going up the ramp to the stage, "Bob turned and said "Maybe we should do 'All I Really Want To Do"..and we were going "aaargh! Oh my God!".

When they started breaking strings it turned out that the other guitars had been packed away by the trusty roadie, so Woody gave him HIS!
September 24th, 2004 10:30 PM
Soldatti Good information Gazza
September 29th, 2004 12:51 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 I won't be buying it. That isn't the entire performance.
Page: 1 2