ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Leaving a Mexican Restaurant in Halifax, NS - September 22
© Tzonistac
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The End Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th September 2006 01:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Riffy got me thinking....

>"the Stones are in the midst of their long goodbye tour.<"

OK ... fair enough perhaps. But look....lets say the Stones stopped touring...even recording....which I don't think they'll do right off but that doesn't mean the spirit dies it just takes on a different form....another phase. Stones is forever. no?
28th September 2006 01:13 PM
MrPleasant Unfortunately, for the most part, young people don't care about good music. They're generally too busy looking at themselves, trying to spot each other defects. Homogenizing, building up walls. Looking for terror.

28th September 2006 01:14 PM
glencar Who the fuck cares? They'll retire or they won't. I love them & all but I've seen enough shows & I've got all their CD's & Sirius radio. I don't want them going on & on for no good reason. Read a book.
28th September 2006 01:17 PM
rasputin56
quote:
glencar wrote:
Who the fuck cares? They'll retire or they won't. I love them & all but I've seen enough shows & I've got all their CD's & Sirius radio. I don't want them going on & on for no good reason. Read a book.

That, sir, is a fine post.
28th September 2006 01:18 PM
glencar The Triple Entente lives!

Seriously, Motels starts many threads about nothing. This is yet another...
28th September 2006 01:20 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >I don't want them going on & on for no good reason.<

I agree....there's a time and a season for everything. But knowing the Stones I think they'll push it ... with a tendency to push it, perhaps, too far. After all they are the "bad boys".
28th September 2006 01:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Name ONE.

I never started a thread about NOTHING .... ever!
28th September 2006 01:28 PM
Ten Thousand Motels However now that you mention it....the concept does intrigue me.
28th September 2006 02:42 PM
glencar less than meets the eye.
28th September 2006 07:22 PM
Steel Wheels The road goes on and on, with the Stones in the lead car...a loud, nasty old hot rod!
28th September 2006 07:28 PM
MrPleasant What's fucked up is that probably Jagger and Richards will continue as the Rolling Stones (like Townshend & Daltrey), after Ronnie or Charlie call it a day.

There will be fetuses purchasing tickets and they won't even know who Mick Taylor was.
28th September 2006 07:39 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
However now that you mention it....the concept does intrigue me.

We cannot discuss nothing, because once we do, it becomes something.

28th September 2006 08:10 PM
Riffhard The last thing that I wanted to do with the "long good bye tour" line was try and second guess the band's intentions for the future. However,I have heard from some very reliable sources that this is it with regards to major touring is concerned. Charlie is ready to hang it up. This has been confirmed to me by everyone from the higher ups at Virgin to Ian MacLagen. I don't think it comes as a real shock to anyone though. These guys have been going at it for 44 years now afterall! Plus the time that goes into planning a stadium tour that the Stones would be willing to put their name on just makes the possiblity of another one seem a little far fetched.

The fact is that it is time for the Stones to enjoy the fruits of their labours. Charlie has been married to the same woman since 1962,and it's time that they start living the married life. The Stones actully picked up their touring pace significantly over the last decade knowing full well that they had better get it while the getting was good. Make hay while the sun shines,and all that.

The likes of the Rolling Stones will never be seen again in the world of rock and roll,and I take comfort in the fact that I was wise enough to see them plenty of times before this era came to a close. I will miss them terribly,but shall always cherish memories of the greatest concerts ever,and just the great times that this band has given me over the decades. Plus I have made friends that will last me a lifetime because of five scrawny kids from sleepy London town.

Not a bad run if you ask me. Not bad at all.

Riffy
28th September 2006 08:18 PM
LadyJane I JUST stopped crying from your last post and now THIS!!! Riffy!!! Your love for this Band touches me.

Yeah...I feel it. And I'm not the only one. I just feel this is really it. Breaks my heart, yet I feel very blessed to have had the shows that I have.

I really believe these Boards and the friendships we've made here will never end. They will help us get through. We can still have summits. That is what friends do. Get together, reminisce and make new memories.

I will cherish every moment of Soldier Field and Boardwalk Hall.

LJ.
28th September 2006 08:19 PM
pdog
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Unfortunately, for the most part, young people don't care about good music. They're generally too busy looking at themselves, trying to spot each other defects. Homogenizing, building up walls. Looking for terror.

That's something an old person would say!
28th September 2006 08:23 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
glencar wrote:
The Triple Entente lives!

Seriously, Motels starts many threads about nothing. This is yet another...

Here, here!
28th September 2006 08:29 PM
pdog Nothing is my favorite thing to do, usually something happens, and it could be anything!
As lame as that sounded, it actually is fun when done properly.
Worst case, I masturbate, and that is self inlficted bliss!
28th September 2006 08:41 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
These guys have been going at it for 44 years now afterall!
Riffy

My grandpa retired from Southern Pacific Railroad after 43 years, so that does put it in perspective. I fully, though sadly, agree. L'Entente vive!
28th September 2006 08:45 PM
pdog Did grandpa get loaded and bang tons of beautiful women... I bet he would've stayed on longer if he had those perks along with sick amounts of money!
28th September 2006 08:48 PM
Riffhard
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
I really believe these Boards and the friendships we've made here will never end. They will help us get through. We can still have summits. That is what friends do. Get together, reminisce and make new memories.

LJ.

