ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: exile desciples rejoice! let it loose hits the big time - in scorsese film! Return to archive
27th September 2006 11:45 AM
texile i love scorsese and have been looking forward to this film - although his recent devotion to the dicaprio kid is irksome...
the real shit here is that let it loose is in a fucking movie! this is reason for all us exile desciples to rejoice..
I will be at the theaters....

Mick Jagger Rolls With Scorsese

There might have been a tense moment last night at the star-studded premiere of Martin Scorsese’s “The Departed.” That’s because the surprise guests for the night were Mick Jagger and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. Two of their famous songs, “Gimme Shelter” and “Let It Loose,” are integral parts of the soundtrack.

I asked Mick later at the big party at Guastavino’s what it was like to suddenly hear his music pop up in a film unannounced.

“It’s OK if it’s Martin Scorsese,” he replied with a big grin.

Jagger and Wood stayed at the party for a short time — they’ve got a gig tonight at the Meadowlands — but long enough to congratulate Scorsese and the actors in this really mesmerizing film.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements
RelatedColumn Archive
Full-page Fox411 ArchiveBut the Stones seemed to stay away from members of another famous rock group most of the night — Bono and The Edge from U2. The latter pair huddled in a green room at the Ziegfeld Theater with Scorsese and eschewed the party altogether (and The Edge was spotted taking a bathroom break right before the movie’s exciting climax).

But there were plenty of A-listers who turned out for “The Departed,” including stars Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Alec Baldwin, who nearly steals the movie doing comedy shtick with Mark Wahlberg, came to the screening but skipped the festivities with a good excuse: an early call this morning. He left lovely girlfriend Nicole Seidel on her own, and she spent quality time with Damon and his newish wife, Lucy.

Elsewhere at Guastavino’s, Scorsese and his wife, Helen, held court at the main table with Nicholson, "Saturday Night Live" guru Lorne Michaels and temporarily at least, Jagger.

Lorraine Bracco came by to say hello, as did Billy Joel (with wife, Katie), Dana Delany, plus Regis and Joy Philbin and Michael and Laurie Gelman.

Nicholson made time alternately for the great Lauren Bacall, who came to congratulate him on his wildly fun performance, and co-star Vera Farmiga.

When Bacall couldn’t get Nicholson’s attention at first, she quipped: “You’re too busy looking down that girl’s dress.”

Indeed, Nicholson was enraptured by the lithe young beauty beside him, who was identified for me by those in the know as 22-year-old Paz de la Huerta.

Jack, who will turn 70 next April, still has the best taste, that’s for sure!

Meanwhile, all of the guests were knocked out by “The Departed,” which played very well to the Ziegfeld crowd. Matt Damon said, “The idea of doing a movie in Boston with an accent and Marty Scorsese, there’s nothing better.”

The last time Damon got a chance to trot out his homeboy patois was a decade ago in “Good Will Hunting.” A lot has changed since then — Damon is a movie star, he’s married, has an 8-year-old stepdaughter and a baby girl.

He was a little unprepared for Nicholson’s on-set shenanigans, but he rose to the occasion. So did Scorsese. He told me, “We had Jack for 25 days, and that was it. Nothing more. So we had to use that to our advantage.”

Nicholson chews through “The Departed” like the movie’s mascot rat might through wire. Nothing is safe in his path. After he finished one scene with DiCaprio, the latter’s character continues in conversation. Suddenly Jack appears behind him, and Leo is none the wiser at first. “All improvised,” Scorsese admitted. “You can see the shock on Leo’s face.”

Why all the commotion from Nicholson? Recently, a friend of his offered this suggestion: “Marlon Brando really treated Jack badly on the set of 'The Missouri Breaks' [1976]. Jack was the hot star coming off of 'Chinatown,' and Brando — even after 'The Godfather' — didn’t want to be upstaged. Jack went into 'The Departed' determined to do to Leo and Matt what Brando had done to him.”

Of course, the big difference is that "The Missouri Breaks" was one of the great flops of its time. "The Departed" has "hit" written all over it.

Damon and DiCaprio will be vying for Best Actor nods, while Nicholson (and perhaps Baldwin) will be getting supporting actor attention. Thelma Schoonmaker is a cinch for editing awards, and there will be many more end-of-the-year kudos for this raucous, stupendous film.

27th September 2006 11:53 AM
Gazza >That’s because the surprise guests for the night were Mick Jagger and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. Two of their famous songs, “Gimme Shelter” and “Let It Loose,” are integral parts of the soundtrack.

