ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Leaving a Mexican Restaurant in Halifax, NS - September 22
© Tzonistac
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The End Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th September 2006 10:03 AM
marko Stones are not done,vaults are opening,thats the last thing
they can do,and where to milk few more bucks.Hell,i would
be fine with official BBC set,like zeppelin did few years
back.
29th September 2006 10:18 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The last thing that I wanted to do with the "long good bye tour" line was try and second guess the band's intentions for the future. However,I have heard from some very reliable sources that this is it with regards to major touring is concerned. Charlie is ready to hang it up. This has been confirmed to me by everyone from the higher ups at Virgin to Ian MacLagen. I don't think it comes as a real shock to anyone though. These guys have been going at it for 44 years now afterall! Plus the time that goes into planning a stadium tour that the Stones would be willing to put their name on just makes the possiblity of another one seem a little far fetched.

The fact is that it is time for the Stones to enjoy the fruits of their labours. Charlie has been married to the same woman since 1962,and it's time that they start living the married life. The Stones actully picked up their touring pace significantly over the last decade knowing full well that they had better get it while the getting was good. Make hay while the sun shines,and all that.

The likes of the Rolling Stones will never be seen again in the world of rock and roll,and I take comfort in the fact that I was wise enough to see them plenty of times before this era came to a close. I will miss them terribly,but shall always cherish memories of the greatest concerts ever,and just the great times that this band has given me over the decades. Plus I have made friends that will last me a lifetime because of five scrawny kids from sleepy London town.

Not a bad run if you ask me. Not bad at all.

Riffy

Beautiful post, Riffy.
29th September 2006 10:25 AM
Some Guy
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Yup - last full scale tour the boys will do.

...there will likely be smaller shows here and there though.

And guess what?

The vaults are prepared and awaiting release of some fantastic material, and, a possible new album of new material has already taken some shape.

Stones aren't quite done yet lads...

please elaborate.
29th September 2006 10:26 AM
Dick Bush Stones have virtually ended their stage career in Rio, and from that moment on, they are just "looking busy" - and that's just OK. I don't want to see Keef Dicks anymore playing in pain, that makes no more sense.

The really sad thing is that the music they invented and developed so much is apparently ending too, or even worse -rock music might already be dead.

29th September 2006 10:35 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
marko wrote:
Stones are not done,vaults are opening,thats the last thing
they can do,and where to milk few more bucks.Hell,i would
be fine with official BBC set,like zeppelin did few years
back.

I like this idea...
29th September 2006 12:12 PM
the good
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
The last thing that I wanted to do with the "long good bye tour" line was try and second guess the band's intentions for the future. However,I have heard from some very reliable sources that this is it with regards to major touring is concerned. Charlie is ready to hang it up. This has been confirmed to me by everyone from the higher ups at Virgin to Ian MacLagen. I don't think it comes as a real shock to anyone though. These guys have been going at it for 44 years now afterall! Plus the time that goes into planning a stadium tour that the Stones would be willing to put their name on just makes the possiblity of another one seem a little far fetched.

The fact is that it is time for the Stones to enjoy the fruits of their labours. Charlie has been married to the same woman since 1962,and it's time that they start living the married life. The Stones actully picked up their touring pace significantly over the last decade knowing full well that they had better get it while the getting was good. Make hay while the sun shines,and all that.

The likes of the Rolling Stones will never be seen again in the world of rock and roll,and I take comfort in the fact that I was wise enough to see them plenty of times before this era came to a close. I will miss them terribly,but shall always cherish memories of the greatest concerts ever,and just the great times that this band has given me over the decades. Plus I have made friends that will last me a lifetime because of five scrawny kids from sleepy London town.

Not a bad run if you ask me. Not bad at all.

