ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Leaving a Mexican Restaurant in Halifax, NS - September 22
© Tzonistac
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: National Hockey League Return to archive
30th September 2006 10:32 PM
Taptrick
It's time for hockey. Any fans?

30th September 2006 10:40 PM
Egbert Let's go Blues!
30th September 2006 10:40 PM
Taptrick
Derek Sanderson with cigarette in mouth from the infamous Philadelphia Blazers of the WHA:

30th September 2006 10:45 PM
Taptrick Egbert: AS you may remember Derek Sanderson played for The St. Louis Blues. I will be in St. Louis next Saturday. My friend is getting married under the arch and then we are taking off down the river on the Becky Tatcher down the river. Open premium bar - gonna be a blast.

Shot of Bobby Orr scoring winning goal against St. Louis Blues to win Stanley Cup. Blues were in the Stanley Cup finals the first two years of their existance! Should have never let Scotty Bowman get away.

[Edited by Taptrick]
30th September 2006 10:54 PM
Fiji Joe I enjoyed this past Stanley Cup series...never been a hockey fan but I was rooting for Carolina...I found it quite exciting...but I don't think I could watch it on a regular basis..too friggin hard to follow the puck
30th September 2006 10:58 PM
Taptrick
Sometimes the excitment isn't where the puck is (don't worry, he survived):

30th September 2006 11:14 PM
Egbert Sanderson had a short stint with the Blues in the '70s, no? I didn't become a big fan until '79-'80 (Emile Francis - "We're gonna put the check back in the Checkerdome") but did see a few games with my dad in the mid-'70s Garry Unger era. I miss the Arena - don't live in STL anymore but have been to the Savvis Center a couple times and it ain't the same.

Blues were the best of the worst when they made the finals in the early years - the six established teams made up one division and the six expansion teams the other - all they had to do was make it out of the exp. div. and they were in the finals. Orr's goal is a thing of beauty. I hear that Brett Hull's number will be retired this year.

Wedding sounds like a good time!

30th September 2006 11:21 PM
Taptrick
Yes, I remember the checkerdome. I lived in Dogtown for a short period and could wal to the games.

Check out the dude at 4:09. That's heart:

1st October 2006 02:06 AM
Taptrick
Hilarious. The whole bench calls Brian Bellows a pussy:

1st October 2006 03:01 AM
pdog Broad St. Bullies were the best ever!

Let's hope we get The Cup back in Philly... It's been too long!

This is how the cold war really ended!
Notice the Red Pussies wore helmets!
FYI: sound is really low on this one!

[Edited by pdog]
1st October 2006 03:11 AM
Prodigal Son Well I'm from Canada so it goes without saying. Love the Canadiens!!! But even compared to your run of the mill hockey fan, I know damn near anything. Some posters here know I am a man of intuitive knowledge when it comes to music. Well, same goes for sports and primarily hockey. Ask me whatever you want! Heck, I know about the teams and their history their players. So Egbert and Taptrick both attended lots of Blues games in the day. Yeah, you know there's a team whose fans deserve a cup. But they were GAWDAWFUL last year especially right before the last 2 months. First time in history they came dead last in the league, but this year they won't be that bad IMO. Adding some established vets will help their green roster really grow in a div. where after Detroit and Nashville, who knows where they'll end up?

As an avid jersey collector, I've got the Blues home and away jerseys from the 78-84 era. Those were their sweetest jersey designs with the yellow player nameplates. Yep, blue one has Gilmour # 9 (though he wore #18 in his rookie year I don't know if he switched once they traded a fellow named Perry Turnbull) and a white one with #5 Ramage. Blues back in the Garry Unger days were in their lowest point ever though. I only assume so cause they stank and made the playoffs just three times from 72 to 79 winning only in the 77 preliminary round best of 3 (then getting smoked in the QF's by my Habs... when they were a dynasty and before I was born.. DOH!). Guys like Chuck Lefley, Brian Sutter, Wayne Babych, Bob Gassoff, the Plager brothers, Wayne Stephenson, Red Berenson, Barry Gibbs, Terry Harper, Jimmy Roberts, the list goes on.

