ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Tim (seersuckersuit)
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger's Vocals in the 70's Return to archive
26th September 2006 10:52 PM
straycatblues After coming off one of his best vocal performence's on Goats Heads Soup with songs like 100 years ago, Angie, and Winter, Mick has two of his worst vocal performences on IORR and Black and Blue. He tries to be too dirty and rough sounding. for example:
If You Can't Rock Me-Mick slurs and growls the lyrics too much, making a potentially great song, into merely an average one. Fortunately, keith and mick taylor's guitar work is excellent.
Ain't Too Proud To Beg-You can hardly understand a word he's saying.
It's Only Rock and Roll-same as If You Can't Rock Me
Time Waits For No One-This is the big one for me, I think if Mick has a better vocal performance, this is a top five Stones song, hands down. Fantastic lyrics and Mick Taylor's Solos save this one, but what a travesty. the way he sings "nooo, not for meee" just irritates me". Unlike Sympathy where you can feel the power and emotion, it almost sounds like hes trying too hard to put emotion into it here.
Luxury-Shit song, with bad vocals. nuff said.
Dance Little Sister-not too bad, just a little bit below average.
Hot Stuff- What the fuck is this?
Hand of Fate-Same as Time waits. Great Riff, Rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, drums, and lyrics, but the sound of Jagger's voice leave something to be desired.
Cherry Oh Baby-same as Luxury.
Memory Motel-Same as Time Waits and Hand of Fate
Hey Negrita-here the rough sounding actually works, but it still could be a tad bit more polished
Melody-same as Hot Stuff
Crazy Mama-potentially very good to great song, vocals are again below average.

Fortunately, Mick cleaned up his act for Some girls (with the exception of "Lies").

However, i do believe that "till the next goodbye" is one of his BEST vocal performances.

just my thoughts...

26th September 2006 11:05 PM
Taptrick
I actually quite like about every example you gave. I think the screaming vocals of Dirty Work were a bad fall though. But even those come across better in the boot versions without the 80s production.

26th September 2006 11:13 PM
texile i like that growl....
back then, it sounded authentic and sexy.
27th September 2006 12:37 AM
Coming Down Again I couldn't agree less with a good portion of your analysis.
27th September 2006 01:31 AM
JOHNNYSTONED GEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ARE YOU KIDDING ME? JAGGER IS BRILLIANT ON BOTH LPS..
27th September 2006 04:20 AM
F505 Nothing wrong with Jagger's vocals on the two albums mentioned.
27th September 2006 07:19 AM
glencar
quote:
Coming Down Again wrote:
I couldn't agree less with a good portion of your analysis.

I think that's the general consensus!
27th September 2006 09:50 AM
jb Jagger's vocals in the 70's were simply the best..he kept the songs really moving and had, unlike the slow tempo he and the band embrace today...
27th September 2006 04:26 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. Mick was a fucking awesome powerhouse vocalist in the '70's.

IORR, in fact, is one of THE aboslute greatest rock vocals ever!

While Robert Plant was busy screeching like he just had his nuts cut off, Mick and Roger were showing people how rock singing is done.
27th September 2006 04:41 PM
Saint Sway Let It Loose was his masterpiece
27th September 2006 04:46 PM
F505
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Let It Loose was his masterpiece

Let it Loose was the band's masterpiece. That song is never surpassed. Never ever.
27th September 2006 04:47 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Jagger's vocals in the 70's were simply the best..he kept the songs really moving and had, unlike the slow tempo he and the band embrace today...

Amen !!!!

27th September 2006 04:58 PM
glencar straycatblues, you done been schooled!
27th September 2006 05:11 PM
Saint Sway Mick's scream in Sway is hair raisingly awesome!

That "Hey Heyyyyyyy HEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY Nowwwwwwww!!!" part

thats passion!
27th September 2006 07:04 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
straycatblues wrote:

27th September 2006 08:26 PM
tumbling dice
The best time of Jagger vocals!!
sway,I got the blues,Moonlight mile,Let it Loose,Shine a light,Winter,Angie,100 years a go,Memory motel and all the some girls album....
27th September 2006 08:53 PM
texile that wail in let let loose does it for me....

can he wail anymore.
27th September 2006 10:05 PM
ebmp I looove his vocals on Hand of Fate.. And how can you criticize Memorey Motel? I think thats one of his top 5 vocals ever
28th September 2006 01:04 AM
straycatblues IMO let it bleed and sticky fingers are his top 2 vocal performances, hands down. hand of fate? are u kidding me? you can hardly understand a word hes saying.
28th September 2006 02:15 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
straycatblues wrote:
IMO let it bleed and sticky fingers are his top 2 vocal performances, hands down. hand of fate? are u kidding me? you can hardly understand a word hes saying.

That's a criticism? I think that characterizes most of the Stones' best songs. You're a "uniter not a divider" in this thread.
28th September 2006 02:39 AM
Egbert
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
While Robert Plant was busy screeching like he just had his nuts cut off

Robert - nuts = Janis Joplin.
28th September 2006 11:43 AM
glencar
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:

That's a criticism? I think that characterizes most of the Stones' best songs. You're a "uniter not a divider" in this thread.

Yes, we're all united against this common threat!
28th September 2006 12:17 PM
F505 United we stand and firmly we will beat this evil!
28th September 2006 02:14 PM
Nasty Habits Anyone whose ears do not glaze over in awe at the sheer lungbusting blowout vocal of Crazy Mama is not hearing the same song I am. Not even MICK has ever dared attempt that particular holler live.
28th September 2006 02:41 PM
glencar
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Anyone whose ears do not glaze over in awe at the sheer lungbusting blowout vocal of Crazy Mama is not hearing the same song I am. Not even MICK has ever dared attempt that particular holler live.

I saw this live in 1997 at Philly. 20 years later & the holler was gone.
28th September 2006 03:47 PM
the good
quote:
straycatblues wrote:
After coming off one of his best vocal performence's on Goats Heads Soup with songs like 100 years ago, Angie, and Winter, Mick has two of his worst vocal performences on IORR and Black and Blue. He tries to be too dirty and rough sounding. for example:
If You Can't Rock Me-Mick slurs and growls the lyrics too much, making a potentially great song, into merely an average one. Fortunately, keith and mick taylor's guitar work is excellent.
Ain't Too Proud To Beg-You can hardly understand a word he's saying.
It's Only Rock and Roll-same as If You Can't Rock Me
Time Waits For No One-This is the big one for me, I think if Mick has a better vocal performance, this is a top five Stones song, hands down. Fantastic lyrics and Mick Taylor's Solos save this one, but what a travesty. the way he sings "nooo, not for meee" just irritates me". Unlike Sympathy where you can feel the power and emotion, it almost sounds like hes trying too hard to put emotion into it here.
Dance Little Sister-not too bad, just a little bit below average.
Hot Stuff- What the fuck is this?
Hand of Fate-Same as Time waits. Great Riff, Rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, drums, and lyrics, but the sound of Jagger's voice leave something to be desired.
Cherry Oh Baby-same as Luxury.
Memory Motel-Same as Time Waits and Hand of Fate
Hey Negrita-here the rough sounding actually works, but it still could be a tad bit more polished
Melody-same as Hot Stuff
Crazy Mama-potentially very good to great song, vocals are again below average.

Fortunately, Mick cleaned up his act for Some girls (with the exception of "Lies").

However, i do believe that "till the next goodbye" is one of his BEST vocal performances.

just my thoughts...

I fart in your general direction.

Just my thoughts...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)