ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It's Official: Keith & Mick Still Awesome (Rolling Stone Article) Return to archive
29th September 2006 07:38 AM
justinkurian Live Review: The Rolling Stones and Kanye West at Giants Stadium

The Stones bring the rock, West brings the roll on New Jersey pit stop

by David Fricke

It's official: Keith Richards is indestructible. When it was time for his traditional two-song spotlight at the Rolling Stones' September 27th concert at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, Richards acknowledged the crowd's chanting -- "Keith! Keith!" -- with a deep bow and his even deeper growl: "Well, I made it," he said, pausing. "I said I would."

Richards then bypassed the recent ballads that are his usual feature for a bare, beautiful rendering of "You Got the Silver" from Let It Bleed, the first half of it nothing more than Ron Wood's roadhouse skid on acoustic bottleneck guitar and the strong, clear gratitude in Richards' voice: "You fill my cup, babe, that's for sure/I must come back for a little more." He was in more familiar form in the next song, Tattoo You's "Little T & A" -- firing irregular bursts of Chuck Berry licks on his guitar, rumbling through the lyrics' cheerful nonsense with the grin of a man who thinks falling out of palm trees and brain surgery are just bumps on a road that never ends.

The show was the Stones' third pass through this neighborhood in the last year, and the first half of the set list was a welcome change-up. Wood delivered clean-shriek slide breaks back-to-back on "Monkey Man" and the Exile on Main Street gem "Sway." He also showed off his sweet-country pedal-steel touch in the Some Girls ballad "Far Away Eyes" while Jagger turned up the impassioned-hayseed factor with his sing-song vocal.

Lift-off was not immediate. Richards' and Wood's criss-cross riffing in the opening songs, "It's Only Rock and Roll" and "Live With Me," was muddy and hesitant. Richards did little of his dancing-pirate posing, instead bending over his guitar in concentration. But he played a simple, piercing Telecaster break in the Temptations' cover, "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)," and the Stones felt confident enough in their combined strength to go long in "Midnight Rambler." Jagger blew agitated blues harp (something he never does enough of on stage or record), Charlie Watts showed off the jazz in his calm precision -- dancing at high speed on his cymbals and hi-hat -- and Wood and Richards stood together in front of Watts' kit, watching each other's hands as they traded phrases in heated treble.

Kanye West opened the show looking collegiate in a gray sweater, white shirt and black tie. As he took the stage -- with a six-piece string section, a concert harpist, a DJ and backing singers -- he exuded both confidence and respect, remarking how honored he was to be a rap artist on a Stones gig, then telling the crowd to pay attention to the blues and R&B in his music as well. West managed to work in a dig at this magazine, too (over a perceived dis in our recent cover story on him). But he worked hard for his applause, racing from side to side as he duetted with the Ray Charles sample in "Gold Digger."

And West got away with a neat trick when he had the strings play the opening hook of the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony." That, of course, is the lick from the 1965 Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra version of "The Last Time" -- which surely made this the first time the Stones ever opened for themselves.

To catch the Stones on their U.S. trek, check out their remaining tour dates:

September 29 -- Churchill Downs, Louisville, KY
October 1 -- Cessna Stadium, Wichita, KS
October 4 -- Grizzly Stadium, Missoula, MT
October 6 -- Mosaic Stadium, Regina, SK
October 8 -- Mosaic Stadium, Regina, SK
October 11 -- Soldier Field, Chicago, IL
October 17 -- Qwest Field, Seattle, WA
October 20 -- Sun Bowl Stadium, El Paso, TX
October 22 -- Zilker Park, Austin, TX
October 27 -- Boardwalk Hall, Atlantic City, NJ
November 3 -- BC Place Stadium, Vancouver, BC
November 5 -- McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, CA
November 8 -- University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, AZ
November 11 -- MGM Grand Hotel Garden Arena, Las Vegas, NV
November 14 -- Idaho Center Arena, Nampa, ID
November 18 -- Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles, CA
November 22 -- Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, HI

Posted Sep 28, 2006 11:07 AM
29th September 2006 08:34 AM
corgi37 Nice enough reveiw. And, i have to agree, Exile is nothing without Sway.
29th September 2006 08:39 AM
marko well,Mick is.
29th September 2006 09:21 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Nice enough reveiw. And, i have to agree, Exile is nothing without Sway.

Fricke is wrong....Sway is from Sticky Fingers...geeeeeeesh
29th September 2006 09:49 AM
not bound to please
quote:
justinkurian wrote:

Kanye West opened the show looking collegiate in a gray sweater, white shirt and black tie. As he took the stage -- with a six-piece string section, a concert harpist, a DJ and backing singers -- he exuded both confidence and respect, remarking how honored he was to be a rap artist on a Stones gig, then telling the crowd to pay attention to the blues and R&B in his music as well. West managed to work in a dig at this magazine, too (over a perceived dis in our recent cover story on him). But he worked hard for his applause, racing from side to side as he duetted with the Ray Charles sample in "Gold Digger."

And West got away with a neat trick when he had the strings play the opening hook of the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony." That, of course, is the lick from the 1965 Andrew Loog Oldham Orchestra version of "The Last Time" -- which surely made this the first time the Stones ever opened for themselves.

Very cool.

Too bad it was probably lost on most of the attendees, fanatics and hot rocks fans both.

29th September 2006 11:09 AM
luxury1 next show I am going to stand in the front with a sign that reads "Hey Mick, turn up the impassioned hayseed-factor!" What a great line.

And some of us did enjoy Kayne West.
29th September 2006 01:53 PM
throbby Christ, what a puff piece. Whatever happened to the Rolling Stone?

You'd have to dig pretty deep to find that "gem" on Exile.
29th September 2006 01:56 PM
glencar
quote:
luxury1 wrote:

And some of us did enjoy Kayne West.

I look forward to Elvis at Soldier Field. I wish I'd seen Kanye at Gillette.
29th September 2006 02:25 PM
The Wick
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Fricke is wrong....Sway is from Sticky Fingers...geeeeeeesh

You're all wrong....Sway is from Dirty Work...geeeeeeesh
29th September 2006 03:29 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
The Wick wrote:

You're all wrong....Sway is from Dirty Work...geeeeeeesh

LOL...Right..had it been..it would have been the single!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)