ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Beacon Birthday Bash Return to archive
28th September 2006 01:21 PM
GotToRollMe Bill Clinton's 60th Birthday Benefit Blowout

By Dan Balz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, September 28, 2006; Page C01

Baby boomer and former president Bill Clinton is laying plans to celebrate his 60th birthday in grand style with a charitable fundraising extravaganza in New York late next month that will include an invitation-only concert by the Rolling Stones and contributor packages that run to $500,000 and higher.

Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, who has generally avoided high-profile participation in her parents' political and philanthropic activities, is serving as co-host of the three-day party. She will host a Saturday brunch on a weekend that also features a golf tournament at the Bayonne (N.J.) Golf Club, multiple receptions and a dinner at the American Museum of Natural History with the former president, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Chelsea.

"My mother and I are planning a weekend of events to commemorate his [Clinton's] 60th birthday," Chelsea Clinton writes in the invitation. "I know that he would want you to share this milestone -- so I hope you can join us in New York City this October 27th through the 29th."

The 2,100 invitations began arriving this week. Weekend packages start at $60,000 (Hint: $1,000 for every year of Clinton's age). Next is the "Vice Chair Package," for those who contribute $100,000 or raise $250,000. Those who pledge $500,000 or more will receive the "Birthday Chair Package," which includes the "Backstage Pass" dinner and photo with Clinton and platinum seating at the Saturday dinner and the Stones concert.

The Rolling Stones will perform at the Beacon Theater, an art deco landmark on upper Broadway that seats about 3,000 people. According to the invitation, the concert will be taped for an upcoming Martin Scorsese movie about the band. Organizers of the event would not say whether the Stones will be paid for their appearance.

Space in the theater is expected to be at a premium, and members of the extended Clinton network who may not be able to afford the hefty price of admission for the weekend events already are maneuvering to find a way into the concert.

"It's a birthday party," Clinton spokesman Jay Carson said yesterday. "It's the New York birthday celebration for President Clinton."

Clinton turned 60 in August but organizers delayed the birthday fundraising event until late October to avoid any complaints from other Democrats that solicitation of money for the former president's foundation would soak up money that could otherwise be used to try to win back the House and Senate in November.

The proceeds will go to the William J. Clinton Foundation, the umbrella organization that oversees the Clinton HIV-AIDS initiative, the Clinton Global Initiative and several other programs launched by the former president since he left office almost six years ago.

Clinton collected more than $7 billion in commitments to his Global Initiative project last week in New York. His foundation staged an event similar to the planned October fundraiser in Toronto recently and collected approximately $20 million. Organizers won't put a figure on what they expect to raise in New York next month but are anticipating a significantly larger take than the Canadian event generated.

Former Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe is listed as the co-host with Chelsea Clinton.

The celebration of all things Clinton will come less than two weeks before Hillary Clinton is expected to cruise to reelection, after which she will turn her attention to a possible 2008 presidential campaign.

She is widely expected to seek the presidency, although her husband and other advisers say she will not make a final decision until the 2006 campaign is over. No doubt the weekend celebration will prompt further speculation that she already has decided.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/27/AR2006092702088.html?nav=rss_politics

28th September 2006 01:23 PM
GotToRollMe Bill Clinton's 60th party to last 3 days

NEW YORK, Sept. 28 (UPI) -- Tickets to former U.S. President Bill Clinton's belated 60th birthday party in New York start at $60,000, a private Rolling Stones concert included.

While Clinton's birthday was Aug. 19, organizers delayed the fundraising event until late October to avoid complaints from Democrats the money raised for Clinton's charitable foundation would be lost to campaign contributions for November's mid-term elections.

Some 2,100 invitations have been sent for the event, which will run from Oct. 27 to Oct. 29, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

Clinton's daughter, Chelsea, will host a Saturday brunch featuring a golf tournament at the Bayonne (N.J.) Golf Club, multiple receptions and a dinner at the American Museum of Natural History with Clinton and his wife, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, D-N.Y.

The Rolling Stones will perform at the 3,000-seat Beacon Theater, and the invitation says the concert will be taped for an upcoming Martin Scorsese movie about the band.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060928-074415-6434r

28th September 2006 01:25 PM
Factory Girl Next they be playing barmitzvahs & Bar-be-ques.

IS IT the $$$$? Are they getting a cut of Bill's Bday booty?
28th September 2006 01:30 PM
monkey_man Will trade an extra AC ticket for the Beacon!
28th September 2006 01:32 PM
glencar I just hoep the film is all about the music. I don't need to see the Charlatan/anti-Christ in huge image up on teh screen. I really despise that shitbird.
28th September 2006 01:38 PM
gimmekeef Organizers will not say whether the Stones will be paid???........Ya right!!...lol...Thats about 5 million yuk yuks....
28th September 2006 01:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels This is just celebrity worship stupidity....and they wonder why the republicans do so well AFTER wrecking the counrty. JB is right, the dems need a leader and it ain't Howard Dean.
28th September 2006 01:40 PM
MrPleasant Do U.S. presidents get some sort of pension?
28th September 2006 01:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
Do U.S. presidents get some sort of pension?

Yes...plus stock options.

28th September 2006 01:44 PM
telecaster
quote:
glencar wrote:
I just hoep the film is all about the music. I don't need to see the Charlatan/anti-Christ in huge image up on teh screen. I really despise that shitbird.

No shit

What the hell are The Stones doing this for?

This is Barbara Streisand territory

28th September 2006 01:45 PM
glencar It's total bullshit. I have $60K but I will NOT spend it there!
28th September 2006 01:46 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes...plus stock options.

This whole "democracy", "war on terrorism", "say no to drugs" reaganism, etcetera, is just a giant flaccid penis hanging all over the world. Sorry for my unsophistication.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
28th September 2006 01:47 PM
glencar You meant flaccid. I think. You ARE unsophisticated, aincha?
28th September 2006 01:48 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
glencar wrote:
You meant flaccid. I think. You ARE unsophisticated, aincha?

Yeah

This fucking language barrier. Thanks for the indication.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
28th September 2006 02:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Yeah

This fucking language barrier.

LOL. That can present problems....
28th September 2006 02:07 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

LOL. That can present problems....

Sometimes. But, you know, the way Mick yells "mueve las caderas" ("shake your hips") in "Hey Negrita" is strangely moving for me.
28th September 2006 02:47 PM
GimmeExile Interesting how Scorsese is filming the show which is to be included in a movie about the band. It sounds like he's doing a bigger project on the Stones a la "No Direction Home."
28th September 2006 02:49 PM
glencar The proposed title for the movie is "Warhorses."
28th September 2006 02:50 PM
RollingstonesUSA
quote:
glencar wrote:
The proposed title for the movie is "Warhorses."

Complete with a DVD/CD combo....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)