ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie guests at taping of Jerry Lee lewis TV special 28/9/06 Return to archive
29th September 2006 08:08 PM
Gazza from www.jerryleelewis.nl. Thanks to DeVullusband on IORR for the link

A second taping was scheduled to take place to day with Willie Nelson as one of the guests :

http://www.jerryleelewis.nl/en/news.htm

Reports of last night's taping of PBS show
Don Gervasi:

"Jerry performed with Kenny Lovelace, Jimmy Rip, a drummer, keyboard, guitar player and steel guitar. Jerry sang at least two songs each with the following guest artists for the taping of a future PBS special. Jerry was in great form and it was a very special,exciting event. Jerry did duets with:

Don Henley
Chris Isaac
Solomon Burke
Nora Jones
Tom Jones
Buddy Guy
Kid Rock

Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones played guitar through most of the show. It was a great show. And I am not kidding when I say great! We were fortunate to be right near the stage. Jerry seemed relaxed and in good spirits. They ran through each song twice and got it down pat. Its a HIT!"

Kay Martin:

"You will all understand (I hope) that I was having such a GREAT TIME that I didn't take notes. I thought I would remember everything, but some of the song titles have faded from my brain.... Bad news, regardless that I had been told that I could use my digital camera, the director said anyone using a camera would be ejected. Cecil, however, being "family" was allowed to use his little disposable with flash. PBS and the record company had hired photogs who were snapping away like crazy. I was told some of the shots could appear on www.startraks.com (hope I remember THAT correctly as I didn't write that down either). The director said that the finished PBS Great Performances special will probably be 90 minutes, but he didn't have an air date yet.

Jerry took 10-15 minute breaks between some of the segments. His voice was terrific. The piano playing was thunderous and savage. He took short sips of water to keep his throat in tune. Jerry stayed in charge of each segment, along with Jimmy Rip. Usually the first run-through of each song was a "rehearsal" and the second "take" was a keeper. I think only one needed to be done a third time because of technical audio problems. I'll get more info later, but here anyway is as much as I recall now:

Ronnie Wood was featured on guitar in each segment. The other musicians on stage were Nils Lofgren, Hutch Hutchinson, Jim Keltner, Jimmy Rip, Kenny Lovelace (sitting down through most of the show), an organ player, a steel guitar player, and two female background singers. I know there was someone else whose name I did not get. I'll try to fill in those blanks tonight.

Don Henley was first. He was on stage when Jerry arrived. Jerry sang "You Win Again" with him and another title.... Solomon Burke, an extremely large man who uses a wheel chair, needed a ramp to get up on stage. He sat in a HUGE wooden armchair next to the piano. The first song was a country number (?), but then they did "Who Will The Next Fool Be." I began doubting whether they could pull it off, because Jerry always told me he couldn't remember the words every time I requested it. Sure enough, he started telling Solomon he didn't remember the words... but between the two of them, it came off beautifully (and Jerry remembered all of it, finally).

A huge thrill to me personally was Chris Isaak, who was next on the show. I've seen Chris perform about 10 times and love him so much. Pairing Chris with Jerry was just so exciting, but doesn't explain why I only remember one song they did. Chris came on the stage while Jerry was on a break and he sang "It Hurt Me So" by himself, just as a kind of warm-up. I was hoping he and Jerry would do "Bonnie B," since this is a staple in Chris's stage performance, but no. They did a song I can't remember right now, and "Over The Rainbow." Chris went over and shook Jerry's hand after that and I just flipped. My two favorite singers in the world today, shaking hands, and me with NO CAMERA! Well, the image is burned in my brain. We remember Jerry sang "Rocking My Life Away" but not sure who else was on it.

After another break, Norah Jones sang "Crazy Arms" and "Your Cheating Heart" with Jerry. She did not play the piano. J.W. was raving about her incredible talent -- he's right! Tom Jones and Jerry had great rapport, having performed together in the past. The first song they did was "Funny How Time Slips Away," a reprise of the duet many years ago on TJ's own show. Then they sang their hit "Green Green Grass of Home." I thought they'd do "It'll Be Me," another of their hits, but instead they did a fine rendition of "End of the Road," one of Jerry's own compositions.

Buddy Guy sang and played his ringing guitar on "Hadacol Boogie," finally one that's on the CD, and "Before The Night is Over," with Buddy playing B.B.'s licks. The last guest was Kid Rock (known to Jerry by his given name, Bobby). For all that's been said critically about him, I have to express that Jerry really likes him. He and Jerry ran through "Honky Tonk Women," another CD cut, with Ron Wood enjoying the romp. They closed with "Little Queenie," and yes, Bobby jumped on the piano. Jerry said that when he did, Jerry was worried that Bobby would break it.

Oh, a word or two about the piano! A grand, specially customed for Jerry with red flames painted on its sides and the "Jerry Lee Lewis" faux signature logo from the CD on the front where you'd usually see the piano maker's logo. FINALLY a piano with which Jerry couldn't find fault -- one commensurate with his talent and one he deserves. I hope after this gig that they send it down to Nesbit for him!

Okay, more tonight: Willie Nelson is expected and possibly some more Stones, but I have no idea on that." (er...as the Stones are in Louisville tonight, you can forget that rumour.... - Gazza)

[Edited by Gazza]
29th September 2006 08:18 PM
Nellcote This explains why JLL was not live on Imus In The Morning, three hour tv show Wednesday 27 September. He is scheduled for 03 October. Looks like a fall of JLL. Can't wait to see this PBS special with RW, of course, it may be shown during "pledge" month for max donations....
Thanks for the 411 Gazza...
29th September 2006 08:55 PM
glencar American Masters series maybe?
30th September 2006 10:53 AM
gimmekeef When will Kid Rock go away....#@%CX@#%&
30th September 2006 11:11 AM
crb69 KID ROCK can be annoying when he screeches I'll admit that...but the guy stands for talented rock music and he is talented or he wouldn't be up there with the "pros"...I used to think the same thing...would you rather watch the P diddy's, Kanye West's, and Ashley Simpson's in the world today?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)