ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Cover of our boot!
Exclusive Pic provided by Moy!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NY Post Review of Roseland Return to archive
10-02-02 07:26 AM
Maxlugar Guys,

I can't find the article on their website to paste here but in the NY Post this morning, Dan Aquilante pretty much trashed their Roseland Performance.

He started off by saying everyone who didn't offer to sell their tickets to someone outside was scratching their heads why.

He goes on to say Jagger was lethargic! WHAT THE FUCK? Never!

Basically he said it didn't measure up to MSG or even GS!

Wow.

M!
10-02-02 08:31 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

He started off by saying everyone who didn't offer to sell their tickets to someone outside was scratching their heads why.

Hunh? That's not what I heard. How bizarre. Can we get some verification please? Is there not somebody that can set Dan Aquilante straight?
10-02-02 10:11 AM
scope He was probably scratching his head wondering what songs they were playing. Most of the media has no clue outside of the hot rocks. In Newsday last week the reviewer talks about the songs on the set list, and leaves out Mannish Boy. Why, because he had no idea what he was hearing.
10-02-02 10:15 AM
Maxlugar Dan Aquilante wrote about them playing "Wreck This Joint" at the MSG show.

Turd!

10-02-02 11:12 AM
Sir Stonesalot Dude must have been at the wrong show.

He could NOT have been at the same show I was at.

Jagger was a Whirling Dervish of energy. Lethargic? Well maybe to someone hopped up on crystal meth with a side of pharmacy grade coke, and a gallon of coffee in their system...yeah, maybe then he would be considered lethargic. But not to a normal person with a few beers and a couple of puffs off of a fattie. No, jagger was the 9th wonder of the world again at that show.

You'll just have to trust me on this one.
10-02-02 11:44 AM
Joey The reviews I have read have been superb ....just look at this one from IORR :

" The Rolling Stones
Roseland Ballroom
New York City, NY, USA
Monday Sept. 30, 2002 "

The set list:
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
All Down The Line
Hand Of Fate
Sweet Virginia
She Smiled Sweetly
Neighbours
Dance Pt. 1
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going To A Go Go
Ain't To Proud To Beg
--- Introductions
You Don't Have To Mean It (Keith)
Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Midnight Rambler
Rock Me Baby (with Jonny Lang)
Stray Cat Blues
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Honky Tonk Women
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)

" This was the toughest ticket on the tour so far. Sadly many die hard fans cried their hearts out as they could not get a ticket to get in, only to see that many people left the show after just a few songs. They could tell their business associaltes they were out with The Stones last night. Life can be so unfair...

The Roseland Ballroom is an old theatre. Keith called it "a good room" as he performed his set of two songs. Mick seems to be fueled by the special crowds of these small theatre shows, as he went totally berserk when he performed "That's How Strong My Love Is". But let's backtrack a bit...

The Stones had been in New York City all week. As their hotel was just a few blocks away from the Roseland Ballroom on 52nd street between Broadway and 8th ave, they did the rehearsals like 5pm to 6pm, and then left, to return around 8:50pm. Meanwhile Johnny Lang and his band had performed their set as a warmup band from 8pm to 8:45.

It took longer than normal to prepare the stage. By 9:40 the waiting time was over, as they did "Start Me Up". The sound was strong and clear. As it was such a big room with lots of space, the sound could flow freely without bouncing around. Charlie was tuned into almost overload tonigh. I have never heard Charlie that strong and sharp. Ronnie was enjoying himself a lot. I can't believe this guy is doing such great solo playing without even showing any sign of getting tired.

For the opening song Keith had dressed in black. Both jacket and trousers in black. Almost like he was in suit and tie, but the tie was missing. He had dressed up for the ballrom. And he was in such a great mood.

Mick is so fantastic on this tour. Where this tiny little man is getting all his energy from I don't know, but he simply gets better and better. "Hand of Fate" was a pure gift. But the better part was soon to come.

"She Smiled Sweetly" has been one of my favorites for all these years. I have played "Beetween The Buttons" over and over again, and this song was all Mick. The band was playing softly in the background, as Mick sang the song with strong still soft words. Close to the original. I was in heaven. And as they did Neighbours and Dance, I could not help having "She Smiled Sweetly" going on and on and on and on in my ears and my mind. Such a gift. I just hope they can play it more, so that more fans can hear it.

"That's How Strong My Love Is" was the song when Mick would freak out totally. He was chopping out the words like his mouth was a machine gun, he was rushing up and down on the very little space he had available. Then he was so exhausted, that's was what I though, as he moved back to Charlie for a quick sip of water, only to come back even more wild seconds later. Another great song, and no reason to hide this away from the fans. Please play it again in the arenas.

Midnight Rambler was so long and good. Just like in the old days. I could not see how they could fit in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", but sure they found room for it tonight as well, and as before, this was another highligh. Also, now I know that Ronnie himsef decides when and how it is time to close this song, and tonight this song did certainly not close early.

After Can't You Hear Me Knocking I was so satisfied. Even if I had been to the front on the left side, there was very little pushing around. I could actually enjoy the show a lot, even with open admission and no chairs, very unusual for a Stones show in the States. In my previous up front experiences in UK (Brixton and Shepherds Bush Empire) the pushing was so intense it was hard to fully enjoy the shows. So when Honky Tonk started, I decided I wanted to see the whole band from the mixer, with all the lights and the crowd as a beutiful decoration.

They had even brough in some confetti machines, and as the encore started, it was raining red confetti all over.

Yes. It was a fantastic show. No less. I did not miss "Love Train". I did not miss "Satisfaction". The sound was perfect. Keith thought it was a "good room". Mick said "I liked that one - really cool", as he finished Rambler. All I could see was smiling faces. The New York crowd is so good, and I am so happy to know they will do three more shows at the Garden in January. Hopefully they will give us bits of this great set list then too! "

" Oct. 1 - 02:30am
IORR/Bj�rnulf "

I shoulda been there to witness such a spectacular event .

Bunny

10-02-02 03:07 PM
Pants Make the Man "Wreck This Joint"? 'Nuff said. Thanks for restoring my faith in humanity, Joey.