Try telling Mick its one of their "most famous songs". He's probably forgotten all about it, even though it contains what is quite probably the greatest vocal performance of his career

Ah well, if the soundtrack thing was able to resurrect "She smiled aweetly" from the crypt at Roseland four years ago, theres hope for this one yet.

27th September 2006 12:13 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>That’s because the surprise guests for the night were Mick Jagger and Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones. Two of their famous songs, “Gimme Shelter” and “Let It Loose,” are integral parts of the soundtrack.

Try telling Mick its one of their "most famous songs". He's probably forgotten all about it, even though it contains what is quite probably the greatest vocal performance of his career

Ah well, if the soundtrack thing was able to resurrect "She smiled aweetly" from the crypt at Roseland four years ago, theres hope for this one yet.

true,
but i think jagger feigns contempt to appear disinterested and to be contrary.
i think that's his way to protect his own thoughts....
let it loose, for example, is a powerful, emotional song and i don't think jagger likes to be that open to the public and so he dismisses it.
but the song will get exposure in a good film (it's scorsese)so that's got to be a milestone for exile fans.
27th September 2006 12:53 PM
glencar I've been looking forward to this flick ANYWAY but this will definitely get my ass in the theater.
27th September 2006 01:36 PM
Soldatti A pic from last night:

27th September 2006 01:38 PM
glencar
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
A pic from last night:

That's bad. Leo actually looks cooler than Mick. No wonder Mick left early.
27th September 2006 02:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl With Martin Scorsese (thanks moy)

27th September 2006 04:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
27th September 2006 04:27 PM
Saint Sway why is Ronnie wearing 2 jackets?? He's starting to dress as loopy as Keith...
27th September 2006 04:30 PM
F505
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
why is Ronnie wearing 2 jackets?? He's starting to dress as loopy as Keith...

He can afford it. The Fall Tour is a big succes!
27th September 2006 04:40 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
F505 wrote:

He can afford it. The Fall Tour is a big succes!

Yes!!! Free t-shirts with every half-priced ticket order!!!!!
27th September 2006 05:06 PM
glencar
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Matt Damon is getting old fast!
27th September 2006 10:18 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Pic with very special thanks to Gyspy

27th September 2006 11:12 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

28th September 2006 12:11 AM
Taptrick

Damn. VEry nice, intimate pics.

28th September 2006 01:40 AM
GottaHaveHim WOW!!! Thanks so much, for the fantastic pics!!!!

Mick & Jack~~~SO damn cool!
28th September 2006 01:43 AM
Prodigal Son Sure Mick likes his songs in a Scorcese film, but if it were up to him he'd have "Streets of Love," and "Rain Fall Down" in there instead. Oh well, Mick's not quite a traditionalist. He doesn't look back all the time with fondness.
28th September 2006 07:22 AM
corgi37 Jack & Mick. They look like life-long buddies. I lived Nicholson's comment on the Stripped special where he said he was having a heart attack cause the band were on fire.
28th September 2006 07:41 AM
maumau she smiled sweetly:roseland=let it loose:beacon?....
cross fingers and email chuck

impressive photos
mick wears cool stuff and...well he wears his 60 years on his face

scorsese / di caprio make a good couple in moviemaking
28th September 2006 08:41 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
With Martin Scorsese (thanks moy)

Wow, I know Mick is not all that tall. Scorsese must be under 5'5. Now I like him even better.
28th September 2006 12:07 PM
texile
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Sure Mick likes his songs in a Scorcese film, but if it were up to him he'd have "Streets of Love," and "Rain Fall Down" in there instead. Oh well, Mick's not quite a traditionalist. He doesn't look back all the time with fondness.

true - but i think its vanity ....
mick wants to think sol is just as great as let it loose....
he wants to be contemporary.
28th September 2006 12:14 PM
glencar I hope Beacon gets Omaha'd!
28th September 2006 01:03 PM
Soldatti Mick looks great.
28th September 2006 01:09 PM
MrPleasant Nicholson used to smoke marijuana ashes (does he nowadays?).
28th September 2006 06:34 PM
texile jack might be a bigger slut than mick....
28th September 2006 06:39 PM
telecaster
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Jack & Mick. They look like life-long buddies. I lived Nicholson's comment on the Stripped special where he said he was having a heart attack cause the band were on fire.

Nicholson is godfather to one of Mick's 300 kids. Forgot which one
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)