But they had an awesome team going under GM Emile Francis and coach Berenson there in 80-81 mainly thanks to Mike Liut. Boy, did that not last or what. Then that time they had no ownership and looked to be in danger of moving. They were so low on money they couldn't afford to order new sticks often so they repaired broken ones and didn't take part in the 1983 draft. But they were bought up and stayed in St. Louis after all. Then they changed their jerseys to something yucky with BLUES in big words under their logo. They didn't do jack again until 86 when they nearly made it to the finals (where they most certainly would've lost... to my Habs like in 68 and 69... sorry guys) against Calgary. Their game 6 comeback from down 5-2 in the 3rd to win 6-5 in OT (scored by Doug Wickenheiser, a failed hyped #1 pick in 1980 by, geez whiz, the Habs!!!) was arguably the most memorable game in Blues history.

That old St. Louis Arena was a great one of the good ones in the old breed of NHL rinks; you know close to the action, damp, dim, small, noisy, smelly. And of course who can forget the Golden Brett. That guy had one weapon; his shot. And look how many goals he got off of one dominant skill from 1988 to 94; 41, 72, 86, 70, 54, 57!!! That is sick stuff and Hull will no doubt have his number raised to the rafters soon. Just like MacInnis is getting this season. The Blues had some decent teams under Hull and Oates and some good defense but never did much in the playoffs more than the 2nd round until 2001. They were close to a contender again for a while but that faded and now they aren't even a playoff team. Yep, so that's what I know about the Blues. Any more stories to share or did that get the gist of it?
1st October 2006 03:19 AM
Prodigal Son [quote]pdog wrote:
Broad St. Bullies were the best ever!

Let's hope we get The Cup back in Philly... It's been too long!

This is how the cold war really ended!
Notice the Red Pussies wore helmets!
FYI: sound is really low on this one!

[Edited by pdog]
[/quote

Damn Commies were getting whipped and saved humiliation by chickening out. That was their excuse, when Van Impe clobbered some Ruskie. They were also likely afraid Clarkey was gonna slash their ankles like he did to Kharlamov in the 1972 summit series. Guy was a mean sonofabitch but a tremendous player. Too bad he's also a total prick who buddied up to that corrupt NHLPA boss Alan Eagleson. Now, don't get me wrong he's a good GM but such an emberassment to the Flyers with the things he says and the way he treats people sometimes. Good GM, but he'll always be remembered for not bringing the cup back if the Flyers continue to miss out on the big title. They came real close in '87, aka the greatest finals series ever played (close up there with Rangers-Canucks of 1994... and 2006's Canes-Oilers was the best finals series I've witnessed since 94!).

Anyway, Flyers are a lot like the Eagles. Both teams have looked mighty good at times (most of the time for the Flyers actually-since last winning 31 years ago they've only finished under .500 5 times and missed the playoffs 4 times!) but can't seem to put it together for a championship. Those Reds thought they couldn't beat a crazy bunch like Philly. Come on, you just need some toughness. If a high flying bunch like the Canadiens in 76 could match the muscle of the Flyers, what was stopping the CCCP? Oh I guess their lack of training in the art of fighting and some cheap, military grade vodka I guess.
1st October 2006 03:47 AM
Taptrick Hey Prodigal: Being Canadian, I'm guessing you know Jacque Plante. When I was a kid he gave me a signed pic of himself and wrote a whole paragraph on the back of it.

I played for a few years as well. We used to go to Sprigfield Illinois every year. Tony Espisitos kid played for a team called The Elmhurst Huskies and they were supposed to ber unbeatable - we beat his team two years in a row. Kind of cool.

My favorite Canadians:

St Louis Braves Hockey prior to the Blues:

[Edited by Taptrick]
1st October 2006 06:09 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Hey Prodigal: Being Canadian, I'm guessing you know Jacque Plante. When I was a kid he gave me a signed pic of himself and wrote a whole paragraph on the back of it.

