ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA, Rocktober 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Virgin Records Marketing Sucks Return to archive
October 1st, 2005 08:39 PM
LeedsLungs71 How was ABB marketed in your home town?

Virgin did not market ABB well at the Fairfax, Virginia Tower Records that's for sure! You wouldn't even know the Stones had a new album out unless you had already seen the ABB cover somewhere else.

I thought they would use the Stones' logo (big red tongue/lips) as a huge display with copies of ABB racked inside the tongue. That would've been a cool display. They also could have give out a bonus CD of some live tracks from the current tour. Give the fans a reason to plunk down 15 bucks for the CD.

No promotion at all here in Northern Virginia and the DC area. No radio songs, no radio ads, no tie ins with the upcoming show at MCI Center on Monday.

A total flop here in Washington DC beltway area.

Oh well. I don't work for Virgin. I'm just a fan.
October 1st, 2005 08:42 PM
Some Guy It is a bust!
October 2nd, 2005 01:44 AM
Taptrick
Sad to know there are people getting paid actual salaries at Virgin for such amatuer work. An 18-year old in a marketing 101 class at a junior college could do better.
I certainly wouldn't want to have to acknowledge I worked for Virgin...especially the ABB campaign...how embarassing.
I suggest those involved find a new career.

October 2nd, 2005 02:57 AM
riccardo I can tell you that Virgin Italy bought a magazine back page advertising ABB as the album where K&M write again together after 25 years and that inside you will find the best Southern Rock(ROFTL)
October 2nd, 2005 05:09 AM
exile Yes definitely below par on promotion for this album.

Shame really. Its an album worth buying in my opinion.
October 2nd, 2005 05:12 AM
Dan Who here DOESN'T know the Rolling STones have a new album out? I guess it was marketed well enough for me to hear about it. Do your friends and family know the Rolling Stones have a new album out. Maybe no one really cares.

But here is the good news - The Rolling Stones are touring behind the album for at least a year. Has anyone here heard the Rolling Stones are on tour? Do your friends and family know? How well is the tour being marketed?
October 2nd, 2005 06:40 AM
IanBillen [quote]Dan wrote:
Who here DOESN'T know the Rolling STones have a new album out? I guess it was marketed well enough for me to hear about it. Do your friends and family know the Rolling Stones have a new album out. Maybe no one really cares.

But here is the good news - The Rolling Stones are touring behind the album for at least a year. Has anyone here heard the Rolling Stones are on tour? Do your friends and family know? How well is the tour being marketed

Dan you have a good point. The real thing missing here is Radio Play. Virgin really needed to hone in on that instead of Days of Our Lives and NFL partnerships. Make sure the stations play the damn music and speak really well about the album first and foremost.

I realize it is much slimmer pickens than it was 15-20 years ago as far any rock actually being played anymore but the few Rock Stations needed more bits on it and the friggin record stores need a major campaign so when folks walk in the see it.

Driving in the car hearing the songs and good mention of the album
+ going into the record store and seeing they actually have the album=much more sales.

They by-passed this whole route and instead chose TV as a way of getting the album known as U2 did with the whole Apple/ i-Pod campaign.

Only thing is that is not a very Stonesy approach and most aren't buying it....or the album for that matter. It is turning out to be a mistake. It could of done much better if they would of used the old fashion approach just as how they decided to write songs again. Get the damn thing all over the radio and clearly visible in the record stores. That is what was missing this time....and it is hurting.

Don't get me wrong, by no means is it a flop. It could sell over two million copies when it is all said and done. That is a double platinum album. Any double platinum album is by no means any sort of flop. Still it could of been considerably more.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
October 2nd, 2005 09:21 AM
corgi37 The album got zero publicity here, and stuff all airplay.

But, every one reviewed it and gave it a glorious rating.

I just think the older fans dont care. They can never make another JJF or HTW in their eyes.

The middle aged fans probably have "turned" to the evils of Jazz and/or Country.

The younger fans, maybe the late 80's people who came aboard, probably just gave up waiting 8 years.

But, most of all, i think many people just downloaded the sucker for nix.
October 2nd, 2005 09:32 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Well maybe Virgin's thinking about new audiences. I wouldn't have thought Days of Our Lives or NFL fans were a typical Stones market. But times and demographics change.
October 2nd, 2005 12:29 PM
gorda This album did not get any promotion here in Northern California. None whatsoever.

And, I think that a lot of casual fans do not know that the Stones' new album is out or that they are on tour.

October 2nd, 2005 12:58 PM
Dan Corgi makes the best point. Its not that people don't know, its that they don't care.

