ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
thanks Throbby
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA, Rocktober 1st, 2005
© 2005 Throbby!!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones VH1 Special 11 pm tonight (UK) Return to archive
September 30th, 2005 05:31 PM
Gazza This was shown at 5 pm this afternoon on VH1 CLassics and its being repeated at 11 pm

A 30 minute "Bigger Bang" special with interviews with all the band, some footage of them recording the album (including Mick drumming!) and comments by other artists on the Stones

Its followed by a 30 minute "greatest hits" video special. The first song on the video special is the new promo for "Streets of Love"
September 30th, 2005 05:36 PM
Honky Tonk Man THANK YOU GAZZA!
September 30th, 2005 06:06 PM
pdog Please, someone record this and burn it to DVD...
October 1st, 2005 01:13 AM
riccardo Do you know of any more repeats?
October 1st, 2005 03:08 AM
Honky Tonk Man It was excellent, if a little short!

After the first ten minutes though, I wasn't amused. It looked like it was shaping up to be the same old same old. You know, with all the usual names praising Satisfaction and so on. However, The Stones interviews were very good and so was the footage of them working in the studio. They went on to discuss several of the album tracks, which left me wondering; why not comment on all of them?

As Gazza stated in his post, what followed was just another collection of Stones videos. Aside from the wonderful Streets Of Love video, it wasn't anything that you hadn't seen a million and one times.

It's funny, yet predictable that the programme was tucked away on VH Classics. Ten years ago, such a documentary would have been shown on MTV.
October 1st, 2005 06:19 AM
riccardo Luckily I found out it will be rebroadcasted tonite at Midningh(UK time)and tomorrow Sunday at 12.30 am (again UK time).
October 1st, 2005 07:16 AM
corgi37 Is the SOL vid available anywhere? All we get are BOn Jovi.
October 1st, 2005 07:21 AM
IanBillen [quote]Honky Tonk Man wrote:
It was excellent, if a little short!

After the first ten minutes though, I wasn't amused. It looked like it was shaping up to be the same old same old. You know, with all the usual names praising Satisfaction and so on. However, The Stones interviews were very good and so was the footage of them working in the studio. They went on to discuss several of the album tracks, which left me wondering; why not comment on all of them?

As Gazza stated in his post, what followed was just another collection of Stones videos. Aside from the wonderful Streets Of Love video, it wasn't anything that you hadn't seen a million and one times.

It's funny, yet predictable that the programme was tucked away on VH Classics. Ten years ago, such a documentary would have been shown on MTV.

I do not have VH1. Damn, Damn, Damn. What did it look like where they were recording? Any sign of Don Was and what was he doing? What did they say about the tracks they discussed? What inspired them? anything about the recording style they chose?

I realize it is alot of question Honky Tonk Man. Please fill us in if you would be so kind.
October 1st, 2005 08:20 AM
gorda I have Vh1, but not Vh1 classics.
October 1st, 2005 11:03 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

I do not have VH1. Damn, Damn, Damn. What did it look like where they were recording? Any sign of Don Was and what was he doing? What did they say about the tracks they discussed? What inspired them? anything about the recording style they chose?

I realize it is alot of question Honky Tonk Man. Please fill us in if you would be so kind.

No problem Ian, I'll try my best!

Where were they recording? I didn't catch exactly WHERE they were recording, but Keith commented on how it was a very small room. From the clips shown, it looked like they pretty huddled together.

Any sign of Don Was? No, I don't really recall any footage of him in the studio, but he was interviewed. He seemed like he had his chops together. Basically though, he was just commented on certain songs

What did they say about the tracks they discussed? I can't remember too much, but honestly, it was nothing groundbreaking. Keith did say he was inspired to write This Place Is Empty when Patty was away and he was lonely. Mick commented that one of the tracks started out in a soul style. I think he was referring to Rain Fall Down and Ronnie commented on how much he enjoyed performing Oh No, Not You Again at the Press Conference. Anyway, the tracks they discussed were the following.

Rough Justice
Rain Fall Down
Back Of My Hand
Streets Of Love
This Place Is Empty
Oh No, Not You Again
I think they also commented on Driving Too Fast, but honestly, my minds like a sieve today!

Oh, and Ronnie felt the best Stones album to compare A Bigger Bang too, was Exile On Main Street!

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
October 1st, 2005 12:52 PM
Gazza The studio clips were quite evidently in a house, so it would appear to have been Mick's chateau in France

Typically teasing and infuriating VH1/MTV style of footage in that they show you a clip of something which looks fascinating, but then 20 seconds later they cut to something else. One thing that I noticed was it showed both Mick and Keith doing the harmonizing on the chorus of "Laugh I Nearly Died" yet on the album all the vocals are credited to Mick

If I remember right, the song that they said was originally written in a soul style may have been "it Wont Take Long". I dont think they mentioned Driving Too Fast at all. Keith specifically said how fond he was of "Streets of Love". So there!

The "Streets of Love" video is a basic clip of the band lip synching on a soundstage. Nothing remarkable.
[Edited by Gazza]
October 1st, 2005 01:58 PM
the good
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Keith specifically said how fond he was of "Streets of Love". So there!

I like the song from a musical standpoint, but some of lyrics, like the "awful" stuff, are just "awful"...
October 1st, 2005 07:44 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:
The studio clips were quite evidently in a house, so it would appear to have been Mick's chateau in France

Typically teasing and infuriating VH1/MTV style of footage in that they show you a clip of something which looks fascinating, but then 20 seconds later they cut to something else. One thing that I noticed was it showed both Mick and Keith doing the harmonizing on the chorus of "Laugh I Nearly Died" yet on the album all the vocals are credited to Mick

If I remember right, the song that they said was originally written in a soul style may have been "it Wont Take Long". I dont think they mentioned Driving Too Fast at all. Keith specifically said how fond he was of "Streets of Love". So there!

The "Streets of Love" video is a basic clip of the band lip synching on a soundstage. Nothing remarkable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I can see IWTL starting as a soul number (although you cannot always go by that as I'll mention). I can remember listening to it the first few times and thinking that it had kinda a sway-skip along soulful rythm and tempo like Keys to Your Love or Beast of Burden yet the guitars are totaly Rock. If you chose different guitars and tuning with an organ and de-emphasize the bass drum and bass itself during the chorus you can see how it fits.

See you cannot go by the finished product and instantly know who wrote what. Songs can be started one way and end up completely different. Alot of times entire parts are replaced with something different or are changed yet this should not erase the fact that an idea was there or a base that started the whole thing. This is why you really can't just listen to a song, especially a Rolling Stones song and say ah-ha, this one is so Mick or so Keith. They surely wrote this. It just doesn't always work like that in the bare bones of the writing process. Reguardless I am sorry I missed it. Also who-ever mastered this album (we know who recorded it) did a fuckin fantastic job. You can bring it up very loud and not hear any distortion. It all deals with the amount of head room while recording and the job they did mastering it.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)