I played for a few years as well. We used to go to Sprigfield Illinois every year. Tony Espisitos kid played for a team called The Elmhurst Huskies and they were supposed to ber unbeatable - we beat his team two years in a row. Kind of cool.

My favorite Canadians:

St Louis Braves Hockey prior to the Blues:

[Edited by Taptrick]

Those Blues of the early years were made up of many ex-Canadiens: Dickie Moore, Doug Harvey (on his last legs and starved for cash the poor drunk), Red Berenson (who had hung around in their system), Phil Goyette, Noel Picard, Jean-Guy Talbot (who Bowman wanted despite that the guy swung a stick at Scotty's face in junior that caused him to go blind in one eye) and of course arguably the greatest goalie ever Plante (who together with Glen Hall is still the best 1-2 goaltender punch ever assembled-come on, a combined .941 sv% through reg. season and playoffs!!? That's insane how much rubber they turned aside. People forget those two and Sawchuk when they foolishly call Roy the best goalie ever). I'm sure there were others.

St. Louis had pro hockey for one season, 1934-35 when the depression shut down the hapless St. Louis Eagles after one season... after transferring from being the Ottawa Senators. In terms of autographs, I've got me a good haul. On a Canadiens one (#11 Koivu, received for Christmas 1995 when he was a hot rookie), I've got the numbers and crest signed by many. Saku I got to sign both 1's (before and after his cancer battle), as well as Theodore (no good punk is gone now), Zednik (him too), Denis Savard, Brian Skrudland, author of the Hockey Sweater Roch Carrier, Russ Courtnall and Ric Nattress.

Got another one signed by Guy Lafleur, but tragically it got washed out when it accidentally went in the washing machine, Plus a hat signed by Doug Risebrough, Mark Napier and Bob Murdoch. When I was 7 and saw an old timer's game at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto (where I was born), two guys handed me their sticks as I stood watching the alumni leave the ice-Chris "Knuckles" Nilan and the goalie Richard Sevigny. Years later I tried to get Sevigny to autograph that very stick but he had left after the game so instead about 30 other alumni guys signed it. At the same game when I was 7, my dad was friends with a Leaf alumni and he helped me get a bunch of ex-Habs to sign my stuff-Pocket Richard, Believeau, and a bunch of others. It was so long ago I can't remember.

Bobby Orr I personally met and got an autograph from at the time. A couple of years ago my dad got a signed Team Canada jersey (not the style worn when they played internationally but still) by Yvan Cournoyer and Marcel Dionne. Gordie Howe signed a copy of his autobiography for my 10th birthday (personally written message) and same for just a few years ago on an autograph sheet with his hockey resume. This is pretty much all I can recollect in terms of autographs. Not too shabby I guess.
1st October 2006 08:42 AM
taz22 GO SENS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1st October 2006 09:22 AM
72Tele This will be the year the Buffalo Sabres hoist the cup.
1st October 2006 09:33 AM
gimmekeef Go Habs Go!.....Anyone seen the Zamboni?
1st October 2006 11:16 AM
LadyJane Sabres.............do it for my Dad. It was his last interest before passing away in August.

Kind of hard for me to watch the games.

Go Sabres!!!!!!!!

LJ.
1st October 2006 11:19 AM
Taptrick
I drove a Zamboni for two years - fun job. The Zamboni family still operates out of LA.

1st October 2006 05:28 PM
gimmekeef I'm so old..I remember when there was only the original six...and they resurfaced the ice with large oil drum like things on wheels with water pouring out onto flat rags on the ice!
1st October 2006 07:55 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Egbert: AS you may remember Derek Sanderson played for The St. Louis Blues. I will be in St. Louis next Saturday. My friend is getting married under the arch and then we are taking off down the river on the Becky Tatcher down the river. Open premium bar - gonna be a blast.

Shot of Bobby Orr scoring winning goal against St. Louis Blues to win Stanley Cup. Blues were in the Stanley Cup finals the first two years of their existance! Should have never let Scotty Bowman get away.

[Edited by Taptrick]

Is it a Gay weding...they always do those under the arch!!