I've listened to a cumulative 2-3 hours of rock radio (KLOS) in the past month and have heard Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down and Look What The Cat Dragged In numerous times.
October 2nd, 2005 01:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gorda wrote:
This album did not get any promotion here in Northern California. None whatsoever.

Goddammit, man, I miss the good old days. Whatever happened to ole fashioned payola? This consolidation of the media sucks. The high price of bribes is just out of control.
October 2nd, 2005 02:19 PM
tumbling dice They did the worst choice for the single. ONNYA and Rain Fall Down were the best choice.everybody hate streets of love and love ONNYA
October 2nd, 2005 03:03 PM
egon single....?

there is NO single!
October 2nd, 2005 05:04 PM
Saint Sway I'm sick of everyones whining about the lack of promotion
they did a HUGE marketing campaign

• big press conference to promote tour/record live at Lincoln Center in NYC. PACKED w/press. Was on every news show.

• exclusive 1st interview on the Today show - to promote tour/record the next day.

• released Toronto club show footage which got featured on tons of entertainment news programs

• got the Stones a lot of hype with RJ getting played on all the NFL Kickoff promotions. Followed up by the 1-2 punch performance of SMU & RJ on ABC special

• Stones Ameriquest ads are running non-stop on every channel

• iTunes hyped the record w/pre-sale offers and a simultaneous re-release of the previously unavailable ABKCO records

• got the Stones on 2-part Dateline special that was hyped for a full week on the Today show

• performed on prime time MTV/VH1 hurricane relief special

• extensive interview in NEWSWEEK!!!

• COVER STORY in Rolling Stone magazine

• cover stories in tons of magazines: Q, Mojo, Guitar.... plenty of interviews in all kinds of mags

• here in NYC.... their are ABB posters on nearly every block

• well promoted w/large displays in major record stores like Tower & Virgin

• ABB now being sold in Starbucks as well

I ask you: How many bands - if any - in 2005 had that varied of a promotional campaign?

Name another band that was in Newsweek, on the cover of Rolling Stone, promo'd in ABC & ESPN football campaings and performed live on ABC/MTV with special interviews on Dateline and the Today show?

BOTTOM LINE: They've gotten the Stones plenty of media coverage. They've marketed this as best they can by doing everything short of having Charlie Watts make a guest appearance on "The Apprentice". Fact is, everyone knows the Stones have a new record out. Nearly everyone has had a chance to hear Rough Justice. But people just arent interested in buying it. The press has been very good, people know its out - but people no longer care about a new RS record. They'll go to the show and listen to the Forty Licks tunes but people have just been burned too many times by new subpar Stones albums to continue to want to go out and purchase this one.

as a Stones fan, at the end of the day, it might make you feel better to point blame at Virgin's marketing team. But the cold truth is that people dont believe that the Stones have another quality album left in them.

its not selling because of that. And dj's arent going to play a record that doesnt sell.

Virgin hyped the record to the media. The public just isnt buying.

[Edited by Saint Sway]
October 2nd, 2005 06:01 PM
Taptrick
All great image and tour awareness tools. But they didn't market the songs or videos for airplay, they didn't get the Stones to play more hit-possible material live (yet), and they haven't tapped into the the purchasing potential of the live audience. I still like Prince's idea of giving away a copy of the cd with every ticket. I would have made different choices.

October 2nd, 2005 06:06 PM
LeedsLungs71 SS, sounds like they had New York covered...but they totally missed Tower Records here in Fairfax, VA.
October 2nd, 2005 06:07 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

I still like Prince's idea of giving away a copy of the cd with every ticket.

wait a second... on this tour you get the chance to see the Stones live for just $500 AND you want them to throw in a free cd too??

c'mon now... lets not get greedy.
October 2nd, 2005 10:51 PM
Soldatti The marketing for this album was the worst of the history with 3 terrible mistakes:
1- BAD RELEASE DATE (Aug. 23 was the perfect date)
2- BAD SINGLE CHOICE
3- NO VIDEOS
October 3rd, 2005 07:08 AM
corgi37 SS is only referring to what he has seen, and he makes a convincing argument.

But, most of us here dont live in U.S., so we got nothing. Delayed telecasts of Today show, sure, at 3am.

Local radio has totally ignored the new stuff. No clip was just ridiculous. But then again, SOL is pretty damn lame. I am pretty sure sales pick up in every city they visit though, and i wonder if that can be checked?

Here in Oz, the only record shops these days are the big chains (JB) and the younger hipper ones (Sanity).

There was nil, nix, nada promotion in the 2 Sanity stores i visited and my wife and to speak to the Manager to order it when it came out, cause the fuck-wit dim-wit behind the counter had never heard of them.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)