Riffy

People, we go through this during EVERY damn tour! Nobody knows ANYTHING! I think some of you (this is not meant to be a shot at you Riffy) simply want the Stones to retire, and all of these rumors, all of this speculation, represents nothing more than a wish fullfillment. Just admit it. You think the Stones are old. You want them to retire. You think they look silly on stage. You are worried that younger people don't think highly of them because of their age. And you think all of this will go away if they stop touring.
[Edited by the good]
29th September 2006 12:16 PM
glencar the good, yes, I do want them to retire. I love them & all but it is getting old. But I base my ideas on what I'm reading from the likes of Stonesdoug et alia. This sure looks like the last big tour.
29th September 2006 12:24 PM
the good
quote:
glencar wrote:
the good, yes, I do want them to retire. I love them & all but it is getting old. But I base my ideas on what I'm reading from the likes of Stonesdoug et alia. This sure looks like the last big tour.

I have some ambivalence about the whole issue. Sometimes I want them to retire. But when I go to see them, I am blown away by just how good they are. And then I feel ashamed for ever thinking such things. I say that history will little note nor long remember whether the Stones toured until they were 60 or 65. A couple more years doesn't make any real difference at this point. But I will remember every time I have been lucky enough to see them in the course of my sweet short life.
29th September 2006 12:30 PM
monkey_man Christ . . . they just announced another show at the Beacon and you guys are sitting here lamenting the end of the band!! Fucking enjoy them while they are here! You guys are at a funeral for someone that ain't dead yet. Get some perspective. . .or some Prozac. . .
29th September 2006 12:35 PM
Riffhard Uhh,no the good you're wrong on just about everything you just posted. I do not want the band to hang it up. I do,however,know a great many things about the touring outlook for the band. I have never once subscribed to the rumours about the Stones hanging it up for good,but when I hear Ian McLagen say point blank that he has been told by actual members of the band that this is it I tend to believe him. Ian has a much closer relationship with the Stones than anyone on this board does,and he was emphatic about this very point. Add to the fact that I have also heard the same thing from several very high ranking Virgin officials that as far as a major tour schedual is concerned the band has decided to call it a day. Will there be the occassional "one off" show? Perhaps,but even that is questionable at best right now. The band will stick to their word about not ever calling it a farewell tour. They know that sounds so mauldlin and cheesy.

You make it sound as if people want them to retire out of embarrasment. That's ridiculous! It has nothing whatsoever to do with that. It has everything to do with the fact that the Stones are not BB King. This is a band we're talking about here. Not one man. Should the members start to suffer health problems that threaten the cotinuity of the abilities of the band as a whole it will be put to bed. Those days are here I'm afraid. Not to mention it's a fact that Mick had to beg Charlie for this tour. Chaz has been ready to retire for some time now,and only hasn't done so out of loyalty alone.

Nobody could ever accuse me of being a buzz kill when it comes to the Stones. I have defended them,supported them,and put plenty of youngsters in their place with regards to the Stones carreer and their musical legacy. I would also support whatever they decide to do as for retirement. Don't try and pin that label on me. You're as wrong as you can be.

Riffy
29th September 2006 12:40 PM
LadyJane Amen, Riffy.

I don't want to see this magical journey end and I hope it doesn't. But I have to be realistic....it can't go on forever.

Bottom line........we can't predict the future....enjoy each day and each show as it could be your last.

LJ.
29th September 2006 12:45 PM
glencar LJ, I have 2 more shows & they're the same ones you're going to! If I get tix to the Beacon(highly doubtful) then that's gravy.
29th September 2006 01:13 PM
nanatod
quote:
Dick Bush wrote:
...the music they invented and developed so much is apparently ending too, or even worse -rock music might already be dead.

Rebuttal: My Morning Jacket, Queens of the Stone Age, Pearl Jam, Dresden Dolls, eels, Drive By Truckers, Frames.
29th September 2006 01:13 PM
the good
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
You make it sound as if people want them to retire out of embarrasment. That's ridiculous! It has nothing whatsoever to do with that.
Riffy

You are very wrong Riffy. A lot of people do want them to retire out of embarrasment. Plain and simple.
29th September 2006 01:14 PM
marko Riffy wrote it,just as it is.And actually 2+more years from
now on,is actually 5years for keith,and for others as well.
That kind of life,isn´t the easiest one,being on the road.
People doesn´t seem to know,that getting older process gets
faster after you´re 25 or 30,and these guys are over 60!
So if you think a person like Keith,how his been living past 40years,next 2 years is 5years,when it comes to helth
issues.
29th September 2006 01:16 PM
marko You are very wrong Riffy. A lot of people do want them to retire out of embarrasment. Plain and simple.