Oh...Go Caps! Go Rangers!
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
1st October 2006 08:05 PM
Taptrick Ha Ha - but that's funny. I will be sure to ask my friend Nick that. I 'm going to tell him someone asked me that. Too funny. No. Next Saturday night - 200 under the arch. One of our friends who is crazy - He's known as Crusty the Clown down by Key West somewhere - he went out and got ordained through the mail and he is going to perform the ceremony.

2nd October 2006 10:46 AM
Lazy Bones The world's greatest sport!

Every Canadian will tell you it's part of our culture and the make-up of anyone that grew up here. From street hockey, to the spell of community arenas, to the Hockey Night In Canada theme song, it all pumps through our communal blood.

Let the puck drop!

GO LEAFS GO!

2nd October 2006 11:28 AM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
The world's greatest sport!

Every Canadian will tell you it's part of our culture and the make-up of anyone that grew up here. From street hockey, to the spell of community arenas, to the Hockey Night In Canada theme song, it all pumps through our communal blood.

Let the puck drop!

GO LEAFS GO!

HELL...these's even a picure of young Canuaks playing Hockey on your $5.00 bills...YET...your national sport is Lacrosse???
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
2nd October 2006 04:00 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:

HELL...these's even a picure of young Canuaks playing Hockey on your $5.00 bills...YET...your national sport is Lacrosse???

Indeed. Well done!

[Edited by Lazy Bones]
2nd October 2006 04:12 PM
gimmekeef Hear they're coming out with a new $1000 bill..with a curling bonspiel!
2nd October 2006 05:12 PM
Egbert
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Well I'm from Canada so it goes without saying. Love the Canadiens!!! But even compared to your run of the mill hockey fan, I know damn near anything...

PS, that's outstanding if you listed all that info on the Blues off the top of your head. Those were dire times indeed in the early '80s when the team was almost lost to the frozen tundra. I remember seeing many "Where The Hell Is Saskatoon" t-shirts and bumper stickers around town - which I thought was rather lame - if you're losing your hockey team to a place you've never even heard of then what does that say about your town??? But investor Harry Ornest swooped in from Beverly Hills and saved the day. It was his taste-impared wife that designed the ugly logo with B-L-U-E-S spelled out over the note and introduced the color red into the uniform - which ultimately led to the horrendous mid-'90s unis that had as much red as blue in them. I like the current uniform but will always have a soft spot for the '78-'84 version.

One Blue of note you didn't mention was Bernie Federko, who sort of flew under the radar for much of his career. Of course there were many better centers in the NHL from '78-'88 but he averaged 30-40 goals and 60-70 assists per year during that span. Was traded in his autumn years to Detroit for Adam Oates, which turned out to be a pretty good deal for the Blues. The Arena was actually large compared to others of it's era with seating for 17-18K and standing room capacity of approx 20K. It was loud and smelly though. As a kid I would wait in the lower corridor before the game for someone to come through the door that led to the visitor's locker room/zamboni area, catch the door before it would close, and stuff paper into the lock hole so I could let myself back in after the game to collect autographs. Got quite a few Goal magazines signed that way - Gretzky, Rick Martin of the French Connection (then riding out his career with the Kings), "Mr. Ooh-La-La" Ron Duguay, super nice guy Chico Resch. Also saw the cops beat the living crap out of a rowdy drunk back there once - hope he was a Blackhawk fan...

Last season was the first since '78-'79 that the Blues missed the playoffs - the longest such streak in N.A. pro sports for that time. That's sad to be in the running so often and not have one Cup to show for it. Doesn't look like they'll get one anytime soon either.

[Edited by Egbert]
2nd October 2006 05:37 PM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Egbert wrote:

PS, that's outstanding if you listed all that info on the Blues off the top of your head. Those were dire times indeed in the early '80s when the team was almost lost to the frozen tundra. I remember seeing many "Where The Hell Is Saskatoon" t-shirts and bumper stickers around town - which I thought was rather lame - if you're losing your hockey team to a place you've never even heard of then what does that say about your town??? But investor Harry Ornest swooped in from Beverly Hills and saved the day. It was his taste-impared wife that designed the ugly logo with B-L-U-E-S spelled out over the note and introduced the color red into the uniform - which ultimately led to the horrendous mid-'90s unis that had as much red as blue in them. I like the current uniform but will always have a soft spot for the '78-'84 version.