Yes LJ! Indeed the summits must continue! I posted on The Couch earlier today that we must have a Summit Of Reflection when this Stonsian party does finally come to a halt. This we shall do! With a little help from Scope and Maxy and Scoxy Productions we will have hours of Stones' footage and mucho beverages to imbibe in. We will laugh. We will cry. We will drink,and we will reflect on a lifestyle that goes on even after the band has taken their final bows,and it will be good!

Riffy
28th September 2006 08:48 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
pdog wrote:
Did grandpa get loaded and bang tons of beautiful women... I bet he would've stayed on longer if he had those perks along with sick amounts of money!

No, we had to wait for my generation to do that, though it may be one or two more generations before the sick amounts of money roll in.
28th September 2006 08:51 PM
mrhipfl Fuck, I hate when people talk about the stones retiring. It's not like they have a real job. Yes it's a job that gets them money, but it was a hobby before they got paid. They started the band because of their love for making and playing music. They started it because they love to have a good time and show others a good time. And, as you can see from Pics and videos and their efforts, they still have a great time and show others a great time. It's not like a painter will suddenly stop painting pictures just because he has enough money for the rest of his life. This could be the last tour of this grand scale, of course, but the B2B tour could have been the last one as well. It all depends on their health and relationships with each other. But, all of the stones love making music, and I feel they truly love each other. All of them will continue making and performing music until they are no longer capable to do so. That doesn't mean that they'll do it together, but they could. And so what if they can't fill stadiums any more? Their in their fuckin 60's people! It's insane they've been able to do it for this long, and I bet they could pull it off again. And if they can't they'll just play arenas, parks, theaters, etc. on a smaller scale. Sorry, I'm a bad writer and am getting all over the place, but hopefully you can see some of my points.
28th September 2006 11:50 PM
glencar Sorry mrhipfl, it's all over now. They've effing earned it. We'll always treasure the memories & I guess we'll have those crappy tribute bnads.
29th September 2006 02:44 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
However,I have heard from some very reliable sources that this is it with regards to major touring is concerned. Charlie is ready to hang it up. This has been confirmed to me by everyone from the higher ups at Virgin to Ian MacLagen.

Just one question on this Riffhard: have you heard similar information from these sources in the past tours? Cause if they've hinted about it before, that probably reinfonces the fact that these people (Stones) are unpredictable.

On the one hand, yes, it seems possible this might be the last big tour. On the other hand, try counting how many times we've all been sure it was going to be the last time, this past decade at least. Almost every single tour.

And yet they keep coming back for more.

What I'm trying to say is you can't predict anything. We couldn't predict Keith was going to fall and smash his head. We couldn't predict if he'd recover from it. But he did. And they're still on the road.

Likewise, they might indeed call it a day next summer but perhaps they'll take a breather and dive at it again. I don't think they're good at stopping. It's been their way of life for all their adulthood. It's not a usual day job that you just retire from. Charlie, I'm sure, is tired by the life on the road- but even so, I'm not that certain he'd like it to stop. If he did, he wouldn't have done the ABB tour to start with, which turned out to be a huge one.

Anyway, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I just think we shouldn't make a big deal out of pondering when it'll be the last time. It'll be the one when we wake up tomorrow and the Stones say it's over. But none of us -including reliable sources at EMI etc. - can be 100% dead on about what's on these people's minds.
29th September 2006 07:32 AM
mrhipfl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Sorry mrhipfl, it's all over now. They've effing earned it. We'll always treasure the memories & I guess we'll have those crappy tribute bnads.

how do you know it's over? Gimme some facts because I don't see it at all. I can see it being the end of an era, but not their carreer.
29th September 2006 07:36 AM
Steel Wheels Funny, I see this tour as a victory not a goodbye: they are giging to support their best album in over 25 years.
29th September 2006 08:19 AM
Bitch OK this might be the last grand scale tour, but I repeat, from the May 10 Press Conference, both MICK & KEEF said they will NOT have a final or farewell or good-bye tour. They will continue to play until they die. So maybe it will morph into small performances at special occasions and private functions, TV appearances, etc. Maybe MICK & KEEF will do some duet performances (my wet dream), maybe solo projects, oe studio releases that have been remastered. MICK has said the STONES have vaults of unreleased music, they could take years to go through it all. STONES music could go on for 20 more years, look at BB King, he's 80 and still touring. Dont you think MICK has the energy for it? And KEEF the inner desire to let the tiger out of the cage? I think Charlie might want a break, but he even says theres nothing else he would rather do than play drums. RONNIE loves to play, he does impromptu solo performances with his many musician friends. With all the excitement in their lives, do you think they could ever be happy for very long at home in a "rocking" chair?
29th September 2006 08:27 AM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
pdog wrote:
Did grandpa get loaded and bang tons of beautiful women... I bet he would've stayed on longer if he had those perks along with sick amounts of money!

That sir, is some hilarious postin'!!!

Two thumbs up!
29th September 2006 08:59 AM
marko I honestly think,that we´re NOT going to see them after next year.IF we´re lucky,maybe few shows here and there.But
as Gazza has stated many times before,stones need to change
their working ways,and i don´t believe thats gonna happen.
They´ve been touring like this since 1969.If we see them,,
that could an occasion like NYC-01,where Mick&keith did
2 songs,but thats all.Stones are NOT going to tour like
this after next year.I also do think,keiths not able to
anymore,his playing is other side of the edge,.
29th September 2006 09:51 AM
PeerQueer Yup - last full scale tour the boys will do.

...there will likely be smaller shows here and there though.

And guess what?

The vaults are prepared and awaiting release of some fantastic material, and, a possible new album of new material has already taken some shape.

Stones aren't quite done yet lads...
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)