But not US HERE.We are just facing the whats true,and realistic.
Good,do u actually,REALLY think that they can pull a tour
after this?
Their age is 66 then......
They´ve given the best rock n roll ride in history of
mankind,i think thats ebough.
29th September 2006 01:21 PM
Riffhard
quote:
the good wrote:

You are very wrong Riffy. A lot of people do want them to retire out of embarrasment. Plain and simple.

Perhaps you're right,but I am not one of those people. I'm just telling it like it is as far as touring is concerned. I'd love to see them retire when they drop dead on stage,but that is not the way it's gonna go down. They have earned it,so let them have it. I have no doubt that Keith will try and contiue in whatever capacity he can,but there is no way that that includes another world tour on the magnitude that we have seen since Steel Wheels. Those days are over.

Riffy
29th September 2006 03:28 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
marko wrote:
as Gazza has stated many times before,stones need to change
their working ways,and i don´t believe thats gonna happen.

They haven't changed, because they didn't have to. Well, in the future, they might HAVE to change if they want to continue, and they will.
29th September 2006 04:53 PM
marko Its been their lifetime habit,occasional shows,maybe,but
i don´t believe that either.
29th September 2006 05:55 PM
polytoxic It's over after this. It had to happen sometime.

[Edited by polytoxic]
29th September 2006 06:01 PM
pdog I'm announcing my retirement... From what I do not know yet!
29th September 2006 06:19 PM
glencar I retire in 4 yrs and ten months. I will start part 2 of my life then.
29th September 2006 06:21 PM
pdog
quote:
glencar wrote:
I retire in 4 yrs and ten months. I will start part 2 of my life then.

You should put a countdown clock for this as your avatar...
I've retired many times, from many things, but I don't see real retirement for a long time... I can thank my sperm for this!
29th September 2006 06:26 PM
glencar I'm planning on following U2 around for a year or two. Or skiing. I'm trying to decide. As for me getting a countdown clock, are you freaking kidding? I'd love to but I can't even log on at iorr.org properly.
29th September 2006 06:56 PM
PeerQueer Word is...

new album - 2007 (late summer-fall) new songs during final European leg of tour?????????????

vaults release #1
with #2 and #3 to follow... - 2008 (fall-winter)

complete
vid. collection
(I'm stoked about this) - 2008/2009

Another world tour...not gonna happen - at least, not at this scale. So catch them while ya can!

Of course, I got this from the same critter who told me Keith's head injury was "very serious" a while back. Still not sure if he was right or wrong on that one. He did say this when the initial reports were making it sound like no big deal, so maybe he was right.
29th September 2006 07:07 PM
glencar I'd love a new album but if they plan on a Euro stadium tour, they'd better move up the release date.
29th September 2006 08:52 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'd love a new album but if they plan on a Euro stadium tour, they'd better move up the release date.

_________-

Perhaps the album and tour would compliment one another?

...they best not do another live album - fer fucksakes!

Enough of that crap already! give me new material, or, unleash the gems that are reportedly hidden away in...the Vault!!!!!
2nd October 2006 07:16 PM
Some Guy
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

_________-

Perhaps the album and tour would compliment one another?

...they best not do another live album - fer fucksakes!

Enough of that crap already! give me new material, or, unleash the gems that are reportedly hidden away in...the Vault!!!!!

are gems in the vault???
2nd October 2006 08:01 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

are gems in the vault???

Word is several hundred unreleased tracks...

some of those gotta be keepers!

Don't forget, if Keith had his way, Satisfaction would have been buried.
3rd October 2006 10:06 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think Gazza may have made this point in the past and its true. The way the Stones operate on such a large scale means it would be almost impossible for them to do one off shows etc. They'd have to completely turn around they’re way of doing things and lets face it, I really don’t think they could be bothered. There’s probably too little money it for them!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)