One Blue of note you didn't mention was Bernie Federko, who sort of flew under the radar for much of his career. Of course there were many better centers in the NHL from '78-'88 but he averaged 30-40 goals and 60-70 assists per year during that span. Was traded in his autumn years to Detroit for Adam Oates, which turned out to be a pretty good trade for the Blues. The Arena was actually large compared to others of it's era with seating for 17-18K and standing room capacity of approx 20K. It was loud and smelly though. As a kid I would wait in the lower corridor before the game for someone to come through the door that led to the visitor's locker room/zamboni area, catch the door before it would close, and stuff paper into the lock hole so I could let myself back in after the game to collect autographs. Got quite a few Goal magazines signed that way - Gretzky, Rick Martin of the French Connection (then riding out his career with the Kings), "Mr. Ooh-La-La" Ron Duguay, super nice guy Chico Resch. Also saw the cops beat the living crap out of a rowdy drunk back there - hopefully he was a Blackhawk fan...

Last season was the first since '78-'79 that the Blues missed the playoffs - the longest such streak in N.A. pro sports for that time. That's sad to be in the running so often and not have one Cup to show for it. Doesn't look like they'll get one anytime soon either.

Well I did mention those off by memory. I was mentioning Blues of the mid-70s but it's true Federko did break in during the 76-77 season actually. Pretty consistent player who never really had an elite winger. He went to the HOF, which kinda shows the Hockey hall is the most lenient, easy hall to break into unlike Cooperstown or Canton. Federko is a good guy and so he got in for being well-liked while guys of equal calibre like Rick Middleton (rocked the boat when the PA was run by a corrupt bastard), Glenn Anderson (possibly a closet homosexual and he fathered an illegitemate child then wouldn't pay child support) and Dino Ciccarelli (once was jailed for a day in Toronto for assault after he hit Leafs Luke Richardson on the head with his stick) have been held out. Harry Ornest was the name I forgot.

You think the BLUES and red unis were awful? Man, go to nhluniforms.com look in 1990s season 1995-96 and click bonus inform. Check this rumoured one out and read the description to it. The thing looks like the most godawful jersey I've ever seen anywhere. Anyhow, the Blues outright robbed the Flames when they picked up Hull. The Flames were a real deep team and didn't like Hull's terrible defense and slow skating so they managed to deal him and Steve Bozek to get Rob Ramage and a backup goalie in Rick Wamsley. Sure it helped Calgary's depth but don't you think they'd have been way better if they held on to Hull. Cause by the early 90s, room would've become available on the top 2 lines for the Golden Brett. Though the Flames got a sweet deal for Doug Gilmour (and Bozek and Mark Hunter) in exchange for Mike Bullard and a few spare parts. Poor Blues won't be winning any cups soon, but with a great goalie they could do some big things one day. Goalie of the future for them is Marek Schwarz.
2nd October 2006 06:14 PM
Egbert
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
You think the BLUES and red unis were awful? Man, go to nhluniforms.com look in 1990s season 1995-96 and click bonus inform. Check this rumoured one out and read the description to it. The thing looks like the most godawful jersey I've ever seen anywhere.

You are absolutely right - that uniform is FUGLY. Best thing Keenan did for the Blues was to keep them from wearing it!

Yeah Calgary would certainly have found room on their roster for Hull. He and Oates had a great on-ice chemistry - hated to see Oates go. Hated to see Gilmour go as well. Rumor around town had it he was traded due to his getting it on with a minor.
2nd October 2006 08:41 PM
Taptrick
One of the coolest things was seing Bill, Bob, and Barclay all on the same team.

My mon got hit right in the boobie by a Noel Picard slapshot.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)